BIOS-embedded Windows 8 product keys - reinstall troubles?

Those purchasing Windows 8 PCs are noticing that the small "Certificate of Authenticity" that is normally home to the product key is missing, and instead a "Genuine Microsoft" label has replaced it.

This seems to be a cause of concern, and is prompting a number of questions.

Rather than using a sticker, PC manufacturers are instead embedding the product key -- associated with a fingerprint of the hardware -- into the BIOS/UEFI firmware on the motherboard. This is part of Microsoft new OEM Activation 3.0 (OA 3.0) mechanism and has been designed to combat piracy and, according to my OEM contacts, makes it easier for OEMs to order new keys from Microsoft, and even return unused keys back to Microsoft.

But what does it mean to the end user?

Read more at source:
Will BIOS-embedded Windows 8 product keys cause reinstall troubles? | ZDNet

Embedded, OEM keys do have advantages. For one, you'll never lose it. Or have to worry about the number being rubbed off of a worn COA sticker to where you can't read it. If you have legit official install media you normally don't need to even know what it is. Microsoft install media will read and use it automatically. The one big drawback, at this time, is the OEM's not supplying real install media with a new PC. This isn't anything new though. They did it with Windows 7 too. And even when you got disks a lot of the time they were recovery disks not Windows install Media. The embedded keys actually make life easier. With Windows 7 and earlier, to use the OEM BIOS SLIC table you had to nave custom install media from that OEM, Normal Windows Retail disks won't use the SLIC table. If you had one of those disks you had to use the code on the COA sticker, if you could read it that is. If it was missing or worn so you couldn't read it you were SOL and had to buy a new Windows License. With the embedded key, it always going to be there and always usable.
I will grant you, that embedded OEMs may have its advantages, but it does not mean they can't tell you what the embedded key is. It is almost deceitful, why make my machine such a big mystery? Why not give us the key? It is a simple matter of control, company control.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 7 & 8
Embedded, OEM keys do have advantages. For one, you'll never lose it. Or have to worry about the number being rubbed off of a worn COA sticker to where you can't read it. If you have legit official install media you normally don't need to even know what it is. Microsoft install media will read and use it automatically. The one big drawback, at this time, is the OEM's not supplying real install media with a new PC. This isn't anything new though. They did it with Windows 7 too. And even when you got disks a lot of the time they were recovery disks not Windows install Media. The embedded keys actually make life easier. With Windows 7 and earlier, to use the OEM BIOS SLIC table you had to nave custom install media from that OEM, Normal Windows Retail disks won't use the SLIC table. If you had one of those disks you had to use the code on the COA sticker, if you could read it that is. If it was missing or worn so you couldn't read it you were SOL and had to buy a new Windows License. With the embedded key, it always going to be there and always usable.
I will grant you, that embedded OEMs may have its advantages, but it does not mean they can't tell you what the embedded key is. It is almost deceitful, why make my machine such a big mystery? Why not give us the key? It is a simple matter of control, company control.

I'm just surmising but in the first place, before Windows 8.1 was released, you didn't need to know what it was. The only time you need to know it is to activate 8.1 with your 8.0 key. In the past, the product code on the COA sticker on an OEM PC, was not the product code that that PC activated with. They did not match. It didn't matter what PC the sticker went on as long as the version matched the installed version. Each OEM had a common key they used as part of the SLIC table and OEM activation. With windows 8 they changed that. Each PC now has a unique key. If they were going to print the code on the COA sticker they would have to match the sticker to the PC with that code. Guess what happens it you mess that up and a sticker gets out of sequence. You have a bunch or PC's where the sticker doesn't match the actual code in the BIOS. That would cause a lot of issues. The code on the sticker would not work on that PC as its already in use on another. Think of the complaints over that. It's much easier to just put a common COA sticker on each PC. If you were to call the OEM and ask what is my code, how are they going to know? They shipped millions or more of that model PC. Its not as easy as you might think for them to just look it up. I don't think they are deliberately trying to hide it from you. It is easily retrievable with utilities posted on this site.
http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/27129-product-key-find-windows-8-a.html

If they didn't want you to know what it was it would be encrypted in the BIOS, it's not, it's in plain text.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Education 64 Bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Asus
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II X4 980 Black Edition Deneb 3.7GHz
    Motherboard
    ASUS M4N68T-M V2 µATX Motherboard
    Memory
    8GB 4GBx2 Kingston PC10600 DDR3 1333 Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA Geforce GT640 2 Gig DDR3 PCIe
    Sound Card
    VIA VT1708s High Definition Audio 8-channel Onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    22" LG E2242 1080p and 2 19" I-INC AG191D
    Screen Resolution
    1280x1024 - 1920x1080 - 1280x1024
    Hard Drives
    Crucial MX100 256 GB SSD and 500 GB WD Blue SATA
    PSU
    Thermaltake TR 620
    Case
    Power Up Black ATX Mid-Tower Case
    Cooling
    Stock heatsink fan
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wireless K350 Wave
    Mouse
    Logitech M570 Trackball and T650 TouchPad
    Internet Speed
    80 Mbps Down 30 Mbps Up
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    HP DVD1040e Lightscribe - External USB2

I'm just surmising but in the first place, before Windows 8.1 was released, you didn't need to know what it was. The only time you need to know it is to activate 8.1 with your 8.0 key. In the past, the product code on the COA sticker on an OEM PC, was not the product code that that PC activated with. They did not match. It didn't matter what PC the sticker went on as long as the version matched the installed version. Each OEM had a common key they used as part of the SLIC table and OEM activation. With windows 8 they changed that. Each PC now has a unique key. If they were going to print the code on the COA sticker they would have to match the sticker to the PC with that code. Guess what happens it you mess that up and a sticker gets out of sequence. You have a bunch or PC's where the sticker doesn't match the actual code in the BIOS. That would cause a lot of issues. The code on the sticker would not work on that PC as its already in use on another. Think of the complaints over that. It's much easier to just put a common COA sticker on each PC. If you were to call the OEM and ask what is my code, how are they going to know? They shipped millions or more of that model PC. Its not as easy as you might think for them to just look it up. I don't think they are deliberately trying to hide it from you. It is easily retrievable with utilities posted on this site.
http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/27129-product-key-find-windows-8-a.html

If they didn't want you to know what it was it would be encrypted in the BIOS, it's not, it's in plain text.
Maybe Windows 9 will be free and the subject will be mute

I guess my real gripe is, that Media Center was free on Windows 7 and now you have to purchase and upgrade to Pro then you have purchase Media Center, and re-installs are all tied to the same machine. Sorry I even had an opinion on the topic.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 7 & 8

I guess my real gripe is, that Media Center was free on Windows 7 and now you have to purchase and upgrade to Pro then you have purchase Media Center, and re-installs are all tied to the same machine. Sorry I even had an opinion on the topic.

I hear you in a way. Although, I've hardly ever used Media Center even on 7, personally don't like it and have always found other software that I liked more. Probably catch flak but I wouldn't pay $5 for Media Center.
Another case of hard to please everyone.

EDIT: Just added info. I watch OTA television and found setting up MCE was clunky and a nightmare. Way too many steps and questions, then if you want to change anything, back through the whole mess again. No thanks!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Acer V3 771G-6443
    CPU
    i5-3230m
    Motherboard
    Acer VA70_HC (U3E1)
    Memory
    8GB DDR3 PC3-12800 (800 MHz)
    Graphics Card(s)
    HD4000 + GeForce GT 730M
    Sound Card
    Realtek High Definition Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    17" Generic PnP Display on Intel HD Graphics 4000
    Screen Resolution
    1600x900 pixels
    Hard Drives
    Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250 GB
    ADATA SSD SP900 128GB
    PSU
    90 watt brick
    Mouse
    Bluetooth
    Antivirus
    Comodo
    Other Info
    Asus RT-AC56R dual-band WRT router (Merlin firmware). Intel 7260.HMWWB.R dual-band ac wireless adapter.

I hear you in a way. Although, I've hardly ever used Media Center even on 7, personally don't like it and have always found other software that I liked more. Probably catch flak but I wouldn't pay $5 for Media Center.
Another case of hard to please everyone.

EDIT: Just added info. I watch OTA television and found setting up MCE was clunky and a nightmare. Way too many steps and questions, then if you want to change anything, back through the whole mess again. No thanks!
We have Comcast HD and it saves us $40 a month in set top box fees. We use Silicondust's HD Homerun Prime's to attach units to network and it was easy, they had precise instructions and great support. We can record up to several weeks in advance and have an extensive dvd collection that it works well with. We love it. The entire household prefer it, over the set top boxes, it seemed every unit had reception problems, with WMC we have perfect pictures.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 7 & 8
I use Easy HDTV DVR with the SiliconDust HDHR3-US. Love it for its simplicity but not sure it would work in your situation. Oh well, I guess we digress from the thread, just trading experiences now.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Acer V3 771G-6443
    CPU
    i5-3230m
    Motherboard
    Acer VA70_HC (U3E1)
    Memory
    8GB DDR3 PC3-12800 (800 MHz)
    Graphics Card(s)
    HD4000 + GeForce GT 730M
    Sound Card
    Realtek High Definition Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    17" Generic PnP Display on Intel HD Graphics 4000
    Screen Resolution
    1600x900 pixels
    Hard Drives
    Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250 GB
    ADATA SSD SP900 128GB
    PSU
    90 watt brick
    Mouse
    Bluetooth
    Antivirus
    Comodo
    Other Info
    Asus RT-AC56R dual-band WRT router (Merlin firmware). Intel 7260.HMWWB.R dual-band ac wireless adapter.
I snagged 4 Media Center Keys when Microsoft was offering them up for free. For what I use Media Center for I likely wouldn't buy it. I'll happily use the free upgrades I do have though. I agree that keeping track of what key was used on what PC can be a pain, but I'm sure you can see why they do it that way. Your only supposed to use any one key on any one PC at any one time. New use on different hardware looks like a second install. If you do a reinstall on one of your PC's, and then upgrade to Pro with a key already used on one of your other PC\s. Its technically using that key on two PC's at once, which isn't allowed. If you use the same key used on that PC the first time it was upgraded to Pro you won't have any issues activating. If Microsoft didn't track what key was used on what PC people would just use the same key all their PC's and get one or more free upgrades. Checks and balances.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Education 64 Bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Asus
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II X4 980 Black Edition Deneb 3.7GHz
    Motherboard
    ASUS M4N68T-M V2 µATX Motherboard