BIOS-embedded Windows 8 product keys - reinstall troubles?

Those purchasing Windows 8 PCs are noticing that the small "Certificate of Authenticity" that is normally home to the product key is missing, and instead a "Genuine Microsoft" label has replaced it.

This seems to be a cause of concern, and is prompting a number of questions.

Rather than using a sticker, PC manufacturers are instead embedding the product key -- associated with a fingerprint of the hardware -- into the BIOS/UEFI firmware on the motherboard. This is part of Microsoft new OEM Activation 3.0 (OA 3.0) mechanism and has been designed to combat piracy and, according to my OEM contacts, makes it easier for OEMs to order new keys from Microsoft, and even return unused keys back to Microsoft.

But what does it mean to the end user?

Read more at source:
Will BIOS-embedded Windows 8 product keys cause reinstall troubles? | ZDNet

Is there any charge on ordering the Recovery disk if my Dell is only 4 months' new?

There likely will be, as it was you that messed it up. I'm not trying to be a smart @ss, but its definitely not their fault. They won't consider it a defect that's for sure.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Education 64 Bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Asus
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II X4 980 Black Edition Deneb 3.7GHz
    Motherboard
    ASUS M4N68T-M V2 µATX Motherboard
    Memory
    8GB 4GBx2 Kingston PC10600 DDR3 1333 Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA Geforce GT640 2 Gig DDR3 PCIe
    Sound Card
    VIA VT1708s High Definition Audio 8-channel Onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    22" LG E2242 1080p and 2 19" I-INC AG191D
    Screen Resolution
    1280x1024 - 1920x1080 - 1280x1024
    Hard Drives
    Crucial MX100 256 GB SSD and 500 GB WD Blue SATA
    PSU
    Thermaltake TR 620
    Case
    Power Up Black ATX Mid-Tower Case
    Cooling
    Stock heatsink fan
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wireless K350 Wave
    Mouse
    Logitech M570 Trackball and T650 TouchPad
    Internet Speed
    80 Mbps Down 30 Mbps Up
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    HP DVD1040e Lightscribe - External USB2
I have one of these machines. I have replaced the hard drive with an SSD, and even used a clean version of Windows 8.1 instead of the OEM reimage. I have had zero problems, and in fact love it. It automatically associates the OEM license with my new version of Windows. So I still have my other license, and don't have to worry about the license locking on me at some point for multiple reinstalls. Personally, I love the design.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7/8
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    i7-3770k
    Motherboard
    Asus
    Memory
    16GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVidia 630
    Monitor(s) Displays
    LG 23 inch LED
    Screen Resolution
    1680X1050
    Hard Drives
    1 internal 1tb, 1 external 3tb
I have one of these machines. I have replaced the hard drive with an SSD, and even used a clean version of Windows 8.1 instead of the OEM reimage. I have had zero problems, and in fact love it. It automatically associates the OEM license with my new version of Windows. So I still have my other license, and don't have to worry about the license locking on me at some point for multiple reinstalls. Personally, I love the design.

Yea, if you have retail disc or an ISO it is great. But many people fail to to make any image or backup media of their OEM install then something like this happens and they have nothing to recover with.
Live and learn as they say.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Acer V3 771G-6443
    CPU
    i5-3230m
    Motherboard
    Acer VA70_HC (U3E1)
    Memory
    8GB DDR3 PC3-12800 (800 MHz)
    Graphics Card(s)
    HD4000 + GeForce GT 730M
    Sound Card
    Realtek High Definition Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    17" Generic PnP Display on Intel HD Graphics 4000
    Screen Resolution
    1600x900 pixels
    Hard Drives
    Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250 GB
    ADATA SSD SP900 128GB
    PSU
    90 watt brick
    Mouse
    Bluetooth
    Antivirus
    Comodo
    Other Info
    Asus RT-AC56R dual-band WRT router (Merlin firmware). Intel 7260.HMWWB.R dual-band ac wireless adapter.

Yea, if you have retail disc or an ISO it is great. But many people fail to to make any image or backup media of their OEM install then something like this happens and they have nothing to recover with.

yes Popeye, you 100% correct. But it is too late for someone like me. Till now, I still confused on the function of "Factory Default Recovery". If I created this "Factory Default Recovery" disks, in future, when my laptop down or crashed, can I use these "Factory Default Recovery" disks to re-install my Windows OS? if yes, is that means these Disks have containing the Window ISO file inside?

My Computer

System One

• OS

yes Popeye, you 100% correct. But it is too late for someone like me. Till now, I still confused on the function of "Factory Default Recovery". If I created this "Factory Default Recovery" disks, in future, when my laptop down or crashed, can I use these "Factory Default Recovery" disks to re-install my Windows OS? if yes, is that means these Disks have containing the Window ISO file inside?

Yes, basically, but normally they are wim files versus ISO and some manufacturers allow creation of discs while others flash drives and some both. Acer has a utility that only creates a USB recovery stick, no disc(s).

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Acer V3 771G-6443
    CPU
    i5-3230m
    Motherboard
    Acer VA70_HC (U3E1)
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    HD4000 + GeForce GT 730M
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1600x900 pixels
    Hard Drives
    ADATA SSD SP900 128GB
    PSU
    90 watt brick
    Mouse
    Bluetooth
    Antivirus
    Comodo
    Other Info
    Asus RT-AC56R dual-band WRT router (Merlin firmware). Intel 7260.HMWWB.R dual-band ac wireless adapter.

My ASUS laptop came with Windows 8.0. If I use my 8.0 TechNet ISO the embedded product code is used automatically and 8.0 Core is installed. Activates automatically online too. As far as I know my TechNet ISO's are identical to Retail Disks. If I use an 8.1 ISO the embedded code is ignored and I get prompted to enter one. I could install with a generic code and activate with my 8.0 code but its just easier to enter one of my TechNet keys. That way I can skip the extra step to upgrade to Pro, which I would do anyway.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Asus
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Thermaltake TR 620
    Case
    Cooling
    Stock heatsink fan
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    80 Mbps Down 30 Mbps Up
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
What was the question here? I think I missed it.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Pro Prieview x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    MacBook Pro Core2Duo
    CPU
    T7600
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon X1600
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Internal
    Screen Resolution
    1440 x 800
    Hard Drives
    40GB
    Keyboard
    Apple
    Mouse
    Apple
    Internet Speed
    Varies
    Browser
    Various
    Antivirus
    Defender

Yes, basically, but normally they are wim files versus ISO and some manufacturers allow creation of discs while others flash drives and some both. Acer has a utility that only creates a USB recovery stick, no disc(s).

Yeah, with the recovery media its not so much installing as it is restoring an image. After the recovery its back to the OOBE, Out Of the Box Experience. It's just like it was the first time you turned it on. The recovery media contains an image of the original factory install.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Asus
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Thermaltake TR 620
    Case
    Cooling
    Stock heatsink fan
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    80 Mbps Down 30 Mbps Up
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Acer V3 771G-6443
    CPU
    i5-3230m
    Motherboard
    Acer VA70_HC (U3E1)
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    HD4000 + GeForce GT 730M
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1600x900 pixels
    Hard Drives
    ADATA SSD SP900 128GB
    PSU
    90 watt brick
    Mouse
    Bluetooth
    Antivirus
    Comodo
    Other Info
What was the question here? I think I missed it.

The bump to this old thread was to ask how to find out what the embedded BIOS key was. And to state the it being hidden was a potential issue for that user.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Asus
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Thermaltake TR 620
    Case
    Cooling
    Stock heatsink fan
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    80 Mbps Down 30 Mbps Up
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
HI,

You need the "Retail OEM" install media to utilise your embedded windows license. Technet versions are never Retail either so I'm pretty sure it was never using you embedded license. The Technet version you installed maybe was volume licensed? Did you ever verify which edition it was and the license key?

Unfortunately for you, Retail OEM Install media are only distributed to OEMs so you're only chance is to download it illegally.

So anyway, a factory recovery disk would usually restore your machine to "Out-Of-Box" state. The recovery disk usually contains a custom windows image but nowadays, the vendors keep the windows image on a recovery boot partition hidden on your hard disk.

Seeing that your hardware is still under warranty, Dell should offer to restore your machine to factory. If you've voided the warranty by swapping the hard drive, then I'm sure our wouldn't be too difficult to find the Windows OEM Media... Or maybe even go to your nearest Dell reseller and ask them.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Enterprise
By the way, if you think your technet Win 8.0 install is retail, you should be able to upgrade to Win 8.1 for free via the Microsoft Store (rhe one on the Metro screen). Make sure your Windows Updates are up too date, otherwise the Windows 8.1 free upgrade won't appear in the store.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Enterprise
HI,

You need the "Retail OEM" install media to utilise your embedded windows license. Technet versions are never Retail either so I'm pretty sure it was never using you embedded license. The Technet version you installed maybe was volume licensed? Did you ever verify which edition it was and the license key?

Unfortunately for you, Retail OEM Install media are only distributed to OEMs so you're only chance is to download it illegally.

So anyway, a factory recovery disk would usually restore your machine to "Out-Of-Box" state. The recovery disk usually contains a custom windows image but nowadays, the vendors keep the windows image on a recovery boot partition hidden on your hard disk.

Seeing that your hardware is still under warranty, Dell should offer to restore your machine to factory. If you've voided the warranty by swapping the hard drive, then I'm sure our wouldn't be too difficult to find the Windows OEM Media... Or maybe even go to your nearest Dell reseller and ask them.

I verified that my TechNet ISO did in fact use my embedded key. 8.0 Core was installed automatically. And no it was not volume license, it was Windows 8 (multiple editions) (x64) - DVD (English) which can install Core or Pro. My TechNet and MSDN keys are listed as being Retail Keys.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Asus
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Thermaltake TR 620
    Case
    Cooling
    Stock heatsink fan
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    80 Mbps Down 30 Mbps Up
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
By the way, if you think your technet Win 8.0 install is retail, you should be able to upgrade to Win 8.1 for free via the Microsoft Store (rhe one on the Metro screen). Make sure your Windows Updates are up too date, otherwise the Windows 8.1 free upgrade won't appear in the store.

I did upgrade to 8.1 on my laptop as a test and had issues so I have no desire to go down that road again. I can do a clean install of 8.1 and avoid the whole update download etc. I could have saved using one of my TechNet keys but I have more than I need so I used them. It's a lot quicker and easier to just clean install 8.1 Pro and be done with it.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Asus
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Thermaltake TR 620
    Case
    Cooling
    Stock heatsink fan
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    80 Mbps Down 30 Mbps Up
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Lenovo G580
    CPU
    Intel Core i5-3230M
    Memory
    8 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel HD Graphics 4000
    Browser
    Microsoft Edge
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, standard user account
    Other Info
    UEFI firmware (BIOS) embedded Windows 8 product key.
Totally agree. . the factory images are always full of bloatware. Plus you get extra disk space if you blow away the recovery partition and compile a USB recovery disk or burn it to dvds.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Enterprise
Totally disagree, you have options to buy OEM manufacturer's PC's with clean install DVD's Windows 7 & 8 (8.1)

It is all about doing your homework.

Some OEM manufacturer's are now install Windows 7.

My OEM test rig,Windows 8 specs:

OEM said:
OS Provided Windows 8 Pro 64-bit Edition Microsoft Office Preloaded Includes a pre-loaded image of select Microsoft Office 2010 suites. Purchase an Office 2010 Product Key Card or disc to activate preloaded software on this PC. Software Drivers & Utilities, Nero Essentials S, Microsoft Office 2010 Starter, Norton Internet Security (60 days trial), Recovery, Windows 7 / Windows 8 Pro Twin-Pack recovery DVD

My OEM test rig,Windows 8.1 specs:

OEM said:
Compatible operating systems

Microsoft Windows 8, Windows 7 Professional 64-bit, Windows 7 Professional 32-bit, Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit, Windows 7 Home Basic (EM) 32-bit,\r\nWindows Vista, Windows XP, \r\nopenSUSE Linux

Windows 8.1 specs:
OEM said:
Windows 7 Professional Load with Windows 8.1 Pro license + Office 2013 trial,

Both rig's came with OEM manufacturer's clean install DVD's Windows 7 & 8 (8.1)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    ME, XP,Vista,Win7,Win8,Win8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Other Info
    Notebooks x 3

Desktops x 5

Towers x 4

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10.0.10122
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    My Build - Vorttex Ultimate
    CPU
    Core i7 @ 4500 MHz
    Motherboard
    ASUS Z87-Plus
    Memory
    32GB DDR3 @ 1822 MHz (OC)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Radeon R9 280X 3GB @ 1180 / 6800 MHz
    Sound Card
    7.1 HDA
    Monitor(s) Displays
    LCD LG 22" + CRT LG 17"
    Screen Resolution
    1760 x 1320 / 1280 x 960
    Hard Drives
    1 x 240 GB SSD (System)
    3 x 500 GB HDD (Data/Media)
    1 x 2000 GB e-HDD (Backup)
    PSU
    ThermalTake 1000W PSU
    Case
    Corsair Carbide R300
    Cooling
    Corsair H60 (Push-Pull)
    Keyboard
    Microsoft Wireless Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Wireless Mouse
    Internet Speed
    60 Mbps (Down) 5 Mbps (Up)
    Browser
    IE, FF, Chrome
    Antivirus
    AVG Internet Security 2015
    Other Info
    Some wired stuff
Sure you have that option, but how many OEM's actually let you do that, and at what price? I also bet it's not every system they sell. The average Joe is still (for the most part) stuck with the bloated factory OEM install and no real install media.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Asus
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Thermaltake TR 620
    Case
    Cooling
    Stock heatsink fan
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    80 Mbps Down 30 Mbps Up
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
Stop buying big box OEM PC's and support your local PC Guy

:thumbsup:

:ditto: Sort of. I build my own desktop PC's so I installed the OS of my choice and skiped all the unneeded bloat. Not so easy to do if you buy a laptop or tablet though. I'm lucky and have an MSDN subscription so I wiped both our laptops and did clean installs on SSD's. Not everybody can do that. Getting your hands on the ISO's can be a pain for a lot of people.

I don't see myself ever buying a premade OEM desktop PC, and even if I did It wouldn't be long before I reinstalled the OS my way.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Asus
    CPU
    Motherboard