Are You Still Using Windows 8 Developer Preview?

There was lots of hype coming up to Microsoft’s Build conference which was held in September this year. We knew that we would all be getting out first real look at Windows 8, but the main reason we were so excited was because it was rumoured that the first developer preview of Windows 8 would be made available to us all. Our wish came true, and every Windows enthusiast immediately started downloading it.

In fact it was so popular, that over 3 million copies of the developer preview have been downloaded to date. I think it’s fairly safe to conclude that all the people who downloaded the developer preview went and installed it, but the question is:

Are you still using the Windows 8 developer preview?

Are You Still Using Windows 8 Developer Preview?

Now, if you ask me, a solution that allows me to run Android apps in windows in the Win7 desktop is a much better solution than Windows 8. There are 400,000 Android apps and the number is growing. There are but a dozen or so Win8 Metro apps. How many of you agree on this???

I have to agree with this point, but the chances for such solotion are minimal :(

What makes you believe this? The process is under way and will pick up steam with Win8.

Look at this
Windows 7 gets transformed into Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich - The Inquirer

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 7
Well. No one feel safe doing things with unsettled OS ;) A matter of choice then ;)
Working with Windows 7 is completely guaranteed. Stay safe and sound. I did work with Win 7 from its beta to the latest release.
But I like giving try myself messing up with WDP :) Running the 64-bit version at all my three Desktop PCs and Mobile. Programs and games are in good shape and smoothly running. Just wonder why there is nothing more coming to have its beta version or something sounds like.
Feel almost nothing to complain, except the annoying shutdown problem. And, waiting for the Beta... :(

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Home Built system
    CPU
    Core i5
    Motherboard
    Intel DH55PJ
    Memory
    4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI 4650
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD Integrated
    Monitor(s) Displays
    LG Flatron L1742S; LG Flatron 19"; Samsung TV 48"
    Screen Resolution
    1280:1024; 1366:768;1920:1080
    Hard Drives
    SSD 256 GB
    Seagate Barracuda 500 GB
    WDC 1 TB
    PSU
    Power
    Case
    Simbadda
    Cooling
    Conventional
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wireless
    Mouse
    Logitech Wireless
    Internet Speed
    1.4 MBPS
    Other Info
    External HDD WDC 2 TB
    Dial Up Modem Huawei
    Home-made Home Theater

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10.0.10122
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    My Build - Vorttex Ultimate
    CPU
    Core i7 @ 4500 MHz
    Motherboard
    ASUS Z87-Plus
    Memory
    32GB DDR3 @ 1822 MHz (OC)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Radeon R9 280X 3GB @ 1180 / 6800 MHz
    Sound Card
    7.1 HDA
    Monitor(s) Displays
    LCD LG 22" + CRT LG 17"
    Screen Resolution
    1760 x 1320 / 1280 x 960
    Hard Drives
    1 x 240 GB SSD (System)
    3 x 500 GB HDD (Data/Media)
    1 x 2000 GB e-HDD (Backup)
    PSU
    ThermalTake 1000W PSU
    Case
    Corsair Carbide R300
    Cooling
    Corsair H60 (Push-Pull)
    Keyboard
    Microsoft Wireless Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Wireless Mouse
    Internet Speed
    60 Mbps (Down) 5 Mbps (Up)
    Browser
    IE, FF, Chrome
    Antivirus
    AVG Internet Security 2015
    Other Info
    Some wired stuff

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home Built system
    CPU
    Core i5
    Motherboard
    Intel DH55PJ
    Memory
    4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI 4650
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD Integrated
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    SSD 256 GB
    Seagate Barracuda 500 GB
    WDC 1 TB
    PSU
    Power
    Case
    Simbadda
    Cooling
    Conventional
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wireless
    Mouse
    Logitech Wireless
    Internet Speed
    1.4 MBPS
    Other Info
    External HDD WDC 2 TB
    Dial Up Modem Huawei
    Home-made Home Theater
Happy to hear that.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home Built system
    CPU
    Core i5
    Motherboard
    Intel DH55PJ
    Memory
    4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI 4650
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD Integrated
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    SSD 256 GB
    Seagate Barracuda 500 GB
    WDC 1 TB
    PSU
    Power
    Case
    Simbadda
    Cooling
    Conventional
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wireless
    Mouse
    Logitech Wireless
    Internet Speed
    1.4 MBPS
    Other Info
    External HDD WDC 2 TB
    Dial Up Modem Huawei
    Home-made Home Theater

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    1 TB Seagate Barracuda (starting to hate Seagate)
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    Windows 8.1 is installed on a SanDisk Ultra Plus 256 GB
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Arctic Cooler with 3 heatpipes
    Keyboard
    Logitech K750 wireless solar powered keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, but I might go back on KIS 2014
Its unfortunate to say, I've given up on Windows 8. It's interface takes much learning curve and my drivers, games and software are very glitchy. I got my new computer, and I feel back at home on Windows 7. It's a real shame that Microsoft only gives OS's a few years to live, in my mind Win 7 has superseded every OS I've used. I'm not one to put down an offer to try out an OS but this time MS has gone too far and made too many changes. In fact, they simplified the PC too much!

There were features I liked in Windows 8, but having to remember there's no more start menu crosses the line. I found myself using my phone to remotely shutdown and restart the computer rather than from the computer itself.

Microsoft also crossed the line by shutting the gadget network down. I hardly use the sidebar anymore because of them shutting everything down. Let's face facts, MS only cares about its dollars, not the people. It's sad I have to use windows to do my everyday tasks and to use my day to day devices otherwise I'd be using *gasp* Linux.

MS has one more shot to impress me with Windows 8 and its successors, and I hope that the desktop will rule again.

Austin, I agree with you 100%. Now, Win7 is not going anywhere, it will be around for at least seven more years, at least.

Now, for desktop gadgets, you can find several of them in a number of sites in the Web. For example, the new Pandora gadget -which is great, by the way - can be found in the Pandora site. Download it and enjoy. You can also still find the gadgets for various radio stations (NPR, BBC and others). There are various weather gadgets as well that work excellently.

The gadgets for Win7 are far more efficient than the stupid (and I would like to emphasize stupid) full screen apps of Win8. Why would one need a full screen app in a 24'' - 30'' inch monitor for weather or Pandora????? The Pandora gadget, is small but still shows all the stations, what is playing, the up and down buttons, volume controls and displays the album art. In a 24'' inch screen, it occupies a tiny place in the desktop and it is always there. I do not need to switch to it, and I do not need to launch it or anything like this. Win8 is just a Phone OS that runs the desktop as a task. It is nothing more, it is a lobotomized version of an OS for the Y generation for which the concept of computing is the iPhone.

In the future, I can see myself migrating to either OSX or Linux and running Windows transparently as a virtual task. In Linux, one can easily achieve this with VM Workstation 8. Thus, instead of having access to silly, little phone apps, at least I will be having access to industrial strength desktop applications alongside my Windows applications. I am sure that Google can also easily produce a desktop version of Android that would run the Windows desktop in a virtual machine (if one would want a better mobile OS in their desktop). The Android ICS "desktop" is far nicer and far more animated than the "overtiled" Win8.

Win8 will be met with derision, this much is clear. It is trying to cancel the way 99% of Windows installations work. Some will fall along thinking that they are "trendy", but they are simply suckers for MS PR. The main reason for Win8 is to sell phones and tablets, condition the users to the brain-damaged "Metro" interface and sell apps by the bushload (apps that one got for free with the desktop gadgets!!!).

Oh..well!!!

One opinion out of many. Here, a forum dedicated for a new Windows OS that was up and running long before an alpha build of 8 was out, hosts many people that like it or hate it. But overall, the feeling is more passive, not resistive. I'd like to discuss Windows 8 and the potential of what a new interface can do.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
Austin, I agree with you 100%. Now, Win7 is not going anywhere, it will be around for at least seven more years, at least.

Considering that XP is still alive that must be true

The gadgets for Win7 are far more efficient than the stupid (and I would like to emphasize stupid) full screen apps of Win8.

And I do bvelieve that some developers will keep createting gadgets for Windows 8 desktop

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10.0.10122
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    My Build - Vorttex Ultimate
    CPU
    Core i7 @ 4500 MHz
    Motherboard
    ASUS Z87-Plus
    Memory
    32GB DDR3 @ 1822 MHz (OC)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Radeon R9 280X 3GB @ 1180 / 6800 MHz
    Sound Card
    7.1 HDA
    Monitor(s) Displays
    LCD LG 22" + CRT LG 17"
    Screen Resolution
    1760 x 1320 / 1280 x 960
    Hard Drives
    1 x 240 GB SSD (System)
    3 x 500 GB HDD (Data/Media)
    1 x 2000 GB e-HDD (Backup)
    PSU
    ThermalTake 1000W PSU
    Case
    Corsair Carbide R300
    Cooling
    Corsair H60 (Push-Pull)
    Keyboard
    Microsoft Wireless Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Wireless Mouse
    Internet Speed
    60 Mbps (Down) 5 Mbps (Up)
    Browser
    IE, FF, Chrome
    Antivirus
    AVG Internet Security 2015
    Other Info
    Some wired stuff

Considering that XP is still alive that must be true

The gadgets for Win7 are far more efficient than the stupid (and I would like to emphasize stupid) full screen apps of Win8.

And I do bvelieve that some developers will keep createting gadgets for Windows 8 desktop

Really? Where do you hear this? First of all, the desktop is that of Win7 (no major changes have occured there, apart from making it more difficult to get access to). Microsoft, in its web site, indicates that it would discourage this. You should read it.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 7
One opinion out of many. Here, a forum dedicated for a new Windows OS that was up and running long before an alpha build of 8 was out, hosts many people that like it or hate it. But overall, the feeling is more passive, not resistive. I'd like to discuss Windows 8 and the potential of what a new interface can do.

You already know what the "new" interface can do. It can run full screen Metro-style apps. It can do nothing else. This is not going to change.

By the way, the "Metro-style" interface is not new...not by a long shot. It was for years in "Windows Media" and then in Zune. There is nothing new about it. It has never ignited anybody's interest.

If you want to be passive, this is, of course, your choice. You do not have to "eat" what Microsoft dishes out, you know.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 7
Yep still plodding along with it.

That and other operating systems. I hate to sound old school but I prefer XP "still" on a system with low memory and low end CPU. Millions of workstations can't be wrong. :)

That opinion's not going to change until the final farewell XP update. :D

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7&8
    Lennovo M55p
    CPU
    E6600
    Motherboard
    Lennovo
    Memory
    8gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia 9500gt
Simply put. . .yes.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8, (VM win7, XP, Vista)
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    HP Pavilion p1423w
    CPU
    Intel Core i5 3330 Ivy Bridge
    Motherboard
    Foxconn - 2ADA Ivy Brige
    Memory
    16 GB 1066MHz DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD 5450
    Sound Card
    HD Realteck (Onboard)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Mitsubishi LED TV/Montior HD, Dell 23 HD, Hanspree 25" HD
    Screen Resolution
    Mit. 1980-1080, Dell 2048-115, Hanspree 1920-10802
    Hard Drives
    1 SanDisk 240Gig SSD, 2 Samsung 512Gig SSDs
    Case
    Tower
    Cooling
    Original (Fans)
    Keyboard
    Microsoft Keyboard 2000
    Mouse
    Microsoft Optical Mouse 5000
    Internet Speed
    1.3 (350 to 1024 if lucky)
    Browser
    Firefox 19.1
    Antivirus
    MSE-Defender
Yep still plodding along with it.

That and other operating systems. I hate to sound old school but I prefer XP "still" on a system with low memory and low end CPU. Millions of workstations can't be wrong. :)

That opinion's not going to change until the final farewell XP update. :D

I found that Win7 runs acceptably well in underpowered systems, about as well as WinXP. One may not want to spend the extra money, but the security considerations make it worth it.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 7

Really? Where do you hear this? First of all, the desktop is that of Win7 (no major changes have occured there, apart from making it more difficult to get access to). Microsoft, in its web site, indicates that it would discourage this. You should read it.
Well, there are third party sites that still release new versions of their desktop gadgets after some time and I still check for them occasionally. Desktop gadgets are usable on Vista, Windows 7 and the WDP. One of the most famous gadgets is All CPU Meter, still displayed on Microsoft's personalization site can be downloaded on its own website as well as some other gadgets of the same company. I still use Calendar, Clock and All CPU Meter on Windows 7 and WDP.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Ultimate, Windows Developer Preview, Linux Mint 9
    Custom Built
I honestly don't think the Desktop Gadgets are heavily used. Originally, it was supposed to be a genuine Sidebar, much like in Windows 8, where you hover the mouse pointer to the right side of the screen, and the Taskbar's Sidekick slides out and you'd have a clock gadget, weather, Windows Live IM, and the likes. But vista killed that for little awkward gadgets that fill up a section, or a full side of the Desktop. I find it looks awkward to see one little system gadget hanging out on a Desktop. I personally use them for Windows 7, but I hardly see usage anywhere else. It's not used in enterprise setups, it's not advertised as a feature in many electronics stores like best buy, and it's not even adverted by Microsoft in general.

But speaking of past days with a sidekick for the taskbar, I was contemplating this and the current sidebar in Windows 8 is plenty large enough to host at least four large metro app tiles. I would like to see that as a feature for 8. One would hover the mouse pointer over the right hand (or where ever) and see some apps one has pinned on there. You'd get a live weather update, a decent pandora app pinned, maybe a picture app, and be able to launch those apps from that Sidebar without going to the Start Screen.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
I honestly don't think the Desktop Gadgets are heavily used. Originally, it was supposed to be a genuine Sidebar, much like in Windows 8, where you hover the mouse pointer to the right side of the screen, and the Taskbar's Sidekick slides out and you'd have a clock gadget, weather, Windows Live IM, and the likes. But vista killed that for little awkward gadgets that fill up a section, or a full side of the Desktop. I find it looks awkward to see one little system gadget hanging out on a Desktop. I personally use them for Windows 7, but I hardly see usage anywhere else. It's not used in enterprise setups, it's not advertised as a feature in many electronics stores like best buy, and it's not even adverted by Microsoft in general.

But speaking of past days with a sidekick for the taskbar, I was contemplating this and the current sidebar in Windows 8 is plenty large enough to host at least four large metro app tiles. I would like to see that as a feature for 8. One would hover the mouse pointer over the right hand (or where ever) and see some apps one has pinned on there. You'd get a live weather update, a decent pandora app pinned, maybe a picture app, and be able to launch those apps from that Sidebar without going to the Start Screen.

That would have some real potential for app developers to be able to have more information shown on a tile than just the Start Screen.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
From what I have seen on my part, I know many of my mates use Desktop gadgets like Calendar and Clock even on their notebooks with small screens really. They could have the Clock gadget even display their names which is fun and I would expect power users to use the All CPU Meter like I do. And there's even a fun and simple Desktop gadget called Piano which is much less of a hassle than the Piano app you see on the WDP's Metro. I suggest you guys try that. One of my closest mates, recently got his new Toshiba netbook and it even has a Desktop gadget that acts like a Wifi radar which is looking great for us.

If I am not wrong, I think they call that new bar on the side of Windows 8's desktop the "Charms Bar" but from what I saw, I think it only displays the same four functions that you see when you click at the left bottom side of the Windows 8 Start Button. You get Settings, Devices, Share and Search and it doesn't have yet the ability to have Metro app tiles pinned on it.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Ultimate, Windows Developer Preview, Linux Mint 9
    Custom Built
From what I have seen on my part, I know many of my mates use Desktop gadgets like Calendar and Clock even on their notebooks with small screens really. They could have the Clock gadget even display their names which is fun and I would expect power users to use the All CPU Meter like I do. And there's even a fun and simple Desktop gadget called Piano which is much less of a hassle than the Piano app you see on the WDP's Metro. I suggest you guys try that. One of my closest mates, recently got his new Toshiba netbook and it even has a Desktop gadget that acts like a Wifi radar which is looking great for us.

If I am not wrong, I think they call that new bar on the side of Windows 8's desktop the "Charms Bar" but from what I saw, I think it only displays the same four functions that you see when you click at the left bottom side of the Windows 8 Start Button. You get Settings, Devices, Share and Search and it doesn't have yet the ability to have Metro app tiles pinned on it.
Hmm.....

The Charms Bar are the four little different icons above the Start icon, the sidebar is what opens up when you select one of those charms. But no, apps can't be pinned onto it, which is a shame, because a concept of days far gone from Windows Longhorn could come back, almost ten years later.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
Back