System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1.1 Pro with Media Center
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Gateway
    CPU
    AMD K140 Cores 2 Threads 2 Name AMD K140 Package Socket FT1 BGA Technology 40nm
    Motherboard
    Manufacturer Gateway Model SX2110G (P0)
    Memory
    Type DDR3 Size 8192 MBytes DRAM Frequency 532.3 MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI AMD Radeon HD 7310 Graphics
    Sound Card
    AMD High Definition Audio Device Realtek High Definition Audio USB Audio Device
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Name 1950W on AMD Radeon HD 7310 Graphics Current Resolution 1366x768 pixels Work Resolution 1366x76
    Screen Resolution
    Current Resolution 1366x768 pixels Work Resolution 1366x768 pixels
    Hard Drives
    AMD K140
    Cores 2
    Threads 2
    Name AMD K140
    Package Socket FT1 BGA
    Technology 40nm
    Specification AMD E1-1200 APU with Radeon HD Graphics
    Family F
    Extended Family 14
    Model 2
    Extended Model 2
    Stepping 0
    Revision ON-C0
    Instruction
    Browser
    Opera 24.0
    Antivirus
    Avast Internet Security
JeffL, I don't know if this has anything to do with your problem or not. I have discovered that if you go to Device Manager and click on View and select show hidden devices, you see Storage Volume Shadow Copies. Under that I have 36 Generic storages volumes. Most are grayed out. I only have 3 restore points. I have no idea what this means. Maybe it will have some effect on what you are trying to do.

Screenshot (12).png

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Dell Studio XPS 9100
    CPU
    intel i7 920 @ 2.67 GHz
    Motherboard
    Dell
    Memory
    24 Gig
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD 5670
    Sound Card
    Internal
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Flat Screen HDMI
    Screen Resolution
    1366 x 768
    Hard Drives
    Samsung EVO 850 250 GB SSD
    2 Seagate internal 1TB
    WD external 3TB USB 3
    WD external 2TB USB 3
    PSU
    550-W
    Case
    Mid
    Cooling
    Fans
    Keyboard
    US USB
    Mouse
    USB
    Internet Speed
    3.84 Mbps Download .44 Mbps Upload
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    MS Defender
    Other Info
    Liteon DVD wrighter
    Liteon BD drive
    Monoprice Tablet
JeffL, I don't know if this has anything to do with your problem or not. I have discovered that if you go to Device Manager and click on View and select show hidden devices, you see Storage Volume Shadow Copies. Under that I have 36 Generic storages volumes. Most are grayed out. I only have 3 restore points. I have no idea what this means. Maybe it will have some effect on what you are trying to do.

I have no idea what that is. I have 11 Generic volumes. I opened the Storage Volume Shadow Copies (above Generic storage volumes), and I have 255 Generic Volume Shadow Copies. I don't see anything greyed out.

Edit, I take that back, 40 are greyed out, it's very subtle. Checking the properties, I see, if not greyed out: "This device is working properly", if greyed out: "Currently, this hardware device is not connected to the computer. (Code 45) To fix this problem, reconnect this hardware device to the computer".

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Dell Inspiron 660
    CPU
    I5
    Memory
    *GB
    Browser
    FireFox
    Antivirus
    Norton
I wonder if you remove the grayed out ones, if your restore points size would get smaller.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Dell Studio XPS 9100
    CPU
    intel i7 920 @ 2.67 GHz
    Motherboard
    Dell
    Memory
    24 Gig
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD 5670
    Sound Card
    Internal
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Flat Screen HDMI
    Screen Resolution
    1366 x 768
    Hard Drives
    Samsung EVO 850 250 GB SSD
    2 Seagate internal 1TB
    WD external 3TB USB 3
    WD external 2TB USB 3
    PSU
    550-W
    Case
    Mid
    Cooling
    Fans
    Keyboard
    US USB
    Mouse
    USB
    Internet Speed
    3.84 Mbps Download .44 Mbps Upload
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    MS Defender
    Other Info
    Liteon DVD wrighter
    Liteon BD drive
    Monoprice Tablet
Looks like the problem has mostly been solved, however I have just had a setback.
I used System Restore to go back to a saved restore point, and got the following messages:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
“System Restore did not complete successfully.

System Restore could not access a file.

This is probably because an anti virus programme is running on this computer. Temporarily disable your anti virus programme and retrySystem Restore. An unexpected error occurred during System Restore (0x80070005)

You can try System Restore again and select a different restore point. If you continue to see this error you can try an advanced recovery method.”
------------------------------------------------------------------------
I use Microsoft Defender which comes with Win8, did not expect one MS programme to be incompatible with another. Anyway, switching Defender off did not cure the issue. Also, there is no reference on the error message as to what the “advanced recovery method” is.

Has anyone any ideas?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
Advanced recovery means refresh or reset the machine instead of system restore.

Both are quite traumatic.

As a workaround, you could use the free shadow explorer and fish out what you want from your shadow copies.

ShadowExplorer.com - Manual

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
Looks like the problem has mostly been solved, however I have just had a setback.
I used System Restore to go back to a saved restore point, and got the following messages:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
“System Restore did not complete successfully.

System Restore could not access a file.

This is probably because an anti virus programme is running on this computer. Temporarily disable your anti virus programme and retrySystem Restore. An unexpected error occurred during System Restore (0x80070005)

You can try System Restore again and select a different restore point. If you continue to see this error you can try an advanced recovery method.”
------------------------------------------------------------------------
I use Microsoft Defender which comes with Win8, did not expect one MS programme to be incompatible with another. Anyway, switching Defender off did not cure the issue. Also, there is no reference on the error message as to what the “advanced recovery method” is.

Has anyone any ideas?

If you don't already know this... If you are running Norton A/V, you must turn off Product Tamper Protection. It's one of the misc. settings. I'm no longer running Norton, since Windows Defender does the job now.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Dell Inspiron 660
    CPU
    I5
    Memory
    *GB
    Browser
    FireFox
    Antivirus
    Norton
Just reread your message and see you are using Windows Defender. FWIW, As I said, I'm also using Window Defender, and I did a restore a few days ago. I didn't turn anything off. I got a message saying that it was successful, for for some reason, it didn't fix what I wanted to fix *, so I did an unrestore.

* Somehow, in a moment of confusion, I turned on system protection for the PRB Image partition. I turned if off as soon as I realized what I'd done, but from that point on, the command VSSADMIN LIST ShadowStorage, shows the stats for that partition. I can't get rid of it with VSSADMIN DELETE ShadowStorage because that's not a valid command on my system. It doesn't do any harm, but I'm very anal, and just didn't want to see it ;) I thought a SR to before I did it would get rid of it, but it didn't.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Dell Inspiron 660
    CPU
    I5
    Memory
    *GB
    Browser
    FireFox
    Antivirus
    Norton
If you do want more system restore points this will do it

Hi Guys,
I have posted this elsewhere on this forum but it does fit well here.
After many hours of trial and error I finally found a way to automatically create system restore points in Windows 8 using the task scheduler. All of this information was gathered from web posts by others but this is the combination which works for me.

You must first create a .vbs script file.

To create the script just cut and paste the text below into notepad. Then save the file as SR.vbs in C:\Users\Mike (Of course you must substitute "your user name" for "Mike")

If WScript.Arguments.Count = 0 Then
Set oShell = CreateObject("Shell.Application")
oShell.ShellExecute "wscript.exe", """" & WScript.ScriptFullName & """ Run", , "runas", 1
Else
Set oWshShell = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
oWshShell.Popup "Creating a SystemRestore point. Please wait.", 2, "System Restore", 0
swinmgmts = "winmgmts:\\.\root\default:Systemrestore"
GetObject(swinmgmts).CreateRestorePoint "Scheduled Restore Point", 0, 100
'MsgBox "System Restore Point created", 0, "System Restore"
End If

Then you have to create a registry DWORD (32 bit) VALUE entry (using regedit.exe by way of RUN) with the text
SystemRestorePointCreationFrequency
under the registry key
HKeyLocalMachine\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\SystemRestore
The DWORD (32 bit) VALUE needs to be typed into the "System Restore" folder itself (not in any of it's sub folders). I then set the value of SystemRestorePointCreationFrequency to 0 ( I think 0 is the default anyway). When you exit the registry by clicking "X" the changes you have made are automatically saved.

Now you need to program your task scheduler to run the SR.vbs script at the desired intervals. Create a "Basic Task" in the task scheduler to do this.
On the General tab type in a name and description of your choice for the task. Make sure you check only the "run whether user is logged on or not" and "Run with highest privileges" options.
On the Triggers tab select new and set the time you want to use and check only the "Enabled" option.
On the Actions tab select new and then select "Start a program" in the drop-down box. Under "Program/script" type in C:\Windows\System32\wscript.exe Then in the "Add arguments (optional): box type in C:\Users\Mike\SR.vbs
In the Conditions tab just make sure that none of the options are checked.
In the Settings tab you want only "Allow task to be run on demand" and "Run task as soon as possible after a scheduled start is missed" options to be checked. In the drop-down box at the bottom select "Run a new instance in parallel".
The History tab has no adjustments so you are done.

I know this sounds like a lot to do but is really not that complicated and, to me at least, was well worth the effort.
I now get two system restore points created automatically for me each and every day.
Hope this is of some use to someone out there.
Mike Blevins

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 64bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    HP P2-1334
    CPU
    AMD Fusion E1-1200
    Motherboard
    Pegatron APXD1-DM (Redwood A)
    Memory
    Upgaded to PNY 8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD Radeon HD 7310
    Sound Card
    Realtek High Definition Audio (onboard)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    HP w1707
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    WD 500 GB (onboard)
    + many,many external USB hard drives
    PSU
    stock
    Case
    stock
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    HP wireless 5187-4099
    Mouse
    Logitech laser wireless M325
    Internet Speed
    DL 6.99 mb/s......UL 3.34 mb/s
    Browser
    Mozilla Firefox v.20.0.1
    Antivirus
    Norton......CCCleaner 64......Zone Alarm
I finally was able to do a successful System Restore, one my Main Internet/Business/Blogging PC. This was the one I updated from Windows 7 which was dot-nethosed.

My Media computer was a fresh install to a drive that had no OS, I had Windows 7 on another drive. I was not sure of it when I first posted a while back, but now I am - That Windows 8 on that machine spans all of the drives, while the Windows 8 on the machine I upgraded from 7 resides only in the drive that contained the OS I Upgraded.

This is why, I believe my System Restore Points vanished on the Media System: Because all of the original restore points had been made while the system was monitoring ALL of the drives. Later, I had shut off System Restore on all but the main Windows 8 drive. and so the only restore point which was available continually failed to properly finalize because all of the backup data it was looking for was on the now-removed D and E Drives. On that machine, I now have all of the restore points I have made since the last time I tried it- I was able to repair whatever my problem was when I was trying to do that restore. I think if I am seeing my points and they are not vanishing, it will probably work, because now it is isolating all of the restore data on one drive.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro with Media Center/Windows 7
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Asus M2N-MX SE Plus § DualCore AMD Athlon 64 X2, 2300 MHz (11.5 x 200) 4400+ § Corsair Value Select
    CPU
    AMD 4400+/4200+
    Motherboard
    Asus M2N-MX SE Plus/Asus A8M2N-LA (NodusM)
    Memory
    2 GB/3GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    GeForce 8400 GS/GeForce 210
    Sound Card
    nVIDIA GT218 - High Definition Audio Controller
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Hitachi 40" LCD HDTV
    Screen Resolution
    "1842 x 1036"
    Hard Drives
    WDC WD50 00AAKS-007AA SCSI Disk Device
    ST1000DL 002-9TT153 SCSI Disk Device
    WDC WD3200AAJB-00J3A0 ATA Device
    WDC WD32 WD-WCAPZ2942630 USB Device
    WD My Book 1140 USB Device
    PSU
    Works 550w
    Case
    MSI "M-Box"
    Cooling
    Water Cooled
    Keyboard
    Dell Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Intellimouse
    Internet Speed
    Cable Medium Speed
    Browser
    Chrome/IE 10
    Antivirus
    Eset NOD32 6.x/Win Defend
    Other Info
    Recently lost my Windows 8 on my main PC, had to go back to Windows 7.
Here's my progress report:

I'm still unable to verify that the way the system is originally set up, an automatic RP is created after 7 days of no other restore point being created. Every time I got close to 7 days, I'd do something (like install a program) that would add a restore point, so still no 7 day dry spell.

I'm still watching the used space growing by about 2 GB a day, however, I increased the allocated space to 4%, about 36 GB. This morning with 4 restore points, the used space got close to the allocated space, and knocked out the oldest restore point from 4/17. So I've gone 17 days before I lost a restore point. After the oldest restore point was dropped, the usage went down to 22 GB. It should take another 6 days before I lose another RP, by then I should have an automatic RP added. I think what I'll see is that 36 GB will let me retain 3 - 4 restore points.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Dell Inspiron 660
    CPU
    I5
    Memory
    *GB
    Browser
    FireFox
    Antivirus
    Norton
JeffL, although I don't see much point in verifying the 7 day span apart from curiosity, the easiest way is to install Windows on a virtual machine. There you can turn off windows update, delete RPs in the system protection options and run a scheduled task that creates RPs twice. The first time it should create an RP, but not the second time. Turn off the machine and run the scheduled task in 7 days.

For figuring out the "RP count / space" ratio, you need to experiment on your main system, because it depends on the volume of files covered by RP (this includes your personal files as well). [DEL]Just keep creating RPs manually from the control panel until the oldest RP disappears from the list.[/DEL] (strike-through explained below)

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP Pavilion dv7t (17.3'', i7-2630QM, HD 6770M 1Gb, 8Gb RAM, 2 SSD@120Gb + 1 HDD@750Gb)
Vadikan- I'm trying to verify the 7 day waiting period, because I've seen so many posts from people that say they are not getting automatic updates.

Regarding your test for RPs per allocated space, my experience has shown that that wouldn't work, because the oldest restore points have not been falling off of the list until the displayed used gets space gets close to the allocated space, and no matter how many RPs I've had at one time, the displayed used space (from a clean start) is only increasing at 2 GB a day, instead of appearing all at once for the total amount of space needed for the RP. I think that was the basis of my original post.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Dell Inspiron 660
    CPU
    I5
    Memory
    *GB
    Browser
    FireFox
    Antivirus
    Norton
Regarding your test for RPs per allocated space, my experience has shown that that wouldn't work, because the oldest restore points have not been falling off of the list until the displayed used gets space gets close to the allocated space
That's correct. When where's not enough space in shadow copies to save the next restore point, the oldest point gets deleted. You control the space in the system protection options.

and no matter how many RPs I've had at one time, the displayed used space (from a clean start) is only increasing at 2 GB a day, instead of appearing all at once for the total amount of space needed for the RP. I think that was the basis of my original post.
In the hindsight, my suggestion to create a bunch of points would be an inaccurate experiment. Shadow copies are incremental, so if there are no changes to the files covered by system protection, the space used by restore points won't grow by much.

This also means that there's no exact or even approximate figure for the amount of space taken by a single restore point. It all depends on the total volume of covered files as well the as on how much they change between snapshots. It could be 2GB for you or 250MB for someone with a tablet used for web surfing :)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP Pavilion dv7t (17.3'', i7-2630QM, HD 6770M 1Gb, 8Gb RAM, 2 SSD@120Gb + 1 HDD@750Gb)
So, one of the problems is that the System Volume Information folder keeps increasing with size despite vanishing restore points?

I just checked this system, my Reseved area is 14 and a half Gigs, and right now there is 7 and a half gigs of that being used: and eight available restore points. Does this sound right?

My guess on the machines which seem to be gobbling up the reserved area, that the earlier points are actually still there, but not being shown. This was indeed happening to me on the machine that was monitoring three drives, Four if my My Book was attached. Once I set System Restore to only maintain one drive, that all stopped.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Asus M2N-MX SE Plus § DualCore AMD Athlon 64 X2, 2300 MHz (11.5 x 200) 4400+ § Corsair Value Select
    CPU
    AMD 4400+/4200+
    Motherboard
    Memory
    2 GB/3GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Hitachi 40" LCD HDTV
    Screen Resolution
    "1842 x 1036"
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Works 550w
    Case
    MSI "M-Box"
    Cooling
    Water Cooled
    Keyboard
    Dell Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Intellimouse
    Internet Speed
    Cable Medium Speed
    Browser
    Chrome/IE 10
    Antivirus
    Other Info
My guess on the machines which seem to be gobbling up the reserved area, that the earlier points are actually still there, but not being shown.
I don't see how this is possible. Don't forget about the earlier restore points checkbox in rstrui.

If you want to get another view, run in the command prompt
Code:
vssadmin list shadows
Compare the dates of shadow copies with RP dates in rstrui, and you'll see the match.

This was indeed happening to me on the machine that was monitoring three drives, Four if my My Book was attached. Once I set System Restore to only maintain one drive, that all stopped.
Again, this doesn't sound right. Shadow copies are saved per volume. This means that RPs from drive C are saved on drive C, RPs from drive D are saved on drive D. The above command shows that precisely.

System protection is not a black box, although posts in this thread kind of give this impression :)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
So, one of the problems is that the System Volume Information folder keeps increasing with size despite vanishing restore points?

Not quite. Using the language you would see if you run VSSADMIN LIST SHADOWSTORAGE, my "Used Shadow Copy Storage space" increases at the rate of about 2GB a day. Once it gets close to the "Maximum Shadow Copy Storage space" (which is the amount you set by choosing a percentage), the oldest restore point goes away, and the amount of "Used Shadow Copy Storage space" goes back down (and starts growing again).

In the example I posted a few posts back, I had 4 restore points. The oldest dated 4/17, the newest dated 4/20. When my used space (growing at 2GB/day) grew close to my max space (36 GB), the 4/17 RP fell off the list, and the used space went back to around 22 GB. Right now, it's grown back to 23.3 GB, but it will keep growing.

I would have thought that when the newest RP was added on 4/20, the RP from 4/17 would have fallen of the list right away, but that isn't what happens. I could add many more RPs, but the oldest ones don't go away until they are pushed off the list by the slow growing "Used Shadow Copy Storage space" number getting close to the Max space number.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Dell Inspiron 660
    CPU
    I5
    Memory
    *GB
    Browser
    FireFox
    Antivirus
    Norton
I know the last part does not sound right, but in my case, the affected machine is not exactly running the OS from only one drive, it's spanned across all of the installed drives. I can boot from all three drives and it opens up the Windows 8 OS choice menu. My other machine, it'a all on one drive.

I don't know how or why that happened, but that is the case on my Media Machine - if I remove any of the drives, it will not boot. They all have to be there. There is something in my Event Viewer that refers to a "JBOD" array. I have Windows 7 on one drive when I choose it, it reboots, when it comes back up it is the old dos Boot Options menu, from there I can boot to 7. the Windows 7 drive is the first one in the chain, and it is the only IDE drive in the system, the rest are SATA.

On this machine here, if I choose the D drive from the BIOS, it boots straight to Windows 7.

I don't even know if there is a way I can print up a system report and show you, and its been bothering me ever since I installed 8 on that machine.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    AMD 4400+/4200+
    Motherboard
    Memory
    2 GB/3GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Hitachi 40" LCD HDTV
    Screen Resolution
    "1842 x 1036"
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Works 550w
    Case
    MSI "M-Box"
    Cooling
    Water Cooled
    Keyboard
    Dell Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Intellimouse
    Internet Speed
    Cable Medium Speed
    Browser
    Chrome/IE 10
    Antivirus
    Other Info
Finally! I have the proof that it works the way Microsoft said it works in Windows 8. After 7 days of no new restore points being created, an automatic restore point was created. I checked my shadow storage usage before and after the RP was created, and there was not a significant increase, it just continues its steady growth at about 2 GB a day. It's at about 26GB right now with 36GB allocated, so if I don't increase my allocated space, I should see the oldest RP fall off the list in 4 to 5 days, leaving me 3 restore points, and a new restore automatic restore point created a few days after that giving me 4 again. Of course as I start using more disk space, more space will be needed for RP shadow storage.
[h=3]Whoomp! There It Is:[/h]ScreenHunter_61 May. 07 08.26.jpg

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Dell Inspiron 660
    CPU
    I5
    Memory
    *GB
    Browser
    FireFox
    Antivirus
    Norton
I just checked mine - My Usage DROPPED to 6.8 Gig from, 7 and a half gig with 14 and a half total. But my very oldest restore point has vanished- But Evernote installed an update which created a new restore point.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    AMD 4400+/4200+
    Motherboard
    Memory
    2 GB/3GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Hitachi 40" LCD HDTV
    Screen Resolution
    "1842 x 1036"
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Works 550w
    Case
    MSI "M-Box"
    Cooling
    Water Cooled
    Keyboard
    Dell Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Intellimouse
    Internet Speed
    Cable Medium Speed
    Browser
    Chrome/IE 10
    Antivirus
    Other Info
Back