Solved Anybody else have a good working computer ?

To tell you frankly, I would not even partition it now until the backup is made and see how much space it's going to take.

Thanks for that, I'll go with backing up first :thumb:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8.1 Update x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavilion 15
    CPU
    Haswell Core i5 4200U
    Memory
    8GB Dual-Channel DDR3L @1600
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel HD 4400 Integrated; 2GB Dedicated NVIDIA GT 740M
    Hard Drives
    500GB Samsung 840 EVO Internal SSD ;
    2TB WD MyPassport Ultra EHDD ;
    1TB TOSHIBA HDD
    Cooling
    Deepcool X6
    Mouse
    Logitech B175 Wireless Mouse
    Internet Speed
    10 Mbps
    Browser
    Opera v25.0
    Antivirus
    KIS 2014
    Other Info
    Microsoft Wired Xbox 360 Controller
One comment regarding your OEM recovery partition and this is something I found out the hard way although it was no major problem (for me) because I would never have wanted to do a factory restore with all the bloatware and so on. I have a Dell PC and when you restore an image (in my case with Acronis) that overwrites some unique Dell code and means that the recovery partition no longer works. You can create recovery discs to get around that though. Again in my case, I just completely blitzed all the partitions and deleted them all and then did a clean install of W7/W8.1

Its just something to be aware of and may or may not apply to other PC's.

OK, so i have to make two backups now, since i don't know what is going to work. Anyway I'll try backing up both disc image & system image.
Few doubts though:
Will restoring the system image several times subsequently, whenever the need comes, with newer system images , would cause any harm to the working of the system & would give rise to any product key activation issue as Mike suggested earlier.?

Since I'm having the recovery discs of my factory installed os,
will the restoring from it cause any problems later on when the need comes,? --
Assuming at that time, I'm having the system image loaded & I'm working on the system with restored image.

After doing a clean install with oem iso and it getting automatically activated,
later on there comes a point I have to restore from my recovery discs created out-of-box by me, will that work or

Should i have to do clean installation again or system image restore of the clean installed os?
Let's start with number 2.
Recovery disk returns system to factory condition, that's all. Your settings, programs, data etc is gone., clean slate together with all overhead factory installed.
1. After restoring from any full backup, you get same thing you had when you made backup, no more, no less.
3. If you do clean install of windows, you get windows only, nothing will be left from previous installation. Installation will still make some partitions, you need a partition for UEFI and windows will make another for it's operation. plus C: partition that's normally used. No use for that factory restore option after that..
Even after all or some of those operations you can always restore from backup made with backup programs and get whatever you had at the time backup was made.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home made
    CPU
    AMD Ryzen7 2700x
    Motherboard
    Asus Prime x470 Pro
    Memory
    16GB Kingston 3600
    Graphics Card(s)
    Asus strix 570 OC 4gb
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 960 evo 250GB
    Silicon Power V70 240GB SSD
    WD 1 TB Blue
    WD 2 TB Blue
    Bunch of backup HDDs.
    PSU
    Sharkoon, Silent Storm 660W
    Case
    Raidmax
    Cooling
    CCM Nepton 140xl
    Internet Speed
    40/2 Mbps
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    WD
One comment regarding your OEM recovery partition and this is something I found out the hard way although it was no major problem (for me) because I would never have wanted to do a factory restore with all the bloatware and so on. I have a Dell PC and when you restore an image (in my case with Acronis) that overwrites some unique Dell code and means that the recovery partition no longer works. You can create recovery discs to get around that though. Again in my case, I just completely blitzed all the partitions and deleted them all and then did a clean install of W7/W8.1

Its just something to be aware of and may or may not apply to other PC's.

OK, so i have to make two backups now, since i don't know what is going to work. Anyway I'll try backing up both disc image & system image.
Few doubts though:
Will restoring the system image several times subsequently, whenever the need comes, with newer system images , would cause any harm to the working of the system & would give rise to any product key activation issue as Mike suggested earlier.?

Since I'm having the recovery discs of my factory installed os,
will the restoring from it cause any problems later on when the need comes,? --
Assuming at that time, I'm having the system image loaded & I'm working on the system with restored image.

After doing a clean install with oem iso and it getting automatically activated,
later on there comes a point I have to restore from my recovery discs created out-of-box by me, will that work or

Should i have to do clean installation again or system image restore of the clean installed os?
Let's start with number 2.
Recovery disk returns system to factory condition, that's all. Your settings, programs, data etc is gone., clean slate together with all overhead factory installed.
1. After restoring from any full backup, you get same thing you had when you made backup, no more, no less.
3. If you do clean install of windows, you get windows only, nothing will be left from previous installation. Installation will still make some partitions, you need a partition for UEFI and windows will make another for it's operation. plus C: partition that's normally used. No use for that factory restore option after that..
Even after all or some of those operations you can always restore from backup made with backup programs and get whatever you had at the time backup was made.

Ok, that clears my ever existential doubts, :eek: :D
thanks Mike :thumb:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8.1 Update x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP Pavilion 15
    CPU
    Haswell Core i5 4200U
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Hard Drives
    1TB TOSHIBA HDD
    Cooling
    Deepcool X6
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    10 Mbps
    Browser
    Opera v25.0
    Antivirus
    KIS 2014
    Other Info
Just keep making backups and keep them at safe place. That just reminded me I'm due for a full backup today or tomorrow since it's all silky smooth now.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home made
    CPU
    AMD Ryzen7 2700x
    Motherboard
    Asus Prime x470 Pro
    Memory
    16GB Kingston 3600
    Graphics Card(s)
    Asus strix 570 OC 4gb
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 960 evo 250GB
    WD 1 TB Blue
    WD 2 TB Blue
    Bunch of backup HDDs.
    PSU
    Case
    Raidmax
    Cooling
    CCM Nepton 140xl
    Internet Speed
    40/2 Mbps
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    WD
Now, I have done with backing up . hope everything come up working for me when the sane HDD go haywire :D

After AOMEI backing up, full disk image shrunk from 61Gigs to 39Gigs & System image shrunk from 42Gigs to 22Gigs:

Screenshot (25).png

Screenshot (21).png

Screenshot (22).png

Screenshot (23).png

Screenshot (24).png

:cool::cool::cool:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8.1 Update x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP Pavilion 15
    CPU
    Haswell Core i5 4200U
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Hard Drives
    1TB TOSHIBA HDD
    Cooling
    Deepcool X6
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    10 Mbps
    Browser
    Opera v25.0
    Antivirus
    KIS 2014
    Other Info
Just keep making backups and keep them at safe place. That just reminded me I'm due for a full backup today or tomorrow since it's all silky smooth now.

Go for it :thumb:

At last, I have one more question , this incremental & full back up what's the diff, we could just do a full back up each month & that's all that needed -right, except for those business guys who need to do the backup of the datas every now and then :huh:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8.1 Update x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP Pavilion 15
    CPU
    Haswell Core i5 4200U
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Hard Drives
    1TB TOSHIBA HDD
    Cooling
    Deepcool X6
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    10 Mbps
    Browser
    Opera v25.0
    Antivirus
    KIS 2014
    Other Info
Incrementals are small additions to the first full backup. Look at the file sizes here. I start a new sequence off every week, the first is always a full and then the daily ones that follow are incrementals. Try it on yours.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    34.3 KB · Views: 59

My Computer

System One

• OS
    W10 x64 pro and W8.1 x86
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Dell Vostro 3750/Acer 9301
    CPU
    Intel i5/AMD Turion 64
    Memory
    4Gb/2Gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel i5 internal/NVidia GEFORCE GO 6100
    Sound Card
    Realtek
    Hard Drives
    250Gb SSD and 120Gb
    Mouse
    HP Z4000
    Internet Speed
    76 down, 20 up
    Browser
    MS Edge
    Antivirus
    Defender
Incrementals are small additions to the first full backup. Look at the file sizes here. I start a new sequence off every week, the first is always a full and then the daily ones that follow are incrementals. Try it on yours.
OK, so how could we select the image from where I have to restore by selecting the latest incremental backup image? - is it selecting only the last backed up incremental image,?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8.1 Update x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP Pavilion 15
    CPU
    Haswell Core i5 4200U
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Hard Drives
    1TB TOSHIBA HDD
    Cooling
    Deepcool X6
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    10 Mbps
    Browser
    Opera v25.0
    Antivirus
    KIS 2014
    Other Info

At last, I have one more question , this incremental & full back up what's the diff, we could just do a full back up each month & that's all that needed -right, except for those business guys who need to do the backup of the datas every now and then :huh:
One of more or less literary exact words i IT, Full, what you did now, Incremental, just changes made in between backups, Full is much better, you can delete obsolete ones.. Best to do full because if something got in, like malware or something got dysfunctional than backup will be like that too. If you do full, manual backups at the times when you are sure all is right, that's how your backup will be.
When I was working, I used to make Incremental backups of the server during the day and full backup of data set to run automatically after hours, it was done on tapes so it took couple of hours. Kept all week of backups on first in, first out basis, 7 tapes each day's one re recorded over one from same day but a week ago. None of them left at the same place as server, friday's one I took home and saturday's one went home with boss, rest at a safe in another office. Never lost a bit of data like that.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home made
    CPU
    AMD Ryzen7 2700x
    Motherboard
    Asus Prime x470 Pro
    Memory
    16GB Kingston 3600
    Graphics Card(s)
    Asus strix 570 OC 4gb
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 960 evo 250GB
    WD 1 TB Blue
    WD 2 TB Blue
    Bunch of backup HDDs.
    PSU
    Case
    Raidmax
    Cooling
    CCM Nepton 140xl
    Internet Speed
    40/2 Mbps
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    WD
OK, so how could we select the image from where I have to restore by selecting the latest incremental backup image? - is it selecting only the last backed up incremental image,?

You can pick any image from the incremental sequence to restore back to. The restore procedure will use the "base" full image as a starting point and then apply all the incrementals in turn up to the one you choose to restore to.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    W10 x64 pro and W8.1 x86
    Computer type
    Laptop
    CPU
    Intel i5/AMD Turion 64
    Memory
    4Gb/2Gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Realtek
    Hard Drives
    250Gb SSD and 120Gb
    Mouse
    HP Z4000
    Internet Speed
    76 down, 20 up
    Browser
    MS Edge
    Antivirus
    Defender

One of more or less literary exact words i IT, Full, what you did now, Incremental, just changes made in between backups, Full is much better, you can delete obsolete ones.. Best to do full because if something got in, like malware or something got dysfunctional than backup will be like that too. If you do full, manual backups at the times when you are sure all is right, that's how your backup will be.
When I was working, I used to make Incremental backups of the server during the day and full backup of data set to run automatically after hours, it was done on tapes so it took couple of hours. Kept all week of backups on first in, first out basis, 7 tapes each day's one re recorded over one from same day but a week ago. None of them left at the same place as server, friday's one I took home and saturday's one went home with boss, rest at a safe in another office. Never lost a bit of data like that.

OK, thanks for clearing that too..:D

Thinking about the patience, tolerance you've to put through all those backups & time for these, only one question left, Were your whole day utilised just for backing up :confused: , i know without it you've to start everything from scratch - just curious about the time for all these in between other things to be concentrated while on the job!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8.1 Update x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP Pavilion 15
    CPU
    Haswell Core i5 4200U
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Hard Drives
    1TB TOSHIBA HDD
    Cooling
    Deepcool X6
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    10 Mbps
    Browser
    Opera v25.0
    Antivirus
    KIS 2014
    Other Info

You can pick any image from the incremental sequence to restore back to. The restore procedure will use the "base" full image as a starting point and then apply all the incrementals in turn up to the one you choose to restore to.

OK, I think I got it now, so i can put all these images inside another main folder on my external hard drive, isn't it? ,& i can restore by going inside that folder in the ehdd right? --
Assuming i have several other files & folders in the ehdd.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8.1 Update x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP Pavilion 15
    CPU
    Haswell Core i5 4200U
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Hard Drives
    1TB TOSHIBA HDD
    Cooling
    Deepcool X6
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    10 Mbps
    Browser
    Opera v25.0
    Antivirus
    KIS 2014
    Other Info
For what its worth, a full backup with Acronis (on my main system) takes around 10 minutes at a guess. The incrementals that follow take around 2 minutes. My backup regime means I'm never more than 24 hours from the last run.

Have confidence. Run your backup and then restore the disc from that image. (and if your worried... and I can understand that if you've never done this before... then why not make a full system image with W8's own backup utility which will image the full drive for you. Then you have two different images you can use if needed)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    W10 x64 pro and W8.1 x86
    Computer type
    Laptop
    CPU
    Intel i5/AMD Turion 64
    Memory
    4Gb/2Gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Realtek
    Hard Drives
    250Gb SSD and 120Gb
    Mouse
    HP Z4000
    Internet Speed
    76 down, 20 up
    Browser
    MS Edge
    Antivirus
    Defender
Yes, just keep all your incremental images in the same folder and you'll be fine.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    W10 x64 pro and W8.1 x86
    Computer type
    Laptop
    CPU
    Intel i5/AMD Turion 64
    Memory
    4Gb/2Gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Realtek
    Hard Drives
    250Gb SSD and 120Gb
    Mouse
    HP Z4000
    Internet Speed
    76 down, 20 up
    Browser
    MS Edge
    Antivirus
    Defender
For what its worth, a full backup with Acronis (on my main system) takes around 10 minutes at a guess. The incrementals that follow take around 2 minutes. My backup regime means I'm never more than 24 hours from the last run.

Have confidence. Run your backup and then restore the disc from that image. (and if your worried... and I can understand that if you've never done this before... then why not make a full system image with W8's own backup utility which will image the full drive for you. Then you have two different images you can use if needed)

Thanks Mooly, I'll do as you guys advised.. Too good this forum, I'm not going to leave this forum :)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8.1 Update x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP Pavilion 15
    CPU
    Haswell Core i5 4200U
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Hard Drives
    1TB TOSHIBA HDD
    Cooling
    Deepcool X6
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    10 Mbps
    Browser
    Opera v25.0
    Antivirus
    KIS 2014
    Other Info
How did this thread go from having a clean computer to being a thread for doing backups and the program to use. :confused:

@ OP David did you look at Event Viewer to see what that said about your computer ?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 32 bit/ Windows 8.1 64 bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Zoostorm/ Asus K55A Notebook
    CPU
    Intel Core 2 Duo E4600 @ 2400 MHz
    Motherboard
    Foxconn 45CMX/45GMX/45CMX-K
    Memory
    2048 MB (2 x 1024 DDR2-SDRAM)/8GB DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Corp 82945G Integrated Graphics Controller
    Sound Card
    Onboard Realtek
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Hanns.G HH221 22" Widescreen
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1080
    Hard Drives
    ExcelStor (250GB)
    Keyboard
    Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 (UK)
    Mouse
    Microsoft Optical Wheel Mouse
    Internet Speed
    Just under 4MB download it's ADSL.
    Other Info
    Epson Stylus SX415 All-in-one Printer,
    Seagate Expansion 500GB External Desktop Drive
How did this thread go from having a clean computer to being a thread for doing backups and the program to use. :confused:

@ OP David did you look at Event Viewer to see what that said about your computer ?

Sorry , if it's anything not to be done here :(
It's all because of the interesting & helpful guys like you... I had no mind leaving this thread without more questions & doubts..:D

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8.1 Update x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP Pavilion 15
    CPU
    Haswell Core i5 4200U
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Hard Drives
    1TB TOSHIBA HDD
    Cooling
    Deepcool X6
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    10 Mbps
    Browser
    Opera v25.0
    Antivirus
    KIS 2014
    Other Info

OK, thanks for clearing that too..:D

Thinking about the patience, tolerance you've to put through all those backups & time for these, only one question left, Were your whole day utilised just for backing up :confused: , i know without it you've to start everything from scratch - just curious about the time for all these in between other things to be concentrated while on the job!
No, no way anybody could afford to have computer down whole day. Incremental were done at lunch time and around 3 o'clock because data was exchanged with main office in Detroit by DSL at 2 o'clock pm and took almost whole hour at those speeds before internet. It was important to keep data synchronized and backed up after that because it contained data from all the plants in USA and Canada and next day would be a business right -off if anything was lost. In the evening and night it took two hours to backup to tape from about 2 GB of SCASI HDDS. (4 of them), that was mid '90s so everything was slow by today's standards and had to act accordingly. Now it takes me about or less than 10 minutes to backup to about 60GB file and don't even have to stop working on the computer. If it was going from SSD to a SSD instead of on slow HDD like now, it would be much faster but it's not a hindrance anyway.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home made
    CPU
    AMD Ryzen7 2700x
    Motherboard
    Asus Prime x470 Pro
    Memory
    16GB Kingston 3600
    Graphics Card(s)
    Asus strix 570 OC 4gb
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 960 evo 250GB
    WD 1 TB Blue
    WD 2 TB Blue
    Bunch of backup HDDs.
    PSU
    Case
    Raidmax
    Cooling
    CCM Nepton 140xl
    Internet Speed
    40/2 Mbps
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    WD
Like your work, though it was testing the patience off the limit :D

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8.1 Update x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP Pavilion 15
    CPU
    Haswell Core i5 4200U
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Hard Drives
    1TB TOSHIBA HDD
    Cooling
    Deepcool X6
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    10 Mbps
    Browser
    Opera v25.0
    Antivirus
    KIS 2014
    Other Info
Like your work, though it was testing the patience off the limit :D
No, I just set everything up, secretaries did the work, I was production manager for a automotive parts plant and chief maintenance for corporation, didn't exactly had time to screw with that stuff but was only one in this plant with computer experience and was impromptu named "That IT guy that likes to play with computers (Network Administrator)" and saved them 100 bucks on hour IT specialist to come and fix network and computers.
My computer, in my office, in the middle of factory was for controlling production machines and CAD/CAM work. Had it locked with 2 keys and a note to cleaning lady not to wash any part of it. One of them washed and scrubbed my keyboard in the sink once so I was not taking chances.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home made
    CPU
    AMD Ryzen7 2700x
    Motherboard
    Asus Prime x470 Pro