4 advantages Windows 8.1 has over Android in mobile

Windows 8.1 gets a bad reputation as a tablet OS in spite of all the work Microsoft has put into it. While it's true that it's quite a stretch to build a platform that covers all possible computing forms, Windows 8.1 has some nice features that leaves Android behind....

...The evolution of Windows

Windows 8.1 isn't for everyone but it's coming along nicely. It's not strictly a mobile OS but it's evolving into a decent one. The advantages discussed here are not the only ones over Android, but they are big enough to make a difference.

Some may feel that the availability of Microsoft Office on Windows 8.1 is a big advantage over Android and wonder why it's not on this short list. While the absence of Office on Android is a disadvantage over Windows for some, it's not for the millions of current Android users and thus is not discussed here.

Android makes more sense for some mobile users as it's a robust platform for tablets and phones. It's now making its way onto the desktop, too. Those wanting a pure mobile UX can do well with Android.

Windows is a better mobile OS than some realize, and it would be a mistake to overlook it. Mobile devices of all types are now available with Windows 8.1, and that alone could be an advantage for some over Android.

Read more at: 4 advantages Windows 8.1 has over Android in mobile | ZDNet

Until then, android is nothing more than where it should stay at: on the vast majority of devices worldwide.

There, I fixed that for ya.....:geek:

Not on the vast majority of devices I use... :huh:

I don't care for android whatsoever as it's nothing more than a piece of code bought by google that was/is ultimately used to be an idea leech off ios and now even Windows Phone. It's unoriginal, can't just focus on being great at being a smartphone OS, and offers nothing new or innovative to the table nor tablet. It's a fragmented OS where updates can sometimes be done on newer phones or can't be done, google only just recently started to take control of app development to a minor degree to "stop" fragmentation, and literally almost every android handset is nothing but bloat with cooked in apps into the ROM that can ONLY be removed by flashing it with a clean custom ROM. I'm sorry, that's something I already have to deal with on Windows PCs, and that's something I've come to accept and understand why. That's NOT something that should even be done on a smartphone. I don't care for a platform that is trying to shove Windows PC "inspired" features down the HDMI port of a smartphone, of which has become something of a giant monstrosity to use and even watch people use.

Ugh, just ugh! :sick:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    1 TB Seagate Barracuda (starting to hate Seagate)
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    Windows 8.1 is installed on a SanDisk Ultra Plus 256 GB
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Arctic Cooler with 3 heatpipes
    Keyboard
    Logitech K750 wireless solar powered keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, but I might go back on KIS 2014
I dunno. Personally, I like to use my tablet as a tablet, and as a tablet, what Android is offering trumps Microsoft in my opinion. I have yet to have the need to print from my tablet, but if I ever did, I con-seed this as a place where Microsoft is winning. Still, name me some apps that are actually what one might call "Great Apps" in windows 8. You will be hard pressed to find them. The coding environment is still very limited, and the apps wind up looking very similar and boxy, with limited functionality compared to their Android counterparts. Many of the ones that might be decent, or provide the functionality I am after, cost money, sometimes a fair amount of money. There is a reason most apps in Windows store seem to plateau at 3 stars after getting a decent amount of reviews... Folks are used to their Android or IOS counterparts, and they think the Windows 8 versions stink in comparison.

Now, I am going to move on and say some redeeming things about Windows 8.1. I installed the preview shortly after it came out, and then a week or so ago, both of my machines had to be upgraded to full 8.1, which was not exactly the best experience, but after the dust has settled, I am liking my experience more. I have installed Classic Shell on both my windows 8 machines, though I have it set such that if I move my mouse all the way into the corner, the windows 8 start screen does load. This seems to be giving me the best of both worlds, and I am finding myself actually really enjoying using Windows 8 at the moment, in a desktop environment.

I downloaded a google voice app in the store, and installed it, which is great when I need to quickly move text etc, and send it on over to my smartphone, or even just text folks from PC, which I am enjoying. I don't really run very many other Win 8 apps, though I have tried the new Facebook app, plus a handful of others that were recommended to me, and though I find them lacking compared to just pure browser experience, I also am encouraged to see that they are improving. Windows 8.1 with classic shell, and both start screen and menu, is a damn fine Desktop experience imo. True, to get there, I did have to have be savy enough to go out on the internet, install 3rd party apps, but I will say, that the experience has improved enough that I can actually see some wisdom in what Microsoft was attempting to accomplish, though I still feel unequivocally that they botched the execution. Had they baked this functionality into the OS as a standard, the entire launch of Windows 8, could have gone down utterly different, but whats done is done... I will just say, that for the first time, since I purchased the Windows 8 upgrade and started putting it to use on my home computer, I am really enjoying the experience. I even sometimes find myself going to the Start Screen first to find apps, rather than the start menu. It just depends on what I am doing.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64 Bit
    CPU
    Processor AMD Athlon(tm) II X4 635 Processor, 2800 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
    Memory
    8gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia GTX 460
I dunno. Personally, I like to use my tablet as a tablet, and as a tablet, what Android is offering trumps Microsoft in my opinion. I have yet to have the need to print from my tablet, but if I ever did, I con-seed this as a place where Microsoft is winning. Still, name me some apps that are actually what one might call "Great Apps" in windows 8. You will be hard pressed to find them. The coding environment is still very limited, and the apps wind up looking very similar and boxy, with limited functionality compared to their Android counterparts. Many of the ones that might be decent, or provide the functionality I am after, cost money, sometimes a fair amount of money. There is a reason most apps in Windows store seem to plateau at 3 stars after getting a decent amount of reviews... Folks are used to their Android or IOS counterparts, and they think the Windows 8 versions stink in comparison.

Now, I am going to move on and say some redeeming things about Windows 8.1. I installed the preview shortly after it came out, and then a week or so ago, both of my machines had to be upgraded to full 8.1, which was not exactly the best experience, but after the dust has settled, I am liking my experience more. I have installed Classic Shell on both my windows 8 machines, though I have it set such that if I move my mouse all the way into the corner, the windows 8 start screen does load. This seems to be giving me the best of both worlds, and I am finding myself actually really enjoying using Windows 8 at the moment, in a desktop environment.

I downloaded a google voice app in the store, and installed it, which is great when I need to quickly move text etc, and send it on over to my smartphone, or even just text folks from PC, which I am enjoying. I don't really run very many other Win 8 apps, though I have tried the new Facebook app, plus a handful of others that were recommended to me, and though I find them lacking compared to just pure browser experience, I also am encouraged to see that they are improving. Windows 8.1 with classic shell, and both start screen and menu, is a damn fine Desktop experience imo. True, to get there, I did have to have be savy enough to go out on the internet, install 3rd party apps, but I will say, that the experience has improved enough that I can actually see some wisdom in what Microsoft was attempting to accomplish, though I still feel unequivocally that they botched the execution. Had they baked this functionality into the OS as a standard, the entire launch of Windows 8, could have gone down utterly different, but whats done is done... I will just say, that for the first time, since I purchased the Windows 8 upgrade and started putting it to use on my home computer, I am really enjoying the experience. I even sometimes find myself going to the Start Screen first to find apps, rather than the start menu. It just depends on what I am doing.

Exactly, now think how nice it is on a tablet, put together the idea that we may be getting Windows Phone apps and imagine the experience having one app store that you can use across tablet, pc, and phone. This is why I don't see the point in investing in Android or ios. Neither are close to this direction or ambition.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    Tablet
    Microsoft Surface Pro 3, Dell Venue 8 Pro, i5 2500K overclocked PC
    CPU
    i5
    Memory
    4gb Surface Pro, 8gb PC
Actually Apple is. Android does not have a decent desktop solution, so no point in turning to them if you are looking for that kind of thing. Their Mobile OS is good, and there are lots of things that they are doing, that no one else is currently doing, especially if you look at what Samsung is adding to their touchwiz gui. I know, a lot of folks hate touchwiz.. I personally really like it, and see it as the most use-able touch based experience at the moment, which has a lot of features Apple should copy and probably would if they weren't choking on their own pride. Anyways. The vision here with MS, is not yet realized, though yeah, I can see the direction, and I am truly liking the OS for the first time, albeit with classic shell. MS too, needs to swallow their own pride, and give their user base what they want, which is the ability to choose how to best use their OS to suit their own needs. Maybe 8.2 will have the answers.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64 Bit
    CPU
    Processor AMD Athlon(tm) II X4 635 Processor, 2800 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
    Memory
    8gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia GTX 460
Have to agree with an earlier post #10 by Music Lover on all points. I had no problems with Android on Sony Xperia, and when it came to upgrade it was nothing like the original phone. And it's much more user friendly, as also stated in an earlier post.

For example, when doing a new conversation, without having to leave the message interface, one click allows you multiple choices from adding voice message, to photos, etc, etc. One thing it didn't have was voice to text, which is why I upgraded to iPhone.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Ult Reatil & Win 8 Pro OEM
    Built as DIY
    CPU
    6 core 12 thread & 4 core
    Motherboard
    Inel Extreme & Intel standard
    Memory
    12GB & 8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    3 top end SLI linked & onboard
    Sound Card
    In built in graphics card & onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    24 & 23 inch Samsung LED backlit
    Screen Resolution
    High def
    Hard Drives
    Corsair Force 128GB SATA3 SSDs in each machine. Plus several external USB3 and eSATA spinner HDs
That's the thing about Android: it doesn't have to be a desktop system, it's meant to be a mobile operating system. And it's become quite decent at that. I don't want a desktop system on my phone or tablet any more that I want a touch OS on my desktop.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 + StartIsBack + AeroGlass
    Computer type
    Laptop
That's the thing about Android: it doesn't have to be a desktop system, it's meant to be a mobile operating system. And it's become quite decent at that. I don't want a desktop system on my phone or tablet any more that I want a touch OS on my desktop.

It doesn't have to be because it can't.

I'd rather have all functionality in one device than juggling 2 or more. If you want several with different ecosystems, then carry on with what you're doing. No one is forcing you to have our aspirations.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    Tablet
    CPU
    i5
    Memory
    4gb Surface Pro, 8gb PC

And that's not a bad thing. If you try to be all things, you end up with... Windows 8. A resounding success, as we all know.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    Laptop

And that's not a bad thing. If you try to be all things, you end up with... Windows 8. A resounding success, as we all know.

Exactly, a very well success in my book. It does everything I need. As posted in another thread...

In fact, it's working so well, it's nice to know it's still going to get better.

I only use a Surface 2.

Usually messing around. When I need to do real work, I remote to my home desktop. If I need anything, I have Plex on the desktop serve all my movie needs, IE handles flash tv, Onedrive handles music and files everywhere. Very lightweight and simple management.

One device.

E5Peebf.png

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    Tablet
    CPU
    i5
    Memory
    4gb Surface Pro, 8gb PC

Exactly, a very well success in my book. It does everything I need. As posted in another thread...

In fact, it's working so well, it's nice to know it's still going to get better.

I only use a Surface 2.

Usually messing around. When I need to do real work, I remote to my home desktop. If I need anything, I have Plex on the desktop serve all my movie needs, IE handles flash tv, Onedrive handles music and files everywhere. Very lightweight and simple management.

One device.

E5Peebf.png

Sure, I'm sure that's what Microsoft was aiming for with Windows 8: serving the needs of 1% of users and annoy the rest that will simply go on buying ipads.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    Laptop
I think to a certain degree, perceptions have a lot to do with the current controversies...

Now, I have absolutely zero documention to back this up, so please accept it as nothing more than my opinion...

I believe that a very large segment of users simply do not see "Tablets" as anything other than toys, for lack of a better term. You can include in that the 'smart' aspect of smartphones. For anything serious, critical, important etc it is laptop or above for said tasks.

Thus, only a small segment see the need for a full fledged windows os on a tablet, which in turn could help to explain why 8 has not set the world on fire.... totally aside from the whole tifkam debate.

Again, imho.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win8.1 Pro, Desktop Mode
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Me
    CPU
    AMD FX-8150
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H
    Memory
    8.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 (9-9-9-28)
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD Radeon HD 6570
    Sound Card
    Creative X-Fi Titanium
    Monitor(s) Displays
    PX2710MW
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080@60Hz
    Hard Drives
    1x1TB Western Digital WDC WD1001FALS-00J7B1 ATA Device Caviar Black -

4 x 2TB Seagate ST32000542A -
    1 x 4TB Seagate External
    Case
    Antec
    Cooling
    Noctua NH-D14
    Keyboard
    Logitech Illuminated Keyboard K740
    Internet Speed
    60meg cable
    Browser
    Cyberfox
    Antivirus
    AVG Security Suite

I'd rather have all functionality in one device than juggling 2 or more. If you want several with different ecosystems, then carry on with what you're doing. No one is forcing you to have our aspirations.

Yeah, but the problem is, Windows does not even come close to providing all of the functionality that android does in it's tablet OS, so this is a moot point.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64 Bit
    CPU
    Memory
    8gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia GTX 460
I think to a certain degree, perceptions have a lot to do with the current controversies...

Now, I have absolutely zero documention to back this up, so please accept it as nothing more than my opinion...

I believe that a very large segment of users simply do not see "Tablets" as anything other than toys, for lack of a better term. You can include in that the 'smart' aspect of smartphones. For anything serious, critical, important etc it is laptop or above for said tasks.

Thus, only a small segment see the need for a full fledged windows os on a tablet, which in turn could help to explain why 8 has not set the world on fire.... totally aside from the whole tifkam debate.

Again, imho.

One word: apple.

They basically kind of convinced everyone with the ipad of such. Even people who are well educated about technology even still regard tablets as "toys" even though Microsoft has proved for about a decade and still today that is false.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus

They basically kind of convinced everyone with the ipad of such. Even people who are well educated about technology even still regard tablets as "toys" even though Microsoft has proved for about a decade and still today that is false.

"Proved"...??? I think not. Quite the opposite I'm afraid. They proved that even with a windows style os, the tablet, people still don't view them as anything other than toys.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win8.1 Pro, Desktop Mode
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Me
    CPU
    AMD FX-8150
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD Radeon HD 6570
    Sound Card
    Creative X-Fi Titanium
    Monitor(s) Displays
    PX2710MW
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080@60Hz
    Hard Drives

1 x 4TB Seagate External
    Case
    Antec
    Cooling
    Noctua NH-D14
    Keyboard
    Internet Speed
    60meg cable
    Browser
    Cyberfox
    Antivirus
    AVG Security Suite

"Proved"...??? I think not. Quite the opposite I'm afraid. They proved that even with a windows style os, the tablet, people still don't view them as anything other than toys.
I believe you've disregarded the Windows Xp tablet PC and Windows 7 tablet PCs. Those weren't used by the consumerist crowd, but by a small margin of the enterprise where things like signature capture, mobile computing where a laptop wouldn't be ideal (sometimes used by companies like Coca Cola when they do vending machine service), and just having the pure power of Windows.

If this were Windows 7, it would be considered quite the opposite. If OEMs and Microsoft REALLY pushed for tablet PCs with 7, we'd be in a totally different situation with 8.

By the way, speaking of 7, that was the most recent OS designed for touch with larger window control buttons, larger Taskbar, better battery life and support, and improved handwriting recognition. It's not an OS for toys but for serious things that ios nor android can handle.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
Well, I never said or implied that absolutely nobody ever at all in the whole wide world used them for anything other than a toy, now did I..?? I can easily conjure up scenarios where a tablet has legitimate usefulness.

I was talking big picture.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win8.1 Pro, Desktop Mode
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Me
    CPU
    AMD FX-8150
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD Radeon HD 6570
    Sound Card
    Creative X-Fi Titanium
    Monitor(s) Displays
    PX2710MW
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080@60Hz
    Hard Drives

1 x 4TB Seagate External
    Case
    Antec
    Cooling
    Noctua NH-D14
    Keyboard
    Internet Speed
    60meg cable
    Browser
    Cyberfox
    Antivirus
    AVG Security Suite

I only use a Surface 2.

One device.

E5Peebf.png

Sure, I'm sure that's what Microsoft was aiming for with Windows 8: serving the needs of 1% of users and annoy the rest that will simply go on buying ipads.

1%?? :roflmao: Really? Where did you pull this from?

Most people can only manage to do one thing at a time. For those, there's ipad and android.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    Tablet
    CPU
    i5
    Memory
    4gb Surface Pro, 8gb PC