100% Disk Usage

First post here, just wanted to share what (finally) worked for me for this insanely annoying problem.

It took me over a week of annoyance to figure it out, trying the following methods:
- Deep scanned with Malwarebytes & Spybot numerous times - No effect
- Disabled Write Behind Caching - No effect, re-enabled it
- Locking a set page file - No effect, reset it to auto
- Disabled the Windows Mangagment Instrumentation (WMI) service & subsecquent dependencies (which left me skeptical because it meant I had to leave security centre disabled) - No effect, re-enabled it
- Installed Hyper-V (mentioned in the above post) - No effect

WHAT WORKED:
This post:
http://www.eightforums.com/performance-maintenance/32190-disk-usage-100-100-a.html#post284344

I think with my upgrading to Windows 8.1, the search Index wasnt adjusted properly, and became bloated to the tune of 1.5gb. I followed the instructions, and it worked.

I havent re-enabled it yet, but MS just released their usual monthly patches, which Ive now updated, and I will shortly re-enable the Indexing service & hope it works, since Search is such a fundamental feature of 8.1

Cheers!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    Laptop
You should meet experts

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    AMD FX-8350
    Motherboard
    MSI 990FXA-GD65
    Memory
    Corsair Vengeance 8 GB DDR3 1600 Bus Single Stick
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sapphire Radeon HD 7790 Daul-X
    Monitor(s) Displays
    ViewSonic 22" LCD Monitor
    Screen Resolution
    1600x1200
    Hard Drives
    WD 1 TB Blue
    PSU
    ThermalTake Smart SE 630 watt
    Case
    Thermaltake Dokker
    Internet Speed
    512 kbps
    Browser
    Mozilla Firefox , Google Chrome
    Antivirus
    Kaspersky Internet Security 2014
Just thought I would share my experiences with others, Well I had tried everything mentioned on all forums to no avail, My problem eneded up being that my computer has one of these quick loading bays and the connection got damaged after a little accident (My dog decided to urinate against my pc, no laughing please) Anyway in a fit of anger I pulled the front of the pc off to wash the fornt of the case, luckily no other damage other than a stinky case, and managed to knacker the connection, so I just swapped it out from the quick load bay and did a direct connect from SSD to mobo and hey presto all is working well now, In fact it is working even better than it was before. So for anyone else experiencing problems try this first before resorting to all the other things that are posted.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 7
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Homebuild
    CPU
    intel core i7 4770k
    Motherboard
    sabertooth z87
    Memory
    16gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia 780
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    Bitdefender
I had the same problem. My data disk regular hard drive was always at 100%. Disk access was miserably slow. I tried a bunch of listed here. I think what helped was the turning off Windows Defender. My SSD was fine. It didn't immediately clear up, but eventually something timed out and everything cleared up. Good luck to anyone that has the problem.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Home
I had that issue with a verbatim 128 SSD. I posted on here that the problem was fix but it wasn't. What actually did fix my issue of the SSD always running at 100% was the ready boost was enabled. I went to administrative tools ---> performance monitor---> Startup Event Trace Sessions ---> Doubled clicked on Ready boost---> doubled click on Trace Session tab ---> unchecked enabled. restarted the computer and it worked for me. The laptop i have the SSD in is a sony vaio.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    ASUS X550CA
    CPU
    Intel® Core™ i5 3337U - (1.80GHz)
    Motherboard
    ASUS Motherboard
    Memory
    8GB (4GBx2) DDR3/1066MHz)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel(HD) Graphics 4000
    Sound Card
    Sound System: Intel® High Definition Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    15.5"
    Screen Resolution
    (1366x768) widescreen
    Hard Drives
    Intel 128Gb Solid State Drive SATA III
    Mouse
    Microsoft Arc
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Symentic
Have you tried this power setting:

screenshot_136.png

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1.1 Pro with Media Center
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Gateway
    CPU
    AMD K140 Cores 2 Threads 2 Name AMD K140 Package Socket FT1 BGA Technology 40nm
    Motherboard
    Manufacturer Gateway Model SX2110G (P0)
    Memory
    Type DDR3 Size 8192 MBytes DRAM Frequency 532.3 MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI AMD Radeon HD 7310 Graphics
    Sound Card
    AMD High Definition Audio Device Realtek High Definition Audio USB Audio Device
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Name 1950W on AMD Radeon HD 7310 Graphics Current Resolution 1366x768 pixels Work Resolution 1366x76
    Screen Resolution
    Current Resolution 1366x768 pixels Work Resolution 1366x768 pixels
    Hard Drives
    AMD K140
    Cores 2
    Threads 2
    Name AMD K140
    Package Socket FT1 BGA
    Technology 40nm
    Specification AMD E1-1200 APU with Radeon HD Graphics
    Family F
    Extended Family 14
    Model 2
    Extended Model 2
    Stepping 0
    Revision ON-C0
    Instruction
    Browser
    Opera 24.0
    Antivirus
    Avast Internet Security
Also maintenance, auto-defrags and virus scans seem to use a lot of disk.

You can also look in the Win8 Task Manager and see the disk usage.

Same issue. Disabled Avast AV and the disk usage is shuffling from 0 -100. My 500Gb drive is almost full. Does that also matter?
My OS is Windows 8.1.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Dell 3521
    CPU
    i3 3rd Gen
    Memory
    4GB
I had the same problem. I´ve solved it deactivating Windows Defender:

Win + Q
Search "Windows Defender"
Settings
Administrator
Uncheck "Turn on Windows Defender"

Hope it works.

IT WORKS !!!!!!!!!!! :dinesh: months trying to fix the f...g problem and finally i fixed doing that!!! THANK YOU SO ****ING MUCH !!!!!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
I'm on desktop and win 8.1 x64 mine hd does the same but only for first 5 minutes or so could be kis2014 or search indexing service?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom Build
    CPU
    Intel Core i5 4430 @ 3.0 GHZ
    Motherboard
    Asus H87-PLUS
    Memory
    8 GB GDDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    Asus R9 270 OC 2 GB
    Sound Card
    Builtin AMD Hight Defination Audio Controller
    Monitor(s) Displays
    ASUS MS228H 21.5" Wide LED Monitor
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    1 TB SATA Seagate
    PSU
    Seasonic 500w PSU
    Case
    Orange
    Cooling
    None
    Keyboard
    A4Tech Usb
    Mouse
    A4Tech Usb
    Internet Speed
    3G via Smartphone (Mobilink)
    Browser
    Mozilla Firefox, Chrome
    Antivirus
    Kaspersky Internet Security 2015
Hello!

Currently, I am trying to fix my dad's HP laptop. It does have the same issues as there were mentioned in this thread. Disk performance goes up to 100% for no reason, or stays over 90% for a longer time. I open one IE webpage and here we go, we are up in the sky with Disk Performance. While that I cannot perform any other operation on the laptop, because everything idles. Along with that, while high percentage I experience a lot of crashes too. This problem won't go away, even if I did format C drive, reinstalled Wind 8, then update Win 8 to Win 8.1. I went carefully through all 5 pages of this thread, I did try all of the tips given by other people - NOTHING HELPED. This thread started in Nov 2012, now we have Aug 2014 and it seems that either people switched from Win to Mac or Linux or they struggle with their machines until now (since no real solution has been provided for this problem).
How is that possible that Disk usage goes over 90% when the actual data transfer is roughly 1MB/s which is mainly taken by IE and one more Background Process? Laptop is equipped with 8 GB of RAM and i5 2.6 Ghz Processor, it is capable of doing muuuuuch more than that and still maintaining good operable conditions.
Please don't write tips such disable Windows Defender, while even if this one is on it doesn't take any data transfer (according to Task Manager). Btw I am not using Win Defender, it is disabled anyway, I use WebRoot, but it doesn't really matter, because even before I installed antivirus, problem was already there!
I installed all updates - problem still there.
I ran disk tests, nothing wrong with HD.
I was thinking of installing Win8 on a different HD and see how it goes, but as far as I remember - someone did try this one too, and it didn't help much. Is there a Windows 8 issue itself?
This is why I hate Windows systems and migrate to Mac a few years ago, unfortunately my parents are still "Windows" and whenever something happens with their laptops I need/want to help, but this time this is disaster. Windows machine until it works, great ! But when it starts "acting" you are in big troubles...
I remember Win 98 SE system - about 40 minutes and the whole installation of the system was done!
Windows 8? I spent the whole day installing system, downloading the updates, installing them. Now when you still have such a nonsens issue to solve, really it makes me feel like I want to teach my parents how to use a non-Windows computer.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    Laptop
    64-bit OS/HP
    CPU
    Intel Core i5-3230M@2.6GHz
    Memory
    8,00 GB
    Browser
    IE
    Antivirus
    WebRoot
I had this very same problem and I thought I'd share my experience with it.

I have a Toshiba Satellite (don't remember which specific model), and it's been less than a year since I bought it. Three months ago I started noticing it was very slow and sluggish so I opened TM and saw the 100% disk usage. I freaked out, I wasn't even using it, I've just turned it on. My BF repairs PCs so I told him to take a look at it but he found nothing wrong with it, not even a virus. He had a third-party program to check the disk usage and it showed almost no usage at all, whereas the WTM sais 100%. I thought the problem was going to magically solve itself so I stopped worrying about it despite the slowliness of the notebook. I was wrong. Not a week had passed since the problem started that the HDD stopped working for good. One night I was preparing myself to go to bed, went to the bathroom and when I got back to turn off the laptop the screen was black. I turned it off and on again and a message saying "No disks available" popped up on the screen. I took it to the IT and they told me the HDD was dead. Luckily my laptop had a 1 year warrant, so they changed it. Till this day no one knows what happened.

I tend to hibernate my notebook a lot, and a few minutes ago I turned it on (after hibernation) and saw the disk usage at 100% again. I freaked out again. I checked Task Manager and killed some Windows process (don't remember which one) that was taking most of the activity, 1,8MBs, and the disk suddenly dropped to 0-10%. I won't hibernate my laptop anymore.

So maybe after all the problem was hibernating the laptop. I have no idea about how a laptop works, so don't take my word for it, but maybe this helps someone else.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
A week ago I did a completely fresh install of Windows 8 64 bit and everything was working great. When I booted up my laptop on Wednesday I noticed it was running terribly slow. When I opened task manager I saw that disk usage was at 100% despite the combined total of data transfer being 0.8MB/s.

The problem occurs constantly if I set my laptop power mode to balanced but only occurs intermittently at high performance. I've run a chkdsk and everything is showing up fine and bizarrely there is no slowdown whatsoever on safe mode.

Any idea what I may have done wrong?

this solution working for me (windows 8 )

see pics

1-
2014-09-04_16h31_38.png

2-
2014-09-04_16h31_58.png
3-
2014-09-04_16h32_02.png
4-
2014-09-04_16h32_14.png
5-
2014-09-04_16h32_20.png
6-
2014-09-04_16h38_14.png

My Computer

System One

• OS
I had the same problem which occurred immediately after upgrading from 8 to 8.1. I spent a lot of time following suggestions but what worked instantly for me was I came across a post which at first I thought was a company promotion saying that CCLEANER would solve the problem with their registry clean-up tool, and it's free. I downloaded the software and ran the registry cleaner three times (rebooting each time) and problem solved. My disk usage is running along at 5-10% and no more time wasted. I was just about to the point of buying a new computer but have to thank this company for saving me the time and money.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
I had the same problem which occurred immediately after upgrading from 8 to 8.1. I spent a lot of time following suggestions but what worked instantly for me was I came across a post which at first I thought was a company promotion saying that CCLEANER would solve the problem with their registry clean-up tool, and it's free. I downloaded the software and ran the registry cleaner three times (rebooting each time) and problem solved. My disk usage is running along at 5-10% and no more time wasted. I was just about to the point of buying a new computer but have to thank this company for saving me the time and money. FAST, EASY & FREE

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
I had the same problem which occurred immediately after upgrading from 8 to 8.1. I spent a lot of time following suggestions but what rescued me was coming across a post, which at first I thought was a company promotion, saying that CCLEANER would solve the problem with their registry clean-up tool. And it's free. I downloaded the software and ran the registry cleaner three times (rebooting each time) and problem solved. My disk usage is running along at 5-10% and no more time wasted. I was just about to the point of buying a new computer but have to thank this company for saving me the time and money. QUICK, EASY & FREE

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
Have tried that with 8.1 and didn't do a thing.
As the OP mentions the transfer rate can be the most minuscule amount and the disk activity will still show 100%.
I have 8GB of RAM on an Acer Aspire i7 laptop with 1Tb harddrive and it takes about 5 mins to start up with disk activity at 100% before it settles down to be usable. Seems to be a serious bug in 8.1.

QUOTE=tn1980;423968]
A week ago I did a completely fresh install of Windows 8 64 bit and everything was working great. When I booted up my laptop on Wednesday I noticed it was running terribly slow. When I opened task manager I saw that disk usage was at 100% despite the combined total of data transfer being 0.8MB/s.

The problem occurs constantly if I set my laptop power mode to balanced but only occurs intermittently at high performance. I've run a chkdsk and everything is showing up fine and bizarrely there is no slowdown whatsoever on safe mode.

Any idea what I may have done wrong?

this solution working for me (windows 8 )

see pics

1-
View attachment 50257

2-
View attachment 50258
3-
View attachment 50259
4-
View attachment 50260
5-
View attachment 50261
6-