medab1 - At this point, I only have 1 restore point. The others (oldest) fell off of the last as the Usage space approached the Maximum space. It is suppose to do that in order to make room. When the older restore points went away, my Usage space fell to around 7 GB, but it is growing at about 2 GB a day (while the computer is on). Right now, it is 11.49 GB. I don't understand why it is getting bigger. I've been assuming that at some point it will stop growing, and that will be the size of one restore point. But why is it so big?
I do not want to automatically create a restore point everyday, but some of the others here might want to. I'm assuming that a new one will be automatically created 7 days after the previous one was created.
This is how it looked a few minutes ago:
BTW, If you really want to get into this, I've also been looking for help on a M/S tech forum, which probably has more info. (I actually got the two forums confused when you first replied).
This is the other forum: Volume Shadow Copy Expert Needed
Here are some screen shots I've been taking during this ordeal:
6 restore points, 8.51 GB used
Same 6 restore points, 8.65 GB used
7th restore point add, 8.84 GB used
Same 7 restore points, 9.13 used
Oldest 3 dropped off, 12.03 used
Next olded dropped off, 14.5 used
Same 3, 16.97 used
Down to 1, 7.64 used
Right now - same 1 restore point, 11.5 used
Yes, I have a 1 TB drive.
I created the RPs that say manual. The one and only one I have now was created by a Java Update.
Task Scheduler runs the Restore Point task every day. It has not created a restore point yet, because I have not yet gone 7 days without one being created by me or a program installation. I expect one to be created within a couple of days if nothing else creates one first. It will probably spoil my test of seeing how big the usage grows. with only one restore point. My only issue at this time is why do the usage constantly grow instead of instantly reporting the usage size when the restore point is created, and why is it so big. I think it's growth is what is causing the deletion of previous restore points. You deleted, your restore points, created a new one, and reported that your usage was 7.64 GB. Some time has passed since then. Is is still 7.64 GB?
I had at least 6 restore points set up, made manually. When I tried to do a system restore, the only one that was left was one made by a Java update, all the rest of it was gone, and that restore point has continually refused to work. That is on my Media Center machine. On this Pro machine, I have all of the restore points going back to the very first one made, and my usage was set for 2 percent on this one, it was set for 3 percent on the WMC machine. Both of these machines dual boot to Windows 7, but this machine is an upgrade to Windows 8 from W7 Ultimate, the other was a clean install onto one of my Data drives. So that machine, the OS actually spans two drives, but on this one, it's all on one drive. That is to say, if I boot this machine and choose my D drive, it's Windows 7. But on my Media Center machine, booting from either drive boots to Windows 8 unless you choose Windows 7 in the OS Choice. I don't know how it got that way, but that's how it is. Now the question is, on the machine where the OS is spanning the drives, its acting like a JBOD Raid Array - So I am thinking that's why Restore is Failing. I haven't needed to try a restore on this one, but I think it will work.
There is a big difference (x1000) between MBs & GBs.
I never get a message when a restore point is created.
Except when a Program like Revo Uninstaller makes one before I Uninstall a program.
Here is a new picture of space being used by my restore points.
I decreased the Max space to as low as it would go since restore points are so small.
No new restore points have been created yet because I set it to automatically create one once a week.
One won't be created until next week on Wednesday.
You said,"It will probably spoil my test of seeing how big the usage grows. with only one restore point."
I deleted All restore points & created more just to see the increase.
They got bigger the more I added.
Quote,"My only issue at this time is why do the usage constantly grow instead of instantly reporting the usage size when the restore point is created, and why is it so big.".
The size got bigger each time because the size of the previous restore point was added to each new restore point.
1 - First point
1+2=2 - Second point
1+2+3=3 - Third point
1+2+3+4=4 - Fourth point
The points should only start to disappear when the Max Usage is full.
I'll go read the other forums posts now.
You could use CCleaner to find out how many restore points you have.
Same as this but quicker:
Last edited by David Bailey; 23 Apr 2013 at 21:28. Reason: more info & a picture
My hope of seeing how high the Used amount would go with one restore point just got derailed. I had a Mozy backup update come in tonight, and it added a 2nd restore point.
I'm going to change my tactic. I'm going to double up my allocated space, and see if it will retain more restore points over time.
Last edited by JeffL; 23 Apr 2013 at 22:55.