Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Offical release for MSDN and TechNet subscribers

  1. #121


    Covington, La
    Posts : 1,184
    Windows 7 HP 64bit, Windows 8.1 Pro w/Media Center 64BIT


    Quote Originally Posted by NCguy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by johnpombrio View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Phone Man View Post

    Probably 10 per key. I have used one of mine 3 times on the same PC.
    Don't ask.

    Jim
    I have found that the retail keys for Win7 from Technet pretty much has a really high number of installs per key. I have wiped and reloaded that damn key a good dozen times on my main machine that I continually hardware upgrade and have a few activations on my HTPC using the same key. I have yet to get any activation failed...
    I don't expect windows eight to be nearly as generous as windows 7.
    I don't think MS is doing anything different with the Windows 8 TechNet keys than with the others, contrary to the false rumors.

    Jim

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #122


    Posts : 286
    W8.1 Pro 64


    Quote Originally Posted by Phone Man View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by NCguy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by johnpombrio View Post

    I have found that the retail keys for Win7 from Technet pretty much has a really high number of installs per key. I have wiped and reloaded that damn key a good dozen times on my main machine that I continually hardware upgrade and have a few activations on my HTPC using the same key. I have yet to get any activation failed...
    I don't expect windows eight to be nearly as generous as windows 7.
    I don't think MS is doing anything different with the Windows 8 TechNet keys than with the others, contrary to the false rumors.

    Jim
    Do you have something to base that on?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #123


    Manchester CT
    Posts : 693
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bit GA


    NCguy, it's called TechNet inertia. Changes seem to break everything MS touches so they will probably leave it alone...
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #124


    Posts : 286
    W8.1 Pro 64


    Quote Originally Posted by johnpombrio View Post
    NCguy, it's called TechNet inertia. Changes seem to break everything MS touches so they will probably leave it alone...
    I hope you're right but I sense its bend over time
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #125


    Quote Originally Posted by johnpombrio View Post
    Interesting. Win8 Pro Retail from Technet silently activated Windows with my product key without any input from me. Y'know, clicking the "Windows needs to be activated" icon that pops up on Win7. I think that is part of the new hammer down on piracy policy that MS has implemented with Win8.
    Yeah, its a bummer for somebody like me who installs a VM, tests something and then simply blows away the VM. In the past, I simply just installed without a key and never had to activate since my machines only lasted a few hours to a few days at most.

    Oh well, I will just use the "enterprise" copy of the software for this type of testing purposes. With 5 keys for Pro and multiple activates per key, I shouldn't have any issues.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #126


    Hafnarfjörður IS
    Posts : 4,376
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10


    Quote Originally Posted by pparks1 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by johnpombrio View Post
    Interesting. Win8 Pro Retail from Technet silently activated Windows with my product key without any input from me. Y'know, clicking the "Windows needs to be activated" icon that pops up on Win7. I think that is part of the new hammer down on piracy policy that MS has implemented with Win8.
    Yeah, its a bummer for somebody like me who installs a VM, tests something and then simply blows away the VM. In the past, I simply just installed without a key and never had to activate since my machines only lasted a few hours to a few days at most.

    Oh well, I will just use the "enterprise" copy of the software for this type of testing purposes. With 5 keys for Pro and multiple activates per key, I shouldn't have any issues.

    Hi there pparks1

    How about creating a Base VM (or "Reference VM") with nothing special installed apart from Windows Default.

    Use this as "The activated version".

    Now "Clone" this VM to another VM and build the VM you want for your testing.

    You might get "Hardware has changed - Please Activate Windows -- now see if you get 3 or 30 or whatever number of days.

    If you get a few days grace before you have to activate then this should work just like you did it before. The trick is to keep a "Standard Reference" VM which you use as a model for your Test VM builds.

    Incidentally does the Enterprise version actually require an Internet connection to activate when you enter the product key via the slmgr command. I believe it just activates anyway -- normally these versions look for a KMS server which I don't have available which is presumably why it didn't activate normally but entering a valid product key achieves the same object.

    I should have tested this by disconnecting from the Internet - but I forgot. !!

    Cheers
    jimbo
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #127


    I have done activations over the phone before for systems not connected to the internet (secure networks) and, while it works, it's not fun. I have never had a problem getting that to work but then I have also never tried it with Windows 8. There is (or was) a step-by-step process the system will walk you through - ultimately you get a code back from the system and you're directed to call a number (based on your location), enter the code you got from the system, and then enter the characters you get back from Microsoft (on the phone) to complete the activation.

    It's not fun, as I said, and we stopped doing it in favor of allowing communications between the secure network and our corporate KMS for the prupose of activation. Making a phone call every time we install another machine on a secure network is just not practical but for one or two machines it's OK.

    Out of the box Enterprise didn't ask for a key; presumably it will look for a KMS, like Windows 7 Enterprise does. If there is no KMS or you want to use a MAK key then you need to "install" that key. I did that and then the systems shows as "activated" - I didn't need to manually activate it once I entered the product key using slmgr.vbs. (At least in Win8 Enterprise there is no "change my product key" link on the Control Panel like there is in Win7 Enterprise. I don't know if Pro behaves the same way.)
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #128


    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo45 View Post
    How about creating a Base VM (or "Reference VM") with nothing special installed apart from Windows Default.

    Use this as "The activated version".

    Now "Clone" this VM to another VM and build the VM you want for your testing.

    You might get "Hardware has changed - Please Activate Windows -- now see if you get 3 or 30 or whatever number of days.
    I do intend to try this type of procedure when time permits.

    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo45 View Post
    Incidentally does the Enterprise version actually require an Internet connection to activate when you enter the product key via the slmgr command. I believe it just activates anyway -- normally these versions look for a KMS server which I don't have available which is presumably why it didn't activate normally but entering a valid product key achieves the same object.

    I should have tested this by disconnecting from the Internet - but I forgot. !!

    Cheers
    jimbo
    I'll give it a shot, but I'm pretty sure you have to be connected to the Internet for the activation to be successful. Otherwise, you get a prompt saying to call it in. I'm pretty sure this was the same as how it was in Windows 7.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #129


    Quote Originally Posted by TerryE View Post
    Out of the box Enterprise didn't ask for a key; presumably it will look for a KMS, like Windows 7 Enterprise does. If there is no KMS or you want to use a MAK key then you need to "install" that key. I did that and then the systems shows as "activated" - I didn't need to manually activate it once I entered the product key using slmgr.vbs. (At least in Win8 Enterprise there is no "change my product key" link on the Control Panel like there is in Win7 Enterprise. I don't know if Pro behaves the same way.)
    I'm going to try to activate my VM using slmgr.vbs without a NIC connected and see if it says activated, and stays activated after a couple of days.

    You can get the change product key button back if you run slmgr.vbs -upk (uninstall product key).

    I haven't tried the Pro version yet, but I read that it does have a change product key option...and you also need to input a legit key to even install it in the first place.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #130


    Yeah, since Enterprise is for VL customers it's likely they'll have a KMS set up, and the product will activate automatically (once the threshold is reached, anyway). Without a connection to a KMS you can use a VL key but my experience, at least with Win2008 R2, is that even with the VLK you need an internet connection for activation (unless you want to do the telephone activation). My memory may be a bit faulty on that last point (I think we entered a VLK before we did the phone activation but maybe it was during that process).
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast
Offical release for MSDN and TechNet subscribers
Related Threads
Hi there I suppose this had to happen sooner or later - but it IS a backward step IMO since this will surely encourage MORE piracy. Netflix and other providers should realize that the world is a GLOBAL village these days and the best way forward is to OPEN UP these services to everybody at...
Hi there If you like XP and are still on TechNet why don't you download W2003 (W2K3) SERVER and then follow these steps to run it as a desktop OS -- mainly as a VM though it's easier. Use XP drivers for installing any specific hardware. Life support is longer than XP -- you have until JUNE...
Windows 8.1 is now available for download from Technet & MSDN :D More...
Does this mean non-subscribers don't get any such updates? But what's really interesting is: Microsoft's Office chief hints at new apps for subscribers, details the transition to touch | The Verge
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook