Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Why Are PC Sales Up And Tablet Sales Down?

  1. #21


    Posts : 29
    Windows 8.1 64 Bit


    Cause I use a pc .. and could never do what I do on a tablet. I do software development .. and good luck on a tablet. I would throw it through the window and go back to my pc. There are just some things that they suck at .. and honestly if someone wanted to give me a tablet for free .. I would tell them to keep it.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #22


    N. Calif
    Posts : 2,586
    W10 Pro (desktop), W10 (laptop), W10 Pro (tablet), W10 (laptop)


    Quote Originally Posted by edmscan View Post
    Cause I use a pc .. and could never do what I do on a tablet. I do software development .. and good luck on a tablet. I would throw it through the window and go back to my pc. There are just some things that they suck at .. and honestly if someone wanted to give me a tablet for free .. I would tell them to keep it.
    I'm a developer as well but that doesn't mean I don't have have use for a tablet. Don't you ever use your PC for something other than development? I wouldn't want a tablet as my only computing device but in addition to my other devices it has its place.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #23


    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 6,490
    Windows 10 Education 64 Bit


    Quote Originally Posted by strollin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by edmscan View Post
    Cause I use a pc .. and could never do what I do on a tablet. I do software development .. and good luck on a tablet. I would throw it through the window and go back to my pc. There are just some things that they suck at .. and honestly if someone wanted to give me a tablet for free .. I would tell them to keep it.
    I'm a developer as well but that doesn't mean I don't have have use for a tablet. Don't you ever use your PC for something other than development? I wouldn't want a tablet as my only computing device but in addition to my other devices it has its place.
    Not to the being a developer part, but I also wouldn't mind having a tablet to play with at times.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #24


    Posts : 29
    Windows 8.1 64 Bit


    Well yes .. I do other things too. But that is a major part of what I do on my pc. I couldn't imagine doing it any other way. I have played with my sisters iPad .. didn't really like it that much.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #25


    I also do developement (occasionaly) and many other activities on my pc, but all of them would be difficult or very boring to do on the cripled interface of a tablet. I can think that it's nice to bring an altra small, light weight computer with you, but if using it is boring, what's for?
    The worse thing on a tablet is the lack of real keyboard. That's what kills me. The touch-screen keyboard taks half of the display area and it's never as fast as typing on a real one. (Try to type with 6 figers at a time -3 fingers with each hand- on a touchpad screen keyboard). So you think wow what a large screen, then the keybord opens itself and your large screen is transformed into a narrow band.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #26


    I bought a used Dell XPS 12 for $550 and it's the best money I've spent in a long time for a laptop. Windows 8.1 is neat and fast, and the laptop converts to a tablet for things that don't require heavy keyboard work. I took a chance on this being a good combination laptop/tablet idea, and pleasantly found out I was correct for once.
    Bill
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #27


    Adelaide
    Posts : 1,338
    Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (64 bit), Linux Mint 17.1 MATE (64 bit)


    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo45 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by lehnerus2000 View Post
    Perhaps the move to a simpler, cheaper PC replacement will finally shift the cost/benefit equation such that these web applications will finally be upgraded or replaced with SaaS solutions.
    I believe that the exact opposite will occur.

    As hardware becomes cheaper, the (apparent) cost of software increases.

    When a PC cost a few thousand dollars, spending $500 on software didn't seem that bad.
    Now a PC costs a few hundred dollars, spending $500 on software seems excessive.
    Hi there

    That's true --- if you think now that a full copy of CS6 (the non subscription version) can cost well over 600 USD - more than a decent cheap entire PC !!.
    I think it was closer to $2K here in Australia.
    I could build (or even buy) a monster PC with that kind of cash


    Now that there is a big push to move to 2160p (I've decided to refuse to call it 4K) imagine how tiny text would be on a 2160p tablet.
    If the screen was 20cm x 11.25cm (8" x 4.5") it would have ~190 dots/cm (~480 dpi).
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #28


    Bay Area
    Posts : 21,840
    Windows 7 Home Premium x64


    Use an iPad at work, tiny little screen for my eyes. Wait to look at things when I get home on my 24" monitor

    A Guy
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #29


    Hafnarfjörđur IS
    Posts : 4,376
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10


    Quote Originally Posted by Fredledingue View Post
    I also do developement (occasionaly) and many other activities on my pc, but all of them would be difficult or very boring to do on the cripled interface of a tablet. I can think that it's nice to bring an altra small, light weight computer with you, but if using it is boring, what's for?
    The worse thing on a tablet is the lack of real keyboard. That's what kills me. The touch-screen keyboard taks half of the display area and it's never as fast as typing on a real one. (Try to type with 6 figers at a time -3 fingers with each hand- on a touchpad screen keyboard). So you think wow what a large screen, then the keybord opens itself and your large screen is transformed into a narrow band.
    Hi there

    Why not try one of those small blue tooth keyboards if you just need a keyboard for a few things on a tablet -- however I find a Convertible device is the best of both worlds -- although expensive I LIKE the SP3. In Tablet mode it's brilliant when I'm travelling and just want to watch a movie / browse the Internet. Try sitting on a fairly packed train and watch a movie on an enormous 17 inch Alienware laptop !! -- no matter how good that laptop is it's 100% impractical for travelling with !!

    The 10 ins screen of the SP3 is large enough to watch a movie with -- I've tried using a Samsung S5 phone -- the SP3 is much better !! or watching a sports streaming service like SKY SPORTS - trouble with SKY SPORTS is all the other passengers want to watch the game too !!!.

    Of course for Actual REAL computer work you need a proper keyboard and mouse too - possibly a decent sized monitor and some local storage -- well a convertible gives you that too.

    I expect as the price comes down we'll see a lot more of these -- the Lenovo IMO isn't a competitor yet for the SP3 -- it's too fiddly switching between tablet and computer mode - but other cheaper convertibles will come now people are discovering the usefulness and versatility of the form factor. - I know it's no good for hard core gamers and some serious video editing stuff but most users aren't in that category.

    Cheers
    jimbo
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #30


    There's another type of computing devices that is largely ignored for now but has a great potential. Those are very small but potentially powerful PCs for which CPU manufacturers are gearing up right now. Those CPUs, Intel and AMD are too much for tablets but are going to rival today's desktop CPU + GPU combinations. Very lo power requirements mean not only battery life but also lo heat and therefore easier to keep in small packages. With wireless and micro USB connections to multiple devices they should be able to be connected to a large, smart TV set as well to smaller displays size of a tablet.

    HummingBoard is set to take a bite out of Raspberry Pi
    Barebones Android PC aimed at low-cost 24/7 operation
    Acer?s latest Chromebox takes aim at education and small business
    Fujitsu bombards business users with 10 new devices
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Why Are PC Sales Up And Tablet Sales Down?
Related Threads
Tablet Sales in Fourth Quarter Could Surpass PCs - Ina Fried - Mobile - AllThingsD
Windows 8 tablet sales show real life; Windows RT tablets hit rock bottom | Computerworld Blogs
Hi there I'm in the market for a decent laptop -- I don't want a huge screen but something decently portable that could be plugged into a nice large monitor / docking station when I'm not travelling -- a 14 inch screen is probably the largest I'd want. So I saw a nice i7 powered ASUS at a...
Tablets with Windows RT see slow sales, research firm IDC says | Fox News
Amazon sales tax issue. in Chillout Room
I have used amazon through the years to order all sorts of parts, games, software, and many other things with free shipping, a great return policy, and of course zero sales tax. These new laws effecting sales tax is getting ridiculous. I order online versus buying in stores to save those hundreds...
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook