Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Windows 8.1 Update 2 to arrive through the Windows Store

  1. #101


    USA
    Posts : 689
    Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center


    They still make good soundcards, but their driver section is abysmal. And instead of releasing updated drivers for their cards, they simply manufacture a new one with yet another set of abysmal drivers.

    When Windows 8.1 was released, instead of giving us updated drivers, they simply changed the date of the old 8 drivers and placed them under the Windows 8.1 tab. No kidding - Sound Blaster Z series Windows 8.1 drivers out by the end of January 2014 - Page 7. They did the exact same thing with the ZXR drivers - SBZxR_CD_LD_1_00_22 Drivers Released - Page 5

    Just pathetic. But hey, it's Microsoft's fault for updating the OS

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #102


    Posts : 91
    windows 7 & 8


    I still think that the upgrades are at fault here. If Microsoft wants to distribute a new version, then that's what they should do and call it something different. Windows 8.1 sounds like an update of Windows 8.0 to most people, not an entirely new OS, and I don't think manufactures should have to rewrite their code every six months just to keep current with Windows. They update their code if there is a known issue, not because Microsoft decides to rewrite everything, it is becoming to much of a hassle for developers and the general public.

    Personally, I have screwed around for 2 years with Windows 8, I am sick of it all the changes, the drivers, this or that, or the menu does this now, or it doesn't. Or they are going to have this and then they don't, or it might come out. Who needs all the drama and hassle? I am done with their upgrades, updates and all the rhetoric, I just can't take it any more.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #103


    Scotland
    Posts : 192
    Windows 8.1 Pro x64


    Quote Originally Posted by RBS View Post
    I still think that the upgrades are at fault here. If Microsoft wants to distribute a new version, then that's what they should do and call it something different. Windows 8.1 sounds like an update of Windows 8.0 to most people, not an entirely new OS, and I don't think manufactures should have to rewrite their code every six months just to keep current with Windows. They update their code if there is a known issue, not because Microsoft decides to rewrite everything, it is becoming to much of a hassle for developers and the general public.

    Personally, I have screwed around for 2 years with Windows 8, I am sick of it all the changes, the drivers, this or that, or the menu does this now, or it doesn't. Or they are going to have this and then they don't, or it might come out. Who needs all the drama and hassle? I am done with their upgrades, updates and all the rhetoric, I just can't take it any more.
    Do you need someone to speak to? I can look up the number of some good therapists for you, if that would help.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #104


    Quote Originally Posted by RBS View Post
    I still think that the upgrades are at fault here. If Microsoft wants to distribute a new version, then that's what they should do and call it something different. Windows 8.1 sounds like an update of Windows 8.0 to most people, not an entirely new OS, and I don't think manufactures should have to rewrite their code every six months just to keep current with Windows. They update their code if there is a known issue, not because Microsoft decides to rewrite everything, it is becoming to much of a hassle for developers and the general public.

    Personally, I have screwed around for 2 years with Windows 8, I am sick of it all the changes, the drivers, this or that, or the menu does this now, or it doesn't. Or they are going to have this and then they don't, or it might come out. Who needs all the drama and hassle? I am done with their upgrades, updates and all the rhetoric, I just can't take it any more.
    I think it's called "changing with times" and is happening ever since men invented fire or a bit before.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #105


    Posts : 91
    windows 7 & 8


    Quote Originally Posted by echrada View Post
    Do you need someone to speak to? I can look up the number of some good therapists for you, if that would help.
    No I would only need a therapist if I continued to partake in the Windows madness, but thank you for your thoughtfulness.

    Quote Originally Posted by CountMike View Post
    I think it's called "changing with times" and is happening ever since men invented fire or a bit before.

    I don't mind changing with the times, just not every other day. Perhaps, I will give it another go 2-3 years from now.

    Some here may think their reply's are coy or clever, but, I have about 15 different people I help with their computer problems (friends, family, associates),etc..
    I don't get paid for this, it just sort of evolved. It is difficult enough trouble shooting my own problems, let alone all of theirs, helping keep them virus free, trying to explain how their systems work. So when Microsoft keeps changing so often, it is a bit much to handle, at this point, I have started telling them not to update, or I disable their updates, until Microsoft decides where they are going. If Windows 9 is supposed to be the panacea everyone says it will be, why waste the effort on 8?
    Last edited by RBS; 27 Jun 2014 at 03:16.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #106


    Hafnarfjörður IS
    Posts : 4,376
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10


    Quote Originally Posted by sygnus21 View Post
    They still make good soundcards, but their driver section is abysmal. And instead of releasing updated drivers for their cards, they simply manufacture a new one with yet another set of abysmal drivers.

    When Windows 8.1 was released, instead of giving us updated drivers, they simply changed the date of the old 8 drivers and placed them under the Windows 8.1 tab. No kidding - Sound Blaster Z series Windows 8.1 drivers out by the end of January 2014 - Page 7. They did the exact same thing with the ZXR drivers - SBZxR_CD_LD_1_00_22 Drivers Released - Page 5

    Just pathetic. But hey, it's Microsoft's fault for updating the OS
    Hi there

    Ms are entitled to update their OS any time they want to -- if the hardware people can't keep up then simple - don't update YOUR copy until you need to or run it in a VM. Things like sound run quite happily in a VM -- in fact these days It's really not necessary to have separate sound cards at all as even a basic Mobo will probably give you all the sound capabilities you need these days especially if it has digital output too -- plug this into a separate system if you really need special sound for gaming etc -- most computer sound systems are pretty horrible anyway.

    Cheers
    jimbo
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #107


    Quote Originally Posted by RBS View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by echrada View Post
    Do you need someone to speak to? I can look up the number of some good therapists for you, if that would help.
    No I would only need a therapist if I continued to partake in the Windows madness, but thank you for your thoughtfulness.

    Quote Originally Posted by CountMike View Post
    I think it's called "changing with times" and is happening ever since men invented fire or a bit before.

    I don't mind changing with the times, just not every other day. Perhaps, I will give it another go 2-3 years from now.

    Some here may think their reply's are coy or clever, but, I have about 15 different people I help with their computer problems (friends, family, associates),etc..
    I don't get paid for this, it just sort of evolved. It is difficult enough trouble shooting my own problems, let alone all of theirs, helping keep them virus free, trying to explain how their systems work. So when Microsoft keeps changing so often, it is a bit much to handle, at this point, I have started telling them not to update, or I disable their updates, until Microsoft decides where they are going. If Windows 9 is supposed to be the panacea everyone says it will be, why waste the effort on 8?
    Yes I feel your pain. A few years ago I finally figured out that none of my family & friends were ever going to learn to use there computer unless I quit doing it for them. When I told them they need to call tech support and talk to Joe or whom every. They eventually all got over it.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #108


    Than it's not just few updates if you have to service 15 relatives. Start charging for it, ends woes with relatives most of the time. I have bunch of leaches like that too. As long they bring computer to me I don't mind too much and usually it stops them for a while.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #109


    Posts : 1,875
    Windows 10 Pro Prieview x64


    I was given a Windows 7 PC to fix (a virus problem). It had never been updated and I had to download almost 300 updates. 12 hours - never again.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #110


    USA
    Posts : 689
    Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center


    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo45 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sygnus21 View Post
    They still make good soundcards, but their driver section is abysmal. And instead of releasing updated drivers for their cards, they simply manufacture a new one with yet another set of abysmal drivers.

    When Windows 8.1 was released, instead of giving us updated drivers, they simply changed the date of the old 8 drivers and placed them under the Windows 8.1 tab. No kidding - Sound Blaster Z series Windows 8.1 drivers out by the end of January 2014 - Page 7. They did the exact same thing with the ZXR drivers - SBZxR_CD_LD_1_00_22 Drivers Released - Page 5

    Just pathetic. But hey, it's Microsoft's fault for updating the OS
    Hi there

    Ms are entitled to update their OS any time they want to -- if the hardware people can't keep up then simple - don't update YOUR copy until you need to or run it in a VM. Things like sound run quite happily in a VM -- in fact these days It's really not necessary to have separate sound cards at all as even a basic Mobo will probably give you all the sound capabilities you need these days especially if it has digital output too -- plug this into a separate system if you really need special sound for gaming etc -- most computer sound systems are pretty horrible anyway.

    Cheers
    jimbo
    Not sure where you're going here Jimbo but I actually side with Microsoft here and blame the hardware vendor for not keeping up with the OS upgrades. I thought I was pretty clear on that.

    Oh, and I don't do mobo soundcards... hence why I bought a dedicated soundcard for my needs

    And there's absolutely no reason why I would want to run my soundcard in VM, nor should I be required to do so. We build our systems according to our needs, not to anyone else's.

    Thanks.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast
Windows 8.1 Update 2 to arrive through the Windows Store
Related Threads
Windows 8.1 update ISO without the store in Windows Updates & Activation
Hey guys I was wondering if I can update my windows 8 which came pre-installed to 8.1 without going to the store and waiting for it to be downloaded. Is there any ISO online where I can readily download the image and update it? Its a HP laptop.
Hi All Newbie to the forum but not windows. History: Went to install Windows 8.1 update last night. I first installed 8 updates (half of which were Office based) and then rebooted. I then ran the 8.1 update on its own - downloaded and installed without a hitch. Rebooted and all was...
Why don't I get a Windows 8.1 Update in store? in Windows Updates & Activation
Okay now, today is October 18th and I've not got a Windows 8.1 update in store yet. I've Installed all the updates that were available for windows, restarted my PC several times but I still don't get it. What could be the reason and how do I get it?
More...
Read more at: Windows 8 to arrive by late October, Microsoft says | Windows 8 - CNET Reviews
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook