Windows 8.1 Update 2 to arrive through the Windows Store

The rep claims that Update 2 will land in August/September of this year, and that it will be delivered through the Windows Store much like Windows 8. The rep also claims that Windows 8.1 Update 2 will be a hefty 3GB in size, making us believe that Update 2 won't be like Windows 8.1 Update 1, but more like Windows 8.1 as a whole compared to Windows 8. 3GB is somewhat a significant increase in size compared to Update 1, which maxed at around 700MB.

Windows 8.1 Update 2 to arrive through the Windows Store, and be 3GB in size? | WinBeta

hope it by windows update and not store

Last edited by a moderator:
They still make good soundcards, but their driver section is abysmal. And instead of releasing updated drivers for their cards, they simply manufacture a new one with yet another set of abysmal drivers.

When Windows 8.1 was released, instead of giving us updated drivers, they simply changed the date of the old 8 drivers and placed them under the Windows 8.1 tab. No kidding - Sound Blaster Z series Windows 8.1 drivers out by the end of January 2014 - Page 7. They did the exact same thing with the ZXR drivers - SBZxR_CD_LD_1_00_22 Drivers Released - Page 5 :mad:

Just pathetic. But hey, it's Microsoft's fault for updating the OS :sarc:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Custom built by me
    CPU
    Haswell i7-4770K
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte G1 Sniper 5 (BIOS F9)
    Memory
    Corsair Dominator Platinum 32 gig (1866MHz)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sapphire R9-280 Vapor X
    Sound Card
    Soundblaster ZXR
    Monitor(s) Displays
    NEC PA242W - 24 inch
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1200
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 512gig 850 Pro SSD (OS), Samsung 256gig 840 Pro SSD (photo editing), Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB HD
    PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000 G2
    Case
    Cooler Master HAF X
    Cooling
    Corsair H100i Closed Loop Cooler
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wireless Wave
    Mouse
    Logitech Performance MX
    Internet Speed
    High Speed
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Norton Security
    Other Info
    RAM Speed: 1866MHZ @ 9-10-10-27-2T, 1.5v
I still think that the upgrades are at fault here. If Microsoft wants to distribute a new version, then that's what they should do and call it something different. Windows 8.1 sounds like an update of Windows 8.0 to most people, not an entirely new OS, and I don't think manufactures should have to rewrite their code every six months just to keep current with Windows. They update their code if there is a known issue, not because Microsoft decides to rewrite everything, it is becoming to much of a hassle for developers and the general public.

Personally, I have screwed around for 2 years with Windows 8, I am sick of it all the changes, the drivers, this or that, or the menu does this now, or it doesn't. Or they are going to have this and then they don't, or it might come out. Who needs all the drama and hassle? I am done with their upgrades, updates and all the rhetoric, I just can't take it any more.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 7 & 8
I still think that the upgrades are at fault here. If Microsoft wants to distribute a new version, then that's what they should do and call it something different. Windows 8.1 sounds like an update of Windows 8.0 to most people, not an entirely new OS, and I don't think manufactures should have to rewrite their code every six months just to keep current with Windows. They update their code if there is a known issue, not because Microsoft decides to rewrite everything, it is becoming to much of a hassle for developers and the general public.

Personally, I have screwed around for 2 years with Windows 8, I am sick of it all the changes, the drivers, this or that, or the menu does this now, or it doesn't. Or they are going to have this and then they don't, or it might come out. Who needs all the drama and hassle? I am done with their upgrades, updates and all the rhetoric, I just can't take it any more.

Do you need someone to speak to? I can look up the number of some good therapists for you, if that would help.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro x64
    Computer type
    Tablet
    Surface Pro 3
    CPU
    i5
    Memory
    4GB DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Graphics HD
    Screen Resolution
    2160 x 1440
    Hard Drives
    128GB SSD, 128GB MicroSD
    Internet Speed
    8GB
    Antivirus
    Bitdefender

I think it's called "changing with times" and is happening ever since men invented fire or a bit before.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home made
    CPU
    AMD Ryzen7 2700x
    Motherboard
    Asus Prime x470 Pro
    Memory
    16GB Kingston 3600
    Graphics Card(s)
    Asus strix 570 OC 4gb
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 960 evo 250GB
    Silicon Power V70 240GB SSD
    WD 1 TB Blue
    WD 2 TB Blue
    Bunch of backup HDDs.
    PSU
    Sharkoon, Silent Storm 660W
    Case
    Raidmax
    Cooling
    CCM Nepton 140xl
    Internet Speed
    40/2 Mbps
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    WD
Do you need someone to speak to? I can look up the number of some good therapists for you, if that would help.
No I would only need a therapist if I continued to partake in the Windows madness, but thank you for your thoughtfulness.

I think it's called "changing with times" and is happening ever since men invented fire or a bit before.

I don't mind changing with the times, just not every other day. Perhaps, I will give it another go 2-3 years from now.

Some here may think their reply's are coy or clever, but, I have about 15 different people I help with their computer problems (friends, family, associates),etc..
I don't get paid for this, it just sort of evolved. It is difficult enough trouble shooting my own problems, let alone all of theirs, helping keep them virus free, trying to explain how their systems work. So when Microsoft keeps changing so often, it is a bit much to handle, at this point, I have started telling them not to update, or I disable their updates, until Microsoft decides where they are going. If Windows 9 is supposed to be the panacea everyone says it will be, why waste the effort on 8?

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 7 & 8
They still make good soundcards, but their driver section is abysmal. And instead of releasing updated drivers for their cards, they simply manufacture a new one with yet another set of abysmal drivers.

When Windows 8.1 was released, instead of giving us updated drivers, they simply changed the date of the old 8 drivers and placed them under the Windows 8.1 tab. No kidding - Sound Blaster Z series Windows 8.1 drivers out by the end of January 2014 - Page 7. They did the exact same thing with the ZXR drivers - SBZxR_CD_LD_1_00_22 Drivers Released - Page 5 :mad:

Hi there

Ms are entitled to update their OS any time they want to -- if the hardware people can't keep up then simple - don't update YOUR copy until you need to or run it in a VM. Things like sound run quite happily in a VM -- in fact these days It's really not necessary to have separate sound cards at all as even a basic Mobo will probably give you all the sound capabilities you need these days especially if it has digital output too -- plug this into a separate system if you really need special sound for gaming etc -- most computer sound systems are pretty horrible anyway.

Cheers
jimbo

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    SSD's * 3 (Samsung 840 series) 250 GB
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)
No I would only need a therapist if I continued to partake in the Windows madness, but thank you for your thoughtfulness.

I don't mind changing with the times, just not every other day. Perhaps, I will give it another go 2-3 years from now.

Some here may think their reply's are coy or clever, but, I have about 15 different people I help with their computer problems (friends, family, associates),etc..
I don't get paid for this, it just sort of evolved. It is difficult enough trouble shooting my own problems, let alone all of theirs, helping keep them virus free, trying to explain how their systems work. So when Microsoft keeps changing so often, it is a bit much to handle, at this point, I have started telling them not to update, or I disable their updates, until Microsoft decides where they are going. If Windows 9 is supposed to be the panacea everyone says it will be, why waste the effort on 8?

Yes I feel your pain. A few years ago I finally figured out that none of my family & friends were ever going to learn to use there computer unless I quit doing it for them. When I told them they need to call tech support and talk to Joe or whom every. They eventually all got over it.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro MC
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Asus G75VW / Z97 Pro
    CPU
    Intel Core i7-3610QM / I7-4790K
    Motherboard
    Z97 Pro
    Memory
    16 GB Hyundai HTM315156CFR8C-PB PC3-12800
    Graphics Card(s)
    nVIDIA GeForce GTX 670M (GF114M)
    Sound Card
    VIA 6.0.10.1600
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 850 Pro 256, Samsung 850 Pro 1TB
    Internet Speed
    30 down 3 up
    Browser
    Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    NIS and Malwarebytes
Than it's not just few updates if you have to service 15 relatives. Start charging for it, ends woes with relatives most of the time. I have bunch of leaches like that too. As long they bring computer to me I don't mind too much and usually it stops them for a while.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home made
    CPU
    AMD Ryzen7 2700x
    Motherboard
    Asus Prime x470 Pro
    Memory
    16GB Kingston 3600
    Graphics Card(s)
    Asus strix 570 OC 4gb
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 960 evo 250GB
    Silicon Power V70 240GB SSD
    WD 1 TB Blue
    WD 2 TB Blue
    Bunch of backup HDDs.
    PSU
    Sharkoon, Silent Storm 660W
    Case
    Raidmax
    Cooling
    CCM Nepton 140xl
    Internet Speed
    40/2 Mbps
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    WD
I was given a Windows 7 PC to fix (a virus problem). It had never been updated and I had to download almost 300 updates. 12 hours - never again.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Pro Prieview x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    MacBook Pro Core2Duo
    CPU
    T7600
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon X1600
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Internal
    Screen Resolution
    1440 x 800
    Hard Drives
    40GB
    Keyboard
    Apple
    Mouse
    Apple
    Internet Speed
    Varies
    Browser
    Various
    Antivirus
    Defender

Hi there

Ms are entitled to update their OS any time they want to -- if the hardware people can't keep up then simple - don't update YOUR copy until you need to or run it in a VM. Things like sound run quite happily in a VM -- in fact these days It's really not necessary to have separate sound cards at all as even a basic Mobo will probably give you all the sound capabilities you need these days especially if it has digital output too -- plug this into a separate system if you really need special sound for gaming etc -- most computer sound systems are pretty horrible anyway.

Cheers
jimbo

Not sure where you're going here Jimbo but I actually side with Microsoft here and blame the hardware vendor for not keeping up with the OS upgrades. I thought I was pretty clear on that.

Oh, and I don't do mobo soundcards... hence why I bought a dedicated soundcard for my needs ;)

And there's absolutely no reason why I would want to run my soundcard in VM, nor should I be required to do so. We build our systems according to our needs, not to anyone else's.

Thanks.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom built by me
    CPU
    Haswell i7-4770K
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sapphire R9-280 Vapor X
    Sound Card
    Soundblaster ZXR
    Monitor(s) Displays
    NEC PA242W - 24 inch
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1200
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 512gig 850 Pro SSD (OS), Samsung 256gig 840 Pro SSD (photo editing), Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB HD
    PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000 G2
    Case
    Cooler Master HAF X
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wireless Wave
    Mouse
    Logitech Performance MX
    Internet Speed
    High Speed
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Norton Security
    Other Info
    RAM Speed: 1866MHZ @ 9-10-10-27-2T, 1.5v
I was given a Windows 7 PC to fix (a virus problem). It had never been updated and I had to download almost 300 updates. 12 hours - never again.

LOL... Funnily enough I just downloaded and created a repository of all updates for Windows 8.1 and Office 2013 with WSUS...

Anyway the repo is something like 4GB ...:eek:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    PC-DOS v1.0
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    IBM
    CPU
    Intel 8088, 4.77MHz
    Memory
    16K, 640K max
    Graphics Card(s)
    What's that?
    Sound Card
    Not quite
    Screen Resolution
    80 X 24 text
    Hard Drives
    dual 160KB 5.25-inch disk drives

Hi there

Cheers
jimbo

Not sure where you're going here Jimbo but I actually side with Microsoft here and blame the hardware vendor for not keeping up with the OS upgrades. I thought I was pretty clear on that.

Oh, and I don't do mobo soundcards... hence why I bought a dedicated soundcard for my needs ;)

And there's absolutely no reason why I would want to run my soundcard in VM, nor should I be required to do so. We build our systems according to our needs, not to anyone else's.

Thanks.

I think he missed the sarcasm smiley in your last statement and read it the wrong way. ;)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Education 64 Bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Asus
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II X4 980 Black Edition Deneb 3.7GHz
    Motherboard
    ASUS M4N68T-M V2 µATX Motherboard
    Memory
    8GB 4GBx2 Kingston PC10600 DDR3 1333 Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA Geforce GT640 2 Gig DDR3 PCIe
    Sound Card
    VIA VT1708s High Definition Audio 8-channel Onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    22" LG E2242 1080p and 2 19" I-INC AG191D
    Screen Resolution
    1280x1024 - 1920x1080 - 1280x1024
    Hard Drives
    Crucial MX100 256 GB SSD and 500 GB WD Blue SATA
    PSU
    Thermaltake TR 620
    Case
    Power Up Black ATX Mid-Tower Case
    Cooling
    Stock heatsink fan
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wireless K350 Wave
    Mouse
    Logitech M570 Trackball and T650 TouchPad
    Internet Speed
    80 Mbps Down 30 Mbps Up
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    HP DVD1040e Lightscribe - External USB2
Yeah I thought so too but then he went into the viability of needing a separate soundcard so... :confused:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom built by me
    CPU
    Haswell i7-4770K
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sapphire R9-280 Vapor X
    Sound Card
    Soundblaster ZXR
    Monitor(s) Displays
    NEC PA242W - 24 inch
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1200
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000 G2
    Case
    Cooler Master HAF X
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wireless Wave
    Mouse
    Logitech Performance MX
    Internet Speed
    High Speed