Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


When will Microsoft pull plug on your Windows or Office?

  1. #21


    Posts : 168
    Windows 8.1 Pro x64


    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo45 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by msdos622wasfun View Post
    Let's see ... clock, check. File manager, check. Simple word processor, check. Time-wasting game, check.

    Heck, what more do you need? Makes me wonder why I just put 16 GB of RAM in my rig.
    Hi there
    Well PLEASE end our suspense -- Why did you.
    Cheers
    jimbo
    Heh. Oh heck, I'm aware that having as much as RAM as possible is beneficial in certain scenarios. I was just being smart-alecky.

    Sometimes I don't push my main desktop PC any further than a normal person might -- web surfing, e-mail, editing Office documents, etc. But sometimes I do engage in some heavy multitasking/gaming, virtual machines, and programs than can benefit from having more RAM (music production software using soft synths), so combined with bragging rights, I guess I felt it was time to take it to the next level (since I was putting in a new motherboard as well).

    I guess the point I was making is that it's easy to succumb to the notion that you need a lot to do just basic things. Some people don't understand why somebody would want to buy a car with insane amounts of horsepower, since you are not legally allowed to use it to its potential anyway (unless you take it on a race track). The point may be valid. But then again, like the old saying goes, "Why do it? Because it's there. Because I can."

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #22


    Hafnarfjörður IS
    Posts : 4,376
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10


    Quote Originally Posted by msdos622wasfun View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo45 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by msdos622wasfun View Post
    Let's see ... clock, check. File manager, check. Simple word processor, check. Time-wasting game, check.

    Heck, what more do you need? Makes me wonder why I just put 16 GB of RAM in my rig.
    Hi there
    Well PLEASE end our suspense -- Why did you.
    Cheers
    jimbo
    Heh. Oh heck, I'm aware that having as much as RAM as possible is beneficial in certain scenarios. I was just being smart-alecky.

    Sometimes I don't push my main desktop PC any further than a normal person might -- web surfing, e-mail, editing Office documents, etc. But sometimes I do engage in some heavy multitasking/gaming, virtual machines, and programs than can benefit from having more RAM (music production software using soft synths), so combined with bragging rights, I guess I felt it was time to take it to the next level (since I was putting in a new motherboard as well).

    I guess the point I was making is that it's easy to succumb to the notion that you need a lot to do just basic things. Some people don't understand why somebody would want to buy a car with insane amounts of horsepower, since you are not legally allowed to use it to its potential anyway (unless you take it on a race track). The point may be valid. But then again, like the old saying goes, "Why do it? Because it's there. Because I can."
    Hi there
    Wasn't "having a Go" at you -- just was being my usual cynical self. However the point I was trying to make was that for a large percentage of users the BEST thing you can do to improve performance is to start using SSD's.

    Cheers
    jimbo
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #23


    Arnhem, The Netherlands
    Posts : 1,412
    Windows 8.1 Pro x64 Media Center Edition


    Quote Originally Posted by Coke Robot View Post
    My God, to think that an operating system has lasted literally until 2014, geeeez! Seriously, time to get rid of it. The NT 5 kernel isn't a very secure one, as the MASSIVE chunk of updates to xp were literally just security based ones. LITERALLY. I once installed xp SP2 in a VM one day, and it took a few hours to get ALL the updates just to get to SP3. There were well over 100 security based updates. I think 168 stands out.... There were some performance ones though. Then came SP3, and about 90 more security updates after SP3 was just security patches..... Once 2014 hits, what happens if there a security hole that gets finagled out by some hackers that can end up being fatal in the enterprise? I kind of wonder if some of the companies that were hacked into recently had xp going on their systems.....

    Thirteen years is by far too long for one operating system.

    SO much technologically has changed: CRT monitors to LCD, PS/2 to USB based EVERYTHING, PATA to SATA, hard drive to SSD, wired keyboards and mice to wireless and Bluetooth devices, desktop to laptop to ultrabook to tablet, 120 gig hard drives to being large to 1 TB being close to a desktop standard, 1 TB 2.5" hard drives that are thinner than the hard drives that were in the first xp tablet PCs, BIOS to UEFI BIOS, IDE to AHCI, single core CPUs to quad core ones with GPUs even more powerful, DirectX 9 to 11.1, and SO SO much more. That's just the Windows PC. It's odd to think that there were several parts manufacturers that were/are making xp drivers for brand new hardware just to get some use out of it whereas 7 or even 8 would use that hardware much more efficiently because of the better coded Windows platform of recent years. But interestingly enough, the legacy of the Windows tablet PC was really started with Windows xp. Windows 8 is reigniting that. Or...reSTARTing it.
    Great post!!!

    I second that!
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #24


    Posts : 168
    Windows 8.1 Pro x64


    [QUOTE=jimbo45;220204]
    Quote Originally Posted by msdos622wasfun View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo45 View Post

    Hi there
    Well PLEASE end our suspense -- Why did you.
    Cheers
    jimbo
    Heh. Oh heck, I'm aware that having as much as RAM as possible is beneficial in certain scenarios. I was just being smart-alecky.

    Hi there
    Wasn't "having a Go" at you -- just was being my usual cynical self. However the point I was trying to make was that for a large percentage of users the BEST thing you can do to improve performance is to start using SSD's.

    Cheers
    jimbo
    Have to admit, I haven't jumped on the SSD bandwagon yet. Probably because it's taking them a while to match the capacity and cost competitiveness of traditional hard drives. I know they are getting better. I've heard some pundits say that they can no longer use PCs that don't have SSDs in them. I'm still tolerant of the lower amount of performance you get from spinning disks. I know that booting takes longer, and when you initially load large pieces of software, there is a longer waiting period. But then after that, it seems like everything gets cached, and then it ends up not being so bad. Usually the second or third time that I launch Microsoft Word, for example, it appears very quickly.

    But I have the feeling maybe my next build might have an SSD in it, at least for the boot drive and main applications. I might have to start changing my thinking about it.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #25


    Posts : 37
    Windows 8 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by Coke Robot View Post
    My God, to think that an operating system has lasted literally until 2014, geeeez! Seriously, time to get rid of it. The NT 5 kernel isn't a very secure one, as the MASSIVE chunk of updates to xp were literally just security based ones. LITERALLY.
    To be fair, I really don't think it's the kernel. It's all the supporting software. Internet Explorer is probably the biggest culprit.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #26


    Posts : 302
    Windows 7 on the desktop, Windows 8 Surface Pro mobile


    Quote Originally Posted by freeeekyyy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Coke Robot View Post
    My God, to think that an operating system has lasted literally until 2014, geeeez! Seriously, time to get rid of it. The NT 5 kernel isn't a very secure one, as the MASSIVE chunk of updates to xp were literally just security based ones. LITERALLY.
    To be fair, I really don't think it's the kernel. It's all the supporting software. Internet Explorer is probably the biggest culprit.
    Its neither.

    Microsoft drilled into people long ago a mantra which holds true to this day for many concerning their products:

    'If its running good, don't mess with it.'

    Why are a fair amount of people still running XP(and even Vista)? Its not that they wouldn't like to use 7 or 8, its that its running good... so why mess with it? Even telling them that going to 7 is a breeze and solid as a rock simply isn't enough. They have way too many nightmares from the times when they had to upgrade their systems in the 90's to really trust that the upgrade process won't end up completely throwing their setup into a tailspin.

    Companies, in particular, tend to be terrified of upgrading anything at all that might cause anything on their systems to stop working and create unnecessary downtime. Especially the guy who signs off on something like that and ends up on unemployment if something goes south.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #27


    Newport, South Wales, UK
    Posts : 573
    Windows 10 Pro x64 x2 Windows 10 Enterprise x64, Ubuntu


    Apart from the small minority of enthusiast computer users, the operating system is mainly irrelevant, this applies to the average Joe and Joanna in the street who change their OS with their hardware and to most Small businesses, who will also obtain the OS with new hardware.

    Large Commercial users have another parameter to add to the mix, Support, and Licensing costs, In a large company that has been using XP, for example, for a few years the support staff are comfortable with the support needs, and have built up an infrastructure geared at providing that support, The OS is mature enough to not need a lot of "tinkering", the software works to perform the task it's bought for, and importantly licensing has been paid for. They will often purchase new hardware with the OS Downgraded to the OS they are familiar with tho reduce their real costs, until there is some "killer" reason to do any different. this may be a lack of support for new hardware, or particular software. the upgrade is then planned meticulously, and implemented in a fully controlled way.

    You will normally see a mix of Operating systems in any large business, even after an upgrade has been implimented, due to the bad programming practices of the developers of older "bespoke" Software. This is often written with total disregard to the SDK for windows with hard coded links everywhere, it works for the OS it was written for but even a minor change, maybe for security reasons, to the original OS renders it useless - In a related example, How many companies still ran IE6 long after it was retired due to security risks, because they had bespoke Intranets written in a way that only worked with IE6

    Remember to a business a Computer and it's total software is a tool, for making profit by enhancing the business, nothing more, to the average home user, it's a gadget, a browser, or a games system, something to do the tax return on, or write a letter to Aunty Mabel, The OS is just there to do this out of the way, in the background, they see it for a few seconds a session

    The vast majority of business and General home users probably couldn't tell you what OS they use, and I'll guarantee, a significant number if asked would reply Word, Excel, Internet Explorer or similar, That's what they see eight hours a day to do their work or check Youtube or facebook.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #28


    South Coast NSW, Australia
    Posts : 615
    Windows 8.1 'Ultimate' RTM 64 bit (Pro/WMC).


    Quote Originally Posted by Barman58 View Post
    .... The OS is just there to do this out of the way, in the background, they see it for a few seconds a session

    The vast majority of business and General home users probably couldn't tell you what OS they use, and I'll guarantee, a significant number if asked would reply Word, Excel, Internet Explorer or similar, That's what they see eight hours a day to do their work or check Youtube or facebook.
    True, Barman, and I have experienced that (What's your OS? Oh, something
    called Firefox, I think....).
    But I'm the exact opposite. I collect OSes, and to me the OS is as much a
    part of the hobby as the hardware or that latest 'killer' game.
    To me, a new or different OS IS a 'computer game', and learning the ins and
    outs of them is part of the fun.
    That's probably why I currently have no less than 14 OSes on this machine
    at present, the host (Win 8 Pro) and 13 others in Virtual-Box. And that's
    only about half of them... I'm in the process of putting them all into Virtual-
    Box, then backing-up the less-used ones to another drive,and only keeping
    the few I use regularly actually installed.



    Wenda.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #29


    Arnhem, The Netherlands
    Posts : 1,412
    Windows 8.1 Pro x64 Media Center Edition


    Quote Originally Posted by Wenda View Post
    But I'm the exact opposite. I collect OSes, and to me the OS is as much a
    part of the hobby as the hardware or that latest 'killer' game.
    To me, a new or different OS IS a 'computer game', and learning the ins and
    outs of them is part of the fun.
    That's probably why I currently have no less than 14 OSes on this machine
    at present, the host (Win 8 Pro) and 13 others in Virtual-Box. And that's
    only about half of them... I'm in the process of putting them all into Virtual-
    Box, then backing-up the less-used ones to another drive,and only keeping
    the few I use regularly actually installed.
    Wenda.
    Wow..... that is a LOT of OS'en! I can't believe you are still running 3.11 or 95/ 98 in a VM session. Which OS'en are you trying out?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #30


    South Coast NSW, Australia
    Posts : 615
    Windows 8.1 'Ultimate' RTM 64 bit (Pro/WMC).


    The whole thing started completely by accident, really, as many hobbies undoubtedly do.

    I was having a 'spring clean' a few years ago in preparation for moving house. There were literally boxes of
    old computer software and hardware, essentially worthless, but I couldn't bring myself to throw it away.

    As I sorted through it, I came up with a couple of old Windows disks (including my original floppy-disk version
    of Windows 95), and some old versions of MS Office, plus close to 20 years-worth of PC magazine cover-disks
    containing updates, Service Packs etc. There was also a whole lot of drivers, trial-ware & shareware programs
    and free games/utilities. There was also a box containing hundreds of C64 titles on tape, and a disk-box full of
    Amiga games and utilities. There's even a box containing old MS-DOS programs on 1.2MB 5.25" floppies!!

    So I decided to have a bit of a play around in Virtual-Box, and one thing led to another, now I have a nice little
    OS collection, which seems to grow quite rapidly. I pick them up cheaply at 'op-shops', car-boot sales, swap-
    meets and the like. Nobody wants them, so they can be gotten very cheaply or, often, for nothing.

    My best 'score' was a full, complete copy of Windows NT4 SP1 in a 'free box' at a local op-shop. Complete in
    its original jewel-case, with product key!! Cost? $0.00. Another good find was a floppy-disk folder containing
    original MS disks for MS-DOS 6.20 and Windows 3.1, plus a slew of printer drivers, SCSI drivers etc. And again
    the cost was $0.00. They all still work, which is unusual for such old floppies as they do deteriorate over time
    no matter how well they're looked after.

    My family and friends think I'm mad to have such a strange hobby, and they all consider it a complete waste
    of time as the OSes are now obsolete. But it's a cheap hobby, and one from which you can learn a great deal
    about OSes and their evolution. I collect betas as well, but not 'leaked' builds although I'd make an exception
    for a working Longhorn build.

    Most are used purely for fun and entertainment, or to run the odd old program (mainly games) that balks at
    Windows 7 or 8, but I'm making a serious effort to get to know Linux Mint 14, just in case MS does make the
    mistake of killing-off the desktop.

    The old hardware? It got assembled into a 2.0 Ghz Celeron and given to my God-daughter for her school-work.


    Cheers...

    Wenda.


    Here's what I currently have running in Virtual-Box....as I said earlier, this is only around half of them.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Virtual-Box programs 2.PNG  
    Last edited by Wenda; 21 Apr 2013 at 13:38.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
When will Microsoft pull plug on your Windows or Office?
Related Threads
Hi, I'm noticingthat Windows 8.1 and Onenote 2013 is having a hotkey clash. Windows usesWindows + S key to pull up a sidbar search. Onenote uses the same hotkey to start ascreen capture. I want the hotkey togo to Onenote. How can I do this?
Read more at: Microsoft Office Web Apps to be renamed 'Office Online'? | ZDNet
When will Microsoft pull the plug on your version of Windows or Office? | ZDNet
Read more at: Microsoft reportedly demos Office Reader app for Windows 8 | Microsoft - CNET News
Read more at source: Microsoft dangles Windows 8, Office 2013 carrots to get SMBs off Windows XP | ZDNet
Read more at source: Microsoft's new Office Web Apps to roll out to Office 365 users in late October | ZDNet
Read more at: Microsoft Office first desktop app to hit Windows 8 store | Microsoft - CNET News
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook