When will Microsoft pull plug on your Windows or Office?

Let's see ... clock, check. File manager, check. Simple word processor, check. Time-wasting game, check.

Heck, what more do you need? Makes me wonder why I just put 16 GB of RAM in my rig.

Hi there
Well PLEASE end our suspense -- Why did you.
Cheers
jimbo

Heh. Oh heck, I'm aware that having as much as RAM as possible is beneficial in certain scenarios. I was just being smart-alecky. ;)

Sometimes I don't push my main desktop PC any further than a normal person might -- web surfing, e-mail, editing Office documents, etc. But sometimes I do engage in some heavy multitasking/gaming, virtual machines, and programs than can benefit from having more RAM (music production software using soft synths), so combined with bragging rights, I guess I felt it was time to take it to the next level (since I was putting in a new motherboard as well).

I guess the point I was making is that it's easy to succumb to the notion that you need a lot to do just basic things. Some people don't understand why somebody would want to buy a car with insane amounts of horsepower, since you are not legally allowed to use it to its potential anyway (unless you take it on a race track). The point may be valid. But then again, like the old saying goes, "Why do it? Because it's there. Because I can."

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Custom built/assembled myself
    CPU
    AMD FX-8350 Black Edition
    Motherboard
    ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0
    Memory
    16 GB Crucial Ballistix DDR3 1866
    Graphics Card(s)
    Gigabyte Radeon R9 280X Windforce
    Sound Card
    On-board audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell UltraSharp U2713HM 27" LCD
    Screen Resolution
    2560 x 1440
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB SSD
    Western Digital Caviar Black 2.0 TB SATA-3
    PSU
    Corsair HX850W
    Case
    Cooler Master HAF XM
    Cooling
    Stock
    Keyboard
    Logitech MK520 wireless
    Mouse
    Logitech MK520 wireless
    Internet Speed
    22 Mbps
    Browser
    IE/Chrome/Firefox
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, Malwarebytes
Let's see ... clock, check. File manager, check. Simple word processor, check. Time-wasting game, check.

Heck, what more do you need? Makes me wonder why I just put 16 GB of RAM in my rig.

Hi there
Cheers
jimbo

Heh. Oh heck, I'm aware that having as much as RAM as possible is beneficial in certain scenarios. I was just being smart-alecky. ;)

Sometimes I don't push my main desktop PC any further than a normal person might -- web surfing, e-mail, editing Office documents, etc. But sometimes I do engage in some heavy multitasking/gaming, virtual machines, and programs than can benefit from having more RAM (music production software using soft synths), so combined with bragging rights, I guess I felt it was time to take it to the next level (since I was putting in a new motherboard as well).

I guess the point I was making is that it's easy to succumb to the notion that you need a lot to do just basic things. Some people don't understand why somebody would want to buy a car with insane amounts of horsepower, since you are not legally allowed to use it to its potential anyway (unless you take it on a race track). The point may be valid. But then again, like the old saying goes, "Why do it? Because it's there. Because I can."

Hi there
Wasn't "having a Go" at you -- just was being my usual cynical self. However the point I was trying to make was that for a large percentage of users the BEST thing you can do to improve performance is to start using SSD's.

Cheers
jimbo

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    SSD's * 3 (Samsung 840 series) 250 GB
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)
My God, to think that an operating system has lasted literally until 2014, geeeez! Seriously, time to get rid of it. The NT 5 kernel isn't a very secure one, as the MASSIVE chunk of updates to xp were literally just security based ones. LITERALLY. I once installed xp SP2 in a VM one day, and it took a few hours to get ALL the updates just to get to SP3. There were well over 100 security based updates. I think 168 stands out.... There were some performance ones though. Then came SP3, and about 90 more security updates after SP3 was just security patches..... Once 2014 hits, what happens if there a security hole that gets finagled out by some hackers that can end up being fatal in the enterprise? I kind of wonder if some of the companies that were hacked into recently had xp going on their systems.....

Thirteen years is by far too long for one operating system.

SO much technologically has changed: CRT monitors to LCD, PS/2 to USB based EVERYTHING, PATA to SATA, hard drive to SSD, wired keyboards and mice to wireless and Bluetooth devices, desktop to laptop to ultrabook to tablet, 120 gig hard drives to being large to 1 TB being close to a desktop standard, 1 TB 2.5" hard drives that are thinner than the hard drives that were in the first xp tablet PCs, BIOS to UEFI BIOS, IDE to AHCI, single core CPUs to quad core ones with GPUs even more powerful, DirectX 9 to 11.1, and SO SO much more. That's just the Windows PC. It's odd to think that there were several parts manufacturers that were/are making xp drivers for brand new hardware just to get some use out of it whereas 7 or even 8 would use that hardware much more efficiently because of the better coded Windows platform of recent years. But interestingly enough, the legacy of the Windows tablet PC was really started with Windows xp. Windows 8 is reigniting that. Or...reSTARTing it. :cool:

Great post!!!

I second that!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro x64 Media Center Edition
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom Made
    CPU
    Intel Core i5 750
    Memory
    6 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD HD 7750
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Iiyama ProLite B2481HS-B1
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    1x 120 GB SSD Samsung 830;
    1x 1.5 TB HDD Seagate;
    1x 2 TB HDD Western Digital;
    1x 3 TB HDD Seagate
    1x 80 GB SSD Vertex 2
    PSU
    Corsair CX 600
    Case
    Corsair Carbide 300R with Side Window
    Cooling
    Intel RTS2011 LC
    Keyboard
    DasKeyboard (blue switches)
    Mouse
    Wacom Baboo Tablet Pen & Touch
    Internet Speed
    50 Mbit FullDuplex Fiberglass
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    I also own the following Microsoft devices:
    * Surface Pro 2 128 GB
    * Windows Phone HTC 8X
Hi there
Cheers
jimbo

Hi there
Wasn't "having a Go" at you -- just was being my usual cynical self. However the point I was trying to make was that for a large percentage of users the BEST thing you can do to improve performance is to start using SSD's.

Cheers
jimbo

Have to admit, I haven't jumped on the SSD bandwagon yet. Probably because it's taking them a while to match the capacity and cost competitiveness of traditional hard drives. I know they are getting better. I've heard some pundits say that they can no longer use PCs that don't have SSDs in them. I'm still tolerant of the lower amount of performance you get from spinning disks. I know that booting takes longer, and when you initially load large pieces of software, there is a longer waiting period. But then after that, it seems like everything gets cached, and then it ends up not being so bad. Usually the second or third time that I launch Microsoft Word, for example, it appears very quickly.

But I have the feeling maybe my next build might have an SSD in it, at least for the boot drive and main applications. I might have to start changing my thinking about it.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    Motherboard
    ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    On-board audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    2560 x 1440
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Corsair HX850W
    Case
    Cooler Master HAF XM
    Cooling
    Stock
    Keyboard
    Logitech MK520 wireless
    Mouse
    Logitech MK520 wireless
    Internet Speed
    22 Mbps
    Browser
    IE/Chrome/Firefox
    Antivirus
My God, to think that an operating system has lasted literally until 2014, geeeez! Seriously, time to get rid of it. The NT 5 kernel isn't a very secure one, as the MASSIVE chunk of updates to xp were literally just security based ones. LITERALLY.

To be fair, I really don't think it's the kernel. It's all the supporting software. Internet Explorer is probably the biggest culprit.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro
    Computer type
    Laptop
    ASUS x54c
    CPU
    Pentium 1.6Ghz
    Memory
    8GB DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Integrated
    Browser
    IE10
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
My God, to think that an operating system has lasted literally until 2014, geeeez! Seriously, time to get rid of it. The NT 5 kernel isn't a very secure one, as the MASSIVE chunk of updates to xp were literally just security based ones. LITERALLY.

To be fair, I really don't think it's the kernel. It's all the supporting software. Internet Explorer is probably the biggest culprit.

Its neither.

Microsoft drilled into people long ago a mantra which holds true to this day for many concerning their products:

'If its running good, don't mess with it.'

Why are a fair amount of people still running XP(and even Vista)? Its not that they wouldn't like to use 7 or 8, its that its running good... so why mess with it? Even telling them that going to 7 is a breeze and solid as a rock simply isn't enough. They have way too many nightmares from the times when they had to upgrade their systems in the 90's to really trust that the upgrade process won't end up completely throwing their setup into a tailspin.

Companies, in particular, tend to be terrified of upgrading anything at all that might cause anything on their systems to stop working and create unnecessary downtime. Especially the guy who signs off on something like that and ends up on unemployment if something goes south.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 on the desktop, Windows 8 Surface Pro mobile
Apart from the small minority of enthusiast computer users, the operating system is mainly irrelevant, this applies to the average Joe and Joanna in the street who change their OS with their hardware and to most Small businesses, who will also obtain the OS with new hardware.

Large Commercial users have another parameter to add to the mix, Support, and Licensing costs, In a large company that has been using XP, for example, for a few years the support staff are comfortable with the support needs, and have built up an infrastructure geared at providing that support, The OS is mature enough to not need a lot of "tinkering", the software works to perform the task it's bought for, and importantly licensing has been paid for. They will often purchase new hardware with the OS Downgraded to the OS they are familiar with tho reduce their real costs, until there is some "killer" reason to do any different. this may be a lack of support for new hardware, or particular software. the upgrade is then planned meticulously, and implemented in a fully controlled way.

You will normally see a mix of Operating systems in any large business, even after an upgrade has been implimented, due to the bad programming practices of the developers of older "bespoke" Software. This is often written with total disregard to the SDK for windows with hard coded links everywhere, it works for the OS it was written for but even a minor change, maybe for security reasons, to the original OS renders it useless - In a related example, How many companies still ran IE6 long after it was retired due to security risks, because they had bespoke Intranets written in a way that only worked with IE6

Remember to a business a Computer and it's total software is a tool, for making profit by enhancing the business, nothing more, to the average home user, it's a gadget, a browser, or a games system, something to do the tax return on, or write a letter to Aunty Mabel, The OS is just there to do this out of the way, in the background, they see it for a few seconds a session

The vast majority of business and General home users probably couldn't tell you what OS they use, and I'll guarantee, a significant number if asked would reply Word, Excel, Internet Explorer or similar, That's what they see eight hours a day to do their work or check Youtube or facebook.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Pro x64 x2 Windows 10 Enterprise x64, Ubuntu
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Real World Computing
    CPU
    AMD FX8350 8 Core @4GHz
    Motherboard
    Asus M5A78L-M USB3
    Memory
    32GB [4x8GB] DDR3 1600 MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    Asus nVidia GTX750TI-OC-2GD5 (2GB DDR5)
    Sound Card
    ASUS Xoner DG + SPDIF to 5.1 System + HDMI
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer G276HL 27", (DVi) + Samsung 39" HDTV (HDMI)
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1080 @60Hz + 1920 x 1080 @60Hz
    Hard Drives
    Internal
    Crucial 256GB SSD,
    WDC WD30EZRX-00D8PB0 3TB,
    Toshiba HDWD130 3TB
    Seagate ST2000DM001-1CH1 2TB,

External (USB3)
    Seagate Backup+ Hub BK SCSI Disk 8TB
    2.5/3.5 Hot Swap Cradle, USB3 + eSata (client HDDs)

NAS
    Seagate ST4000DM000
    PSU
    Aerocool Templarius Imperator 750W 80+ Silver
    Case
    AeroCool X-Warrior Devil Red Tower
    Cooling
    Stock CPU, Rear 120mm, Front 2x120mm, Side 2x120mm
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wireless K710 & K270
    Mouse
    Logitech Wireless M710 M185 & M570 Trackball
    Internet Speed
    37Mb/s Down - 9.5Mb/s Up
    Browser
    Chrome
    Antivirus
    BitDefender Total Security 2017
    Other Info
    Also run...

Desktop - 6Core 8GB - Windows 10 Enterprise x64,
    Laptop - Quad 8GB - Windows 10 Pro x64
    Netbook - Ubuntu
    2 x Nexus 7 Android tablets
    Samsung 10.2" tablet
    Sony Z3 Android Smartphone
    HTC One Android Smartphone
.... The OS is just there to do this out of the way, in the background, they see it for a few seconds a session

The vast majority of business and General home users probably couldn't tell you what OS they use, and I'll guarantee, a significant number if asked would reply Word, Excel, Internet Explorer or similar, That's what they see eight hours a day to do their work or check Youtube or facebook.

True, Barman, and I have experienced that (What's your OS? Oh, something
called Firefox, I think....).
But I'm the exact opposite. I collect OSes, and to me the OS is as much a
part of the hobby as the hardware or that latest 'killer' game.
To me, a new or different OS IS a 'computer game', and learning the ins and
outs of them is part of the fun.
That's probably why I currently have no less than 14 OSes on this machine
at present, the host (Win 8 Pro) and 13 others in Virtual-Box. And that's
only about half of them... I'm in the process of putting them all into Virtual-
Box, then backing-up the less-used ones to another drive,and only keeping
the few I use regularly actually installed.
:what::thumbsup:

Wenda.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 'Ultimate' RTM 64 bit (Pro/WMC).
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Acer AS8951G 'Desktop Replacement'.
    CPU
    i7-2670QM@2.2/3.1Ghz.
    Motherboard
    Acer
    Memory
    8GB@1366Mhz.
    Graphics Card(s)
    GeForce GT555M 2GB DDR3
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD w/Dolby 5.1 surround.
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Built-in. Non-touch.
    Screen Resolution
    18/4" 1920x1080 full-HD.
    Hard Drives
    Toshiba 750GBx2 internal. 1x2TB, 2x640GB, 1x500GB external.
    PSU
    Stock.
    Case
    Laptop.
    Cooling
    Stock.
    Keyboard
    Full 101-key
    Mouse
    USB cordless.
    Browser
    IE11, Firefox, Tor.
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, MalwareBytes Pro.
    Other Info
    BD-ROM drive.
But I'm the exact opposite. I collect OSes, and to me the OS is as much a
part of the hobby as the hardware or that latest 'killer' game.
To me, a new or different OS IS a 'computer game', and learning the ins and
outs of them is part of the fun.
That's probably why I currently have no less than 14 OSes on this machine
at present, the host (Win 8 Pro) and 13 others in Virtual-Box. And that's
only about half of them... I'm in the process of putting them all into Virtual-
Box, then backing-up the less-used ones to another drive,and only keeping
the few I use regularly actually installed.
Wenda.

Wow..... that is a LOT of OS'en! I can't believe you are still running 3.11 or 95/ 98 in a VM session. Which OS'en are you trying out?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom Made
    CPU
    Intel Core i5 750
    Memory
    6 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD HD 7750
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    1x 1.5 TB HDD Seagate;
    1x 3 TB HDD Seagate
    1x 80 GB SSD Vertex 2
    PSU
    Corsair CX 600
    Case
    Cooling
    Intel RTS2011 LC
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    * Surface Pro 2 128 GB
    * Windows Phone HTC 8X
The whole thing started completely by accident, really, as many hobbies undoubtedly do.

I was having a 'spring clean' a few years ago in preparation for moving house. There were literally boxes of
old computer software and hardware, essentially worthless, but I couldn't bring myself to throw it away.

As I sorted through it, I came up with a couple of old Windows disks (including my original floppy-disk version
of Windows 95), and some old versions of MS Office, plus close to 20 years-worth of PC magazine cover-disks
containing updates, Service Packs etc. There was also a whole lot of drivers, trial-ware & shareware programs
and free games/utilities. There was also a box containing hundreds of C64 titles on tape, and a disk-box full of
Amiga games and utilities. There's even a box containing old MS-DOS programs on 1.2MB 5.25" floppies!!

So I decided to have a bit of a play around in Virtual-Box, and one thing led to another, now I have a nice little
OS collection, which seems to grow quite rapidly. I pick them up cheaply at 'op-shops', car-boot sales, swap-
meets and the like. Nobody wants them, so they can be gotten very cheaply or, often, for nothing.

My best 'score' was a full, complete copy of Windows NT4 SP1 in a 'free box' at a local op-shop. Complete in
its original jewel-case, with product key!! Cost? $0.00. Another good find was a floppy-disk folder containing
original MS disks for MS-DOS 6.20 and Windows 3.1, plus a slew of printer drivers, SCSI drivers etc. And again
the cost was $0.00. They all still work, which is unusual for such old floppies as they do deteriorate over time
no matter how well they're looked after.

My family and friends think I'm mad to have such a strange hobby, and they all consider it a complete waste
of time as the OSes are now obsolete. But it's a cheap hobby, and one from which you can learn a great deal
about OSes and their evolution. I collect betas as well, but not 'leaked' builds although I'd make an exception
for a working Longhorn build.

Most are used purely for fun and entertainment, or to run the odd old program (mainly games) that balks at
Windows 7 or 8, but I'm making a serious effort to get to know Linux Mint 14, just in case MS does make the
mistake of killing-off the desktop.

The old hardware? It got assembled into a 2.0 Ghz Celeron and given to my God-daughter for her school-work.

Cheers...

Wenda.

Here's what I currently have running in Virtual-Box....as I said earlier, this is only around half of them.:what:

Attachments

• Virtual-Box programs 2.PNG
    Virtual-Box programs 2.PNG
    45.4 KB · Views: 130
Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    Laptop
    CPU
    i7-2670QM@2.2/3.1Ghz.
    Motherboard
    Acer
    Memory
    8GB@1366Mhz.
    Graphics Card(s)
    GeForce GT555M 2GB DDR3
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Built-in. Non-touch.
    Screen Resolution
    18/4" 1920x1080 full-HD.
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Stock.
    Case
    Laptop.
    Cooling
    Stock.
    Keyboard
    Full 101-key
    Mouse
    USB cordless.
    Browser
    IE11, Firefox, Tor.
    Antivirus
    Other Info
    BD-ROM drive.
Here's what I currently have running in Virtual-Box....as I said earlier, this is only around half of them.:what:

That is definitely impressive.

I think I can relate. I don't have a collection as vast as that, but I would find it difficult to part with some of my old stuff, like my retail box of Windows 95 that is sitting on my shelf, that I bought at CompUSA or something like that when it originally came out.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    Motherboard
    ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    On-board audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    2560 x 1440
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Corsair HX850W
    Case
    Cooler Master HAF XM
    Cooling
    Stock
    Keyboard
    Logitech MK520 wireless
    Mouse
    Logitech MK520 wireless
    Internet Speed
    22 Mbps
    Browser
    IE/Chrome/Firefox
    Antivirus
Wenda,

in one word ==> WOW!!!!!

Great hobby indeed! And as you say, a great way to learn a lot about OS'en.

Greetz,

Rover

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom Made
    CPU
    Intel Core i5 750
    Memory
    6 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD HD 7750
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    1x 1.5 TB HDD Seagate;
    1x 3 TB HDD Seagate
    1x 80 GB SSD Vertex 2
    PSU
    Corsair CX 600
    Case
    Cooling
    Intel RTS2011 LC
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    * Surface Pro 2 128 GB
    * Windows Phone HTC 8X
Just popped Ubuntu 12 and Linux 14 Mate onto the VM as well.
Posting this on Firefox in Mate now, in Virtual-Box..

Wonder if it's working..... I do like this.....:geek:

Wenda.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    Laptop
    CPU
    i7-2670QM@2.2/3.1Ghz.
    Motherboard
    Acer
    Memory
    8GB@1366Mhz.
    Graphics Card(s)
    GeForce GT555M 2GB DDR3
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Built-in. Non-touch.
    Screen Resolution
    18/4" 1920x1080 full-HD.
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Stock.
    Case
    Laptop.
    Cooling
    Stock.
    Keyboard
    Full 101-key
    Mouse
    USB cordless.
    Browser
    IE11, Firefox, Tor.
    Antivirus
    Other Info
    BD-ROM drive.
Cool, back on W8 again on the main machine, and out of the virtual box.

Mint 'Mate' seems to work like a beauty.

I like it!! A bit more than 'Cinnamon' at this stage, and I do like 'Cinnamon'.

Got Ubuntu 12.10 as well, but not overly impressed with the interface.

They breed.... (see below).

Wenda.

Attachments

• My VM.JPG
    My VM.JPG
    43.8 KB · Views: 92

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    Laptop
    CPU
    i7-2670QM@2.2/3.1Ghz.
    Motherboard
    Acer
    Memory
    8GB@1366Mhz.
    Graphics Card(s)
    GeForce GT555M 2GB DDR3
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Built-in. Non-touch.
    Screen Resolution
    18/4" 1920x1080 full-HD.
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Stock.
    Case
    Laptop.
    Cooling
    Stock.
    Keyboard
    Full 101-key
    Mouse
    USB cordless.
    Browser
    IE11, Firefox, Tor.
    Antivirus
    Other Info
    BD-ROM drive.
Apart from the small minority of enthusiast computer users, the operating system is mainly irrelevant, this applies to the average Joe and Joanna in the street who change their OS with their hardware and to most Small businesses, who will also obtain the OS with new hardware.

Large Commercial users have another parameter to add to the mix, Support, and Licensing costs, In a large company that has been using XP, for example, for a few years the support staff are comfortable with the support needs, and have built up an infrastructure geared at providing that support, The OS is mature enough to not need a lot of "tinkering", the software works to perform the task it's bought for, and importantly licensing has been paid for. They will often purchase new hardware with the OS Downgraded to the OS they are familiar with tho reduce their real costs, until there is some "killer" reason to do any different. this may be a lack of support for new hardware, or particular software. the upgrade is then planned meticulously, and implemented in a fully controlled way.

You will normally see a mix of Operating systems in any large business, even after an upgrade has been implimented, due to the bad programming practices of the developers of older "bespoke" Software. This is often written with total disregard to the SDK for windows with hard coded links everywhere, it works for the OS it was written for but even a minor change, maybe for security reasons, to the original OS renders it useless - In a related example, How many companies still ran IE6 long after it was retired due to security risks, because they had bespoke Intranets written in a way that only worked with IE6

Remember to a business a Computer and it's total software is a tool, for making profit by enhancing the business, nothing more, to the average home user, it's a gadget, a browser, or a games system, something to do the tax return on, or write a letter to Aunty Mabel, The OS is just there to do this out of the way, in the background, they see it for a few seconds a session

@Barman68

Hi there very true.

It's not only Windows applications that cause companies to stay with an OS for lengthy periods - a lot of large companies have some incredibly expensive back office ERP and CRM software like SAP / ORACLE etc where the front end GUI's are all windows based and often only work with particular Windows versions at that.

Software like SAP costs a fortune and upgrading releases is often a HUGE undertaking -- I know some consultants who've spent their entire careers on simply upgrading releases of SAP on client sites.

Even when the software IS upgraded --for example a lot of SAP releases can now use a front end GUI on Windows 7 - but there are still pitfalls even when the upgrade from XP to Windows 7 appears to work correctly.

For example with the SAP systems mentioned - Web services when called use IE - and while everything worked fine the whole kybosh came crashing to its knees when a couple of client W7 machines had installed the latest version of IE - IE 10.

So the whole area of upgrades etc has to be handled very carefully in an enterprise situation -- even PARTS of the OS need to be checked out before the whole system can be properly rolled out. (IE 9 worked fine - IE 10 caused crash crash crash crash even in compatibilty mode. - This was nothing to do with IE 10 itself crashing - it worked flawlessly on the Windows clients it had been installed on).

For home users like us we can just say "I don't like XXXX - I'll just use YYYY but businesses can't work like that -- and that's still why a lot are STILL on XP.

Cheers
jimbo

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    SSD's * 3 (Samsung 840 series) 250 GB
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)
Great post there, Jimbo! I totally agree with you.

At my office they just finished upgrading to Windows 7. Took them guys almost two years.... So, since february this year it was bye bye XP for me :D. The only 'problem' now is that, every time I start up the office laptop I find myself staring at the round button in the left bottom corner of the screen, wondering what the hell it is doing there ;).

I just love Windows 8 :thumbsup:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom Made
    CPU
    Intel Core i5 750
    Memory
    6 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD HD 7750
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    1x 1.5 TB HDD Seagate;
    1x 3 TB HDD Seagate
    1x 80 GB SSD Vertex 2
    PSU
    Corsair CX 600
    Case
    Cooling
    Intel RTS2011 LC
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    * Surface Pro 2 128 GB
    * Windows Phone HTC 8X
We use Office 365 at work and other than a few teething problems getting started, it has worked well. I run Office 2013 at home and my wife will not let her Office 2007 go away. They bought extra licenses for her work just to avoid anything newer! Once I installed one of my copies of Office 2010 on her laptop. She made me change it back. I really don't mind Office 2013 too much and my only real complaint about it is it is a little bland looking.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8, 2012, 7, 2008R2, 2008, 2003, XP,SUSE
    Computer type
    Laptop
    ASUS
    CPU
    I7
    Memory
    16 GB