Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums

There is no Plan B

  1. #91


    Posts : 5,707
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by HippsieGypsie View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by labeeman View Post
    Not understanding why Gates would make such a statement. I thought the whole idea of 8 is to complete the trifecta of devices; desktop, pad/lappy, and phone. Familiar across the board. Yes?
    Gate's was indirectly talking about the Windows Mobile strategy as that was what Microsoft was developing on as a smartphone OS WELL before ios or android. They didn't take it further fast enough or make it better fast enough until Windows Phone. THAT was the execution mistake I bet he's talking about.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #92


    Posts : 138
    Windows 8 Pro


    I don't think Microsoft made a mistake at all.

    The PC market has been declining for years. That's not going to change. People's computing needs are changing. The tablet and the smartphone are here to stay wether you like it or not. Sure, they could bury their heads in the sand and pretend that nothing has changed, and be dead in a few years.

    Windows 8 is here. It is what it is. It's exactly how they intended to release it. The reasons behind the metro/desktop combo are pretty obvious really. People lament about it being 'confusing' or 'unproductive'. I figured windows 8 out in a few days back when the Release Preview came out. Its really not that hard. Also, it is as productive as you make it.

    Microsoft is trying to build a platform with PCs, tablets and smartphones that is as unified as possible. That's why Windows 8 is the same on a laptop as it is on a tablet, with or without touch. Apple and Google have been doing this for years. Microsoft's first real effort to match them is the windows 8/RT/phone platform, and they've done a great job. My wife has an iPad 3, I have a Nexus 7 and a Surface RT. The Surface RT smokes the other two in web browsing speed, productivity, battery life and general speed. The only area its lacking in is apps. Those will come.

    Windows 8 on a computer is great. I have never enjoyed an OS so much. You can make it whatever you want. Want a Start Button? Easily done. Want to skip the Metro interface? Easily done. Want to unify the two interfaces? Easily done. Its highly customizable.

    People are often afraid or unsettled by change. If you don't like windows 8, then don't suffer needlessly. Use windows 7. It does still work after all. I think Microsoft have done great with it though. I'm looking forward to the future. I want to see what 'Blue' will bring, and I'm itching to buy a new computer in July, so I can trick it out, just the way I want it.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #93


    Posts : 5,707
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by sashlon View Post
    I don't think Microsoft made a mistake at all.

    The PC market has been declining for years. That's not going to change. People's computing needs are changing. The tablet and the smartphone are here to stay wether you like it or not. Sure, they could bury their heads in the sand and pretend that nothing has changed, and be dead in a few years.

    Windows 8 is here. It is what it is. It's exactly how they intended to release it. The reasons behind the metro/desktop combo are pretty obvious really. People lament about it being 'confusing' or 'unproductive'. I figured windows 8 out in a few days back when the Release Preview came out. Its really not that hard. Also, it is as productive as you make it.

    Microsoft is trying to build a platform with PCs, tablets and smartphones that is as unified as possible. That's why Windows 8 is the same on a laptop as it is on a tablet, with or without touch. Apple and Google have been doing this for years. Microsoft's first real effort to match them is the windows 8/RT/phone platform, and they've done a great job. My wife has an iPad 3, I have a Nexus 7 and a Surface RT. The Surface RT smokes the other two in web browsing speed, productivity, battery life and general speed. The only area its lacking in is apps. Those will come.

    Windows 8 on a computer is great. I have never enjoyed an OS so much. You can make it whatever you want. Want a Start Button? Easily done. Want to skip the Metro interface? Easily done. Want to unify the two interfaces? Easily done. Its highly customizable.

    People are often afraid or unsettled by change. If you don't like windows 8, then don't suffer needlessly. Use windows 7. It does still work after all. I think Microsoft have done great with it though. I'm looking forward to the future. I want to see what 'Blue' will bring, and I'm itching to buy a new computer in July, so I can trick it out, just the way I want it.
    If everyone realized this, the world would be a better place.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #94


    Posts : 1,770
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64


    The PC market isn't declining or disappearing, it has basically reached a plateau and levelled off. One of many charts illustrating what's been going on:

    Click image for larger version

    Again, the majority of people don't find Windows 8 difficult to use and they aren't afraid of change. They just don't like some aspects of it and prefer the Windows 7 desktop appearance, even though they like other aspects of Windows 8.

    If Microsoft realized this, the world would be a better place.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #95
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #96


    Posts : 1,353
    Windows 8 Pro/Windows 8 Pro/Windows 7 64 Bit64Bit/Windows XP


    Quote Originally Posted by labeeman View Post
    Where does he say getting into mobile was a mistake, no wonder things get misconstrued.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #97


    Posts : 1,353
    Windows 8 Pro/Windows 8 Pro/Windows 7 64 Bit64Bit/Windows XP


    Quote Originally Posted by Ray8 View Post
    The PC market isn't declining or disappearing, it has basically reached a plateau and levelled off. One of many charts illustrating what's been going on:

    Click image for larger version

    Again, the majority of people don't find Windows 8 difficult to use and they aren't afraid of change. They just don't like some aspects of it and prefer the Windows 7 desktop appearance, even though they like other aspects of Windows 8.

    If Microsoft realized this, the world would be a better place.
    See Ray, you can do good, at least you're using facts.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #98


    Just for funsies, let's trash BeOS for awhile today...
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #99


    Posts : 1,770
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64


    Quote Originally Posted by BillWindows View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray8 View Post
    The PC market isn't declining or disappearing, it has basically reached a plateau and levelled off. One of many charts illustrating what's been going on:

    Click image for larger version

    Again, the majority of people don't find Windows 8 difficult to use and they aren't afraid of change. They just don't like some aspects of it and prefer the Windows 7 desktop appearance, even though they like other aspects of Windows 8.

    If Microsoft realized this, the world would be a better place.
    See Ray, you can do good, at least you're using facts.
    I always use facts or provide references. When I give a personal opinion, I make that quite apparent. Facts and opinions do not mutually oppose each other.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #100


    Oregon
    Posts : 214
    Windows 8 Pro w/Media Center, Windows RT


    Quote Originally Posted by sashlon View Post
    I don't think Microsoft made a mistake at all.... It's exactly how they intended to release it. The reasons behind the metro/desktop combo are pretty obvious really. People lament about it being 'confusing' or 'unproductive'. I figured windows 8 out in a few days back when the Release Preview came out. Its really not that hard. Also, it is as productive as you make it.

    Microsoft is trying to build a platform with PCs, tablets and smartphones that is as unified as possible. That's why Windows 8 is the same on a laptop as it is on a tablet, with or without touch. Apple and Google have been doing this for years. Microsoft's first real effort to match them is the windows 8/RT/phone platform, and they've done a great job. My wife has an iPad 3, I have a Nexus 7 and a Surface RT. The Surface RT smokes the other two in web browsing speed, productivity, battery life and general speed. The only area its lacking in is apps. Those will come.

    Windows 8 on a computer is great. I have never enjoyed an OS so much. You can make it whatever you want. Want a Start Button? Easily done. Want to skip the Metro interface? Easily done. Want to unify the two interfaces? Easily done. Its highly customizable.
    Spot-on! What many don't understand is that Microsoft HAS to make the move to a more functional UI across platforms where apps and desktop programs coexist. Not to do so means they would be relegated to a desktop only OS vendor with no unified cross-platform solution. That, not Windows 8, is a recipe for corporate suicide (in time, Google would prevail).
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
There is no Plan B
Related Threads
Power Plan Affecting WiFI? in Performance & Maintenance
I was on a balanced power plan on my laptop while streaming on Netflix from my xbox. I couldn't get on any site on the laptop but I was able to use my iphone. On a hunch I switched to high performance and it works. Not sure if there is a relationship between power and the wifi on my laptop.
Solved how to remove entry's in win 8.1 power plan in Performance & Maintenance
Hi so is there any way to remove old not needed advanced entries in the windows 8.1 power plan settings. here is a picture of what i'm talking about. highlighted in red is what i don't need anymore any way to remove it?. 51352
Verizon's diabolical plan to turn the Web into pay-per-view | The Industry Standard - InfoWorld
Here is the whole story hope some one at M$ listens. A Windows 8 rebuild plan for Microsoft | ZDNet
What Power Plan do you use? in Performance & Maintenance
As title suggests, what power plan do you normally use on Windows 8? Do you switch between power plans depending on the situation at hand? I run Balanced most of the time, since my AMD CPU has Cool'N'Quiet technology, then switch over to High Performance when gaming.
Is there a plan B.? in General Support
Hi all, what happens if MS dont call there next OS Windows 8.:eek:
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook