There is no Plan B

Microsoft has not made much of a dent in Apple's and Google's domination of mobile computing, but a top executive has hinted that it will not stop trying and does not have an alternative strategy.

"We're very focused on continuing the success we have with PCs and taking that to tablets and phones," Microsoft's chief financial officer Peter Klein said at the annual Goldman Sachs Technology and Internet Conference in San Francisco.

Given Microsoft's lack of success so far, he was asked if there was an alternative strategy or 'Plan B' in reserve.

"It's less 'Plan B' than how you execute on the current plan," said Klein. "We aim to evolve this generation of Windows to make sure we have the right set of experiences at the right price points for all customers."

Microsoft Mobile | Windows Phone 8, Surface Tablet | No Plan B

Then listen to your customers, separate the desktop from the MPI and give people what they want!

RT on a desktop? Are you sure you understand the differences between RT and the full version. RT is not able to run on a desktop no matter what you do. RT is built for a completely different architecture than normal windows. x86/64 is long instruction and RT is designed for a short instruction processor something a desktop doesn't have. There is literally no chance of RT making it to a desktop environment considering that. It would mean designing a desktop that used a short instruction processor like an ARM or RISC (I think RISC is Short Inst) But that isn't likely to happen. We already have windows which was built for x86 and there is no reason to convert RT to x86 when it already exists in that form. So basically RT was a version of windows that would run on short instruction processors found in some phones and tablets. It doesn't pan out well because it is new and there is a lack of software that we are familiar with on the x86 version.

I think a lot of people are confused by the differences between the 2 versions and simply calling it Windows RT is not very descriptive for an average user.

RT on the desktop is the MPI (Mobile Phone Interface), the Start Menu, the Modern Interface, the Metro interface, the stupid boxes that fill every inch of your screen. An utter piece of rubbish on a desktop, even on a tablet running Windows Pro.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64
It never gets stale. The day people stop talking about it, is the day that Microsoft (and some here on the forum) declares that there's not a problem, everyone has accepted Windows 8 as being a great product.

Exactly.

If people stop complaining, then other operating systems might copy the awful Metro.

Metro looks good on big screens, it's just some of the Apps that don't look too crash hot at the moment, but they'll get there. I know my wife likes some of the games and I like Xbox Music and the travel App and Office 365 looks good on there, and I see Pulse has just made an appearance.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro/Windows 8 Pro/Windows 7 64 Bit64Bit/Windows XP
Metro looks crap on a big screen. Why would anyone want a menu to fill an entire screen? It should be a window that could be sized and moved to suit the user, not an 'in your face' statement saying this is what your mobile phone looks like.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64
It never gets stale. The day people stop talking about it, is the day that Microsoft (and some here on the forum) declares that there's not a problem, everyone has accepted Windows 8 as being a great product.

So true. But I don't think there's much chance that "we" will stop talking about it or Microsoft. :D

Microsoft is in trouble and needs to make fundamental, deep-seated and necessary product changes if they are to maintain any significant market share and mindshare going forward. I believe they are doing that and personally like the Windows 8, RT, Phone, and Cloud strategy they are attempting and hope they pull it off (only time will tell).

The future (today?) will be fragmented with more than one player in dominate roles and leadership positions. The era where one company – Microsoft – dominates is over. I remember when IBM was dominant in their markets. They aren’t today, but they are still a substantial competitive force. That’s what Microsoft has to do, i.e., continue to be a market force even with a diminished market share. Doing that will be the measure of success.

We won’t know the verdict for many years yet, which gives us all plenty of time to prognosticate in this and other forums.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro w/Media Center, Windows RT
Metro looks crap on a big screen. Why would anyone want a menu to fill an entire screen? It should be a window that could be sized and moved to suit the user, not an 'in your face' statement saying this is what your mobile phone looks like.
That's your opinion Ray, and I know many others, but this is the way it is for now, and it's not that hard to avoid. Who knows what will eventuate in the future but the idea is there and that's what counts.

My Computer

System One

• OS
But note that what started this thread was a news report from an interview with Microsoft; it's not something that I concocted out of thin air just to stir the hornet's nest. These questions are being asked worldwide of Microsoft, they are issues that are becoming far more prevalent as Windows 8 becomes better known. They are issues that are being reported more frequently and widely.

Microsoft will have to take notice, the bottom line will be the driving factor and currently Microsoft is being rather quiet about that bottom line. We haven't heard a rant from Bulmer for quite some time and if Windows 8 was kicking all of those goals that were clearly predicted, then he would have been bellowing out the success story.

But it isn't a success story, it's beginning to look like a tragedy. The vast majority of people that Microsoft has targeted simply ignore Windows 8 (Surface etc) and those that have taken the plunge are frustrated by what has been provided (apart from a few who just bath in its radiance, until the gloss wears off). If Microsoft doesn't start to listen, then it will be in major trouble.

My Computer

System One

• OS
But note that what started this thread was a news report from an interview with Microsoft; it's not something that I concocted out of thin air just to stir the hornet's nest. These questions are being asked worldwide of Microsoft, they are issues that are becoming far more prevalent as Windows 8 becomes better known. They are issues that are being reported more frequently and widely.

Microsoft will have to take notice, the bottom line will be the driving factor and currently Microsoft is being rather quiet about that bottom line. We haven't heard a rant from Bulmer for quite some time and if Windows 8 was kicking all of those goals that were clearly predicted, then he would have been bellowing out the success story.

But it isn't a success story, it's beginning to look like a tragedy. The vast majority of people that Microsoft has targeted simply ignore Windows 8 (Surface etc) and those that have taken the plunge are frustrated by what has been provided (apart from a few who just bath in its radiance, until the gloss wears off). If Microsoft doesn't start to listen, then it will be in major trouble.

Well my opinion is if they come here looking for answers they might as well shut the gate now, they need a future, not a past.

My Computer

System One

• OS
"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it" - Jorge Agustín Nicolás Ruiz de Santayana y Borrás

My Computer

System One

• OS

Exactly.

If people stop complaining, then other operating systems might copy the awful Metro.
Actually, android is starting to copy some pieces from Windows Phone, google already has pretty much taken the metro design form into most of their online services. apple is kind of doing the same on ios and iTunes.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    1 TB Seagate Barracuda (starting to hate Seagate)
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    Windows 8.1 is installed on a SanDisk Ultra Plus 256 GB
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Arctic Cooler with 3 heatpipes
    Keyboard
    Logitech K750 wireless solar powered keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, but I might go back on KIS 2014
"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it" - Jorge Agustín Nicolás Ruiz de Santayana y Borrás
Yeah, the past included Windows vista, Zune, 2000, Bob, Office 2007, Windows 7 Windows Phone, and many other things. If there is one thing that won't repeat is vista. Since then, anything about Windows has been pretty tight lipped unlike before. Actually, things from Microsoft in general seem to be more tight lipped...

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
Microsoft has not made much of a dent in Apple's and Google's domination of mobile computing, but a top executive has hinted that it will not stop trying and does not have an alternative strategy.

"We're very focused on continuing the success we have with PCs and taking that to tablets and phones," Microsoft's chief financial officer Peter Klein said at the annual Goldman Sachs Technology and Internet Conference in San Francisco.

Given Microsoft's lack of success so far, he was asked if there was an alternative strategy or 'Plan B' in reserve.

"It's less 'Plan B' than how you execute on the current plan," said Klein. "We aim to evolve this generation of Windows to make sure we have the right set of experiences at the right price points for all customers."

Microsoft Mobile | Windows Phone 8, Surface Tablet | No Plan B

Then listen to your customers, separate the desktop from the MPI and give people what they want!

There is already a separation from the Desktop and metro UI, it's called the Start Screen. You know, the part of the UI where you can put some Desktop programs tiles on?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
There is already a separation from the Desktop and metro UI, it's called the Start Screen. You know, the part of the UI where you can put some Desktop programs tiles on?

And yet after so many posts, you still don't understand. This is the reason why the fight must continue, until even the thickest skulls in Microsoft can finally comprehend what so many are saying.

My Computer

System One

• OS

And yet after so many posts, you still don't understand. This is the reason why the fight must continue, until even the thickest skulls in Microsoft can finally comprehend what so many are saying.
And this is why the fight continues so many thick skulled can comprehend that Windows 8 can do whatever the user wants it to do.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
Also, there is a definitive difference between criticism and constructive criticism. No one listen to criticism unless if it's constructive. So far, there hasn't been a single person against Windows 8 that has offered a good piece of constructive criticism.

"It needs a start menu!" Said every Windows 8 dissenter.
"It needs a facebook app!" Said every person that doesn't understand what the term "desktop browser" means.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
And this is why the fight continues so many thick skulled can comprehend that Windows 8 can do whatever the user wants it to do.

No it doesn't. Without resorting to third party programs, I can't have the user interface that I enjoy with Windows 7.

Also, there is a definitive difference between criticism and constructive criticism. No one listen to criticism unless if it's constructive. So far, there hasn't been a single person against Windows 8 that has offered a good piece of constructive criticism.

"It needs a start menu!" Said every Windows 8 dissenter.
"It needs a facebook app!" Said every person that doesn't understand what the term "desktop browser" means.

Very noble of you to so bluntly disparage anyone who doesn't agree with your view of the world or who doesn't come up to your standards.

My Computer

System One

• OS
c707f44a17bea57cab69b2e0d767e35b.jpgHow will we ever survive?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro
    Dell
    Screen Resolution
    1280x800
    Other Info
    Surface RT
View attachment 16741How will we ever survive?

:thumb: Yes, how will we ever survive?! OMG! Where is it?!! Why did they put it there?!! What is this screen called Start?!! Where's the desktop?!! OMG! Where's Start Orb and Start Menu?!! My whole world is crushed!! OMG! It's all falling in around me!! What will we ever do now??!!!

BTW, welcome to EightForums, sashlon. :)

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Intel Pentium D Dual Core
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3000 - PCI Express x16
    Sound Card
    Integrated RealTek ALC888 high-definition audio with 7.1 channel audio support
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    350 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Desktop 7.2" (183mm) W x 17.5" (445mm) L x 14.5"
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
    Office Pro 2013 / Nokia Lumia 1520 Windows Phone 8.1DP GDR1

No it doesn't. Without resorting to third party programs, I can't have the user interface that I enjoy with Windows 7.

In case you haven't realized, this isn't Windows 7. If you want Windows 7 that badly, go back to Windows 7. Honestly, if you're still complaining about the Start Screen, which is faster and more convenient to navigate than the 7 start menu, you obviously just dislike Metro. No one is going to chastise you for going back.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Professional x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    i7 920 2.66GHz (OC to 3.8GHz)
    Motherboard
    MSI Pro x58
    Memory
    6GB OCZ Gold