WindowsAndroid

Previously we have seen Android apps running on Windows systems via the Bluestacks App Player. That solution created an environment on your computer that allowed you to run Android apps through an emulation layer. Now there’s a new solution called WindowsAndroid which runs a port of Android natively on the Windows kernel (Windows Vista or newer) instead of Linux.

WindowsAndroid appears to be a very promising project which could achieve mass-appeal, especially to the wave of Windows 8 touchscreen ultrabook buyers predicted to come in summer.

Android ICS runs natively on your Windows PC thanks to SocketeQ - Software - News - HEXUS.net

Android Surface tablets anyone?

I've been seeing up a handful of Windows 8 machines at work. The execs see it as neat and flashy and such a part of the future that they have to get on board. However myself and the other techs setting it up, have said "f-ing Windows 8" more times than you can possibly imagine. It's only half baked in my opinion.

How often do you see an OS fully cooked, they're in a continual process of cooking. The last couple of IOS upgrades on my iPads have been a real pain, with WiFi dropouts and crashes and slowdowns. Even the Jellybean upgrade on my HTC One X has caused it to slow down and yet it's supposed to be butter smooth.

I would say all OS are half baked.

Well, in the past, we haven't had situations where we had 2 different version of internet explorer to worry about. With having the immersive IE and the destkop IE and having them work and look differently is just a pain (especially for a trade show where you want to present consistency and make sure that employees who are demonstrating the products get consistent results).

But along comes Windows 8....and the execs really "want" to present the WOW factor using the touchscreens and immersive IE. But then they discover that we have "flash" based apps, which require the flash player and we are currently not on the Microsoft approved "whitelist". (We have applied, we are waiting for acceptance by Microsoft). So, turns out that I can create a registry key with a DebugDomain...but it only works for 1 domain....but we have products utilizing 3 different domains, so we cannot make them all work. Also, the fact that some apps use ActiveX controls, which don't work at all in the immersive IE. So, they have to settle for some apps in Immersive IE and some apps in Legacy IE. Then, we discover that the onscreen keyboard doesn't always fire in the classic desktop version of IE, but always pops up in the Metro version of IE. To get the onscreen keyboard up, we have to pull up charms, settings, click keyboard and then pick the Acer installed keyboard to get it to popup on screen when it doesn't automatically happen.

Then, we have apps which run and work best under Google Chrome. However, we cannot run Google Chrome in "metro app" mode without making it the default browser...which then eliminates our ability to use the Immersive IE..which now defaults back to legacy desktop mode. So, we cannot run both IE and Chrome as a Metro style app, it's either 1 or the other.

Then, we have a product which runs best if UAC is disabled, but at our tradeshow we really have to run the computer with a limited user account, but once we do that, we don't have the ability to turn off UAC for that user. And while we can make a registry key change to shut off UAC entirely, this totally breaks the Metro apps themselves from running.

Then, we want to customize the background images of the Start Screen to have corporate backgrounds for the tradeshow. The execs were kinda shocked that I had to resort to 3rd party apps (Decor8 from Stardock) in order to be able to change that background. They too thought that Windows 8 was designed to be very customizable and just the way you want it.

Some of the changes to the system happen in the metro versions of the Settings menu's, while other things throw you back into the classic control panel.

It's just apparent that it's 2 systems, blended together and it really only feels like it's half complete. I've never had a Windows OS feel so disconnected before.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Intel Q9550 2.83Ghz OC'd to 3.40Ghz
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R rev. 1.1, F12 BIOS
    Memory
    8GB G.Skill PI DDR2-800, 4-4-4-12 timings
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA 1280MB Nvidia GeForce GTX570
    Sound Card
    Realtek ALC899A 8 channel onboard audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Intel X25-M 80GB Gen 2 SSD
    Western Digital 1TB Caviar Black, 32MB cache. WD1001FALS
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info
    Windows and Linux enthusiast. Logitech G35 Headset.
Like I said, all OS are half baked, but I'm sure with time some of those issues will be addressed. Don't forget you're doing things most other people never do. Don't also forget this is a major transition for an OS and there will be problems for some and not so many for others.

Also for a lot of people there will be no problems apart from the fact that they have to learn a new way of doing things. I suppose in a perfect world Microsoft could have just stuck with Windows 7 with minor improvements every year, but this is not a perfect world and companies have to adapt or die, look at RIM and Nokia.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro/Windows 8 Pro/Windows 7 64 Bit64Bit/Windows XP
Don't forget you're doing things most other people never do.
By this you mean I am actually trying to use the computer, make it productive and workable in a corporate environment rather than just playing and goofing around with it???? Doing things as we need to actually do them, rather than however MS thinks we should now be doing something(I kid, I kid).

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info
By this you mean I am actually trying to use the computer, make it productive and workable in a corporate environment rather than just playing and goofing around with it???? Doing things as we need to actually do them, rather than however MS thinks we should now be doing something(I kid, I kid).

I wanted to answer to your prior post, but I have to go meet my lady for a few. Sounds to me like a real juggling act. Also sounds like your "execs" are pushing the envelope. Same as most bosses -> I want you to piddle green on St. Patty's Day. You should try and read building blueprints once. HeeHee! We call them comic strips. All looks good on paper and in theory, but try and get it to look like the picture!

A lot of that is not the OS's fault. Your "execs" are rushing it and putting your team under the crunch. What you may need are new 'execs", not another OS. :p

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Intel Pentium D Dual Core
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3000 - PCI Express x16
    Sound Card
    Integrated RealTek ALC888 high-definition audio with 7.1 channel audio support
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    350 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Desktop 7.2" (183mm) W x 17.5" (445mm) L x 14.5"
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
    Office Pro 2013 / Nokia Lumia 1520 Windows Phone 8.1DP GDR1

I don't think Microsoft would want to leave the Corporate world behind and I'm sure they are working hard to correct any problems. I hope you get your problems sorted sooner than later.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro/Windows 8 Pro/Windows 7 64 Bit64Bit/Windows XP
I've been seeing up a handful of Windows 8 machines at work. The execs see it as neat and flashy and such a part of the future that they have to get on board. However myself and the other techs setting it up, have said "f-ing Windows 8" more times than you can possibly imagine. It's only half baked in my opinion.

How often do you see an OS fully cooked, they're in a continual process of cooking. The last couple of IOS upgrades on my iPads have been a real pain, with WiFi dropouts and crashes and slowdowns. Even the Jellybean upgrade on my HTC One X has caused it to slow down and yet it's supposed to be butter smooth.

I would say all OS are half baked.

Well, in the past, we haven't had situations where we had 2 different version of internet explorer to worry about. With having the immersive IE and the destkop IE and having them work and look differently is just a pain (especially for a trade show where you want to present consistency and make sure that employees who are demonstrating the products get consistent results).

But along comes Windows 8....and the execs really "want" to present the WOW factor using the touchscreens and immersive IE. But then they discover that we have "flash" based apps, which require the flash player and we are currently not on the Microsoft approved "whitelist". (We have applied, we are waiting for acceptance by Microsoft). So, turns out that I can create a registry key with a DebugDomain...but it only works for 1 domain....but we have products utilizing 3 different domains, so we cannot make them all work. Also, the fact that some apps use ActiveX controls, which don't work at all in the immersive IE. So, they have to settle for some apps in Immersive IE and some apps in Legacy IE. Then, we discover that the onscreen keyboard doesn't always fire in the classic desktop version of IE, but always pops up in the Metro version of IE. To get the onscreen keyboard up, we have to pull up charms, settings, click keyboard and then pick the Acer installed keyboard to get it to popup on screen when it doesn't automatically happen.

Then, we have apps which run and work best under Google Chrome. However, we cannot run Google Chrome in "metro app" mode without making it the default browser...which then eliminates our ability to use the Immersive IE..which now defaults back to legacy desktop mode. So, we cannot run both IE and Chrome as a Metro style app, it's either 1 or the other.

Then, we have a product which runs best if UAC is disabled, but at our tradeshow we really have to run the computer with a limited user account, but once we do that, we don't have the ability to turn off UAC for that user. And while we can make a registry key change to shut off UAC entirely, this totally breaks the Metro apps themselves from running.

Then, we want to customize the background images of the Start Screen to have corporate backgrounds for the tradeshow. The execs were kinda shocked that I had to resort to 3rd party apps (Decor8 from Stardock) in order to be able to change that background. They too thought that Windows 8 was designed to be very customizable and just the way you want it.

Some of the changes to the system happen in the metro versions of the Settings menu's, while other things throw you back into the classic control panel.

It's just apparent that it's 2 systems, blended together and it really only feels like it's half complete. I've never had a Windows OS feel so disconnected before.

Did you ever try doing the registry hack to add the website to immersive IE whitelist?

Also, could you try going to the Desktop IE and hitting F11 and running it in fullscreen mode?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    1 TB Seagate Barracuda (starting to hate Seagate)
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    Windows 8.1 is installed on a SanDisk Ultra Plus 256 GB
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Arctic Cooler with 3 heatpipes
    Keyboard
    Logitech K750 wireless solar powered keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, but I might go back on KIS 2014
Did you ever try doing the registry hack to add the website to immersive IE whitelist?
Yes, as explained above, I made the entry, but it only allows ONE domain to be added. So, if you add company.com...but also have apps on newcompany.com....well that just won't work. You cannot add 2 debugdomains to the registry.

Also, could you try going to the Desktop IE and hitting F11 and running it in fullscreen mode?
Yes, we tried to do this, but they didn't like it. You couldn't swipe down from the top to add new tabs like you could in the immersive version of IE and the onscreen keyboard doesn't spring up automatically in the desktop version as it does in the immersive IE.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info
A lot of that is not the OS's fault. Your "execs" are rushing it and putting your team under the crunch. What you may need are new 'execs", not another OS. :p
A lot of blame is in the apps and their ability to work properly under these new browsers....but I cannot overlook the fact that we have 2 versions of IE and they are significantly different.

If you show up at trade shows running the old technology, you get a bad rap. As a software company, being on the edge and ahead of the curve is where companies feel they have to be. Unfortunately, by having to use Windows 8 we are forced to put in a crap ton of effort in order to show off products that either aren't designed for 8 and won't work well anyway, or be shown to customers who don't have an interest in 8 anyway (our customers are far more likely to be running XP boxes than any other OS...it's just the nature of the auto industry). It's just a shame that we have to take so much bad with the good at the present time. It can only improve going forward.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info
I'm gonna have my say in this; Android running on a Windows machine, without virtualization via VirtualBox or similar is great!

Reason I say so, is because it is MUCH easier for developers like myself. Testing Android kernels and tweaks/apps doesn't always work in Virtualization (because of it being in a .img file and tweaking needs to be done), nor can it really be tested extensively via the Google SDK Emulator.

Having (hopefully) multiple versions of Android running without virtualization seems a great goal, and extremely useful.

That's just my 5 cents. I'll be posting this on XDA with a link back to here :) I'm sure Android developers like myself would be highly interested in this!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 64 Bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    Intel i7 6700K
    Motherboard
    ASRock Z170 Extreme4
    Memory
    Corsair Vengeance 3200MHz 64GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA RTX 2060 Super
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Xiaomi ‎XM700001 + Dell P2421
    Screen Resolution
    3440x1440
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 870 Evo 1TB, Samsung 870 Evo 500GB, WD Blue EZRZ 4TB x3
    PSU
    Silverstone Strider 650W Gold Plus
    Cooling
    Noctua NH-D15
    Keyboard
    Coolermaster Masterkeys Pro S
    Mouse
    Razer Basilisk Ultimate
    Internet Speed
    100/40
    Browser
    Firefox
Yes, as explained above, I made the entry, but it only allows ONE domain to be added. So, if you add company.com...but also have apps on newcompany.com....well that just won't work. You cannot add 2 debugdomains to the registry.

How about adding your sites to the whitelist xml file directly? I do that on my Surface all the time and can access any Flash site I want.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7, Windows 8 RP
Hi there

You've been able to run Android as a VM on a PC / laptop for "Donkey's years - and for non touch screens you can use the mouse.

There are even "ready built" Virtual appliances (in plain English - a ready to run pre-built Virtual Machine) for VMware and Virtual Box.

For starters play around with this (VMware player is free) - there's other stuff all over the web --google will bring up loads of links.

Installing Android x86 4.0 in Vmware Player

Now if you want to run it natively just do a V2P (Virtual to physical) conversion by one of the various utilities out there.

As a Linux based Os it shouldn't be hard to do it from scratch anyway -- I'm sure you can get the source code and then simply compile and build the system.

Why you'd want to run Android on your laptop I'm not sure --that's what a PHONE is for -- however I'm sure you can develop apps quite readily using the Android VM.

There must be some proper Android development platforms around --those 100,000's apps in the google play store just didn't appear by magic.

Android SDK | Android Developers

cheers
jimbo

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives