Windows 'Threshold': More on plan to win over Windows 7...

Windows "Threshold," the next major version of Microsoft's Windows operating system due to hit around the spring of 2015, is coming into focus.

And not too surprisingly, one of the Microsoft Operating Systems Group's main goals in designing and developing the coming operating system (OS) release -- which may or may not ultimately be branded as "Windows 9" -- is to try to make it more palatable to hold-out Windows 7 users.

In order to do this, Microsoft is working on including in Threshold lots of new features specifically aimed at "desktop" users, meaning those who interact primarily with their Windows computing device from a desktop or laptop PC with mouse/keyboard and optional touch.

With Windows 8.1 Update, Microsoft officials designed Windows around a set of profiles based on the hardware specifications of the devices in use. Certain devices running Windows 8.1 Update include Power and Search buttons on the Metro-style Start screen; others don't. Some of those running Windows 8.1 Update have their machines start up by default in the Desktop/Win32 legacy environment, while others on touch/mobile-first devices start up in the Metro-Style Start Menu by default.

According to my sources, Microsoft will continue in this vein with Windows Threshold. The Threshold OS will look and work differently based on hardware type.

Read more: Windows 'Threshold': More on Microsoft's plan to win over Windows 7 users | ZDNet

In my opinion, the best one is:
"Windows Threshold is looking like it could be free to all Windows 8.1 Update, and maybe even Windows 7 Service Pack 1, users."

Oh boy....that's good news!

LOL.

It is clear vast numbers of consumers are staying away from 8x, because they do not like the online integration/metro rubbish.

Governments are also staying away , because they do not like the online integration/metro rubbish.

What is the problem with 8x, then?

MS next attempt will include the online/metro stuff but it will be more subtle, and anything they can think of to get consumers off win7. Including free "upgrade" offers, and a variety of attempts to make it difficult for consumers to get/use win7.

Be fascinating to see how they get on with these manipulation efforts.

I hear they are (allegedly) going to make metro go away in enterprise version. No such blessed relief on the horizon for consumers, though.

yeaa... if MS really wanna get ahead and reach the wider business class or even government organisations, i think getting off the metro apps and bringing in more of win 7 with many more simple enough features yet brilliant ones would be the key & it may be seen only in enterprise edition i suppose.

but for end user consumers i don't think win 8.1 type features including metro apps with necessary desktop features is something that harms... it's actually a path breaking innovation. only thing.. it takes some time to get accustomed to it. bringing up customised start menu is a good option though.

Visruth

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8.1 Update x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavilion 15
    CPU
    Haswell Core i5 4200U
    Memory
    8GB Dual-Channel DDR3L @1600
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel HD 4400 Integrated; 2GB Dedicated NVIDIA GT 740M
    Hard Drives
    500GB Samsung 840 EVO Internal SSD ;
    2TB WD MyPassport Ultra EHDD ;
    1TB TOSHIBA HDD
    Cooling
    Deepcool X6
    Mouse
    Logitech B175 Wireless Mouse
    Internet Speed
    10 Mbps
    Browser
    Opera v25.0
    Antivirus
    KIS 2014
    Other Info
    Microsoft Wired Xbox 360 Controller
I seriously doubt 9 will be the panacea everyone expects. I suspect it will be heavy into promoting Bing and Microsoft's cloud services and try to rope consumers into a monthly subscription plan. It seems as though productivity is a mute cause with the company's profit only concept.

All I read about are cosmetic changes, nothing else substantial, the app store will not offer anything new.

If I have 7 and 8 why would I even need 9?

if that's the plan... I'm better off with win 8.1 upd 1/2. will have to wait for reviews n critics convince me that 'I'll regret in not having win 9'.

Visruth

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8.1 Update x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP Pavilion 15
    CPU
    Haswell Core i5 4200U
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Hard Drives
    1TB TOSHIBA HDD
    Cooling
    Deepcool X6
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    10 Mbps
    Browser
    Opera v25.0
    Antivirus
    KIS 2014
    Other Info
In my opinion, the best one is:
"Windows Threshold is looking like it could be free to all Windows 8.1 Update, and maybe even Windows 7 Service Pack 1, users."

Oh boy....that's good news!

That's the first I've heard about being free to Windows 7 SP1 users. That will likely make some people happy. Those that paid to upgrade to 8.0 or 8.1 might be a bit peeved though.

if there's nothing fascinating about '9', even free upgrade won't do the job for me.... win 8.1 upd 1/2 is much better than win 8.1. that's more than enough for me..

Visruth

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8.1 Update x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP Pavilion 15
    CPU
    Haswell Core i5 4200U
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Hard Drives
    1TB TOSHIBA HDD
    Cooling
    Deepcool X6
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    10 Mbps
    Browser
    Opera v25.0
    Antivirus
    KIS 2014
    Other Info
The other thing I'm excited about with Windows 9 is that everywhere that's been quoting these rumors all report that if you look at 9 to 8.1.1, you WILL KNOW which is which right off the bat. That's going to be quite interesting.

But the thing I am expecting them to screw up is the Desktop UI design. Why in the world they thought keeping Aero styling and continuing it, all but flattening down three elements of it is a good idea? It's not. Mixing Aero icons and metro icons is horrendous looking, one has all these drop shadows, faux lighting effects, gloss, and 3D perspectives all while at the same time next to metro iconography that's typically just a white flat icon with that tile's main color. So the obvious is the now just keep what's going on the same and mush them RIGHT next to each other on a start menu. It's just horrid to look at.

I mean, the Windows Phone team isn't as big as the Windows team, but yet when they rebuilt Windows Mobile 6 over to Windows Phone 7, they redid EVERYTHING from the ground up. They made all these new iconography sets for use in the UI and left like four old icons at initial launch. I would just wish the Windows group now gets it together and does that.

Keep things freaking consistent. Gosh.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    1 TB Seagate Barracuda (starting to hate Seagate)
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    Windows 8.1 is installed on a SanDisk Ultra Plus 256 GB
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Arctic Cooler with 3 heatpipes
    Keyboard
    Logitech K750 wireless solar powered keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, but I might go back on KIS 2014
I'm thinking the no Metro option in the Enterprise edition is more for the IT guy than the end user. No none work related activities during working hours.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Education 64 Bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Asus
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II X4 980 Black Edition Deneb 3.7GHz
    Motherboard
    ASUS M4N68T-M V2 µATX Motherboard
    Memory
    8GB 4GBx2 Kingston PC10600 DDR3 1333 Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA Geforce GT640 2 Gig DDR3 PCIe
    Sound Card
    VIA VT1708s High Definition Audio 8-channel Onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    22" LG E2242 1080p and 2 19" I-INC AG191D
    Screen Resolution
    1280x1024 - 1920x1080 - 1280x1024
    Hard Drives
    Crucial MX100 256 GB SSD and 500 GB WD Blue SATA
    PSU
    Thermaltake TR 620
    Case
    Power Up Black ATX Mid-Tower Case
    Cooling
    Stock heatsink fan
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wireless K350 Wave
    Mouse
    Logitech M570 Trackball and T650 TouchPad
    Internet Speed
    80 Mbps Down 30 Mbps Up
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    HP DVD1040e Lightscribe - External USB2
I'm thinking the no Metro option in the Enterprise edition is more for the IT guy than the end user. No none work related activities during working hours.

Yeah, that must have been a toughie for the board considering Enterprise was specifically given sideloading functionality...anyway hope they finally scrap Sinovsky's ill-conceived hybrid philosophy.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    PC-DOS v1.0
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    IBM
    CPU
    Intel 8088, 4.77MHz
    Memory
    16K, 640K max
    Graphics Card(s)
    What's that?
    Sound Card
    Not quite
    Screen Resolution
    80 X 24 text
    Hard Drives
    dual 160KB 5.25-inch disk drives

Yeah, that must have been a toughie for the board considering Enterprise was specifically given sideloading functionality...anyway hope they finally scrap Sinovsky's ill-conceived hybrid philosophy.

The higher ups will likely get the use of the Metro Apps. It'll be the grunts in the cubicles that get locked out. I Don't know, obviously some company or companies asked for this functionality, why, who knows?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Asus
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Thermaltake TR 620
    Case
    Cooling
    Stock heatsink fan
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    80 Mbps Down 30 Mbps Up
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
The other thing I'm excited about with Windows 9 is that everywhere that's been quoting these rumors all report that if you look at 9 to 8.1.1, you WILL KNOW which is which right off the bat. That's going to be quite interesting.

But the thing I am expecting them to screw up is the Desktop UI design. Why in the world they thought keeping Aero styling and continuing it, all but flattening down three elements of it is a good idea? It's not. Mixing Aero icons and metro icons is horrendous looking, one has all these drop shadows, faux lighting effects, gloss, and 3D perspectives all while at the same time next to metro iconography that's typically just a white flat icon with that tile's main color. So the obvious is the now just keep what's going on the same and mush them RIGHT next to each other on a start menu. It's just horrid to look at.

I mean, the Windows Phone team isn't as big as the Windows team, but yet when they rebuilt Windows Mobile 6 over to Windows Phone 7, they redid EVERYTHING from the ground up. They made all these new iconography sets for use in the UI and left like four old icons at initial launch. I would just wish the Windows group now gets it together and does that.

yea... metro app loaded start menu along side aero icons & shadows will be just like watching Federer play Nadal in grand slam! ;)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8.1 Update x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP Pavilion 15
    CPU
    Haswell Core i5 4200U
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Hard Drives
    1TB TOSHIBA HDD
    Cooling
    Deepcool X6
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    10 Mbps
    Browser
    Opera v25.0
    Antivirus
    KIS 2014
    Other Info
My understanding is they are now one group under Terry Myerson. It wasn't this way before the restructuring. I'm sure we can expect a bit more consistency moving forward, but ain't going to happen overnight.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    Tablet
    Microsoft Surface Pro 3, Dell Venue 8 Pro, i5 2500K overclocked PC
    CPU
    i5
    Memory
    4gb Surface Pro, 8gb PC
Windows 9 needs to be about choice. If we don't want apps and new metro way of doing things we should be able to turn it off. If we do want a fondleslab mode with no desktop or a desktop with no start menu we should be able to do that too. If we want the whole works (for developers, tech support) then we should be able to install that too. If you go back to Windows 95 and 98 you could select what you wanted to install down to which games, themes and even a screensaver let alone system tools and modes. I know some of that was due to hard drive space in those days but systems were highly configurable then. Now not so much. If they make everything optional so I could for example choose Desktop PC with Aero, Start Menu, Media Center.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 64 Bit and VM
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home Built (Saberkitty)
    CPU
    AMD FX-8350 Vishera 32nm Technology @ 4.1 GHz default
    Motherboard
    ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0 (Socket 942)
    Memory
    G Skill F3-2400-8GZM
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA GeForce GTX 960 4GB Super SC ACX 2.0+ with Back Plate GDDR5 128bit, PCI-E 3.0
    Sound Card
    Creative X-Fi Titanium HD Audiophile PCIe
    Monitor(s) Displays
    LG L227WTG x 3
    Screen Resolution
    1680 x 1050
    Hard Drives
    238GB TOSHIBA THNSNJ256GCST SATA Disk Device (SSD)
    1863GB Seagate ST2000DM 001-1CH164 (SATA)
    1397GB Seagate ST1500DL 003-9VT16L(SATA)
    466GB Western Digital WDC WD50 03AZEX-00K1GA0 (SATA) x 2
    932GB Seagate ST310005 28AS SATA Disk Device (SATA)
    PSU
    Enermax Revolution87+ 1000 Watts Gold Certified Power Supply
    Case
    Rocketfish Full Tower
    Cooling
    Cooler Master 212 with push pull fans
    Keyboard
    Logitech K740
    Mouse
    Logitech Laser
    Internet Speed
    Fibre Cable 100 down 30 up.
    Browser
    IE 10 Firefox
    Antivirus
    Avast, MSE and common sense
    Other Info
    3 x LG L227WTG @ 1680 x 1050 16:10 monitors.
    Using Mouse Without Borders (Google it)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    PC-DOS v1.0
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    IBM
    CPU
    Intel 8088, 4.77MHz
    Memory
    16K, 640K max
    Graphics Card(s)
    What's that?
    Sound Card
    Not quite
    Screen Resolution
    80 X 24 text
    Hard Drives
There is more to Metro apps that just games by the way. Seeing the way this thread is going though I think I'll just bow out now.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Asus
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Thermaltake TR 620
    Case
    Cooling
    Stock heatsink fan
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    80 Mbps Down 30 Mbps Up
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info

I am not quite certain, what you are referring to. If you are talking about the desktop start menu, I read that an option was to be added to allow you to choose the style you wished it to be. If you wanted to turn off Metro menu or the Classic menu, or leave them both on, you could. Supposedly, the MS big push, is to allow the consumer a myriad of options. But, you just can't believe anything you read now-a-days.

But again, to me it sounds like Windows 9 is all about eye candy, Bing and cloud services, not sure it would be worth $120 or $200 for a Pro version. At the least, they should provide Media Center as part of the OS, as in Windows 7.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 7 & 8
Microsoft is testing a fix for Windows 8.1 upgrade woes

"There are many Windows 8 and RT users who want to upgrade to Windows 8.1 and RT 8.1, but can't. A glitch has kept a seemingly random batch of PCs from installing this latest revision through the Windows Store. Thankfully, relief is in sight. Microsoft tells for Windows that it's testing a patch which automatically upgrades these stubborn computers to their respective 8.1 releases. If you're eligible, you only need to check Windows Update (not the Store) to get the ball rolling. Microsoft isn't saying if and when the fix will spread worldwide."

SOURCE: Microsoft is testing a fix for Windows 8.1 upgrade woes

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8.1 Update x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP Pavilion 15
    CPU
    Haswell Core i5 4200U
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Hard Drives
    1TB TOSHIBA HDD
    Cooling
    Deepcool X6
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    10 Mbps
    Browser
    Opera v25.0
    Antivirus
    KIS 2014
    Other Info

I am not quite certain, what you are referring to. If you are talking about the desktop start menu, I read that an option was to be added to allow you to choose the style you wished it to be. If you wanted to turn off Metro menu or the Classic menu, or leave them both on, you could. Supposedly, the MS big push, is to allow the consumer a myriad of options. But, you just can't believe anything you read now-a-days.

But again, to me it sounds like Windows 9 is all about eye candy, Bing and cloud services, not sure it would be worth $120 or $200 for a Pro version. At the least, they should provide Media Center as part of the OS, as in Windows 7.
eaac286a-d372-4876-8c2a-7835c807d994.jpg
This is what I'm talking about. The legacy vista era icons mixed with the modern metro style.

Capture.PNG
Simply put, this is what has annoyed me with Windows 8 since the Developer Preview. The lack of attention to the obvious details. Microsoft once went on and on about all the little details "only God can see" but yet disregarded the details God and everyone else can see, which is the Desktop. It's still stuck in the year 2007 and hasn't changed since.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
There is more to Metro apps that just games by the way. Seeing the way this thread is going though I think I'll just bow out now.

Yes, sorry about that - (couldn't resist...:eek:)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    PC-DOS v1.0
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    IBM
    CPU
    Intel 8088, 4.77MHz
    Memory
    16K, 640K max
    Graphics Card(s)
    What's that?
    Sound Card
    Not quite
    Screen Resolution
    80 X 24 text
    Hard Drives
Hi there

For me I don't like that type of Menu -- I'd rather if I'm using a menu (which I don't these days unless it's from a custom toolbar) I'd prefer just the name with the small Icon at the left - I don't want the live tile bits shown on the right. Some metro apps (borderless and updating) which can be re-sized and moved anywhere on the screen would be fine -- some things like stock prices etc which would then on a click take me into my trading account for example would be fine or some real time travel info etc.

As for stuck in year 2007 -- It's actually MUCH older than that -- it in fact is nearly 20 YEARS OLD !!!! -- but like clothing fashions often re-appear long after the original you thought was dead and buried !!.

Cheers
jimbo

Attachments

• aol.png
    aol.png
    79.2 KB · Views: 135

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    SSD's * 3 (Samsung 840 series) 250 GB
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    PC-DOS v1.0
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    IBM
    CPU
    Intel 8088, 4.77MHz
    Memory
    16K, 640K max
    Graphics Card(s)
    What's that?
    Sound Card
    Not quite
    Screen Resolution
    80 X 24 text
    Hard Drives

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
Back