Windows RT's race to the bottom

The checkered flag is out and the race to the bottom for Windows RT manufacturers has entered the final laps. Dell -- for all intents and purposes the only Windows RT hardware manufacturer left standing, other than Microsoft -- just dropped the official price of its only Windows RT tablet by 33 percent. At almost the same time (when most of the tech world is watching Google I/O), Microsoft started giving away free Touch or Type covers with all new Surface RTs sold in most of Europe, effectively up to a 25 percent discount.

Source

A Guy

The people I worked with were research scientists, engineers and technicians working on leading edge technology, if there was a supporting technology that was useful, practical or applicable to assist/further the work being done, it would be used. The point is, we weren't bedazzled by the supporting technology, these were but tools to aid in achieving the prime objectives.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64
This is a long discussion but so far, I have not read anything that the hybrid can do that an android can't. Hybrid or android is a personal preference. To use it for work or not is still a personal preference. So, love your own. :D

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8 (64) : Win 7 (64) : Vista (64) : Android JB 4.2 : iOS 6
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Acer AX Series & HP i-5 2400s
    Screen Resolution
    Main PC - 2x Sony PS3 3D LED Displays + 1x 22" Philips; HTPC - 47" HDTV w/ 17" LCD secondary display
    Hard Drives
    Internal- 1TB on each system; 1x120GB SSD on main PC
    External (network attached)- 1x2TB Seagate backup; 1x1TB ext. storage; 1x500GB,
    Other Info
    http://tinyurl.com/br4uxrk

http://tinyurl.com/cwj93pj
The people I worked with were research scientists, engineers and technicians working on leading edge technology, if there was a supporting technology that was useful, practical or applicable to assist/further the work being done, it would be used. The point is, we weren't bedazzled by the supporting technology, these were but tools to aid in achieving the prime objectives.
Well, I wouldn't describe any of these tools as bedazzling. At best, they are incremental. Meaning, if you take my hybrid away from me, I'll just go back to my old setup and everything will be fine. It's not a life changing thing. Just has been a lot more convenient.

I can't remember the last time I had a life changing, bedazzling tool that changed everything.

This is a long discussion but so far, I have not read anything that the hybrid can do that an android can't. Hybrid or android is a personal preference. To use it for work or not is still a personal preference. So, love your own.

I know what you mean. I used the asus infinity for the longest time.

Here's the thing. Both iOS and android are buggy as hell. Yes, iOS crashes just as often as android, if not more. The difference is it doesn't display an error message, giving the user the illusion that nothing went wrong.

On the android side, asus infinity was and still is the best hybrid money can buy. I used it for almost a year for everything. For the most part, I was satisfied. What bothered me was there never was an app that adequately replaced MS office, something that I needed to use very often.

When I bought my first windows hybrid, it was an RT device. And holy cow, everything about it was just better than the infinity. I sold my infinity shortly after that. Shortly after, I traded my RT device in for a windows 8 hybrid. After trying out the samsung, asus vivotab, and hp envy x2, I decided to keep my x2 and sold the other 2. The satisfaction level is way higher than the infinity.

Just sayin'. MS has a good platform going here. They just need to nurture it to adulthood... assuming it will survive that long.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8
Well, I wouldn't describe any of these tools as bedazzling. At best, they are incremental. Meaning, if you take my hybrid away from me, I'll just go back to my old setup and everything will be fine. It's not a life changing thing. Just has been a lot more convenient.

I can't remember the last time I had a life changing, bedazzling tool that changed everything.

This is a long discussion but so far, I have not read anything that the hybrid can do that an android can't. Hybrid or android is a personal preference. To use it for work or not is still a personal preference. So, love your own.

I know what you mean. I used the asus infinity for the longest time.

Here's the thing. Both iOS and android are buggy as hell. Yes, iOS crashes just as often as android, if not more. The difference is it doesn't display an error message, giving the user the illusion that nothing went wrong.

On the android side, asus infinity was and still is the best hybrid money can buy. I used it for almost a year for everything. For the most part, I was satisfied. What bothered me was there never was an app that adequately replaced MS office, something that I needed to use very often.

When I bought my first windows hybrid, it was an RT device. And holy cow, everything about it was just better than the infinity. I sold my infinity shortly after that. Shortly after, I traded my RT device in for a windows 8 hybrid. After trying out the samsung, asus vivotab, and hp envy x2, I decided to keep my x2 and sold the other 2. The satisfaction level is way higher than the infinity.

Just sayin'. MS has a good platform going here. They just need to nurture it to adulthood... assuming it will survive that long.

I think we got everyone confused here. We are arguing about the usability of tablets/hybrids. But I think we should limit the argument to non-productivity tasks. Like in my case, I can never consider using hybrids for work purposes. The nature of my work is engineering. I do my designs in 3D and I need a workhorse machine with more than one monitor. All our files are in remote servers. I am in Toronto right now but our server is in New Jersey. And imagine how big the files I am working on.

So for me, I am using my tablet for passing the time and basic communication tasks. I don't need an MS OS for that. But personally, I like big machines... multiple monitors. I have a Vista laptop too, but right now, it's just paper weight at home.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8 (64) : Win 7 (64) : Vista (64) : Android JB 4.2 : iOS 6
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer AX Series & HP i-5 2400s
    Screen Resolution
    Main PC - 2x Sony PS3 3D LED Displays + 1x 22" Philips; HTPC - 47" HDTV w/ 17" LCD secondary display
    Hard Drives
    Internal- 1TB on each system; 1x120GB SSD on main PC
    External (network attached)- 1x2TB Seagate backup; 1x1TB ext. storage; 1x500GB,
    Other Info
    http://tinyurl.com/br4uxrk

http://tinyurl.com/cwj93pj
I understand. Had I gone that route I'd need a workhorse as well. But I'm in construction management and inspection. We leave the design to the guys back at the office. Someone's gotta go around making sure everything is done right. That's where guys like me come in.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8
Lol! I'm in between trying to make it look like the picture. :p

Different tools for different tasks no matter what we do. :)

BTW, I've been on job so big it took two guys to carry my plumb bob. :D

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Intel Pentium D Dual Core
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3000 - PCI Express x16
    Sound Card
    Integrated RealTek ALC888 high-definition audio with 7.1 channel audio support
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    350 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Desktop 7.2" (183mm) W x 17.5" (445mm) L x 14.5"
    Cooling