Windows Phone 8.1 now available on Windows Phone Preview..

Starting today, you can update your personal dev phone(s) to run Windows Phone 8.1 using the Windows Phone Preview for Developers program . Along with the tooling delivered in Visual Studio 2013 Update 2 RC, developers can now get everything they need to start building and testing Windows Phone apps and universal Windows apps. Even better, Windows Phone Store is also starting to accept app submissions and to enable app linking today – enabling you to bring the universal Windows app experience to your beta users and consumers.

To update your Windows Phone 8 device to 8.1, you will need to download the app and opt into the program (the process is outlined on the Windows Phone Dev Center); if your phone is already opted in, then all you should need to do is head over to your phone’s settings and check for an update.

Windows Phone Preview for Developers program

The Windows Phone Preview program, introduced last October, gives our developer community access to prerelease builds of Windows Phone updates before the operating system updates are made generally available to consumers. We make these updates available to you to enable on-device testing, and to enable you to build and test platform capabilities not present in the emulator.

WinPhone81_2D00_ss_5F00_594E8024.png

For the majority of developers, we know that it is critical for you to see your app running on a physical phone prior to submitting to the Store. For me, I try to use my app on a device for 3-4 days before submitting updates to the Store. My emulator-based testing typically is focused on functional testing (does the code work as designed), while my on-phone testing tells me more about the app’s real-world usability (e.g., touch target sizing, load times).

Beyond testing, there are a number of app scenarios that just can’t be done using the emulator alone. Most of these scenarios involve device sensors like Bluetooth, NFC, and the camera. But these also involve scenarios including app-to-app communication (when integrating with third-party apps that you need to install from the Store) or using phone capabilities like voice.

Participation requirements for the Windows Phone Preview program are the same as last fall. In order to opt your phone into the program, you must meet one of the following three criteria: (a) you’re a registered developer on the Windows Phone Dev Center, or (b) you’re a registered developer with Windows App Studio, or (c) your phone is developer unlocked (which anyone can do using the developer phone registration tool, which is included as part of the Windows Phone tooling). As mentioned above, check out the Windows Phone Preview Program for Developers pagefor full details. If you have any further questions or encounter an issue while updating your phone, we have a team of update experts monitoring the program’s support forums – ask a question in the forum, and someone should be able to help you out.

New reference app: MSDN Voice Search

MsdnVoiceSearch_2D00_ss_5F00_1435B2EE.png

Speaking of voice (see what I did there?), the MSDN team released a new reference app today – the MSDN Voice Search app– that demonstrates how to integrate your app into the new contextual voice capabilities available in Windows Phone 8.1.

The app itself is very simple and straight-forward, surfacing the vast MSDN documentation library to you from the Cortana experience. Once you have the app installed, ask ‘MSDN, what are universal Windows apps?’ while in Cortana and she’ll launch the MSDN Voice Search app and help you find an answer.

For more information on integrating your app into the Windows Phone speech and natural language experience, check out the Speech Dev Center and the recorded session from Build. Additionally, the MSDN Voice Search app team will be posting the source code for the app so that you can see how they made the magic happen.

Start your app engines!

With today’s release, you now have everything you need to get started building for Windows Phone 8.1: the tools are live, you can update your phone, and we have a ton of great Build session content availableto help you get started. If you haven’t already, I highly recommend you head over to the Download Center and install the new Visual Studio update tooling.

To help you cross the last mile getting your apps published to Windows Phone 8.1, the Store will be opening later today to link and publish your apps, and Windows is sponsoring over 60 //publish/ events hosted around the globe next month. The //publish/ events will be a great opportunity to be part of the global WPDev community, as well as get some last minute advice on your phone and universal Windows app(s). If you haven’t already registered for a local //publish/ event, check out the //publish/ website and find the one closest to you.

Source: Windows Phone 8.1 now available on Windows Phone Preview for Developers

See also: Give Windows Phone 8.1 a try via Windows Phone Preview for Developers

Last edited:
I performed the update, or I should say it took three different updates and considerable time to get this working and I had to sign up as a developer which they try to charge you for but I was able to obtain the activation code without paying for the developer fee.

It wouldn't let me authenticate with my phone for some reason but it worked on my PC.

I like the three row app update which works on the 520. I also noticed some improvements with touch sensitivity and a few other options were added like Data Sense.

No real issues to report yet.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro WMC
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Home built
    CPU
    Q9650 @ 4.05 GHz
    Motherboard
    Gforce 780i SLI FTW
    Memory
    8GB Gskill DDR2 1200Mhz
    Graphics Card(s)
    GTX-480
    Sound Card
    Asus D2 Xonar
    Monitor(s) Displays
    HannsG
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    Gskill 120GB SSD
    PSU
    Thermal Take 1000watts
    Case
    Thermal Take Xtreme
    Cooling
    9 fans air cooled
    Keyboard
    G15 logitech
    Mouse
    G9 logitech
    Internet Speed
    50mbps
Welcome to WP8.1, chev. :)

That's odd that you went through that much trouble, for I had none of that although I think I had to wait for approval. Do you have a TechNet or MSDN account? I continue to have a TechNet account, but no subscriptions. Perhaps the TechNet account is what it took for me? If so, it's going to be a bear for me when they shut TechNet down. :(

Things I've noticed new in 8.1 is a big change in IE. My favorites have been imported from my MS account, which is nice. Search is performed by Bing, but now via Cortana. Many more choices in Settings. I continue to have 3 rows of tiles on my 1520, but can now halve a full tile. I'm on my phone now and will post a screenshot when I get to my tower.

Continuing to discover daily. :)

Edit: After thinking about it, I'm not sure if I could've done this in WP8. Here's the screenshot anyway.

wp_ss_20140424_0001.png

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Intel Pentium D Dual Core
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3000 - PCI Express x16
    Sound Card
    Integrated RealTek ALC888 high-definition audio with 7.1 channel audio support
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    350 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Desktop 7.2" (183mm) W x 17.5" (445mm) L x 14.5"
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
    Office Pro 2013 / Nokia Lumia 1520 Windows Phone 8.1DP GDR1
Welcome to WP8.1, chev. :)

That's odd that you went through that much trouble, for I had none of that although I think I had to wait for approval. Do you have a TechNet or MSDN account? I continue to have a TechNet account, but no subscriptions. Perhaps the TechNet account is what it took for me? If so, it's going to be a bear for me when they shut TechNet down. :(

Things I've noticed new in 8.1 is a big change in IE. My favorites have been imported from my MS account, which is nice. Search is performed by Bing, but now via Cortana. Many more choices in Settings. I continue to have 3 rows of tiles on my 1520, but can now halve a full tile. I'm on my phone now and will post a screenshot when I get to my tower.

Continuing to discover daily. :)

Edit: After thinking about it, I'm not sure if I could've done this in WP8. Here's the screenshot anyway.

View attachment 42144
You now on 8.1 Preview? Yay! :dinesh:

IE 11 is a pretty big step up on 8.1 as it's almost quite literally like the modern IE app on Windows 8.1. It features tab sync between PC and Phone, live tile support, reading mode, and all sorts of other nice features.

Do go to Settings, start+theme, and set a picture background. Your mind will be blown.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    1 TB Seagate Barracuda (starting to hate Seagate)
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    Windows 8.1 is installed on a SanDisk Ultra Plus 256 GB
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Arctic Cooler with 3 heatpipes
    Keyboard
    Logitech K750 wireless solar powered keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, but I might go back on KIS 2014
You now on 8.1 Preview? Yay!

IE 11 is a pretty big step up on 8.1 as it's almost quite literally like the modern IE app on Windows 8.1. It features tab sync between PC and Phone, live tile support, reading mode, and all sorts of other nice features.

Do go to Settings, start+theme, and set a picture background. Your mind will be blown.

Not only IE, but the whole system is awesome! Cortana, IE upgraded with the things you mentioned, Action Center is useful > saves some tapping although I would like instant notifications to remain longer. Overall it is a much better system.

I did place a pic as home screen background as suggested. What a difference that makes! I wish all of the tiles were transparent, or at least flip once that way.

No update notice yet, whs? Have you been checking?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
    Office Pro 2013 / Nokia Lumia 1520 Windows Phone 8.1DP GDR1

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Cooling