Windows Media issues help!

Good thinking, Wynona. :thumb: I assumed she had "show all files" turned on and I didn't have the path quite right.

Windows key + E opens File Explorer as well.

Looks like you'll be in good hands with Wynona and XweAponX, Techwomen. I'll sign off on this one. Good luck to you.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Intel Pentium D Dual Core
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3000 - PCI Express x16
    Sound Card
    Integrated RealTek ALC888 high-definition audio with 7.1 channel audio support
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    350 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Desktop 7.2" (183mm) W x 17.5" (445mm) L x 14.5"
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
    Office Pro 2013 / Nokia Lumia 1520 Windows Phone 8.1DP GDR1
Good thinking, Wynona. :thumb: I assumed she had "show all files" turned on and I didn't have the path quite right.

Windows key + E opens File Explorer as well.

Looks like you'll be in good hands with Wynona and XweAponX, Techwomen. I'll sign off on this one. Good luck to you.

Oh, I'm learning along with Techwoman! There are just some things I've learned the hard way, and I can usually recognize the path I took to get to that knowledge. If someone doesn't know about AppData, it's a pretty sure thing they don't know about Folder options and "show all files".

At first, I left "show all files" turned off until I specifically needed it, but soon found that it takes a real effort to mess up there. So, with every new OS, I actually turn it on and leave it on. Now, if my daughter or one of the grand kids are here, self-preservation has me quickly turning it off. :eek:

One thing I've found disquieting is that when I set this new box up, a lot of the options that needed to be turned on with a prior OS were already on. I'm not sure whether MS already knows my likes and dislikes or if this might be a MS assumption that newbies are smarter than they used to be.

Cuz methinks it's a 50/50 chance that a new computer will be put into the hands of a newbie or senior citizen. That said, more and more senior citizens (me included) are pretty technically knowledgeable, rather than challenged.

And this isn't to take anything away from Techwoman . . . She's doing much better than I would be doing.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    HP Pavilion 500-056
    CPU
    AMD Elite Quad-Core A8-6500
    Memory
    8 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD Radeon HD 8570D
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer 23"
    Screen Resolution
    1920 X 1080
    Hard Drives
    1 TB
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wave K350
    Mouse
    Logitech M510
    Internet Speed
    Fast
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
Awe thanks, I will work on the above here is a bit I am in school so I have been having to work around that.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Microsoft Windows 8.1 64-bit 9600 Multiprocessor Free
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Hp Pavilllion 15-n230us
    CPU
    Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-4005U CPU @ 1.70GHz
    Motherboard
    Hewlett-Packard 2163
    Memory
    2 gigs
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel(R) HD Graphics Family
    Sound Card
    Realtek High Definition Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1. Moble Pc Display
    Screen Resolution
    1336X768 Recomended
    Hard Drives
    HGST HTS541075A9E680
    Cooling
    Coolsense version 2.2
    Keyboard
    Standard PS/2 Keyboard
    Mouse
    Synaptics PS/2 Port touchpad
    Internet Speed
    60MB
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    AVG
What do you mean in the below statement?

AVG is not sufficient to remove Sirefef leftovers, delete it, and download Eset NOD32.

Just that, it fails to isolate and remove any of the worst viruses. Sirefef will bypass AVG with no problem whatsoever.

The AppData folder is in your USER folder, but you cannot see it unless you change the USER folder's VIEW settings to show "Hidden and System files and folders" - It's in the VIEW tab of Explorer, just open "Change View Settings" - It's on the very right end of the toolbar.

Also, ESET offers a 7 day trial, and only one or 2 days would be required to remove the last vestiges of Sirefef.

Look, you got hit with Sirefef, and AVG won't cut it. I remove viruses as a living, I use a combination of ESET and Malwarebytes, but that's not enough, I know how to get in there and remove the leftovers manually. The leftovers will be in your Appdata/Local folder and sometimes in the other 2 folders too. There are three folders in there, i made a mistake with the name, here is what they look like:

appdata.png

Some other remnants will be in your Program Data folder too. Also, if you are on a 64 bit version of Windows 8, you will have both a Program Files and a Program Files (x86) folder. You have to go in there and look for Tarma Installer, and any other folders that look out of place, sometimes they will have Strange Names.

Sirefef adds a folder into Appdata/Local, it will be at the top of the list, a string of strange numbers, if yo open in, it will have two subfolders, hidden: an L folder and a U folder. You have to delete this, it contains Sirefef and can re-infect you before an AVG search is done running.

But don't worry, we'll check each of these folders one by one if we have to., Start with the Appdata/Local folder, see if there are any strange folders at the top - If they are empty, delete them, but we';re looking for those two hidden L and U folders. If you see any other folders with odd names, mixed up letters, post them and I;ll tell you if you have to delete them or not.

Then we'll do the same for your Program Files folder.

It would be a good idea as well to open Control Panel and show me all of your installed Programs, you may still have something in there.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro with Media Center/Windows 7
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Asus M2N-MX SE Plus § DualCore AMD Athlon 64 X2, 2300 MHz (11.5 x 200) 4400+ § Corsair Value Select
    CPU
    AMD 4400+/4200+
    Motherboard
    Asus M2N-MX SE Plus/Asus A8M2N-LA (NodusM)
    Memory
    2 GB/3GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    GeForce 8400 GS/GeForce 210
    Sound Card
    nVIDIA GT218 - High Definition Audio Controller
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Hitachi 40" LCD HDTV
    Screen Resolution
    "1842 x 1036"
    Hard Drives
    WDC WD50 00AAKS-007AA SCSI Disk Device
    ST1000DL 002-9TT153 SCSI Disk Device
    WDC WD3200AAJB-00J3A0 ATA Device
    WDC WD32 WD-WCAPZ2942630 USB Device
    WD My Book 1140 USB Device
    PSU
    Works 550w
    Case
    MSI "M-Box"
    Cooling
    Water Cooled
    Keyboard
    Dell Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Intellimouse
    Internet Speed
    Cable Medium Speed
    Browser
    Chrome/IE 10
    Antivirus
    Eset NOD32 6.x/Win Defend
    Other Info
    Recently lost my Windows 8 on my main PC, had to go back to Windows 7.
I remove viruses as a living, I use a combination of ESET and Malwarebytes, but that's not enough, I know how to get in there and remove the leftovers manually. The leftovers will be in your Appdata/Local folder and sometimes in the other 2 folders too. There are three folders in there, i made a mistake with the name, here is what they look like:

Wow! I knew there was something about you Xwe . . . :party:

Some years back, I gave an XP computer I no longer used to a friend who had a relic. She also had a grandson, about 10 years old, quite computer literate, etc. He was on the computer one day and a popup asked him to install a "security upgrade" or something like that. Well, you know the rest of the story . . .

Of course, since I'd given the computer to her, I was her primary support. I can't remember the name of the virus/malware, but I do remember being able to call Microsoft and getting free help from them, since it was a security problem. I do remember that the tech who helped me pulled the virus tentacles out of a number of folders in the computer. I wish I knew which department I called, but it's been too long ago. Does Microsoft still have this kind of support?

Also, Windows 7 users are able to ask for help from a "peer" who can log into the computer and possibly fix things. I learned how to do that while beta testing Windows 7; I'm wondering if Windows 8 has that feature.

I guess I'm just thinking out loud, since there's not a whole lot I can do to help.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    HP Pavilion 500-056
    CPU
    AMD Elite Quad-Core A8-6500
    Memory
    8 GB