Windows Media Center in Windows 8 will be paid upgrade

So it might come as little surprise that Microsoft will require users to pay extra for Media Center in Windows 8, according to Liliputing.

The exact cost hasn't been disclosed, but consumers should be aware that if they want the ability to set up DVRs from their computers or stream live TV through Windows, it's going to cost this time.

Source

A Guy

The guy who built my computer told me today that my DVD player already has a program installed that will play DVDs, .

Yes many DVD writers come with a software that play DVD, but I usually don't install them in my PCs. I don't like to install thing I don't need. I listen 2 or 3 times a year a DVD in my PC, usually something about my hobbies, I will find it an extra hassle to install something free or not when media player do the job. For sure I don't install anything from C-Net and Download.com and co.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 enterprise x64
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Pc-Quebec / Area 66
    CPU
    i7-3960X Extreme Edition
    Motherboard
    Rampage IV Extreme
    Memory
    Gskill 4x4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    4 x HD 7970
    Sound Card
    onboard
    Screen Resolution
    2560*1600
    Hard Drives
    C:\Intel series 520 SSD , 250 GB
    D:\ WD 750 black with Intel 40gb SSD cache Intel RST
    E:\ WD 2TB Black
    PSU
    Corsair AX 1200
    Case
    TT Mozart TX
    Cooling
    Water Cooled
    Keyboard
    Logitech G-15
    Other Info
    Windows 8 VM is install on his own SSD.
The guy who built my computer told me today that my DVD player already has a program installed that will play DVDs, and I don't need Windows Media Center. He suggested that I download the free version to either my XP or 7 OSes, both of which are running fine without it, just to play with it. I might do that while they're still free, but I see me need to.

Back in the XP days where WMP 9 lacked a lot of support for video as well as dvd playback I simply went with CyberLink's player. WMP 10 of course was better equipped and ruled out the need for the 3rd party player while still having tried out Media Player Classic a non MS player with similar name by the way.

The Media Center was introduced more for those with paid subscription services where you pump Direct tv, Satelite, Cable into your pc by way of a tuner card and watch through the Media Center. That was never intended for dvd playback or input from composite devices like vcrs, vhs camcorders patched in through a tuner card but paid services only.

Most digital cameras, camcorders, and digital recorders these days simply become a new drive when plugged into a usb port where you simply double click on a video file to start up a player for viewing. WMP would be the default player for dvd movie and vcd projects here which will be what would be effected while a second tuner card features it's own AVer Media Center separate of what is in Windows.

since that MC does the same thing as far as requiring a paid service I couldn't use for patching other things in for viewing from composite sources despite the composite input jacks. It always made the MC rather useless here when the need for a fully softwared capture/tuner card was needed to begin with. So that wouldn't be a loss for me either while it will hamper others who depend on it being there.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    1st W10 Professional x64/W7 Ultimate x64 - 2nd Remote system: W10 Insider Builds/W7 Professional
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom Builds
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II X4 975 Deneb 3.6ghz -2nd case AMD Atholon II 3.2ghz
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-790XTA-UD4
    Memory
    Kingston Hyper-X DDR3 1600mhz 16gb - 2nd case Kingston Hyper-X "Fury" DDR3 1600mhz 8gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    MSI Radeon HD 5750 1gb - 2nd AMD Radeon 6450
    Sound Card
    Creative Xtreme Gamer - 2nd case Realtek Onboard audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer 19" dual monitor setup - 2nd case HP 20" lcd
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900 same on both builds
    Hard Drives
    1st build
    WD Caviar Black Edition Sata II 1tb two OS drives
    WD RE "Heavy Duty Sata II 2tb two Storage/Backup
    2nd build
    WD Blue Sata II 500gb
    WD Black Edition Sata III 1tb
    WD Green Power Sata II 1tb in external usb enclosure
    PSU
    Corsair TX750H 750w -Corsair 500w
    Case
    Antec 900-2 -NXZT Vulcan Mini tower/carrying handle
    Cooling
    120mm front pair, 120 rear 200cm top - 120mm Front intake 200mm side cover
    Keyboard
    Azio Blue led back lit both builds.
    Mouse
    MSI DS200 11 button programmable Gaming optical mouse - Odessa 3 button dual scroll trackball
    Internet Speed
    30mbps
    Other Info
    two MSI 22x ide dvd burners, 25 usb flash drives used for Linux Live, live data recovery 128gb, and Windows 7, 10 usb installation keys
you're both making valid points, but for me it comes down to this:

I thought that Windows Media Player and Media Center were the same thing. I didn't know that my XP and 7 didn't include WMC. And I will use Win 8 with no problem without WMC. In other words, it doesn't affect me.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
The Media Center is seen in 7 as well as with Vista. You can see the icon right above the Accessories folder in the Start>All Programs in 7 along with others like IE. You have to go through the set up wizard where that will detect the incoming subscribed service however in order to use it. :rolleyes:

The Media Center was first seen with the XP edition by the same name or XP MCE for XP Media Center Edition. The Windows Media Player(MWP) however as you read in the Wikipedia reference back in Post #14 has been around in some form since the early Windows and now will have gone from a new still needing to be developed futher to ready for use to now stripped down player. MS is going backward with it at this point.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    1st W10 Professional x64/W7 Ultimate x64 - 2nd Remote system: W10 Insider Builds/W7 Professional
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom Builds
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II X4 975 Deneb 3.6ghz -2nd case AMD Atholon II 3.2ghz
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-790XTA-UD4
    Memory
    Kingston Hyper-X DDR3 1600mhz 16gb - 2nd case Kingston Hyper-X "Fury" DDR3 1600mhz 8gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    MSI Radeon HD 5750 1gb - 2nd AMD Radeon 6450
    Sound Card
    Creative Xtreme Gamer - 2nd case Realtek Onboard audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer 19" dual monitor setup - 2nd case HP 20" lcd
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900 same on both builds
    Hard Drives
    1st build
    WD Caviar Black Edition Sata II 1tb two OS drives
    WD RE "Heavy Duty Sata II 2tb two Storage/Backup
    2nd build
    WD Blue Sata II 500gb
    WD Black Edition Sata III 1tb
    WD Green Power Sata II 1tb in external usb enclosure
    PSU
    Corsair TX750H 750w -Corsair 500w
    Case
    Antec 900-2 -NXZT Vulcan Mini tower/carrying handle
    Cooling
    120mm front pair, 120 rear 200cm top - 120mm Front intake 200mm side cover
    Keyboard
    Azio Blue led back lit both builds.
    Mouse
    MSI DS200 11 button programmable Gaming optical mouse - Odessa 3 button dual scroll trackball
    Internet Speed
    30mbps
    Other Info
    two MSI 22x ide dvd burners, 25 usb flash drives used for Linux Live, live data recovery 128gb, and Windows 7, 10 usb installation keys
Back