Windows 'Blue' will leave Microsoft customers seeing red

Reflecting on my expectations for Microsoft's forthcoming Windows "Blue," I'm reminded of a favorite "Deep Thought" by Jack Handey, from "Saturday Night Live." In this passage, instead of taking his little nephew to Disneyland, Handey takes him to a burned-out warehouse and tells him Disneyland has burned down:
He cried and cried, but I think that deep down, he thought it was a pretty good joke.
Is Microsoft playing some kind of trick on us? Forgive the corniness, but the early scoop on Windows "Blue" has this tech analyst seeing red.

It's the customers, stupid
Why am I so indignant? I'm not going to say it; instead, I'll let a comment off Paul Thurrott's Windows Supersite about the new features do the talking. There, Grapemanca says:
But there's got to be much more than this, right? As a Desktop user who runs Win8 with Stardock's Start8 and ModernMix, I'm not sure I can see anything here that I'll even notice. We still can't boot directly to desktop. We still waste an amazing amount of space around the Modern [Metro] UI edges. We still can't see basic functions on a UI that is purportedly a graphic user interface. We still can't resize Modern apps to the dimensions that suit us. We're still forced to use a keyboard to maximize efficiency ... à la DOS. We still don't have a brand-new Windows that's maximized for the desktop. Talk about underwhelmed.​

We'll know soon enough if we're being led to Disneyland or a burned-out warehouse. If it's the latter, will it be too late to go back? If Microsoft really wants to show customers that it's listening, it needs to drop the secrecy immediately and spell out the changes it plans to make to address the complaints.
Otherwise, Microsoft risks making them so angry that by the time the company gives them what they want, they won't care anymore.

Windows 'Blue' will leave Microsoft customers seeing red | Microsoft Windows - InfoWorld

I wish we could read news about 8 improvements instead of the whining by a few trolls that clearly have the choice to use whatever os they want, instead of complaining directly to MS on their site.

No one cares. If you don't like it, leave! There is a 7 forum and MS site where trolls can whine in unison.

:roflmao:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
I wish we could read news about 8 improvements instead of the whining by a few trolls that clearly have the choice to use whatever os they want, instead of complaining directly to MS on their site.

No one cares. If you don't like it, leave! There is a 7 forum and MS site where trolls can whine in unison.

When are you going to start posting good news about Window 8?

That's not possible, there isn't any good news about Windows 8.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64

Maybe when I surpass forum post limit??

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    Tablet
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Microsoft Surface Pro 3, Dell Venue 8 Pro, i5 2500K overclocked PC
    CPU
    i5
    Memory
    4gb Surface Pro, 8gb PC
8 has been quite good news for Apple and Google so far.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
8 has been quite good news for Apple and Google so far.

Not so good when the market is about to be turned upside down. When useability and battery life are met with better expectations, don't count on that toy investment to become relevant much longer.

But, by all means... Go invest in them now!:thumbsup:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    Tablet
    Microsoft Surface Pro 3, Dell Venue 8 Pro, i5 2500K overclocked PC
    CPU
    i5
    Memory
    4gb Surface Pro, 8gb PC
If MS release product offerings the majority of customers want, then they should do well. That is pretty obvious.

Do you have a point?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop

We don't troll or whine at SevenForums.

In fact, there's very little 'anti-Win 8' sentiment there at all. Strangely, there seems to
be more people on EightForums that hate/dislike 8 than there are on SevenForums.

I'd have thought for sure it'd be the other way round. :huh:

Wenda.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 'Ultimate' RTM 64 bit (Pro/WMC).
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Acer AS8951G 'Desktop Replacement'.
    CPU
    i7-2670QM@2.2/3.1Ghz.
    Motherboard
    Acer
    Memory
    8GB@1366Mhz.
    Graphics Card(s)
    GeForce GT555M 2GB DDR3
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD w/Dolby 5.1 surround.
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Built-in. Non-touch.
    Screen Resolution
    18/4" 1920x1080 full-HD.
    Hard Drives
    Toshiba 750GBx2 internal. 1x2TB, 2x640GB, 1x500GB external.
    PSU
    Stock.
    Case
    Laptop.
    Cooling
    Stock.
    Keyboard
    Full 101-key
    Mouse
    USB cordless.
    Browser
    IE11, Firefox, Tor.
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, MalwareBytes Pro.
    Other Info
    BD-ROM drive.
EF is for discussing 8. Not surprising at all that many and varied views are expressed here.

Those who are looking for an appreciation society to reinforce their own bias/prejudice/personal quirks are in the wrong forum.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
The only people who I've come across that like the Windows 8 MPI are the few loyalists on this and other tech forums. I have not met one person in real life or on a non-tech forum that has a good word to say about Windows 8.
I've pointed this out before. Most people are indifferent about the change. I've never found a person in real life that either like or dislike the new UI.

And from my experience, when people don't like something they would call a press conference and be very loud to the world about their displease with whatever it is they don't like. So, sometimes the hand full who don't like something could give the illusion that that something is hugely unpopular.

PC sales have been hurting for a while now because of mobile devices. It's not windows 8 that's causing the drop in sales, although sensationalists love to play the blame game.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8
Handful? Must be a very powerful handful when even Microsoft acknowledges them.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64
It's not windows 8 that's causing the drop in sales

MS seem to think it is at least partly responsible, so do a lot of the oems - all of them in fact , I think., and a great many industry analysts. They are all wrong then, are they? It wouldn't be the first time.

I might add that most people I know are using Macs. They never pay any attention to anything to do with windows. The few who have windows laptops are not looking to replace them, as far as I know.

Obviously none of them care in the least about 8. If you insisted on showing it to them, they would be polite and feign a vague interest, I suppose, but they won't care really.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
It's not windows 8 that's causing the drop in sales

MS seem to think it is at least partly responsible, so do a lot of the oems - all of them in fact , I think., and a great many industry analysts. They are all wrong then, are they? It wouldn't be the first time.

I might add that most people I know are using Macs. They never pay any attention to anything to do with windows. The few who have windows laptops are not looking to replace them, as far as I know.

Obviously none of them care in the least about 8. If you insisted on showing it to them, they would be polite and feign a vague interest, I suppose, but they won't care really.
Yes, I think it is at least partly responsible. My response was to the notion that windows 8 is all to be blamed for the drop in sales. Considering the fact that pc sales was already way down long before windows 8 came out, the notion that windows 8 is to blame for all of it is ridiculous.

Here's what I think is going on.

Most people have always used computing devices for basic tasks like web browsing and email. Perhaps a little document editing here and there, but nothing major. Only a small percentage of us actually use computing devices for more than just content consumption.

So, when tablet devices came out, this was pretty much the answer to most people's prayers. They no longer have to lug around big heavy laptops if what they only want to do is consume for the most part. That's why PC sales took a nose dive when tablet devices like the ipad and android tablets were introduced. In fact, both the market and people's homes were saturated with iOS and android devices.

For example, the last time I visited my sister, I rounded up all her tablet devices and took a picture. She and her husband have 3 kids. Their ages are 3, 6, and 8. All 5 members of the family have an asus transformer infinity TF700T. The sister and her husband also each have a galaxy tab 2 as well as galaxy s3 phones. Look at picture below.

The devices you're seeing are this.

ASUS Transformer Pad Infinity Tablet, 64GB, TF700TC1GR - Best Buy

That's just the tablet part. Each keyboard docking station is about $150.

The kids have been doing all the school work with those tablet/notebook hybrids. Pretty cool, I think. But the point is people like my sister's family have already invested in the ultra light weight android hybrids that have an app for just about everything you can imagine. With the amount of money they've invested in those devices, do you honestly see them jump ship to windows 8 if they don't have to?

Everyone has a budget that they work with. When I say windows 8 is partially responsible, I don't mean there's something wrong with windows 8. In fact, I absolutely don't think there's anything wrong with windows 8 as it is. And most people are indifferent either way about the UI. The reason windows 8 is partially responsible for PC sales drop is because it came out too late. Most people have already spent their budget on android and iOS devices. They have already invested in those ecosystems. You can't ask them to just get up and switch ecosystems.

I think it's always been inevitable that as soon as something ultra light weight came along most laptop owners will jump ship simply because most people don't create. They are perfectly happy consuming for the most part.

So, all these arguments about a damn start button or menu is meaningless in the grand scheme of things. Most people simply don't care about the UI change. What they care about is their budget. And they've already spent all of it on android and iOS tablets. And their windows 7 PC's work just fine. Why upgrade?

My sister and her family is the typical American family. Husband is an engineer. She's a mathematician. The 3 boys play baseball, participate in boy scouts, and go to sleep overs. Their current setup is an i7 PC running windows 7 x64, an i7 laptop upstairs, 5 asus transformer infinities, 2 galaxy tabs for gps and ultra ultra light weight consumption devices, and android phones. Do you see anywhere in there that they can fit in windows 8 devices?

That's why last year I started saying windows 8 will fail not because it is lacking but because it's simply too late to the game. People are not going to just spend more money on something they already have.

Attachments

• 2013-05-14_16.20.08.jpg
    2013-05-14_16.20.08.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 148

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8

That's not possible, there isn't any good news about Windows 8.

Hence, why certain trolls like to stay here and trolololololololol......... Ugh.

WE GET IT ALREADY!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    1 TB Seagate Barracuda (starting to hate Seagate)
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    Windows 8.1 is installed on a SanDisk Ultra Plus 256 GB
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Arctic Cooler with 3 heatpipes
    Keyboard
    Logitech K750 wireless solar powered keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, but I might go back on KIS 2014
No, you don't get it, it's quite evident from your, and other's, repeated posts as to why everyone else's point of view is wrong.

My Computer

System One

• OS
Wow, how certain people seem to live under a rock...
Report: Touchscreen Notebook Shipments Increased by 51.8% in Q1 2013

The Desktop UI and desktop PC is a dead and dying breed. THIS IS A FACT. This isn't disputable. This isn't the year 2002 where the desktop is the mainstream center of everything. The world moved onto the mobile form factor. Look at laptop shipments, look at tablet shipments, look at Windows 8. The writing has been written on the wall forever and some just REFUSE to acknowledge its existence. Go ahead, you can deny Windows 8, but you can't deny the facts that the world isn't internet based or will forever and stay Desktop UI based anymore.

Also on a side note, it is utter selfishness for some to think THEY are for some reason self-entitled to Windows 8, but it being Windows 7 because it's "proper." Has no one realize how absurd it is for some people to demand that Microsoft listen to THEIR demands over everyone else's, for features that are there in a related Microsoft product, to have newer features from a product THEY don't like to be in the same fashion as the old? Guess what, you don't like the product, no one here, myself, or Microsoft is going to make you think otherwise. If you don't like the product, why complain about it when there is another that works perfectly fine? Maybe it's this entitlement to "newer features?" Maybe it's a self righteousness that for some reason propels certain people to be snotty brats about something THEY will never use, or will ever care about? I really don't know.

As someone else already posted, in the whole grand scheme of things, in the bigger picture, it bloody doesn't matter about a start menu or a Desktop UI interface. It bloody doesn't matter how much you can act out like a spoiled rotten little toddler, demands from some for keeping "tradition" doesn't matter. Tradition is tradition, it dies out for the new. That's what will happen. Don't like it? I don't care. Quite frankly, I highly doubt Microsoft cares if you're not even using the platform regularly.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
No, you don't get it, it's quite evident from your, and other's, repeated posts as to why everyone else's point of view is wrong.

And yours I'm assuming, is right ALL the time about everything?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
Goodintentions
the notion that windows 8 is to blame for all of it is ridiculous

I am not aware of anybody claiming that.

There are undoubtedly some who might have bought a cheap lappie a few years back to do basic stuff. Now they can do that on tablet/phone instead. Very unlikely to be a windows tablet/phone.

There isn't anybody disagreeing the pc market will not be as large as it once was.

The difficulty is that of those who would still have bought a laptop over the past several months - quite a number have not done so - because of 8.

Even MS acknowledge that.

MS are not selling many tablets or phones. They are trying to leverage their existing user base - those 300m or so who they expected would be buying a laptop type thing - into their online services, and hopefully encourage them to buy a matching tablet/phone. That is why Metro is there.

Perhaps these haswell things with lowered costs will save MS. Perhaps not.

If so, then there are 3 big players carving up the users online service riches between them.

If MS doesn't get a lifeline, that leaves an opening for everybody and his dog to try and get a piece of the action.

Google look to be doing well hoovering up the users at the moment - Samsung may have their own ideas about that - we shall see.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
Goodintentions
the notion that windows 8 is to blame for all of it is ridiculous

I am not aware of anybody claiming that.

There are undoubtedly some who might have bought a cheap lappie a few years back to do basic stuff. Now they can do that on tablet/phone instead. Very unlikely to be a windows tablet/phone.

There isn't anybody disagreeing the pc market will not be as large as it once was.

The difficulty is that of those who would still have bought a laptop over the past several months - quite a number have not done so - because of 8.

Even MS acknowledge that.

Perhaps these haswell things with lowered costs will save MS. Perhaps not.

If so, then there are 3 big players carving up the users online service riches between them.

If MS doesn't get a lifeline, that leaves an opening for everybody and his dog to try and get a piece of the action.

Google look to be doing well hoovering up the users at the moment - Samsung may have their own ideas about that - we shall see.
So I'm guessing you're another analyst with another opinion that Windows 8 is the sole cause of lower PC shipments, even though touch laptop PC shipments accounted for 10 percent of those in a span of six months?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
Cokie
Windows 8 is the sole cause of lower PC shipments