Windows Blue upgrade would be offered for free for current

Windows Blue upgrade would be offered for free for current Windows 8 users

Win8China, a major source of leaks about Windows Blue reports that Windows Blue would be offered as a free upgrade for current Windows 8 users but, you will need to have an activated legal version of Windows 8 to upgrade. Same was reported earlier by The Verge where it was suggested that Microsoft may offer Windows Blue for free.

Source

A Guy

Just look at that TV series Continuum -- the computers in that are TINY but project their images anywhere and "I want one too".

They have some nice Sci-Fi gadgets in that show.
One thing that is extremely credible in "Continuum", is the Corporations usurping the Government. :(

It will be interesting to see how long it runs for, since the protagonist is basically an enemy of democracy/humanity (worse than the terrorists).

Haha.. we may disagree on the PC, but i'm in complete agreement over Continuum. Love that show.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 on the desktop, Windows 8 Surface Pro mobile
I really do think what you're going to be seeing is a shedding of the OEM's. There was a time that you could sell a knockoff 'Windows Machine' and the no-name OEM could go hide in the corner raking in the profits. Everything is going Branding now, and everyone is expecting over-the-top well-made Design when it comes to mobile products. Simply Average kills your sales. The only company to really survive being an OEM is Samsung, and that took completely ripping off Apple's iPhone wholesale. .

Those cheapo corps aren't always a good thing.
Two years ago one of the the companies I do tech support at bought a bunch of Computers from TigerDirect, which were from a company that just prebuilt them using off the shelf parts. The power supplies on three failed, and now we can't use the warranty we paid for because the computers "don't exist in their system".

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    Laptop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Asus Tansformer Book Flip TP500LN
    CPU
    Intel i5-4210U
    Memory
    8GB DDR3 SDRAM
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia Geforce GT 840M
    Monitor(s) Displays
    15" Touchscreen
    Screen Resolution
    1366 x 768
    Hard Drives
    1TB Hybrid
    Mouse
    Microsoft Wireless Mobile Mouse 4000
Maybe the new OS will be called "Big Blue" when RTM'd. Might be fitting.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win7 Ult on DIY; Win8 Pro on MBP/Parallels; Win7 Ult on MBP/Boot Camp; Win7 Ult/Win8 Pro on HP
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    DIY Rig; MacBook Pro (MBP)/Parallels/Boot Camp; HP Pavilion dv6500t Laptop
    CPU
    Intel i7-2600K (sometimes OC'd to 4.8 GHz)
    Motherboard
    ASUS P8P67 Deluxe Rev B3
    Memory
    16 GB Corsair Vengeance
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA 570 SC
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Gateway
    Hard Drives
    Dual Boot:
    Win7 Ult RAID 0 on OCZ Revo x2 and
    Win7 Ult RAID 0 on Caviar Black SATA 3's
    PSU
    Cooler Master Silent Pro 1000W
    Case
    Cooler Master 932 HAF
    Cooling
    Zalman CNPS9900MAX-B CPU Fan
    Keyboard
    Logitech Cordless Desktop MX 5500
    Mouse
    Logitech Cordless Desktop MX 5500
    Internet Speed
    20 Mbps Download/2+ Mbps Upload
    Other Info
    Pioneer Blu-ray Burner/DVD Burner
My Position

Haha.. we may disagree on the PC, ...

Since you only joined a few days ago, you are probably unaware of my position on W8, which I stated several times during the previews (DP, CP, RP & Ent).

1. Metro is awful.
  2. The actual Windows "bits" are OK.
Specifically the:

• Reduced resource demand
  • Operating speed
  • Improved security
  • Hyper-V program (although I use VMware)

... but i'm in complete agreement over Continuum. Love that show.

I don't love it (it's OK so far). :)

I feel obligated to support Sci-Fi shows, since they often get "canned" because of low ratings.
Sci-Fi shows often require many episodes to set up the scenarios and characters.
A lot of Sci-Fi shows were" just getting started", when they were "canned". :(

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (64 bit), Linux Mint 18.3 MATE (64 bit)
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    n/a
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II x6 1055T, 2.8 GHz
    Motherboard
    ASRock 880GMH-LE/USB3
    Memory
    8GB DDR3 1333 G-Skill Ares F3-1333C9D-8GAO (4GB x 2)
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD6450
    Sound Card
    Realtek?
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung S23B350
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Western Digital 1.5 TB (SATA), Western Digital 2 TB (SATA), Western Digital 3 TB (SATA)
    Case
    Tower
    Mouse
    Wired Optical
    Other Info
    Linux Mint 16 MATE (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 17 MATE (64 bit) - 2014-05-17
    Linux Mint 14 MATE (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 16 MATE (64 bit) - 2013-11-13
    Ubuntu 10.04 (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 14 MATE (64 bit) - 2013-01-14
    RAM & Graphics Card Upgraded - 2013-01-13
    Monitor Upgraded - 2012-04-20
    System Upgraded - 2011-05-21, 2010-07-14
    HDD Upgraded - 2010-08-11, 2011-08-24,
Count me in among the Continuum fans. Love that show, it's intelligent, easy to follow, nice.

Luckily for us fans of the C, it is a Showcase production primarily for the Canadian market, and it was well received there and renewed on the basis of that. It doesn't depend on the syfy knee-jerkers.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1 + Windows 8.1 Pro with WMC x86
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Asus N73SV
    CPU
    i7 2630QM
    Motherboard
    HM 65
    Memory
    6 GB DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel HD 3000 & Nvidia GT 540M
    Sound Card
    Intel HD Audio ALC269
    Monitor(s) Displays
    LED backlight flat panel
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1080
    Hard Drives
    2 x Seagate Momentus 640 GB 5400 rpm
I feel obligated to support Sci-Fi shows, since they often get "canned" because of low ratings.
Sci-Fi shows often require many episodes to set up the scenarios and characters.

Well.. this is from Canadian TV.. so as long as a couple of Moose tune in.. it gets renewed :>.

I actually watch it off Amazon for $1.99 per so i can get the Widescreen ratio. Figured i'd toss them a couple bucks and not have to watch double boxing off the cable.

My Computer

System One

• OS
I really do think what you're going to be seeing is a shedding of the OEM's. There was a time that you could sell a knockoff 'Windows Machine' and the no-name OEM could go hide in the corner raking in the profits. Everything is going Branding now, and everyone is expecting over-the-top well-made Design when it comes to mobile products. Simply Average kills your sales. The only company to really survive being an OEM is Samsung, and that took completely ripping off Apple's iPhone wholesale. .

Those cheapo corps aren't always a good thing.

Two years ago one of the the companies I do tech support at bought a bunch of Computers from TigerDirect, which were from a company that just prebuilt them using off the shelf parts. The power supplies on three failed, and now we can't use the warranty we paid for because the computers "don't exist in their system".

Yup.. probably not even decent off-the-shelf parts either. Some dude's sister soldering them together in the back haha. Most of my PC's have been off-the-shelf comps and never had much problem.

My Computer

System One

• OS
Does anyone know when Blue is supposed to be released. I thought it was supposed to be released this month. But I do not see any service pack 1 or anything in my updates. Just a bunch of security updates.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
    NP540U3C-A01UB
    CPU
    Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3317U CPU @ 1.70GHz, 1701 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(S)
    Motherboard
    Samsung
    Memory
    DDR3 4GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel HD Graphics 4000
Does anyone know when Blue is supposed to be released. I thought it was supposed to be released this month. But I do not see any service pack 1 or anything in my updates. Just a bunch of security updates.
I'm betting later this fall, like in October or September. The speculation is that the Blue wave of updates will hit ALL of Microsoft's shores a year after they initially relaunched. The Bing apps and such will be updated first before Windows 8, then Windows Phone, then Outlook then Bing and so on and so forth.

A developer milestone preview of Windows 8 Blue might be this summer though.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    1 TB Seagate Barracuda (starting to hate Seagate)
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    Windows 8.1 is installed on a SanDisk Ultra Plus 256 GB
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Arctic Cooler with 3 heatpipes
    Keyboard
    Logitech K750 wireless solar powered keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, but I might go back on KIS 2014
Haha.. we may disagree on the PC, ...

Since you only joined a few days ago, you are probably unaware of my position on W8, which I stated several times during the previews (DP, CP, RP & Ent).

1. Metro is awful.
  2. The actual Windows "bits" are OK.
Specifically the:

• Reduced resource demand
  • Operating speed
  • Improved security
  • Hyper-V program (although I use VMware)

... but i'm in complete agreement over Continuum. Love that show.

I don't love it (it's OK so far). :)

Do you feel that obligation with Windows 8.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro/Windows 8 Pro/Windows 7 64 Bit64Bit/Windows XP
I think that ...

I think that ~12 months of testing was long enough.

I ran all of the free previews for W8.
I didn't "feel the love" (especially since W8CP & W8RP couldn't even manage to install my sound driver properly).
W8 Enterprise wasn't too bad, however I installed Classic Shell in that preview.
I'm not planning to reward MS for building an OS I don't like (the same reason I didn't swap from XP to Vista).

I might run W8 (in the future) if they decide that people can use it for free (like Linux distros).

Compared to W7, W8 just didn't cut it.

I ran several W7 betas (b7048, b7077 & b7100).
All of my hardware and 3rd party software worked with each version.
The only problem I had was WMP12 (b7048) damaging 25% of my mp3 collection (I haven't used WMP12 since).
I started using W7 as my main OS, once I installed build 7077 and I haven't regretted it.

It's the same with TV shows.
If I don't "feeling the love" after 6 - 8 episodes, I'll only keep watching if there isn't something better on.

Unfortunately for W8; W7, LM14 and XP all count as "something better on".

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    n/a
    CPU
    Motherboard
    ASRock 880GMH-LE/USB3
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD6450
    Sound Card
    Realtek?
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung S23B350
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Western Digital 1.5 TB (SATA), Western Digital 2 TB (SATA), Western Digital 3 TB (SATA)
    Case
    Tower
    Mouse
    Wired Optical
    Other Info
    Linux Mint 16 MATE (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 17 MATE (64 bit) - 2014-05-17
    Linux Mint 14 MATE (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 16 MATE (64 bit) - 2013-11-13
Hi there
I'm surprised at Hardware problems with W8 -- I've found W8 will run things that W7 wouldn't (although XP did) such as a built in dual card reader on a Sony VAIO -- the dual SD and Sony Pro Duo sticks -- W7 got the SD part to work but could never get the Sony duo stick half of the reader to get recognized.

W8 on first boot recognized BOTH -- I could tell at once since the dual leds started flashing at boot and indeed the Pro duo stick was recognized. --I don't use the Pro Duo stick any more --for external cards etc I use the same as I use in a camera and a phone now -- Micro SD cards and use an SD==>micro sd adapter if I want to read them cards on my current laptop.

(The old sony reader WAS recognized by an XP VM believe it or not and of course Native XP).

If you like W7 and it suits you then just go on using it - however a bit of a bugbear is the apparently reported statement by Ms that they aren't going to release SP2 so if you have to do a clean install there are a LOT of updates to download unless you use some way of creating a W7 install system with the updates manually slipstreamed into it. There's some posts on the W7 forum on how to do that.

My take is that W8 isn't that hard to use even for typical work scenarios -- it only requires a TIDDLY change on how you work - most of the posts here seem to think it's almost like having to learn Windows again from scratch --and then some. It really is a TIDDLY change.

The OS is very slick --especially when run from an SSD, re-installing is a breeze and the security is STREETS ahead of W7. It's the first time I think even some really Linuxcentric magazines have even MENTIONED Windows as having adequate security -- from Linux users that's praise indeed. Normally these mags will try and rubbish "The Evil Empire" at every opportunity.

Consider what you like about W7 compared with W8. Note on a spreadsheet the points and then go through them ONE BY ONE and see if there is any way of making W8 work the same way.

The only difference you'll find in the end is the Menu which you can either add a 3rd party app or if you can manage without the menu see if making one or more custom toolbars on your desktop which very reasonably approximate to "sub menus".

The only difference at start up is you see the W8 start screen -- well if you just start ANY desktop application it will start in Windowed mode and automatically launch the desktop. (ONE keystroke / click)

On W7 to start an application you would have to click the start on the menu then the application ( two keystrokes / mouse clicks and maybe a mouse scroll as well) or click an application on the Desktop or quick launch taskbar one key stroke / mous click).

To create desktop short cuts is easy - I've posted on the forum often enough - but again just right mouse click on the application from the w8 taskbar -- open file location then right mouse click again and then send to desktop.

You never need to use the Metro stuff.

If you want to start certain applications etc at start up or run scripts -- these work exactly as they did in W7.

There are a nice lot of Keyboard short cuts with Windows 8 such as the Windows + X key which brings up a little menu of useful system functions and the search facility is fine.

The only things I can see that you *might* miss are gadgets (loads of people never liked or used these) or Aero Glass which I didn't like myself either.

So what's so hard about any of that.

A Kindergarten kid could pick this up in 5 mins. !!!

However I DO agree with you on one thing -- I'm NOT paying for updates or a windows subscription model. At that point I'll switch to Linux and run Windows legacy systems as VM's.

As for damaging your MP3 collection -- IMO that's your own fault as you should ALWAYS have backup both of your OS and data you value. Damage or loss either intentionally or accidentally could happen any time -- for example the Hardware gets broken, you accidentally delete files or even someone STEALS your gear. If you haven't got restorable data that's YOUR OWN FAULT -- it onlt takes a few hours to copy nearly 1TB of data to a small external USB self powered passport disk and then just lock it up somewhere.

Cheers
jimbo

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    SSD's * 3 (Samsung 840 series) 250 GB
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)
What i've always found facinating and never understood is the whole App Store thing. Is that something that appeals primarily to women with their tendencies to shop? And things they call Games I tend to by and large call gimmick programs. Calling them games tends to be very generous. Level after level of doing some stupid gimmick with the touchscreen.

I was like.. you want Free?

Jesus, the PC has full-blown games that took years to develop that are free, well-made, and if your kid happens to hit the wrong keys on your ipad they don't end up costing you hundreds or thousands of dollars. Just install Path of Exile or something. Go get Steam and knock yourself out. But App Store Games? They need to get a lot better, and my understanding is this isn't just an epidemic of Win 8, but par for the course for App Stores.

The PC has been the preemminent place for cutting edge gaming for a good long time and just seeing some of this stuff would make Baby Jesus Cry. I mean, there are games for the NES or SNES that, while the graphics were far more rudimentary... provided a far better gaming experience. Hell, i used to play games on the TI-99/4A back in the 80's that were more involved and fun.

My Computer

System One

• OS
Hi there
What is it with these "App stores". Just avoid them like the plague. You don't need to use them. and they aren't integral to W8 in any way at all. Windows applications and games can be installed by the "usual methods".

If your kids also are costing you a lot of money by hitting the wrong keys on an iPad -- it doesn't say much for "The Fruit companies" security -- or even your own procedures. Sorry to be blunt here - but sometimes people just don't seem to take enough responsibility over what their kids do -- and if you can't understand how the Internet on that device works you should perhaps block their access to the Internet with the Ipad until you know how they are using it and explain to them that certain stuff COSTS MONEY.

Cheers
jimbo

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    SSD's * 3 (Samsung 840 series) 250 GB
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)

I think that ~12 months of testing was long enough.

I ran all of the free previews for W8.
I didn't "feel the love" (especially since W8CP & W8RP couldn't even manage to install my sound driver properly).
W8 Enterprise wasn't too bad, however I installed Classic Shell in that preview.
I'm not planning to reward MS for building an OS I don't like (the same reason I didn't swap from XP to Vista).

I might run W8 (in the future) if they decide that people can use it for free (like Linux distros).

Compared to W7, W8 just didn't cut it.

I ran several W7 betas (b7048, b7077 & b7100).
All of my hardware and 3rd party software worked with each version.
The only problem I had was WMP12 (b7048) damaging 25% of my mp3 collection (I haven't used WMP12 since).
I started using W7 as my main OS, once I installed build 7077 and I haven't regretted it.

It's the same with TV shows.
If I don't "feeling the love" after 6 - 8 episodes, I'll only keep watching if there isn't something better on.

Unfortunately for W8; W7, LM14 and XP all count as "something better on".
I was only kidding really, use whatever you want. I've been using computers since the mid 80s, I can't say I've ever seen a programme destroy a file unless the PC froze while it was doing something.

I think the driver situation was pretty good on Windows 8, installed on 4 PCs and never had any dramas, except a display driver issue when updated. I rolled it back and it's been fine ever since even after updating again.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro/Windows 8 Pro/Windows 7 64 Bit64Bit/Windows XP
Hi there
What is it with these "App stores". Just avoid them like the plague. You don't need to use them. and they aren't integral to W8 in any way at all. Windows applications and games can be installed by the "usual methods".

If your kids also are costing you a lot of money by hitting the wrong keys on an iPad -- it doesn't say much for "The Fruit companies" security -- or even your own procedures. Sorry to be blunt here - but sometimes people just don't seem to take enough responsibility over what their kids do -- and if you can't understand how the Internet on that device works you should perhaps block their access to the Internet with the Ipad until you know how they are using it and explain to them that certain stuff COSTS MONEY.

Cheers
jimbo

Lol.. way to hijack my rant there Jimbo :>.

And the reference to the iPad was simply due to the horror stories that float around, I wouldn't touch one with a ten foot pole. That such stuff can even happen though, just goes to show you the evil of corporations like Apple.Nothing in any app is worth that much money.

My Computer

System One

• OS
As for damaging your MP3 collection -- IMO that's your own fault as you should ALWAYS have backup both of your OS and data you value. Damage or loss either intentionally or accidentally could happen any time -- for example the Hardware gets broken, you accidentally delete files or even someone STEALS your gear. If you haven't got restorable data that's YOUR OWN FAULT -- it onlt takes a few hours to copy nearly 1TB of data to a small external USB self powered passport disk and then just lock it up somewhere.

I did have a backup.
I've actually got ~5TB of backups dating back to mid 2009. ;)

I've never been able to understand why W7 is so good and WMP12 is so awful.

I don't expect that software as simple (well understood?) as a media player should be able to ignore "Read-only" file attributes and its own option settings. :mad:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    n/a
    CPU
    Motherboard
    ASRock 880GMH-LE/USB3
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD6450
    Sound Card
    Realtek?
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung S23B350
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Case
    Tower
    Mouse
    Wired Optical
    Other Info
Back