Windows Blue shows why Microsoft may turn Windows into....

[h=1]Windows Blue shows why Microsoft may turn Windows into a subscription service[/h]
Windows Blue is likely to be available for free, but elements of it show that eventuall, Microsoft may turn Windows into an annual subscription service in the same way it's doing with Office.
By all indications, Windows Blue will contain far more significant features than a typical Windows service pack. It may bring back the Start button, include a boot-to-Desktop option, and will include features that make it simpler to use for those without touchscreens. Windows Division Chief Financial office, Tami Reller, said in a blog:

Windows Blue shows why Microsoft may turn Windows into a subscription service | Computerworld Blogs

The start button is an intelligent way to access programs that are used often enough, but not sufficiently to warrant placement on the taskbar and provides a quick access mode that doesn't clutter the taskbar. It's an access methodology that doesn't require you to leave the desktop for a full screen mobile phone interface to access such programs. It's especially useful on smaller screen devices where the taskbar doesn't allow numerous icons, especially if you use the right hand side of the taskbar for information.

It was in fact quite unnecessary for Microsoft to remove that feature aka fix something that wasn't broken. It's clear that many people feel this way, considering how many third party programs, to return the start button, have been downloaded/purchased. Why is it so difficult to understand that many people are annoyed at Microsoft for 'fixing' things when they didn't ask for it?

Finally, don't believe for a moment that Microsoft won't/can't make a fundamental errors in judgement, they have done so in the past and are not immune from doing so in the present/future.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64
Finally, don't believe for a moment that Microsoft won't/can't make a fundamental errors in judgement, they have done so in the past and are not immune from doing so in the present/future.

Maybe error of judging come from no listen to all many, many beta test souls. They no listen!!!!!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Viewing through Windows 7, me like-a-discuss 8 though
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Make-A-Meself
    CPU
    Electrons flow to, through and out of it
    Motherboard
    It has a wire, very small, many many
    Memory
    It remember
    Graphics Card(s)
    It make video
    Browser
    Firefox show me good view
    Antivirus
    Kaspersky make-a-the-bad-go-away
Well, they charge a yearly subscription for XboxLive and it doesn't seem like the entire world went with the PS3 for free services. If the price is right, I'm doubting a lot of people wouldn't just stay with Windows.

Windows, when legally licensed on all computers, can get quite expensive. A reasonable subscription model allowing handfuls of machines might well be worth the cost of admission. Not to mention, the added benefit of keeping up with the newest versions without having to pay a big cost up front. Only time will tell.

I think you are sort of on the right trail with your XboxLive ~ PS3 comparison. If people like something these days (last 30 yrs especially) they will pay the price. $150 gym shoes, $125 Nike shirt, $80 dropdown baggy pants, $300 sunglasses and a $600 purse for mom to carry the receipts home in. While they use the house forclosure notices for heating the home.

If people want it, they will pay for it. Despite how much they feel betrayed by a missing start button and rotten All apps screen.
People don't like change and the majority of Windows users couldn't handle a drastic change to another program.
I tried running Ubuntu once on a new hdd to avoid buying XP. I didn't save my money for long.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    i7-3770K
    Motherboard
    ASRock Z77 Extreme4
    Memory
    16 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    17" 24"
    Hard Drives
    1 TB WD
    PSU
    550w
The start button is an intelligent way to access programs that are used often enough, but not sufficiently to warrant placement on the taskbar and provides a quick access mode that doesn't clutter the taskbar. It's an access methodology that doesn't require you to leave the desktop for a full screen mobile phone interface to access such programs. It's especially useful on smaller screen devices where the taskbar doesn't allow numerous icons, especially if you use the right hand side of the taskbar for information.

It was in fact quite unnecessary for Microsoft to remove that feature aka fix something that wasn't broken. It's clear that many people feel this way, considering how many third party programs, to return the start button, have been downloaded/purchased. Why is it so difficult to understand that many people are annoyed at Microsoft for 'fixing' things when they didn't ask for it?

All I was saying there are applications to fix the start button issue. As I said they make mistakes but the mistake of a subscription OS is even to big of a mistake for even them.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64 Bit
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Sager NP2740
    CPU
    Intel Core i7 4702HQ 2.2 GHz
    Motherboard
    W740SU
    Memory
    8 GB 1600 MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Iris Pro 5200
    Sound Card
    High Defenition Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    IPS Display
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Samsung SSD 840 EVO 250 GB mSATA
    Internet Speed
    60 Mbps cable, NETGEAR Night Hawk AC1900
    Browser
    Firefox 38.0.5
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender & Malwarebytes Pro
I think the only thing that often locks people into Windows are the programs, not the OS. I would probably be running Linux full time if all my Windows programs had compatible versions, but many simply do not exist. However, for many people that isn't a problem, they don't need the programs that I use and can easily make do with what Linux offers.

Apple is another option and, if they took a different approach towards their system/s, could find themselves on the ascent. Imagine offering OSX to OEMs once again? What have they got to lose? Then there is Chrome OS, a dark horse that should not be under-estimated in the least. In fact, Chrome OS could be the ultimate challenger to Microsoft's crown.

While Microsoft alienates and buries it's traditional userbase, it opens the door to a whole new group of challengers.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64
All I was saying there are applications to fix the start button issue. As I said they make mistakes but the mistake of a subscription OS is even to big of a mistake for even them.

Everyone here who criticises the removal of the start button is well aware of the third party options and most likely uses one or the other. But that's not the point. The point is that it should not have been removed entirely, without any option of retaining the familiar, if one chose to do so.

Don't believe for one moment that Microsoft wouldn't/couldn't consider a subscription model for the OS. Often these rumours are spread by companies themselves, much like governments do with potential policy changes, they go kite flying to gauge public response. If the response isn't overly negative, it's taken as meaning this is something that could be pursued in earnest. But if the response if very negative, then it's something to forget entirely.

The point is, don't dismiss anything out of hand.

My Computer

System One

• OS
I like no start button. I have this :orb: on my taskbar and it takes me to start screen with a few regular program tiles.
"Start" Screen Shortcut - Create in Windows 8

Most of the time I use this :winkey: for going to All apps instead because the tiles are smaller and alphabetical order. Type one or two letters for programs I don't use often.
Which is much faster than
"All Apps" Shortcut - Create in Windows 8

Creating these 3 toolbars also keeps one from leaving the desktop so often. Credit to Brink.

%ProgramData%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu

%ProgramData%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs

%ProgramData%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Windows Accessories

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    i7-3770K
    Motherboard
    ASRock Z77 Extreme4
    Memory
    16 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    17" 24"
    Hard Drives
    1 TB WD
    PSU
    550w
Then there is Chrome OS, a dark horse that should not be under-estimated in the least. In fact, Chrome OS could be the ultimate challenger to Microsoft's crown.

As the web continues to get more advance, internet speed improves and they get more support I think it is possible. I know two things really holding them back is they do not support all plugins, it would be nice to see the Unity Web Engine come to chrome OS, And they need more mid level computers, right now they offer really low end hardware and high end but nothing in the middle.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64 Bit
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Sager NP2740
    CPU
    Intel Core i7 4702HQ 2.2 GHz
    Motherboard
    W740SU
    Memory
    8 GB 1600 MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Iris Pro 5200
    Sound Card
    High Defenition Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    IPS Display
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Samsung SSD 840 EVO 250 GB mSATA
    Internet Speed
    60 Mbps cable, NETGEAR Night Hawk AC1900
    Browser
    Firefox 38.0.5
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender & Malwarebytes Pro
Chrome OS is a joke. What wants to use a $200-$1200 web browser? Ha ha. Ridiculous. Yep, that is going to work great on the bus or plane isn't it? Lol.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro
    Dell
    Screen Resolution
    1280x800
    Other Info
    Surface RT
Internet speeds I think are pretty much a dead issue for what most people want or need, other than those who have to download every TV show and movie on the planet. Yes, there are those who still have very poor service, but that's rapidly changing. And when you look at the growth of mobile internet, it seems that people are doing quite well with what is already available. And that's what Chrome OS is targeting.

Mobile internet I think is the future, people do not want to be tied to a fixed line, but to be able to move about and use multiple devices wherever they go. I think Microsoft realises this and is why they are trying to bring together the fixed and mobile OS, but I also think that in doing so, they have thrown the baby out with the bath water. The desktop and the mobile can co-exist in a world where the internet is accessed wirelessly.

My Computer

System One

• OS
Hi there
I can't really see Chrome OS replacing a DESKTOP OS. Often you aren't (or even don't WANT to be ) connected to the Internet all the time - or even in some cases AT ALL. However you still want to run your desktop applications. The Chrome OS is fine for people who are quite happy in using "Cloud Cuckoo Land" type of services or for casual surfers, e-mailers and "farcebook" type of thingy's. The Chromebook is itself fine for that type of use -- a lot of people these days don't really need a traditional PC anyway.

However it's going to be a long long time - if ever - before fast internet is available planet wide -- even today in a lot of major world class top cities the Internet can be infuriatingly slow -- and as the providers succumb more and more to "Corporate Greed" the costs will rise significantly --so your free Wifi hotspots will become chargeable - often quite expensive too -- ever seen some of the rates they charge in some of the "better class" hotels - often as much as 5 USD AN HOUR -- whereas down the road you can stay in a cheap motel for 25 USD A NIGHT with FREE Wi-Fi --although that wifi will be as slow as molasses.

Remember also there are still very large areas of the world that don't have any sort of Mobile service or Internet yet (and that's not due to being 3rd world countries etc --simply a case of Geography in a lot of cases).

If I want to work on some photos with Photoshop on a laptop I really don't want or need to be connected to the internet until I have to email the pictures somewhere. Service continuity while probably OK can't often be guaranteed -- for example often in parts of California the when it rains significantly you get quite a lot of power outages too. So if you had to rely on the Internet it's not always the reliability of the service providers that is a problem but local unrelated conditions too can cause unpredictable loss of service. Same in Oklahoma / Texas etc during the "Tornado" season.

Cheers
jimbo

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    SSD's * 3 (Samsung 840 series) 250 GB
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)
Chrome OS is a joke. What wants to use a $200-$1200 web browser? Ha ha. Ridiculous. Yep, that is going to work great on the bus or plane isn't it? Lol.

You obviously have no idea what the Chrome OS is about.

My Computer

System One

• OS

You obviously have no idea what the Chrome OS is about.

I surely do. But whatever. I have no interest in your theories about what I know about.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro
    Dell
    Screen Resolution
    1280x800
    Other Info
    Surface RT
Hi there
There's nothing wrong with the Chromebook - provided you know what is IS --essentially a cloud based service and suits your purposes. However where you get a price of 1200 dollars from I haven't a clue - the chromebooks I've seen cost around 250 dollars.

(I have no interest in this type of device either BTW).

As far as planes are concerned -- Horror of Horrors --some airlines are toying with the idea of allowing mobiles on the flight -- Look out in the papers when a large angry Icelander gets arrested coming off a flight from London / Manchester to Los Angeles after he's bashed his seatmate to pulp for using his mobile every 5 minutes during the long 10 hr flight.

Cheers
jimbo

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    SSD's * 3 (Samsung 840 series) 250 GB
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)
What's Microsoft's biggest threat? Google.

My Computer

System One

• OS
So what is good about Chromebook?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    i7-3770K
    Motherboard
    ASRock Z77 Extreme4
    Memory
    16 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    17" 24"
    Hard Drives
    1 TB WD
    PSU
    550w
I apologize Ray, I was responding to Jumbo. Strangely most has appeared before his, but I posted after him. Weird.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro
    Dell
    Screen Resolution
    1280x800
    Other Info
    Surface RT
So what is good about Chromebook?

For some, it provides everything they need when it comes to a PC, not just facebook and the like, but also word processing etc. Google is rapidly expanding on the 'services' available to Chrome OS, such that for many people, there is (or will be) no need for Office or the like. Chrome OS is effectively and extension of what's available on people's mobile phones, but in an expanded format. This is a serious threat to Microsoft.

My Computer

System One

• OS
Back