Windows Blue hides 4K display support, tons of new feature

For all the controversy surrounding Windows 8, it's a solid OS under the hood. And based on a list of API clues discovered by a former Nokia and Silverlight developer, it should only get better with the Windows Blue update.

Based on an extensive examination of the software APIs found within Windows Blue (now offically called Windows 8.1 by Microsoft), developer Justin Angel compiled a lengthy list of more than 25 features that he says will be included in the updated OS: the possibility of ultra-HD "4K" screen support, lock-screen calls, HDR photo support, better multi-screen formatting, and much more.

Source

A Guy

Supported 4k displays would not have to be touch screens. A Guy

True, but it would be MUCH worthwhile. :D

Because honestly, when you use touch, your eyes will be closer to the screen and more likely to notice DPI and pixels than with a mouse.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    1 TB Seagate Barracuda (starting to hate Seagate)
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    Windows 8.1 is installed on a SanDisk Ultra Plus 256 GB
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Arctic Cooler with 3 heatpipes
    Keyboard
    Logitech K750 wireless solar powered keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, but I might go back on KIS 2014
@Coke Robot: Seriously, the last place I'd want touch, or a 50/50 or 25/75 split-screen, is when I'm using Photo-Shop. ;)

Two monitors would be nice, though. :D;)

Wenda.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 'Ultimate' RTM 64 bit (Pro/WMC).
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Acer AS8951G 'Desktop Replacement'.
    CPU
    i7-2670QM@2.2/3.1Ghz.
    Motherboard
    Acer
    Memory
    8GB@1366Mhz.
    Graphics Card(s)
    GeForce GT555M 2GB DDR3
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD w/Dolby 5.1 surround.
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Built-in. Non-touch.
    Screen Resolution
    18/4" 1920x1080 full-HD.
    Hard Drives
    Toshiba 750GBx2 internal. 1x2TB, 2x640GB, 1x500GB external.
    PSU
    Stock.
    Case
    Laptop.
    Cooling
    Stock.
    Keyboard
    Full 101-key
    Mouse
    USB cordless.
    Browser
    IE11, Firefox, Tor.
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, MalwareBytes Pro.
    Other Info
    BD-ROM drive.
@Coke Robot: Seriously, the last place I'd want touch, or a 50/50 or 25/75 split-screen, is when I'm using Photo-Shop. ;)

Two monitors would be nice, though. :D;)

Wenda.

I rarely ever use Photoshop windowed, it's always maximized to immerse my person. I will switch around to Photo Viewer and File Explorer to see the finalized edits or things I need to add or work on. The thing about me is, I cannot draw with a mouse. I've ALWAYS hated it. For example with AutoCAD, I will have to use a drawing done by hand and pencil to do that into AutoCAD. I can't really visualize something looking at a screen for some reason. So for me, being able to cut out the step of hand drafting and just do that action onto a touchscreen (keep in mind the way I use touch on a desktop is like using a drawing easel, titled down horizontally not vertically, that is lunacy) is fantastic.

I would love something like a rumored feature that was to be on the new Xbox. It was like something of immersion gaming, but it uses a projector or some such to basically "expand" the TV screen during game play, so it's more immersive. I'd like that, but with Windows, so I could theoretically grab a window, throw it off the screen (but it will be projected off screen and viewable) and when I need it, grab it back. By the way, the new hand gestures on the new Kinect are so freaking cool! I want an Xbox PC now! :p

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
I rarely ever use Photoshop windowed, it's always maximized to immerse my person. I will switch around to Photo Viewer and File Explorer to see the finalized edits or things I need to add or work on. The thing about me is, I cannot draw with a mouse. I've ALWAYS hated it. For example with AutoCAD, I will have to use a drawing done by hand and pencil to do that into AutoCAD. I can't really visualize something looking at a screen for some reason. So for me, being able to cut out the step of hand drafting and just do that action onto a touchscreen (keep in mind the way I use touch on a desktop is like using a drawing easel, titled down horizontally not vertically, that is lunacy) is fantastic.

I would love something like a rumored feature that was to be on the new Xbox. It was like something of immersion gaming, but it uses a projector or some such to basically "expand" the TV screen during game play, so it's more immersive. I'd like that, but with Windows, so I could theoretically grab a window, throw it off the screen (but it will be projected off screen and viewable) and when I need it, grab it back. By the way, the new hand gestures on the new Kinect are so freaking cool! I want an Xbox PC now! :p

Sounds like you'd get on with the Wacom CintiQ (if you've got deep pockets). I'm not sure what they're like in reality as I've never used one, but I admit they do look interesting.

2D:
Enrique Fernández Speed Paint with CintiQ 24 HD Touch - YouTube
Johnny Depp - Digital Painting with Cintiq 21 UX Wacom - YouTube

3D:
Wacom Cintiq 24HD Touch demo of CATIA Natural Sketch at the Dassault Systèmes 3DExperience Forum - YouTube

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8 64-bit

Sounds like you'd get on with the Wacom CintiQ (if you've got deep pockets). I'm not sure what they're like in reality as I've never used one, but I admit they do look interesting.

2D:

3D:
Wacom Cintiq 24HD Touch demo of CATIA Natural Sketch at the Dassault Systèmes 3DExperience Forum - YouTube

That is IF I had deep pockets, my GOD, I'm sorry but three grand for a touchscreen primarily built for Photoshop interaction is too steep for me. I'm more into a 27 inch touchscreen, bezeless as possible, tilts like a Wacom screen, pressure sensitive (of course), IPS panel, at least at 1080p if not higher resolution.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus

2D:

3D:

Thanks for posting those, Arc. :thumb:

Absolutely amazing tech!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Intel Pentium D Dual Core
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3000 - PCI Express x16
    Sound Card
    Integrated RealTek ALC888 high-definition audio with 7.1 channel audio support
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    350 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Desktop 7.2" (183mm) W x 17.5" (445mm) L x 14.5"
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
    Office Pro 2013 / Nokia Lumia 1520 Windows Phone 8.1DP GDR1
I'd like to see two options added to the "Turn Windows Features On and Off", Metro & Classic Start Menu. I can't see it ever happening but one can dream a bit.

Hi there
In Windows 2012 Server you have to "Enable" Desktop Experience to get the metro screen (although why you would want that sort of screen on a SERVER is beyond me completely). So as the code has a lot in common with Windows 8 I doubt if it's a serious problem for Ms to provide this option in W8 too. - It would have to be slightly altered as Windows 2012 server without the "Desktop experience" only has a grey background and you can't install any desktop themes. (Not important for a server anyway --unless you want to "convert" the server to run as a desktop OS which some people seem to like doing).

Cheers
jimbo

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    SSD's * 3 (Samsung 840 series) 250 GB