Windows 9

The rumor mill as now posted on several sites that Windows 9 is now going to be coming out in November 2014.

Don't kill the messenger. . .please. . .:thumbsup:

I don't see this upgrade pattern to be a new thing for Windows or being like apple, maybe like apple though but a touch.

See, if it weren't for vista crapping things up with Windows, this would had already be the norm, except there wouldn't be a .5 style update like with Blue. The pattern that emerged back in the late '90s early 2000s was 98 being released, then 2000 in the year 2000. xp came after 2001 by one year. Then vista was slated for October 2003, two years after xp. xp was intended as a stopgap measure to update 2000's UI to the Luna interface and improve digital media management among other things. vista was supposed to include the Libraries feature of 7 and a TON of media features, but that fell off a cliff for many years and later ended up with a glassy Windows xp with bloated, incomplete code that required pretty much installing Windows 7 to fix.

Basically, we're behind a few versions here. But instead of releasing a GENUINELY new version of Windows every year and then a complete new one every two, Microsoft seems to be going the correct route of doing a Windows 8.5 style update to improve a few UI things and features, THEN have 9 be released to be a new version. Maybe NT Kernel 7 built on MinWin technology?!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    1 TB Seagate Barracuda (starting to hate Seagate)
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    Windows 8.1 is installed on a SanDisk Ultra Plus 256 GB
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Arctic Cooler with 3 heatpipes
    Keyboard
    Logitech K750 wireless solar powered keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, but I might go back on KIS 2014
I don't see this upgrade pattern to be a new thing for Windows or being like apple, maybe like apple though but a touch.

See, if it weren't for vista crapping things up with Windows, this would had already be the norm, except there wouldn't be a .5 style update like with Blue. The pattern that emerged back in the late '90s early 2000s was 98 being released, then 2000 in the year 2000. xp came after 2001 by one year. Then vista was slated for October 2003, two years after xp. xp was intended as a stopgap measure to update 2000's UI to the Luna interface and improve digital media management among other things. vista was supposed to include the Libraries feature of 7 and a TON of media features, but that fell off a cliff for many years and later ended up with a glassy Windows xp with bloated, incomplete code that required pretty much installing Windows 7 to fix.

Basically, we're behind a few versions here. But instead of releasing a GENUINELY new version of Windows every year and then a complete new one every two, Microsoft seems to be going the correct route of doing a Windows 8.5 style update to improve a few UI things and features, THEN have 9 be released to be a new version. Maybe NT Kernel 7 built on MinWin technology?!

What you're trying to get across is when it comes to Windows you basically have the 'new' version which deviates from the expected norms with new stuff and then the 'fixed' version which takes anything that didn't work with the 'new'.. pitches it.. fixes anything if needbe.. and keeps all the other new stuff that people liked, but didn't know they liked until they were able to wait a requisite amount of time such that they could like it. That then 'stabilizes' the OS and the majority upgrades.

Oh.. and we always have hobos that jump off the train and simply pitch a tent in the middle of an OS and squat there until hell freezes over. You have your 'i'll never leave XP!' and your 'i'll never leave Windows 7!' folks.

Just the way it goes :>. Hey.. at least we have a formula to it. We're just in the middle of the 'new' op sys.

Btw... I'd rather they call it Windows 8.1 for old times sake :>

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 on the desktop, Windows 8 Surface Pro mobile

What you're trying to get across is when it comes to Windows you basically have the 'new' version which deviates from the expected norms with new stuff and then the 'fixed' version which takes anything that didn't work with the 'new'.. pitches it.. fixes anything if needbe.. and keeps all the other new stuff that people liked, but didn't know they liked until they were able to wait a requisite amount of time such that they could like it. That then 'stabilizes' the OS and the majority upgrades.

Oh.. and we always have hobos that jump off the train and simply pitch a tent in the middle of an OS and squat there until hell freezes over. You have your 'i'll never leave XP!' and your 'i'll never leave Windows 7!' folks.

Just the way it goes :>. Hey.. at least we have a formula to it. We're just in the middle of the 'new' op sys.

Btw... I'd rather they call it Windows 8.1 for old times sake :>

Yeah, that's kind of what I'm getting across. Windows 98 did the same thing almost actually with 98 Second Edition, or more like a Service Pack on steroids. The Blue wave sounds like it might be based off Windows Phone how with 7, it came out almost all the way done, but not feature complete. It was ok, but then a year later, 7.5 was released that added a claimed 500 new features and changes to the platform; all free to the user. Then there's 7.8, but that's a different story.

Uuuuggghhh, those people that claim stake to their OS's like it's their lifeblood.... But 8.1 would be interesting, for old time's sake, if this were old times which it is not. :geek:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
I'm interested in the performance optimizations. Will they work on my system, or is it mostly for Windows RT?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Asus Tansformer Book Flip TP500LN
    CPU
    Intel i5-4210U
    Memory
    8GB DDR3 SDRAM
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia Geforce GT 840M
    Monitor(s) Displays
    15" Touchscreen
    Screen Resolution
    1366 x 768
    Hard Drives
    1TB Hybrid
    Mouse
    Microsoft Wireless Mobile Mouse 4000
I would assume it would be for both RT and x86. Why wouldn't it be?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
Here's a piece of one blog where the author caught someone mentioning Win 9 and IE 11 in their MS resume'? Microsoft mention Windows 9 in a job ad for a Bing Software Development Engineer

This one is interesting. Here’s what it says:

We utilize cutting edge technologies across the stack from Bing metro application development using WinJS and HTML5, innovative features in IE10 such as flip ahead and much more! The team will be constantly delivering great products in areas including Windows 9, IE11 services integration, touch friendly devices including iPad and more. Our talented, customer-focused, team delivers these features through rapid cycles of experimentation and customer feedback to bring the best ideas to market.

You can read it here.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    1st W10 Professional x64/W7 Ultimate x64 - 2nd Remote system: W10 Insider Builds/W7 Professional
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom Builds
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II X4 975 Deneb 3.6ghz -2nd case AMD Atholon II 3.2ghz
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-790XTA-UD4
    Memory
    Kingston Hyper-X DDR3 1600mhz 16gb - 2nd case Kingston Hyper-X "Fury" DDR3 1600mhz 8gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    MSI Radeon HD 5750 1gb - 2nd AMD Radeon 6450
    Sound Card
    Creative Xtreme Gamer - 2nd case Realtek Onboard audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer 19" dual monitor setup - 2nd case HP 20" lcd
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900 same on both builds
    Hard Drives
    1st build
    WD Caviar Black Edition Sata II 1tb two OS drives
    WD RE "Heavy Duty Sata II 2tb two Storage/Backup
    2nd build
    WD Blue Sata II 500gb
    WD Black Edition Sata III 1tb
    WD Green Power Sata II 1tb in external usb enclosure
    PSU
    Corsair TX750H 750w -Corsair 500w
    Case
    Antec 900-2 -NXZT Vulcan Mini tower/carrying handle
    Cooling
    120mm front pair, 120 rear 200cm top - 120mm Front intake 200mm side cover
    Keyboard
    Azio Blue led back lit both builds.
    Mouse
    MSI DS200 11 button programmable Gaming optical mouse - Odessa 3 button dual scroll trackball
    Internet Speed
    30mbps
    Other Info
    two MSI 22x ide dvd burners, 25 usb flash drives used for Linux Live, live data recovery 128gb, and Windows 7, 10 usb installation keys
M$ will maybe kill off the Desktop completely:

Click

:)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows-10-Pro-Build-11099.rs1-x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom-Build
    CPU
    Intel Core i7 3770k @4800MHz
    Motherboard
    Asus P8Z77-V
    Memory
    G.Skill 16G(4*4G) DDR3-2400 Quad Channel [TDX] F3-2400C10Q-16GTX
    Graphics Card(s)
    2x Gigabyte GTX980-Ti-OC-STRIX-6GB in 2-Way-SLI (1408MHz | Boost: 1544MHz | Memory-Clock: 8000MHz)
    Sound Card
    OnBoard Realtek® ALC892 8-Channel High Definition Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Asus VE278Q 27" Wide Led Black Full HD 2ms | Dell S2409W 24" 5ms
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    - Intel 520S 240GB/SATA3/R 550MBs,W 520MBs/25nm/3.5"Kit/5yr
    - Samsung 840 EVO SATA3 500GB
    - Seagate Barracuda SATA3 1TB 7200RPM 64mb Cache
    - Seagate Barracuda SATA3 1TB 7200RPM 64mb Cache
    - Seagate Constellation SATA3 3TB 7200RPM 64mb Cache
    -
    PSU
    Corsair AX1200i
    Case
    Thermaltake Level-10 GT LCS
    Cooling
    EK H3O HFX 240mm Liquid Cooling Kit + 2x EK-480-Rads + GPU-Blocks + Gelid Extreme
    Keyboard
    Roccat Isku | Logitech G13 | XBox 360 Controller wired | Logitech Dual Action GamePad
    Mouse
    Roccat Pure Military Dessert Strike | Shogun Bros. Ballista MK-1 | Cyborg R.A.T. 7 Infection
    Internet Speed
    ADSL2+ ~15MBit/s DL | ~1MBit/s UL
    Browser
    Google Chrome
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    - Logitech Extreme 3D Pro Joystick
    - Plantronics GameCom Commander Headset
    - Logitech X-210 Speakers
    - Roccat Taito Mid-Size 5mm
    - PC-Master-Race MousePad (yellow)

Al lot of what Microsoft can do is remove legacy code and port more of the OS to the Modern UI environment. Which only really works on RT devices.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    Laptop
    CPU
    Intel i5-4210U
    Memory
    8GB DDR3 SDRAM
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia Geforce GT 840M
    Monitor(s) Displays
    15" Touchscreen
    Screen Resolution
    1366 x 768
    Hard Drives
    1TB Hybrid
    Mouse

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
I'd love to see a more modernization of Windows through and through. More MinWin, more RICH metro design (parts of Windows 8 makes me think of modernist design over metro design, two separate but similar designs) and better app management. That, along with more apps being brought over from Desktop counterparts that are through and through a whole functional app. I don't care to see a lite version of Excel or Word or anything like that. Do it like VLC Player developers are doing, make a full WinRT app of the whole Desktop version.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus

Al lot of what Microsoft can do is remove legacy code and port more of the OS to the Modern UI environment. Which only really works on RT devices.

What most people really don't understand is that Apps are not meant to be Applications. They're basically there to provide services. Here, I will do something for you. They have very severe limitations.

The first is that while the Walled Garden is great for security, it means that everything you want an App to do, must be performed out of the App. Apps have a very hard time intercommunicating like Applications without simply saving everything so it can be reopened somewhere else.

The second is that they're designed to only be running when you see them. How do you pause an App? Shift it to the background, it does it automatically(my understanding is it does this to optimize battery usage on mobile devices by auto-suspending that which you aren't currently using). This makes certain things like having it do intense calculations in the background while you shift to another app, not feasible. But then, thats not what its designed for.

The layman seems to think that everything can be made an app.. and really.. thats not true at all. For certain things, you really need the full-blown application, if it can't be reformated to fit the requirements of the app environment. In short, Apps are great if what you do has a lot of short-bursts of unnoticeable calculation, and spends most of its time waiting on input so that getting shifted to the background is seemless.

My Computer

System One

• OS
#32 Thanks chrisa for easy explanation of how apps work/ don't work.
When I furst got 8 I changed the metro IE to always open on desktop. A few days later I read about metro IE being safer for banking, online shopping etc. so I changed it back. Also read how to control it without confusion.
So I feel that having 2 versions of IE is a definite plus.
Thanks again for explaining why it is safer. (no malware)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    i7-3770K
    Motherboard
    ASRock Z77 Extreme4
    Memory
    16 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    17" 24"
    Hard Drives
    1 TB WD
    PSU
    550w
Sure, if you don't want desktop apps.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    Laptop
    CPU
    Intel i5-4210U
    Memory
    8GB DDR3 SDRAM
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia Geforce GT 840M
    Monitor(s) Displays
    15" Touchscreen
    Screen Resolution
    1366 x 768
    Hard Drives
    1TB Hybrid
    Mouse
It could be true, ...

It could be true, If MS do all of the testing necessary to eliminate the possibility of backdoors and other malware functions.

Testing costs money and therefore eats away at profits.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (64 bit), Linux Mint 18.3 MATE (64 bit)
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    n/a
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II x6 1055T, 2.8 GHz
    Motherboard
    ASRock 880GMH-LE/USB3
    Memory
    8GB DDR3 1333 G-Skill Ares F3-1333C9D-8GAO (4GB x 2)
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD6450
    Sound Card
    Realtek?
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung S23B350
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Western Digital 1.5 TB (SATA), Western Digital 2 TB (SATA), Western Digital 3 TB (SATA)
    Case
    Tower
    Mouse
    Wired Optical
    Other Info
    Linux Mint 16 MATE (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 17 MATE (64 bit) - 2014-05-17
    Linux Mint 14 MATE (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 16 MATE (64 bit) - 2013-11-13
    Ubuntu 10.04 (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 14 MATE (64 bit) - 2013-01-14
    RAM & Graphics Card Upgraded - 2013-01-13
    Monitor Upgraded - 2012-04-20
    System Upgraded - 2011-05-21, 2010-07-14
    HDD Upgraded - 2010-08-11, 2011-08-24,

It could be true, If MS do all of the testing necessary to eliminate the possibility of backdoors and other malware functions.

Testing costs money and therefore eats away at profits.

Thats funny.. as security experts regard OS X as one of the weakest systems for bugs and exploits on the market today, and Windows 8 as one of the strongest.

My Computer

System One

• OS
I'd love to see a more modernization of Windows through and through. More MinWin, more RICH metro design (parts of Windows 8 makes me think of modernist design over metro design, two separate but similar designs) and better app management. That, along with more apps being brought over from Desktop counterparts that are through and through a whole functional app. I don't care to see a lite version of Excel or Word or anything like that. Do it like VLC Player developers are doing, make a full WinRT app of the whole Desktop version.

Modernization as far as seeing an updated desktop gui would be the direction MS needs to work in. 8 was a quick slap in the face with the RT gui designed specifically for the tablet platform. These are two totally different areas to begin with. The ModernMix while being a 3rd party app shows a good example of how the Metro apps fail as far as the desktop platform is concern not allowing a "windowed" option to anything. Afterall the OS wasn't named "Windows" for no reason at all!

Now take a pic of the 3.1 desktop and slap a task bar on it along with ModernMix and that's roughly what the 8 desktop looks like disregarding the improvements of everything else to get the basic idea of what 8 is missing when having stripped so much out! Ignoring the 3.1 File menu button which dropped down the "Exit" option to return to Dos you would only have what is pinned to the tack bar in plain view. Where is everything?

Well the popup for the Start screen is not seen until you... The Crawler tool bar is where now? The hidden right click menu is an unknown for everyone at first sight. And then how the hect do you exit Windows without any power options button at least like you would see on a Linux distro found. Well you can "bring up the Start screen and right click on the profile pic" or "you can find the Crawler tool bar if you just happen to move the cursor over the right spot on one side..." blah blah blah awkward!

If you are going to make a major change to the desktop OS you first need to remain on the desktop platform to come up with a new desktop gui that is functional considering the point and click factor while still developing something with touch and swipe capability not simply slap tablet touch on desktop and call it a day! You want the changes adaptable for everyone not just a few OS geeks who like new things regardless of setting back the average newbie!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    1st W10 Professional x64/W7 Ultimate x64 - 2nd Remote system: W10 Insider Builds/W7 Professional
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom Builds
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II X4 975 Deneb 3.6ghz -2nd case AMD Atholon II 3.2ghz
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-790XTA-UD4
    Memory
    Kingston Hyper-X DDR3 1600mhz 16gb - 2nd case Kingston Hyper-X "Fury" DDR3 1600mhz 8gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    MSI Radeon HD 5750 1gb - 2nd AMD Radeon 6450
    Sound Card
    Creative Xtreme Gamer - 2nd case Realtek Onboard audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer 19" dual monitor setup - 2nd case HP 20" lcd
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900 same on both builds
    Hard Drives
    1st build
    WD Caviar Black Edition Sata II 1tb two OS drives
    WD RE "Heavy Duty Sata II 2tb two Storage/Backup
    2nd build
    WD Blue Sata II 500gb
    WD Black Edition Sata III 1tb
    WD Green Power Sata II 1tb in external usb enclosure
    PSU
    Corsair TX750H 750w -Corsair 500w
    Case
    Antec 900-2 -NXZT Vulcan Mini tower/carrying handle
    Cooling
    120mm front pair, 120 rear 200cm top - 120mm Front intake 200mm side cover
    Keyboard
    Azio Blue led back lit both builds.
    Mouse
    MSI DS200 11 button programmable Gaming optical mouse - Odessa 3 button dual scroll trackball
    Internet Speed
    30mbps
    Other Info
    two MSI 22x ide dvd burners, 25 usb flash drives used for Linux Live, live data recovery 128gb, and Windows 7, 10 usb installation keys
It must say something when things like this pop up in the interwebs:

work-happens-113.jpg

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64
OS X?

Thats funny.. as security experts regard OS X as one of the weakest systems for bugs and exploits on the market today, and Windows 8 as one of the strongest.

Who said anything about OS X?
I was specifically referring to the "Windows App Store".

Maybe you should have said iTunes.
https://secunia.com/vulnerability-review/

Even if what you posted is true, that doesn't invalidate, "Testing costs money and therefore eats away at profits."

It just means that Apple have less justification for vulnerabilities, than MS.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (64 bit), Linux Mint 18.3 MATE (64 bit)
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    n/a
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II x6 1055T, 2.8 GHz
    Motherboard
    ASRock 880GMH-LE/USB3
    Memory
    8GB DDR3 1333 G-Skill Ares F3-1333C9D-8GAO (4GB x 2)
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD6450
    Sound Card
    Realtek?
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung S23B350
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Western Digital 1.5 TB (SATA), Western Digital 2 TB (SATA), Western Digital 3 TB (SATA)
    Case
    Tower
    Mouse
    Wired Optical
    Other Info
    Linux Mint 16 MATE (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 17 MATE (64 bit) - 2014-05-17
    Linux Mint 14 MATE (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 16 MATE (64 bit) - 2013-11-13
    Ubuntu 10.04 (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 14 MATE (64 bit) - 2013-01-14
    RAM & Graphics Card Upgraded - 2013-01-13
    Monitor Upgraded - 2012-04-20
    System Upgraded - 2011-05-21, 2010-07-14
    HDD Upgraded - 2010-08-11, 2011-08-24,
It is funny how I started this thread to be about the up and coming Win 9 in 2014, and now it has turned into "you either love win 8, or totally hate win 8."

I was hoping for some thoughtful and insightful ideas as to what we just might see in Win 9 in two years time. . .silly me. . .:roflmao:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8, (VM win7, XP, Vista)
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    HP Pavilion p1423w
    CPU
    Intel Core i5 3330 Ivy Bridge
    Motherboard
    Foxconn - 2ADA Ivy Brige