windows 8 vs 7 comparisons

im planning to install the new os windows 8
before i do that i just want to know if

can you give me some pros and cons of windows 8 vs 7?
what at the changes between 7 and 8?
is it lighter to use in pc (takes less memory usage, cpu)?
is it user friendly easy to use?

pls give me some tips and advices

ps: if maybe can you post me some their bench marks
I wouldn't go back to 7 after using 8 and 8.1 for a while. I initially disliked 8 and I know that a lot of people have that "change is bad!" mentality, but I used the Windows 8 preview for a couple of weeks and wasn't taken with it. However, after buying 8 and using it on my desktop machine for a couple of weeks, it suddenly clicked with me and now I really like it.

Here's the pros of 8/8.1, based on what I actually care about and use: -

8/8.1 Pros: -

Faster startup and shutdown. My PC starts up in a few seconds and literally shuts down in 1 second. It uses a hybrid shut down by default, which is kinda of a mix of a regular shut down and sleep mode, plus the boot up process has been optimised. The difference is noticeable.

Increased security. Windows Defender is baked into the system and doesn't seem to have much impact on performance. There have also been some other tweaks to security to tighten it up.

Metro apps and live tiles. I know a lot of people don't like this stuff, but to me it's easy to ignore if you don't want to use it. Even though I'm running 8.1 and could boot to the desktop, I don't, because I have live tiles that show me calendar events, the weather forecast etc. and I see those as soon as my PC is turned on, before I get into the desktop where I spend 90+% of my time. It's also handy if you have a Windows 8/8.1 tablet or laptop, as you can log into those with your MS account and use all of your Metro apps. Some apps have notifications, which can be really handy, say, if you're a big eBay user as you can set it to pop up a notification when an item sells, when someone has paid etc.

Better syncing across devices. You can use SkyDrive to sync all kinds of things, including your apps, start screen layout, passwords, other PC settings etc.

SkyDrive is baked into the system on 8.1. I think this could still be improved and those who don't use SkyDrive may see it as a con that it's baked in, but you get 7GB of free space to store files and it's easy to use, so I see it as a pro.

Search in 8.1 Again, I know some people see this is a con, but I really like it. If I search for "public enemy" for example, I get results of files on my PC, categorised into files, music, photos etc., but I also get web search results including videos from various sites. If I click on the list of web videos then type in a new search term, it will show me web-based videos for that new search term. It also integrates your contacts if you've linked your Facebook, Twitter etc. accounts, so if I search for "dave", for example, my friend Dave's Facebook account appears in the results and I can post direct to his timeline from there, I can click "View Map" to see a map of his location etc.

Task Manager is much improved, shows more info than it used to and in a better way, and it also has new capabilities such as being able to see a list of start-up items and disable them - something you used to do with MSConfig or via the registry in 7.

To me, even if you're the kind of person that thinks "bring the Start menu back!!!" I would still go with 8 over 7, because you can easily install a third party app and then you've basically got Windows 7, but better. That said, if you are perfectly happy with Windows 7, there are not any hugely compelling reasons to upgrade.

The only tip I would give you is that whether you use 8 or 8.1, if you right-click in the bottom left corner of the screen, you get a "power menu" with a list of things on it, including Control Panel, Command Prompt, Device Manager etc. In 8.1, that also includes an entry that quickly allows you to shut down, log off etc. Some people do miss that because there isn't any hints that it actually exists, but it's very useful.

Wynona said:
What I especially like about Windows 7 is that the startup window isn't cluttered with a few gazillion tiles unless I put them there. I like my desktop to be clean and neat, without ANY icons on it.
8.1 does go some way to fixing that. There are a few bundled apps with 8.1, but after initially installing it and removing the tiles/apps you don't want, from there it's a lot better than 8 because you manually choose to add new tiles via the All Apps screen, rather them being added by default when you install a new program. That's much better IMO, because some programs would add several new tiles in Windows 8, then you'd immediately remove either most of them or all of them.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center (64 bit)
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    Intel Core i7 3770K
    Motherboard
    Asus Maximus V Gene
    Memory
    Corsair 4 x 4 GB 1,600 MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    Gigabyte GTX 670
    Sound Card
    RME HDSPe AIO
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell U2713HM
    Screen Resolution
    2,560 x 1,440
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 830 SSD 128 GB
    Hitachi 7K3000 2 TB
    PSU
    Seasonic X-760
    Case
    Silverstone TJ08-E
    Cooling
    Noctua NH-D14 Special Edition
    Keyboard
    Logitech K800
    Mouse
    Logitech M570
    Internet Speed
    60 Mbps/3 Mbps cable
    Browser
    Opera 12.16
And then, if I'm hearing correctly, one can boot straight to the desktop, which is probably what I'd do just so I wouldn't have to look at those ugly tiles. :think:

Thanks for the very good report on what 8.1 has to offer, both pro and con.

One thing, though . . . does NumLock play nice in 8.1? That is, if NumLock is set to "ON" in the BIOS, is it on when the computer finishes booting? Reason I'm asking is that (1) I use the numeric keypad extensively in Excel and (2) I password my computer and parts of my password are numeric.

For now, I've finally gotten good at remembering to press the NumLock key on startup, and if it ever gets fixed, I'll surely have to break another bad habit. Sigh . . .

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavilion 500-056
    CPU
    AMD Elite Quad-Core A8-6500
    Memory
    8 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD Radeon HD 8570D
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer 23"
    Screen Resolution
    1920 X 1080
    Hard Drives
    1 TB
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wave K350
    Mouse
    Logitech M510
    Internet Speed
    Fast
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
Excuse me for interrupting. What does the Num key do? I will Google it but the answers there can vary. I have Win 8 x 64.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Pro x 64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Dell XPS 8300, Dell Inspiron 15 R N5010
    Memory
    6 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia GE force 420
    Hard Drives
    1TB
    Browser
    Edge, Chrome
    Antivirus
    Defender, MBAM, Router
Excuse me for interrupting. What does the Num key do? I will Google it but the answers there can vary. I have Win 8 x 64.

Number Lock key keeps the number keys on the right side of your keyboard acting like numbers instead of alternative keys like Home , Page Up , Page Down etc. (#7 works as a Home key when Num Lock is turned off)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    i7-3770K
    Motherboard
    ASRock Z77 Extreme4
    Memory
    16 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    17" 24"
    Hard Drives
    1 TB WD
    PSU
    550w
And then, if I'm hearing correctly, one can boot straight to the desktop
Yep, you can boot straight to the desktop. You can also disable the hot corners at the upper left/right of the screen. Also, you can set it so that when you click the Start button, it goes straight to the All Apps menu, instead of taking you to the Metro screen.

For me, Num Lock was on by default in Windows 8, as it is in 8.1. That might vary depending on configuration/hardware, but it's not been an issue for me.

Peter2 said:
What does the Num key do?
If your keyboard has a number pad, then some of the keys have dual functions. The Num Lock key switches between those two states. With Num Lock off, pressing the "9" key is actually "Page Up", so you can use it while browsing the web for instance, but most people would have Num Lock engaged as they use the number pad purely for typing in numbers.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center (64 bit)
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    Intel Core i7 3770K
    Motherboard
    Asus Maximus V Gene
    Memory
    Corsair 4 x 4 GB 1,600 MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    Gigabyte GTX 670
    Sound Card
    RME HDSPe AIO
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell U2713HM
    Screen Resolution
    2,560 x 1,440
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 830 SSD 128 GB
    Hitachi 7K3000 2 TB
    PSU
    Seasonic X-760
    Case
    Silverstone TJ08-E
    Cooling
    Noctua NH-D14 Special Edition
    Keyboard
    Logitech K800
    Mouse
    Logitech M570
    Internet Speed
    60 Mbps/3 Mbps cable
    Browser
    Opera 12.16

The NumLock key locks the numbers keys to where they always use the number instead of being dual use. For example: the 9 key will always type a 9 instead of being Page Up in some applications.

Edit: Three of us owe each other a Coke for posting at the same time. :)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Acer V3 771G-6443
    CPU
    i5-3230m
    Motherboard
    Acer VA70_HC (U3E1)
    Memory
    8GB DDR3 PC3-12800 (800 MHz)
    Graphics Card(s)
    HD4000 + GeForce GT 730M
    Sound Card
    Realtek High Definition Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    17" Generic PnP Display on Intel HD Graphics 4000
    Screen Resolution
    1600x900 pixels
    Hard Drives
    Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250 GB
    ADATA SSD SP900 128GB
    PSU
    90 watt brick
    Mouse
    Bluetooth
    Antivirus
    Comodo
    Other Info
    Asus RT-AC56R dual-band WRT router (Merlin firmware). Intel 7260.HMWWB.R dual-band ac wireless adapter.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Intel Pentium D Dual Core
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3000 - PCI Express x16
    Sound Card
    Integrated RealTek ALC888 high-definition audio with 7.1 channel audio support
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    350 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Desktop 7.2" (183mm) W x 17.5" (445mm) L x 14.5"
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
    Office Pro 2013 / Nokia Lumia 1520 Windows Phone 8.1DP GDR1
Before computers, we had typewriters and adding machines. A typewriter had letters and a row of numbers at the very top of the keyboard, much like a computer keyboard (not taking into consideration the 10-key keypad at the right). An adding machine had/has (they're not obsolete yet) ten number keys and various other keys similar to the 10-key keypad.

OK, now to your question . . . The NumLock key must be active (On) in order for the numbers on the 10-key keypad to register when pressed. If I'm working in a number intensive application such as Excel, this 10-key keypad to the right is much more convenient than reaching for the number keys at the top.

Just as one should be "trained" on the typewriter/keyboard, one should also be "trained" on the 10-key keypad. Because of my past work history I am proficient with the adding machine; thus, much prefer the 10-key keypad.

So, when the computer boots, NumLock should be ON so that when I type a number, it works. If it's OFF, of course, the numbers no worky. Then, I have to remember to turn on NumLock. Normally, this is set from within the BIOS; however, for whatever the reason, it seems that although NumLock is ON in the BIOS, it no worky on this HP 500-056 with Win 8.

Now, having said all that, if someone never uses the 10-key keypad, then the NumLock key isn't important to them.

BTW, calculators are a completely different animal, since their keypads are upside down to an adding machine or computer keyboard.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    HP Pavilion 500-056
    CPU
    Memory
    8 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD Radeon HD 8570D
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer 23"
    Screen Resolution
    1920 X 1080
    Hard Drives
    1 TB
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wave K350
    Mouse
    Logitech M510
    Internet Speed
    Fast
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
And then, if I'm hearing correctly, one can boot straight to the desktop, which is probably what I'd do just so I wouldn't have to look at those ugly tiles. :think:

Thanks for the very good report on what 8.1 has to offer, both pro and con.

One thing, though . . . does NumLock play nice in 8.1? That is, if NumLock is set to "ON" in the BIOS, is it on when the computer finishes booting? Reason I'm asking is that (1) I use the numeric keypad extensively in Excel and (2) I password my computer and parts of my password are numeric.

For now, I've finally gotten good at remembering to press the NumLock key on startup, and if it ever gets fixed, I'll surely have to break another bad habit. Sigh . . .

While you were using XP , 7 or any other Win OS and you saw your Desktop after you logged in. Did you press the Start button and before you could click on a program you were anxious to open ; the Start menu disappeared because not everything was loaded yet.

That is my biggest argument for the Start screen. Once you move the Desktop tile to top left corner of tiles. You have 2 choices.
  1. Press the Enter key which will take you to Desktop , Quick launch , toolbars etc.
  2. Click on any Desktop Program tile and be swept instantly to that program opened already your Desktop.

You can unpin or uninstall the tiles that came loaded and arrange tiles however you like.
Once I understood Programs as we always knew them open on the desktop and Apps that came installed on the 8 Start Screen or added from the Widows Store open in the Modern screen. I sorted all the Desktop Program tiles to left side and Modern Apps to right side of screen.
They claim the Modern side is safer especially for online banking , shopping , identiy etc.
To close Modern Apps use Ctrl+F4 or click & hold the top and drag all the way to bottom of screen.

If you don't like the Modern App Internet Explorer and only want to use Desktop Internet Explorer.
  1. Open IE on your desktop
  2. Click on Tools & Internet options
  3. Click Programs tab
  4. Checkmark Open Internet Explorer tiles on the desktop
  5. Click OK

8 is going to be what we make it. Good or bad.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    i7-3770K
    Motherboard
    ASRock Z77 Extreme4
    Memory
    16 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    17" 24"
    Hard Drives
    1 TB WD
    PSU
    550w
Stepsaving shortcuts

This :orb: makes a nice shortcut on your taskbar to the Start screen "Start" Screen Shortcut - Create in Windows 8

This :winkey: makes a nice shortcut on your taskbar to All Apps on Start screen "All Apps" Shortcut - Create in Windows 8 instead of right clicking the Start screen and then clicking lower right corner

This "Pin to Start" Files in Windows 8 allows you to pin ANY file (rtf , jpg , excel etc.) to your Start screen and then you can pin those documents to your taskbar. Comes in handy!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    i7-3770K
    Motherboard
    ASRock Z77 Extreme4
    Memory
    16 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    17" 24"
    Hard Drives
    1 TB WD
    PSU
    550w
I cannot thank you all for your comments. I have some more reading to do.
Peter

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Pro x 64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Memory
    6 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia GE force 420
    Hard Drives
    1TB
    Browser
    Edge, Chrome
    Antivirus
    Defender, MBAM, Router
While you were using XP , 7 or any other Win OS and you saw your Desktop after you logged in. Did you press the Start button and before you could click on a program you were anxious to open ; the Start menu disappeared because not everything was loaded yet.

I don't think so. At least I can't recall it ever happening with Windows 7, Vista is a fleeting memory and XP is a very distant memory.

That is my biggest argument for the Start screen. Once you move the Desktop tile to top left corner of tiles. You have 2 choices.
  1. Press the Enter key which will take you to Desktop, Quick launch , toolbars etc.
  2. Click on any Desktop Program tile and be swept instantly to that program opened already your Desktop.
Yeah, I've already done #1. I've also done #2; however, it depends on how fast the computer is. The "old" 2.5 Ghz one wasn't instantaneous at all. I still hate those ugly tiles and still want to boot directly to my desktop where everything is familiar. For now, Quick Launch handles most of what I want to do with a single click (after I've been forced to click on my desktop).

You can unpin or uninstall the tiles that came loaded and arrange tiles however you like.
Once I understood Programs as we always knew them open on the desktop and Apps that came installed on the 8 Start Screen or added from the Widows Store open in the Modern screen. I sorted all the Desktop Program tiles to left side and Modern Apps to right side of screen.

I've done the same sort, but . . . And there's nothing in the Windows Store that I want. :( Those apps are as useless as the proverbial teats on a bore hog.

They claim the Modern side is safer especially for online banking , shopping , identiy etc.
To close Modern Apps use Ctrl+F4 or click & hold the top and drag all the way to bottom of screen.

Not sure what the Modern Apps are, but I don't pay any attention to all that stuff anyway. I may explore it one of these days, but for now, I haven't found a need for it.

If you don't like the Modern App Internet Explorer and only want to use Desktop Internet Explorer.

I don't use Internet Explorer because it's not efficient when I'm researching property records at the County Clerk's website. Firefox works much better for me and lets me save my results (IE won't).

8 is going to be what we make it. Good or bad.

Yep, and I'm withholding final judgment until 8.1 is released on October 18.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    HP Pavilion 500-056
    CPU
    Memory
    8 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD Radeon HD 8570D
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer 23"
    Screen Resolution
    1920 X 1080
    Hard Drives
    1 TB
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wave K350
    Mouse
    Logitech M510
    Internet Speed
    Fast
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
Stepsaving shortcuts

This :orb: makes a nice shortcut on your taskbar to the Start screen "Start" Screen Shortcut - Create in Windows 8

This :winkey: makes a nice shortcut on your taskbar to All Apps on Start screen "All Apps" Shortcut - Create in Windows 8 instead of right clicking the Start screen and then clicking lower right corner

This "Pin to Start" Files in Windows 8 allows you to pin ANY file (rtf , jpg , excel etc.) to your Start screen and then you can pin those documents to your taskbar. Comes in handy!

Thanks, Mr. Rat. I'll check these out.

One thing, though. I don't pin anything to the Taskbar simply because the icons are much too large. With Quick Launch, I could set 12 icons inside one "pinned" icon. Currently, I have about 20 apps and files in Quick Launch. If I pinned that many to the Taskbar, it would be full up. :confused:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    HP Pavilion 500-056
    CPU
    Memory
    8 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD Radeon HD 8570D
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer 23"
    Screen Resolution
    1920 X 1080
    Hard Drives
    1 TB
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wave K350
    Mouse
    Logitech M510
    Internet Speed
    Fast
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
Thank you Wynona for teaching me. I've known about Quick Launch and never realized paid attention that the icons were smaller than those on taskbar. Soon I'll have Quick Launch on 8.

Now if you could teach me how to disect one message into all those individual "quotes"

"Not sure what the Modern Apps are,"
Easiest way to explain is. If you click on a Start screen tile and itdoesn't open on the desktop, it's a Modern App.
Programs open on desktop. Modern Apps open in that new world.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    i7-3770K
    Motherboard
    ASRock Z77 Extreme4
    Memory
    16 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    17" 24"
    Hard Drives
    1 TB WD
    PSU
    550w
Thank you Wynona for teaching me. I've known about Quick Launch and never realized paid attention that the icons were smaller than those on taskbar. Soon I'll have Quick Launch on 8.

Now if you could teach me how to disect one message into all those individual "quotes"

Hehehe, I guess we're all teaching each other. I was in an organization that had as its motto, "Each One Teach One". I've learned since that it wasn't unique to that organization. At any rate, I think it applies here big time.

Disecting a message is easy. I haven't noticed whether you're quoting or not, so I'll start at the beginning. First, you click on quote and the entire message shows up as a quote. Notice that the beginning of the quote has some HTML stuff and the ending of the quote has some more HTML stuff. Highlight the beginning HTML portion (I'll put spaces in what I want to show you so it won't activate it) as such: [QUOTE = pcRat; 281251] and Ctrl C to copy it to your clipboard. Don't copy the ending part; it's easy enough to just type in.

So, now, the entire quote is at the top of your message. Leave the first "HTML QUOTE" intact. Go to where you want to split the message. Let's take your second paragraph with the spaces I put into the HTML to show what you would do using the beginning you copied to your clipboard (no spaces):

[QUOTE = pcRat; 281251]Now if you could teach me how to disect one message into all those individual "quotes" [ / QUOTE ]

The quote should come out like this:

Do the same for each section that you wish to quote.

Having given these 'structions, I am not sure we should use it all that much. More for longer messages that contain several subjects that we may not easily stick to.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    HP Pavilion 500-056
    CPU
    Memory
    8 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD Radeon HD 8570D
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer 23"
    Screen Resolution
    1920 X 1080
    Hard Drives
    1 TB
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wave K350
    Mouse
    Logitech M510
    Internet Speed
    Fast
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender

Ah, I had found that, but didn't see DISM anywhere at the beginning, and couldn't understand what I was reading, so I didn't read far enough.

I still haven't read the whole thing, cuz it seems that at the moment, I don't need it. Looks like a fixer-upper for when your system (image maybe) gets grunged. Good to know that it exists, though.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    HP Pavilion 500-056
    CPU
    Memory
    8 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD Radeon HD 8570D
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer 23"
    Screen Resolution
    1920 X 1080
    Hard Drives
    1 TB
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wave K350
    Mouse
    Logitech M510
    Internet Speed
    Fast
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
im planning to install the new os windows 8
before i do that i just want to know if

can you give me some pros and cons of windows 8 vs 7?
what at the changes between 7 and 8?
is it lighter to use in pc (takes less memory usage, cpu)?
is it user friendly easy to use?

pls give me some tips and advices

ps: if maybe can you post me some their bench marks

I'd do Windows 8, it has been much more stable for me than 7. When watching videos I used to get stutter for 1080 files so I had to watch only 720. Once I installed 8, I could watch 1080's.

I would not do 8.1, I have it installed as a VM, and I hate it. But I LOVE Windows 8. If you install Start8 it will boot straight to Desktop and you can avoid that Start Screen. Most people who use 8 do this.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro with Media Center/Windows 7
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Asus M2N-MX SE Plus § DualCore AMD Athlon 64 X2, 2300 MHz (11.5 x 200) 4400+ § Corsair Value Select
    CPU
    AMD 4400+/4200+
    Motherboard
    Asus M2N-MX SE Plus/Asus A8M2N-LA (NodusM)
    Memory
    2 GB/3GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    GeForce 8400 GS/GeForce 210
    Sound Card
    nVIDIA GT218 - High Definition Audio Controller
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Hitachi 40" LCD HDTV
    Screen Resolution
    "1842 x 1036"
    Hard Drives
    WDC WD50 00AAKS-007AA SCSI Disk Device
    ST1000DL 002-9TT153 SCSI Disk Device
    WDC WD3200AAJB-00J3A0 ATA Device
    WDC WD32 WD-WCAPZ2942630 USB Device
    WD My Book 1140 USB Device
    PSU
    Works 550w
    Case
    MSI "M-Box"
    Cooling
    Water Cooled
    Keyboard
    Dell Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Intellimouse
    Internet Speed
    Cable Medium Speed
    Browser
    Chrome/IE 10
    Antivirus
    Eset NOD32 6.x/Win Defend
    Other Info
    Recently lost my Windows 8 on my main PC, had to go back to Windows 7.
I am glad to hear about 8.1.
I now have to think about the upcoming update.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Pro x 64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Memory
    6 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia GE force 420
    Hard Drives
    1TB
    Browser
    Edge, Chrome
    Antivirus
    Defender, MBAM, Router
I am glad to hear about 8.1.
I now have to think about the upcoming update.

Just let you know, it's actually an "upgrade-to" edition, not update.

I advise to wait to buy that edition to install. That way you will have a disc to fresh install. They are also handy to have for repair.

Edit: My apology. I didn't know you already installed 8.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Intel Pentium D Dual Core
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3000 - PCI Express x16
    Sound Card
    Integrated RealTek ALC888 high-definition audio with 7.1 channel audio support
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    350 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Desktop 7.2" (183mm) W x 17.5" (445mm) L x 14.5"
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
    Office Pro 2013 / Nokia Lumia 1520 Windows Phone 8.1DP GDR1
When I moved from Win 7 which came installed on my pc to Win 8 I ran the advisor which told me I would lose some features and Bluetooth was one of them.
After attaining Win 8, the programs it told me I would lose, was accurate.

That just means that the currently installed driver was not compatible. You have to get an updated driver from either your computer manufacturer or the Bluetooth vendor.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    CPU
    Intel i7 3770K
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte Z77X-UD4 TH
    Memory
    16GB DDR3 1600
    Graphics Card(s)
    nVidia GTX 650