Windows 8 Versions announced, 8, Pro,RT,Ent

Microsoft announces Windows 8 catalog including standard, Pro and Arm-based ‘Windows RT’ editions - The Next Web

Windows 8
Windows 8 Pro
Windows 8 RT (ARM based)
Windows 8 Enterprise

QUOTE:
The differences between the editions are based on the platforms and features that each will contain. Windows 8 is the standard edition, likely to be found packaged with many OEM systems and will be the default recommendation for ‘many consumers’, says Microsoft.
Windows 8 Pro will “ help tech enthusiasts and business/technical professionals obtain a broader set of Windows 8 technologies.” This version includes everything in the standard version plus encryption, virtualization, PC management and domain connectivity. Windows Pro will have to have Media Center added on to it as a ‘media pack’ that Microsoft says will be economically priced. Windows 8 Pro has a bunch of exclusive features listed like BitLocker, Boot from VHD, Client Hyper-V, Group Policies and hosting Remote Desktops.
The third version will be called Windows RT and it will be installed on PCs and tablets that contain ARM-based processors. This will help these systems stay ‘thin and light’ and have better battery life than more power-hungry x86 processors.
Windows RT will include touch-optimized desktop versions of the new Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and OneNote. Microsoft says that new applications based on the WinRT programming model will be revealed soon, calling them a ”new generation of cloud-enabled, touch-enabled, web-connected apps.”
There will also be an enterprise version of Windows 8. Windows 8 Enterprise includes all the features of Windows 8 Pro plus tools for PC management, advanced security, virtualization and deployment.

I would still like to know what exactly WMC does that can't be done in Metro.

Nobody said "can't be done". What I did say is that it's a very, very long way off to see such apps.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8250 x86 + 7 SP1 x86 + Ubuntu 12.04 LTS x86
    CPU
    P4 3.4 GHz HT
    Motherboard
    MSI-7211
    Memory
    OCZ 2 GB DDR @ 400 MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    HIS AGP HD 3850 Turbo Ice-Q
    Sound Card
    MOTU Traveler firewire interface
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer x223w
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    WD Caviar Black 1 TB Sata II, WD 400 GB Sata I, WD 120 GB Sata I
    PSU
    300W generic
    Case
    Cybertron
    Keyboard
    Logitech Classic Keyboard 200, Dell RT7D20
    Mouse
    Logitech M510
    Internet Speed
    2 MByte/sec Down, 250 KByte/sec Up
I would still like to know what exactly WMC does that can't be done in Metro.

Nobody said "can't be done". What I did say is that it's a very, very long way off to see such apps.

For all we know, they could already be in the gold version.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    Laptop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Asus Tansformer Book Flip TP500LN
    CPU
    Intel i5-4210U
    Memory
    8GB DDR3 SDRAM
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia Geforce GT 840M
    Monitor(s) Displays
    15" Touchscreen
    Screen Resolution
    1366 x 768
    Hard Drives
    1TB Hybrid
    Mouse
    Microsoft Wireless Mobile Mouse 4000
For all we know, they could already be in the gold version.

REALLY less than likely, considering even this about Office itself:

"The Windows 8 Consumer Preview (read Windows 8 public beta) will be here real soon now and we still don’t know next to anything about Windows 8’s applications. As Mary Jo Foley recently pointed out we still don’t even know whether Office 15 will be Metro, non-Metro, or partially Metro.
Seriously? Windows 8 will probably be out by this fall and we still don’t know jack about its apps? Not even Microsoft’s own flagship office application? Come on! How can you take this operating system seriously?"

Source: https://www.zdnet.com/blog/open-source/five-reasons-why-windows-8-will-be-dead-on-arrival/10275

------

If we don't even know anything about Office, you can bet the farm that there is no Metro WMC or anything like it in existence at all whatsoever.

As I said, WMC has been refined for many years (more than a decade) over multiple operating systems.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8250 x86 + 7 SP1 x86 + Ubuntu 12.04 LTS x86
    CPU
    P4 3.4 GHz HT
    Motherboard
    MSI-7211
    Memory
    OCZ 2 GB DDR @ 400 MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    HIS AGP HD 3850 Turbo Ice-Q
    Sound Card
    MOTU Traveler firewire interface
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer x223w
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    WD Caviar Black 1 TB Sata II, WD 400 GB Sata I, WD 120 GB Sata I
    PSU
    300W generic
    Case
    Cybertron
    Keyboard
    Logitech Classic Keyboard 200, Dell RT7D20
    Mouse
    Logitech M510
    Internet Speed
    2 MByte/sec Down, 250 KByte/sec Up
Well LET me answer that for you! According to beta.windows.com, this will be the good stuff coming out.
Directory of Microsoft Products Accepting Bugs and Suggestions | Microsoft Connect Lots and lots of goodies :geek:

I seriously doubt that there will be much in the way of "new" apps for Win8. Apple has, what, a half a MILLION apps in their store? I am sure that some will be ported over to Windows 8, but is that considered new?
Seriously, the ONLY app I have used in Metro was the Mah-jong Deluxe app and that lasted all of 15 minutes or so! Throw in Android apps, tablet apps, all of the Windows programs out there (now called apps), there will nothing exceptional that has not already been tried.
No, Metro apps is seriously a "me too!" addition.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bit GA
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    i7-4770K Haswell
    Motherboard
    ASUS Z87-PRO
    Memory
    16 GB of Corsair 1866
    Graphics Card(s)
    GTX 780
    Sound Card
    Cooler Master Storm Headphones
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell 27 inch U2711 IPS
    Screen Resolution
    2560 by 1440
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 840 Pro 250GB SSD plus 2 3 TB drives
    PSU
    Corsair-750
    Case
    Corsair White Graphite Series 600T
    Cooling
    Corsair H00i Water
    Keyboard
    Corsair K90
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser
    Internet Speed
    6.3 MBps
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    MS
You have to remember this is just the first public beta (consumers preview), and with all Microsoft operating systems, there will be more to come before the RTM comes to our availability, and the MS Beta site I listed will have more and more available applications that will be in the metro lineup. ALSO remembering they will be BETA only software, with no warranty given.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 pro Retail
Back