Windows 8 to mainstream solid-state drives, says analyst

Of course bigger is better. But may be also less economical. The art is to find a balance. Look at the performance of this 128GB beauty - especially the 4K nums. 4K is the most frequently used blocksize by the OS.

Attachments

• 2013-01-24_2322.png
    2013-01-24_2322.png
    30.5 KB · Views: 120

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    System Manufacturer/Model
    2xHP, 2xGateway, 1xDell, 1xSony
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs
The 256GB SSDs seem to currently hit the sweet spot when it comes to price and performance.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64
“While SSD shipments rose by 124 percent last year, growth actually fell short of expectations because ultrabook sales faltered due to poor marketing, high prices and a lack of appealing features. However, if sales of the new generation of ultrabooks take off this year as expected, the SSD market is set for robust growth.”

Another factor encouraging the buying of SSDs is that the price of NAND continues to fall, so more and more SSDs are appealing to price-conscious, performance minded, savvy computer enthusiasts.

SSD market revenue expected to double this year - Components - News - HEXUS.net

But we all knew that anyway, didn't we?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64
In the UK I can buy a 1TB Sata drive for just over £50, whys would I even consider spending an extra £90+ for a 200 GB SSD, the figures just don't add up for me !
Oh but I don't have a notebook/laptop by the way hate them both with a passion !!!!

Why, because they make any PC faster, and that's the main aim of Geeks, you know, the type of person that hangs around on these forums.

I myself have bought 2 in the last 12 months, I find they're big enough now for the OS and a few programmes, photos, music and videos I put onto external drives or just put a second Sata drive in the case.

Well 1stly allow me to apologise for not being a 'geek', and for using these forums to connect with other people, hell if I knew there was a requirement I wouldn't have bothered ! Aren't you the same guy who criticised people for using useless 3rd party software like Classic Shell (probably written by a geek) ? I think that everyone is entitled to an opinion and use this forum without needing to be labelled, so I will keep my dim views to myself then I don't have to be patronised by you !
KINDEST REGARDS
Ricky

You asked why, I gave you an opinion as to why, I referred to Geeks because that's the main type of person that visits these forums. How you somehow turned what I said into some kind of insult is beyond me.

if you asked the same question again I would answer it the same way, your average Geek tries to make his computer faster, and a reasonably cheap way of doing that is to add an SSD, unless you go to a really big size, then it becomes expensive.

As far as the Classic Shell goes, to me it's like adding a gear stick to an automatic, but some people like doing that.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro/Windows 8 Pro/Windows 7 64 Bit64Bit/Windows XP
Seems legit. Windows 8's hybrid boot feature with a SSD makes boot time pretty much non-existent, which is what I harp on when I suggest to people about that. Along with less power consumption. Of course.

Although I have to ask the general audience, I've personally not running on a SSD (going to do so on my next motherboard upgrade so I can buy a PCI-E based SSD) so I'm kind of wondering about how Windows performs over the long run. The thing that ends up slowing Windows to a constipated poop is usually winrot or I've seen with Kaspersky, just a weird degrading of performance. Do those type of issues not ever happen with a SSD? I feel like they would.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    1 TB Seagate Barracuda (starting to hate Seagate)
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    Windows 8.1 is installed on a SanDisk Ultra Plus 256 GB
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Arctic Cooler with 3 heatpipes
    Keyboard
    Logitech K750 wireless solar powered keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, but I might go back on KIS 2014
As far as the Classic Shell goes, to me it's like adding a gear stick to an automatic, but some people like doing that.

I love it when people use car analogies and get it completely wrong.

My Computer

System One

• OS

I love it when people use car analogies and get it completely wrong.

It could be wrong, but in my mind its a step back, or superfluous to my needs.

My Computer

System One

• OS
And some people don't appreciate cars or driving. It probably also reflects on other things in their life. But then I'm a motorhead, so I view things differently.

My Computer

System One

• OS
And some people don't appreciate cars or driving. It probably also reflects on other things in their life. But then I'm a motorhead, so I view things differently.

I've driven through most of Western Europe, including Denmark Norway and Sweden, most of England Scotland and Wales. Driven right around Australia nearly twice, Driven through quite a stretch of the USA and quite a bit of Canada, so I'm not one of those people.

My Computer

System One

• OS
Being in control of a car and driving a car are two completely different things.

My Computer

System One

• OS
A self-confessed grey nomad. The ultimate driver. :D

My Computer

System One

• OS
A self-confessed grey nomad. The ultimate driver. :D

Beats sitting around watching television. Once the holidays are over, I'll probably be off again or over to Europe if my wife has her way, me, I'd rather sit under a gumtree beside a river, as long as there's a 3g signal around.

My Computer

System One

• OS
When I go bush, there's no computers or phones. Dig a hole for a dump, cook on a campfire, get water from a river and sleep under canvas.

My Computer

System One

• OS
When I go bush, there's no computers or phones. Dig a hole for a dump, cook on a campfire, get water from a river and sleep under canvas.

I,m a bit like that, caravan with a toilet and shower, gas oven, 3 way fridge, TV with PVR functions, iPad, Netbook and HTC OneX for a hotspot, I just love roughing it:thumbsup:

My Computer

System One

• OS
Well personally speaking as a home user I don't really need a file or folder to open instantly, so I'll stick with my sata HD for now, just seen a 512GB SSD for £513 plus P&P I can go and visit my mates in Cyprus for three weeks with that !!!!!!!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro 64bit
    Acer Aspire All-in-One
    CPU
    2.70 gigahertz Intel Pentium Dual-Core
    Motherboard
    Acer Aspire Z5600
    Memory
    6 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel(R) G45/G43 Express Chipset
    Sound Card
    Realtech High Definition/Dolby Home Theater
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" HD
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1080
    Hard Drives
    500 GB
    Internet Speed
    72 Mbps
Well personally speaking as a home user I don't really need a file or folder to open instantly, so I'll stick with my sata HD for now, just seen a 512GB SSD for £513 plus P&P I can go and visit my mates in Cyprus for three weeks with that !!!!!!!

Well I wouldn't buy one for that price either, but I've just bought a 128GB for $100 which I thought was reasonable, and it was a heavy duty gaming one. I use a NAS for all my big files so that's ample for me.

Look if you're happy with your setup stick with it, my rig is over 3 years old, the only things I've changed are the video card and the SSD, still plenty fast for me.

My Computer

System One

• OS
Hi there

You don't always have to pay "top dollar" --keep your eyes skinned and it's amazing what you can "Salvage".

I got 3 120 GB SSD's from some old junk computers the office was scrapping -- can't understand some businesses - the amount of salvageable junk they scrap -- and they say there's no money around !!!! -

I have 2 sets of the old fashioned "Grey Tin type sets of office drawers" that I "rescued" from an office being "renovated" when it was just chucking out "Old Furniture" on to the city street waiting for the Garbage collection. I have got a great old Executive / CEO type of TEAK !!! Desk too - a little bit of sanding and a drop of Polyurethane and polishing and I've got a far far better desk than I could have ever paid for myself and all it cost me was a bit of "Do it yourself" and a bit of heaving into the vehicle by me and a colleague.

How's that for saving money in a recession -- and the SSD's are just fine - to say nothing of the Office furniture.

Cheers
jimbo

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    SSD's * 3 (Samsung 840 series) 250 GB
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)
I'm one of those who purchased an SSD at the same time as Win8 to improve my system performance. I've put my most frequently used apps on the SSD and all of my data are on 2 500GB spinners. Very happy that it's performing to expectations so far.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
    Shuttle SG33G5M
    CPU
    Intel Q8300
    Memory
    4GB DDR2 1066MHz
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    128GB OCZ Vertex 4 SSD
    2x500GB Seagate Barracuda
    Keyboard
    Logitech DiNovo Mini
    Internet Speed
    BT Infinity 65 Mbps
Seems legit. Windows 8's hybrid boot feature with a SSD makes boot time pretty much non-existent, which is what I harp on when I suggest to people about that. Along with less power consumption. Of course.

Although I have to ask the general audience, I've personally not running on a SSD (going to do so on my next motherboard upgrade so I can buy a PCI-E based SSD) so I'm kind of wondering about how Windows performs over the long run. The thing that ends up slowing Windows to a constipated poop is usually winrot or I've seen with Kaspersky, just a weird degrading of performance. Do those type of issues not ever happen with a SSD? I feel like they would.
Coke, 2 suggestions:

1. Don't buy a PCI-e attached SSD. They are a) expensive and b) are not really any faster than e.g. the new OCZ Vector

2. I have not noticed any slowdown 'in the long run'. My oldest SSD has been installed 4 years ago and the current performance is only marginally slower than on day1. The same for my other 5. I have OCZs, Intels, Crucial, Mushkin and now a brand new Vector which is not yet installed.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    2xHP, 2xGateway, 1xDell, 1xSony
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs
Back