Windows 8 swells to 2.7% of OS market

I don't understand why some think Microsoft should support a three year old OS just because it's the most used right now. That will end up with another xp....
I expect that they will end up with that either way. Windows 7 was the most liked OS right from the start, moreso than any other MS OS in the past.

I really loved the 50/50 Aero Snap feature in Windows 7 and 8, and I'd love to see that in the apps with Windows 8. It would had been MUCH better than the 33/66 snap right now.
Yes, the current 320 pixel, remainder of screen snap is completely useless.

At the end of the day, I guess I don't really care at all what the percentage of use of the OS is. Either you like it or you don't. Neither the people who do like it, or the people who do not, are right or wrong.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Intel Q9550 2.83Ghz OC'd to 3.40Ghz
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R rev. 1.1, F12 BIOS
    Memory
    8GB G.Skill PI DDR2-800, 4-4-4-12 timings
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA 1280MB Nvidia GeForce GTX570
    Sound Card
    Realtek ALC899A 8 channel onboard audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Intel X25-M 80GB Gen 2 SSD
    Western Digital 1TB Caviar Black, 32MB cache. WD1001FALS
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info
    Windows and Linux enthusiast. Logitech G35 Headset.
I don't understand why some think Microsoft should support a three year old OS just because it's the most used right now. That will end up with another xp....
I expect that they will end up with that either way. Windows 7 was the most liked OS right from the start, moreso than any other MS OS in the past.

I really loved the 50/50 Aero Snap feature in Windows 7 and 8, and I'd love to see that in the apps with Windows 8. It would had been MUCH better than the 33/66 snap right now.
Yes, the current 320 pixel, remainder of screen snap is completely useless.

At the end of the day, I guess I don't really care at all what the percentage of use of the OS is. Either you like it or you don't. Neither the people who do like it, or the people who do not, are right or wrong.

Pretty much, you just to point A to point B in modern fashion, if that's quicker than before, awesome. If not, oh well.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    1 TB Seagate Barracuda (starting to hate Seagate)
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    Windows 8.1 is installed on a SanDisk Ultra Plus 256 GB
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Arctic Cooler with 3 heatpipes
    Keyboard
    Logitech K750 wireless solar powered keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, but I might go back on KIS 2014
Many of the world's largest organisations are only now migrating to Windows 7 from Windows XP, they will remain with Windows 7 for years to come and Microsoft will support Windows 7 for years to come. Microsoft extended support for Windows XP far longer than they wanted to, because of the corporate backlash when they announced that support would be stopped.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64
I love how MS gives customers more options like touch while keeping the old desktop and people whine.:roflmao:
People would whine if MS threw in an overseas trip to Paris and 3 cartons of beer, it's just the nature of the beast.

If Apple would have bought this out and charged an extra $200 the world would be in love with it.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro/Windows 8 Pro/Windows 7 64 Bit64Bit/Windows XP
I love how MS gives customers more options like touch while keeping the old desktop and people whine.:roflmao:
People would whine if MS threw in an overseas trip to Paris and 3 cartons of beer, it's just the nature of the beast.

If Apple would have bought this out and charged an extra $200 the world would be in love with it.
Yep.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus

You really seem to be obsessed sometimes with what Apple would have done. I'm not an Apple fan or Apple owner, but when they do something, it seems like the fans really seem to enjoy the way it's been done. It's just hard for Windows users to understand that type of success.

And the majority of Apple users aren't clamoring to come back to Windows. The primary exception is Windows people who gave Apple a shot. But even then, I have many coworkers, and fellow IT counterparts who have moved over to OSX and they don't have regrets and encourage me often to really give the opposition a shot. I trust their opinions and am almost shocked at how satisfied they are with their iPads and MacBook Pros.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Intel Q9550 2.83Ghz OC'd to 3.40Ghz
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R rev. 1.1, F12 BIOS
    Memory
    8GB G.Skill PI DDR2-800, 4-4-4-12 timings
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA 1280MB Nvidia GeForce GTX570
    Sound Card
    Realtek ALC899A 8 channel onboard audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Intel X25-M 80GB Gen 2 SSD
    Western Digital 1TB Caviar Black, 32MB cache. WD1001FALS
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info
    Windows and Linux enthusiast. Logitech G35 Headset.

You really seem to be obsessed sometimes with what Apple would have done. I'm not an Apple fan or Apple owner, but when they do something, it seems like the fans really seem to enjoy the way it's been done. It's just hard for Windows users to understand that type of success.

And the majority of Apple users aren't clamoring to come back to Windows. The primary exception is Windows people who gave Apple a shot. But even then, I have many coworkers, and fellow IT counterparts who have moved over to OSX and they don't have regrets and encourage me often to really give the opposition a shot. I trust their opinions and am almost shocked at how satisfied they are with their iPads and MacBook Pros.

apple releases something that isn't that revolutionary or better than other products, yet everyone is crapping their pants. It's an illusion that it's apple and that's that and it must be had.

I don't get why people to go the mac, it's gross quite frankly. The thing I KNOW for a fact would piddle me off is the bland silver chrome interface. Can't change it without Terminal and skills. That's not a Personal Computer, that's steve jobs' computer. Then there is the disgusting leather and skeuomorphic design.... :sick: I live in the modern age with a modern OS, not one that I would give my grandparents who have never used a computer before other than a calculator...

Then there are the apps and lack thereof. And the lack of gaming thereof.

And don't get me started on the cost!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
As one can see from here, he is obsessed with Apple and keeps buying their products no matter how crappy he thinks they are: BillWindows's comments on CNET. Makes you wonder.

I know plenty of people who use a Windows desktop, but as are happy as pigs in muck with their Apple/Android devices. But I guess they are all wrong.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64
As one can see from here, he is obsessed with Apple and keeps buying their products no matter how crappy he thinks they are: BillWindows's comments on CNET. Makes you wonder.

I know plenty of people who use a Windows desktop, but as are happy as pigs in muck with their Apple/Android devices. But I guess they are all wrong.
It's good to see you're taking a healthy interest in my adventures on Cnet Ray.

if you look at one of the comments I made, its about the biggest Apple lover on Cnet, ZeroRandy. This guy absolutely despises anything Microsoft and guess what? He's just gone out and bought a WINDOWS 8 convertible, game over Ray. If this guy crossed the line there will be plenty more to follow.

Not only that, he's actually HIGHLY recommending it, that's like the Pope quitting his post, oh yeah.

My Computer

System One

• OS
Microsoft will be jumping for joy. Makes you wonder.

My Computer

System One

• OS
I don't think Microsoft really cares what goes on on a daily basis, I think they just look at the figures. Maybe if you're lucky they'll dump Windows 8, if I'm lucky they'll continue it and make it better.

My Computer

System One

• OS
if you look at the people who are leading edge with upgrades and technology, the gamers, things are fine with Windows 8. gamers are the ones making hardware upgrades every few months. they were the driving force for video cards, CPUs, RAM, SSDs, etc. they were the first drivers of the move from 32-bit to 64-bit. gamers are the ones spending the most money and driving the hardware market forward. they are a very good barometer for where the market goes.

look at the steam hardware survey (your hardware is automatically read by the Steam service):
Steam Hardware & Software Survey

35hqsr9.jpg
pretty good showing

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
if you look at the people who are leading edge with upgrades and technology, the gamers, things are fine with Windows 8. gamers are the ones making hardware upgrades every few months. they were the driving force for video cards, CPUs, RAM, SSDs, etc. they were the first drivers of the move from 32-bit to 64-bit. gamers are the ones spending the most money and driving the hardware market forward. they are a very good barometer for where the market goes.

look at the steam hardware survey (your hardware is automatically read by the Steam service):
Steam Hardware & Software Survey

View attachment 17598
pretty good showing
Isn't it ironic, that's how I got interested in computers, gaming on the best computer of its time, the Commodore Amiga. When that lost its way I was lured by Doom onto the PC, and soon after Unreal and then Unreal Tournament.

My Computer

System One

• OS
What I've yet to get is why people are so antsy about Windows 8. Don't want apps? Uninstall all of them. Work in the Desktop? You can make the Start Screen reflect that, so it's just a giant start menu the size of the Desktop. That's essentially it. That's essentially the point that all the overly vocal critics ALWAYS WITHOUT FAIL seem to over shoot the runway with. EVERY SINGLE TIME

"I don't like the apps and they can't window!" Then don't use them.
"The Start Screen gets in my way!" And the start menu doesn't?
"The Start Screen is only meant for tablets and desktops should have a menu!" That's what basically Windows 7 was doing, the SAME UI on tablets, netbooks, laptops, and desktops.
"It's confusing!" Then learn it and don't be confused anymore.
"I want a start menu!" Then install one.

I've seen toddlers get over tantrums faster than this....

Some people don't like a touch UI slapped on top of their desktop OS. I don't know why that is so hard for you to grasp.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 + StartIsBack + AeroGlass
    Computer type
    Laptop
I don't think Microsoft really cares what goes on on a daily basis, I think they just look at the figures. Maybe if you're lucky they'll dump Windows 8, if I'm lucky they'll continue it and make it better.

Hi there
You seem to be having a personal ONE MAN vendetta against Windows 8 -- True Windows 8 really Does have a few -- but not nearly as many as is often portrayed -- problems but surely just 100% rants against W8 mouthing the same stuff over and over again doesn't really add anything worthwhile to the debate -- especially on a W8 Forum where most of us try and HELP users with their problems or discuss ways of overcoming Windows 8 shortfalls.

Anyway a reality check -- DESKTOP users especially in a work place AREN'T the people driving new hardware or need faster and faster software / hardware mixes -- most companies that still supply users with computing equipment probably have hardware that's almost in the Stone age compared to what those same users have at home.

Ms has realized this -- and while they *may* have alienated a load of Desktop users -- these same users can stick with W7 for at least another 7 years - and if people want to use earlier OS'e --well XP is still OK for another 18 months and there are plenty of "Mom and Pop" type home users still managing with VISTA or earlier systems.

I'm actually GLAD Ms is investigating and designing the OS for more modern hardware including touch and mobile - and this type of hardware is GROWING whereas pure Desktops will basically go nowhere and become just legacy devices.

I HATED W8 at first but I spent a little time with it and it really is much more flexible to make it work how you want it to --almost replicating W7 if that's your wish.

Of course some people want bits of the GUI changed and allow a load more customisation of Metro tiles - especially when installing standard Windows applications -- but by judicious use of TOOLBARS you never need to look at the windows 8 start screen after first boot -- and really about 90% of people who are just basic casual users will just take a computer home and use it whatever OS is on it. W8 will of course morph into something else - remember this is only a first iteration of Ms's new OS.

However just carrying on a one man tirade against Ms gets a bit pointless and uninteresting as it's going exactly NOWHERE fast.
You might just as well try a one man campaign to "Unseat" President Obama before his term expires. You'd probably have more success with that one however unlikely than getting Ms to shut down.

Cheers
jimbo

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    SSD's * 3 (Samsung 840 series) 250 GB
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)

Hi there
You seem to be having a personal ONE MAN vendetta against Windows 8 -- True Windows 8 really Does have a few -- but not nearly as many as is often portrayed -- problems but surely just 100% rants against W8 mouthing the same stuff over and over again doesn't really add anything worthwhile to the debate -- especially on a W8 Forum where most of us try and HELP users with their problems or discuss ways of overcoming Windows 8 shortfalls.

Anyway a reality check -- DESKTOP users especially in a work place AREN'T the people driving new hardware or need faster and faster software / hardware mixes -- most companies that still supply users with computing equipment probably have hardware that's almost in the Stone age compared to what those same users have at home.

Ms has realized this -- and while they *may* have alienated a load of Desktop users -- these same users can stick with W7 for at least another 7 years - and if people want to use earlier OS'e --well XP is still OK for another 18 months and there are plenty of "Mom and Pop" type home users still managing with VISTA or earlier systems.

I'm actually GLAD Ms is investigating and designing the OS for more modern hardware including touch and mobile - and this type of hardware is GROWING whereas pure Desktops will basically go nowhere and become just legacy devices.

I HATED W8 at first but I spent a little time with it and it really is much more flexible to make it work how you want it to --almost replicating W7 if that's your wish.

Of course some people want bits of the GUI changed and allow a load more customisation of Metro tiles - especially when installing standard Windows applications -- but by judicious use of TOOLBARS you never need to look at the windows 8 start screen after first boot -- and really about 90% of people who are just basic casual users will just take a computer home and use it whatever OS is on it. W8 will of course morph into something else - remember this is only a first iteration of Ms's new OS.

However just carrying on a one man tirade against Ms gets a bit pointless and uninteresting as it's going exactly NOWHERE fast.
You might just as well try a one man campaign to "Unseat" President Obama before his term expires. You'd probably have more success with that one however unlikely than getting Ms to shut down.

Cheers
jimbo

Agreed Jimbo - I think everything negative that's been said about Win8 has been repeated over and over and I count myself in that crowd. Maybe MS will fail with Win8 and maybe it will be a raging success, only time will tell. It's not for me as my Win7 rig is running just fine so I'll stay as I am.

Clearly MS have some sort of game plan which again will succeed or fail - another time teller. I think though that the forum should really revert to it's intended roots of helping those that have installed Win8 and are having problems/queries/etc with the OS.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win7 & 8 64bit / Linux Mint 14
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    i5 2400
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte
    Memory
    8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI HD3870
    Sound Card
    On-board
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Asus
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1280
    Hard Drives
    128gb SSD, 500gb SATA
    PSU
    Coolermaster
    Case
    Zalman Z7
    Cooling
    Air
    Keyboard
    Logitech Illuminated wired
    Mouse
    MS Optical wireless
    Antivirus
    Avast

Hi there

Cheers
jimbo

Agreed Jimbo - I think everything negative that's been said about Win8 has been repeated over and over and I count myself in that crowd. Maybe MS will fail with Win8 and maybe it will be a raging success, only time will tell. It's not for me as my Win7 rig is running just fine so I'll stay as I am.

Clearly MS have some sort of game plan which again will succeed or fail - another time teller. I think though that the forum should really revert to it's intended roots of helping those that have installed Win8 and are having problems/queries/etc with the OS.

Hi there
well said -- you are honest -- and if you don't like it that's fine -- there ARE issues as you can see.
Anyway I really do believe this is part of an evolving situation -- and we do have a load of hardware devices that were inconceivable a few years ago.

These devices do need a different type of OS -- and I can understand 100% with some people that computing in some areas is moving "out of their comfort zone".

For instance it took me ages and ages before I'd even think about LOOKING at a smart phone much less actually using one -- but honestly these days I wouldn't do without it -- I've found things like catching trains, getting buses in central London / Berlin / Paris etc absolutely simple with mobile phone apps and other things too numerous to even start writing about.

I used to do this type of research with a Laptop in a Hotel or even go into an Internet Café. Sometimes now I don't even bother to TAKE a laptop with me when I'm just away for 3 or 4 days.

I certainly don't blame Ms for attempting to join the party - even if they are a bit late in turning up --in fact my next phone will definitely be a Windows 8 phone -- they seem excellent here.

It will be hard on some traditional Die hard desktop users but if you've been in business you will realize that it's very very costly indeed to maintain a load of separate lines which are really intended to do the same thing - and it's quite obvious that there is a DWINDLING market for the classical desktop -- however sad that is for a lot of people. - However -- like Vinyl there will be a desktop OS around for as long as you want so you don't have to embrace things like touch, mobile , smart devices etc if you don't want to. You can still buy Vinyl records too if you like but nobody suggests these are mainstream any more -- although they probably will outlive the CD. !!!

Cheers
jimbo

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    SSD's * 3 (Samsung 840 series) 250 GB
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)
The thing with all this hating on Windows 8 is that it's killing the goose that lays the Golden Eggs. Microsoft made it possible for the whole world to own cheap computers in all shapes and sizes, and now we're condemning them for trying to stay afloat.

What would happen if MS were to close down tomorrow, I know what would happen, the world would be in turmoil. I know this is a bit melodramatic, but to me it almost seems that that's what people want.

Surely it's time to make a choice, go with Windows 8 or stick with Windows 7.

I'm not saying that if you have real problems you should accept it, that's what this forum is here for to help people, surely it's not here to scare them away.

My Computer

System One

• OS

Perhaps they need to be able to do that without upsetting their existing, huge, customer base. Otherwise they risk people simply sticking with Apple and Google for their mobile devices, while at the same time ignoring or flat-out rejecting also Windows 8 on traditional devices. And this precise scenario seems to be exactly what's going on at the moment. I want Microsoft to become an important player on the mobile space, but not at the expense of the traditional desktop.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 + StartIsBack + AeroGlass
    Computer type
    Laptop
Back