Windows 8 Pro to Core

well, the question is, can we ask Fillup to offer you his ISO if in fact his is the right version, in case the one you got does not work? cos we've already paid for the licences its just we are missing an actual ISO image.

Some will say yes and some will say no? It's all in how you interpret the EULA and Microsoft's licensing terms. I personally have no problem using my personal install media to install Windows on somebody else's PC while using their product code. The embedded codes in Windows 8 PC's make it even easier. No searching for a COA sticker or finding a COA sticker that you can't read. IMHO the factory recovery partitions just don't cut it in the real world. If your MBR gets hosed you have no way of doing the recovery. Upgrading and or swapping out your hard drive is an issue too. When I put an SSD in my laptop the recovery USB thumb drive I made would not restore to the SSD. I had to do a clean install. That meant hunting up install media. No easy feat I might add, as the OP has found out.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Education 64 Bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Asus
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II X4 980 Black Edition Deneb 3.7GHz
    Motherboard
    ASUS M4N68T-M V2 µATX Motherboard
    Memory
    8GB 4GBx2 Kingston PC10600 DDR3 1333 Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA Geforce GT640 2 Gig DDR3 PCIe
    Sound Card
    VIA VT1708s High Definition Audio 8-channel Onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    22" LG E2242 1080p and 2 19" I-INC AG191D
    Screen Resolution
    1280x1024 - 1920x1080 - 1280x1024
    Hard Drives
    Crucial MX100 256 GB SSD and 500 GB WD Blue SATA
    PSU
    Thermaltake TR 620
    Case
    Power Up Black ATX Mid-Tower Case
    Cooling
    Stock heatsink fan
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wireless K350 Wave
    Mouse
    Logitech M570 Trackball and T650 TouchPad
    Internet Speed
    80 Mbps Down 30 Mbps Up
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    HP DVD1040e Lightscribe - External USB2
Hi there
If you are using your ISO as a tool to repair / install windows on another machine (for which a license exists) I can't see what's wrong whatever the crummy lawyers say -- nobody has "stolen" any money.

It could be considered the same as taking a BMW to the nearest garage for an emergency repair when the Garage is say a FORD one. I doubt if you care WHO fixes your car if you had broken down -- same with your PC -- so long as it gets fixed are you bothered on HOW it was done.

However tell your guy to TAKE A BACKUP IMAGE once the machine is fixed.

I have about 12 "Clones" of a Windows 8 VM - identical "Virtual Hardware" for which there is ONE license -- but I only run these VM's ONE at a time so AFAIK I'm not actually breaking the EULA. Ms is a bit circumspect over the whole idea of Virtual machines anyway.

This sort of stuff is a "Grey area" -- you'll have to rely on "between you and your maker" on how you interpret what's allowable and what's not.

Cheers
jimbo

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    SSD's * 3 (Samsung 840 series) 250 GB
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)
Hi there
If you are using your ISO as a tool to repair / install windows on another machine (for which a license exists) I can't see what's wrong whatever the crummy lawyers say -- nobody has "stolen" any money.
I have to agree with you on this. The license "to me" is the only thing that matters. As long as you aren't walking into a physical store and physically stealing a copy of the media, I don't see where anything has been done wrong. If you buy a computer and later call the manufacturer and get a reinstall disk, what guarantee do you have that it's the exact disk for that exact computer. The discs are all the same, as long as you have a license key that is valid and legit I simply cannot see where anything has been done wrong.

It's like buying digital software, installing it and then later having to redownload it again to reinstall again. As long as you have the key, who cares if this was your third download of the same thing.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Intel Q9550 2.83Ghz OC'd to 3.40Ghz
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R rev. 1.1, F12 BIOS
    Memory
    8GB G.Skill PI DDR2-800, 4-4-4-12 timings
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA 1280MB Nvidia GeForce GTX570
    Sound Card
    Realtek ALC899A 8 channel onboard audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Intel X25-M 80GB Gen 2 SSD
    Western Digital 1TB Caviar Black, 32MB cache. WD1001FALS
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info
    Windows and Linux enthusiast. Logitech G35 Headset.
Great! Don't forget to give rep points to the ones who helped you most!

alphanumeric said:
I personally have no problem using my personal install media to install Windows on somebody else's PC while using their product code. The embedded codes in Windows 8 PC's make it even easier. No searching for a COA sticker or finding a COA sticker that you can't read. IMHO the factory recovery partitions just don't cut it in the real world. If your MBR gets hosed you have no way of doing the recovery. Upgrading and or swapping out your hard drive is an issue too. When I put an SSD in my laptop the recovery USB thumb drive I made would not restore to the SSD. I had to do a clean install. That meant hunting up install media. No easy feat I might add, as the OP has found out.

Yep! I'm not that lucky, I have two old Asus M2N boards, one of of them proprietary for an old HP. I rememebr when this HP was brand new, it was beautiful, running Media Centre. It's got a Falcon TV card in it, unfortunately, it requires some kind of remote to use it, other than that, it detects, and it shows up in Media Center. But you cannot program it without the remote.

Actually that PC was bought by a shop, I told a guy to get it. It finally fried, but I was able to resurrect the motherboard, and I got him something better and newer.Of all of the HP systems I have ever dealt with, this one has shown the most resilience, it ran XP MCE Vista 7 and now 8. Just somethng about the combination of hardware I got, makes is haul arse, so I've used it for media streaming for the last 3 years - When I aquired the Box, I was intending to just strip out the RAM and CPU and use them in something else, but I saw a couple of easily repairable issues on the MB and I dealt with it, and the board then fired right up into the BIOS.

I wish the BIOS was a little mroe sophisticated, it is dumbed down for HP users. As opposed to Dell BIOS, which are colplicated now and look like LCARS terminals and if you choose something wrong is can mess you up quickly.

Yah, normally, when I look for media on the net, I always get unaltered ISO images. There are always ways to beat activation, and I can't lie and say I've never used them, but I have my own licenses for all of my OS's.

Sometimes, when I make a repair to a customer's system, I have to do something a little out of the ordinary. I always make sure to tell them, they have to buy the proper licences. I've had a lot of trouble, cos these systems are normally OEM boxes with a Product Key on the side. Yet, when I try to use that Product key for a reinstall - Using the supplied Install Disk, which always insisted they get - It would REFUSE to even accept the key during installation! Or, it would not activate, and would say the Licence is bad. How can it be bad, if it is the licence which came with the system?!?! Grr! In some cases, I called MS and they gave me the right license, other times they basically would not do anything, it depended on who I got on the phone.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro with Media Center/Windows 7
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Asus M2N-MX SE Plus § DualCore AMD Athlon 64 X2, 2300 MHz (11.5 x 200) 4400+ § Corsair Value Select
    CPU
    AMD 4400+/4200+
    Motherboard
    Asus M2N-MX SE Plus/Asus A8M2N-LA (NodusM)
    Memory
    2 GB/3GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    GeForce 8400 GS/GeForce 210
    Sound Card
    nVIDIA GT218 - High Definition Audio Controller
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Hitachi 40" LCD HDTV
    Screen Resolution
    "1842 x 1036"
    Hard Drives
    WDC WD50 00AAKS-007AA SCSI Disk Device
    ST1000DL 002-9TT153 SCSI Disk Device
    WDC WD3200AAJB-00J3A0 ATA Device
    WDC WD32 WD-WCAPZ2942630 USB Device
    WD My Book 1140 USB Device
    PSU
    Works 550w
    Case
    MSI "M-Box"
    Cooling
    Water Cooled
    Keyboard
    Dell Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Intellimouse
    Internet Speed
    Cable Medium Speed
    Browser
    Chrome/IE 10
    Antivirus
    Eset NOD32 6.x/Win Defend
    Other Info
    Recently lost my Windows 8 on my main PC, had to go back to Windows 7.
@ XweAponX, I sent you a PM. :)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Education 64 Bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Asus
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II X4 980 Black Edition Deneb 3.7GHz
    Motherboard
    ASUS M4N68T-M V2 µATX Motherboard
    Memory
    8GB 4GBx2 Kingston PC10600 DDR3 1333 Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA Geforce GT640 2 Gig DDR3 PCIe
    Sound Card
    VIA VT1708s High Definition Audio 8-channel Onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    22" LG E2242 1080p and 2 19" I-INC AG191D
    Screen Resolution
    1280x1024 - 1920x1080 - 1280x1024
    Hard Drives
    Crucial MX100 256 GB SSD and 500 GB WD Blue SATA
    PSU
    Thermaltake TR 620
    Case
    Power Up Black ATX Mid-Tower Case
    Cooling
    Stock heatsink fan
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wireless K350 Wave
    Mouse
    Logitech M570 Trackball and T650 TouchPad
    Internet Speed
    80 Mbps Down 30 Mbps Up
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    HP DVD1040e Lightscribe - External USB2
yah great thanx responded

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro with Media Center/Windows 7
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Asus M2N-MX SE Plus § DualCore AMD Athlon 64 X2, 2300 MHz (11.5 x 200) 4400+ § Corsair Value Select
    CPU
    AMD 4400+/4200+
    Motherboard
    Asus M2N-MX SE Plus/Asus A8M2N-LA (NodusM)
    Memory
    2 GB/3GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    GeForce 8400 GS/GeForce 210
    Sound Card
    nVIDIA GT218 - High Definition Audio Controller
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Hitachi 40" LCD HDTV
    Screen Resolution
    "1842 x 1036"
    Hard Drives
    WDC WD50 00AAKS-007AA SCSI Disk Device
    ST1000DL 002-9TT153 SCSI Disk Device
    WDC WD3200AAJB-00J3A0 ATA Device
    WDC WD32 WD-WCAPZ2942630 USB Device
    WD My Book 1140 USB Device
    PSU
    Works 550w
    Case
    MSI "M-Box"
    Cooling
    Water Cooled
    Keyboard
    Dell Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Intellimouse
    Internet Speed
    Cable Medium Speed
    Browser
    Chrome/IE 10
    Antivirus
    Eset NOD32 6.x/Win Defend
    Other Info
    Recently lost my Windows 8 on my main PC, had to go back to Windows 7.
Back