Windows 8 is depressing PC sales in record numbers

PC sales are plummeting because consumers are confused and unhappy with Windows 8, and there's no end in sight. So concludes an IDC report, which says the sinking sales are the worst it's ever seen.
O'Donnell adds that he doesn't expect Microsoft to admit its mistakes and make significant changes, telling the Seattle Times:
"I think this is the pride before the fall – because they are unwilling to make those changes, because it would show them as having given up or lost on their radical new vision."​
Windows 8 is depressing PC sales in record numbers, warns IDC | Computerworld Blogs

Do you think M$ will get its head out of the sand any time soon?

For the "desktop luddites" :geek: out there, why do you think even Microsoft has said for a VERY long time that Windows 8 is a new Windows for new PCs? Do you REALLY think the new PCs being referred to by them are actually desktops?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    1 TB Seagate Barracuda (starting to hate Seagate)
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    Windows 8.1 is installed on a SanDisk Ultra Plus 256 GB
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Arctic Cooler with 3 heatpipes
    Keyboard
    Logitech K750 wireless solar powered keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, but I might go back on KIS 2014
Wow, you're VERY misinformed about the common person...

It's more like, "Whoa, what is this? It has touch? I can use a PC with touch? I should buy my spouse this as this is pretty neat to use."

Ect., ect., ect....

If that were the case that people go with android or ios, why is that someone I know with a Surface RT is giving up their laptop?

Absolutely correct and then they go and buy an iPad or Android tablet, because that's what everyone else uses etc, etc, etc (it's not ect).

You know one person who is getting an RT? Halleluiah! RT sales just shot up by 10%.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64
Wow, you're VERY misinformed about the common person...

It's more like, "Whoa, what is this? It has touch? I can use a PC with touch? I should buy my spouse this as this is pretty neat to use."

Ect., ect., ect....

If that were the case that people go with android or ios, why is that someone I know with a Surface RT is giving up their laptop?

Absolutely correct and then they go and buy an iPad or Android tablet, because that's what everyone else uses etc, etc, etc (it's not ect).

You know one person who is getting an RT? Halleluiah! RT sales just shot up by 10%.
Actually, the lady I know with a Surface RT got that as a birthday gift from here daughter that does medical software programming...

And then there are the few people here who do have RT tablets... But it does go to show to me at least, that something like Windows RT can replace a person's use of a somewhat older laptop. The person I know uses Word and Excel on the RT as well as general internet feasting, which is what RT was basically designed to do.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
It's a good thing your friend didn't know about this, or she may have been toting an Apple/Android device: The Best Office Suite Alternatives For Android | Redmond Pie.

Let's hope that she doesn't find out and that you encouraged her to buy an RT.

Ummmm..... you should read a bit more because I already said the lady I know with the Surface RT got it last month for a birthday gift, from her DAUGHTER. Maybe it's time to go to bed and take nap?

And all those "alternatives" on android are smartphone variants, not full out Office 2013 Home and Student. That isn't NO WHERE near ANYWHERE in the Samsung galaxy close to what android has.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
Ummmm..... you should read a bit more because I already said the lady I know with the Surface RT got it last month for a birthday gift, from her DAUGHTER. Maybe it's time to go to bed and take nap?

You said the following:

Actually, the lady I know with a Surface RT got that as a birthday gift from here daughter that does medical software programming...

I said:

Let's hope that she [here daughter] doesn't find out and that you encouraged her [here daughter] to buy an RT.

See the connection?

Also:

And all those "alternatives" on android are smartphone variants, not full out Office 2013 Home and Student. That isn't NO WHERE near ANYWHERE in the Samsung galaxy close to what android has.

But it may suffice. That last sentence is quite embarrassing.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64

You said the following:

I said:

Let's hope that she [here daughter] doesn't find out and that you encouraged her [here daughter] to buy an RT.

See the connection?

Also:

No, I don't see the connection as that's a typo....

You seriously must be part of the main stream 24/7 news media as honestly, I've never seen so hell bent in twisting words around.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus

You said the following:

I said:

See the connection?

Also:

No, I don't see the connection as that's a typo....

You seriously must be part of the main stream 24/7 news media as honestly, I've never seen so hell bent in twisting words around.

I can see now why you like simple things, such as touch.

My Computer

System One

• OS
Easy != simple.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom
    CPU
    Intel Core i7 4790K @ 4.5GHz
    Motherboard
    Asus Maximus Hero VII
    Memory
    32GB DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia GeForce GTX970
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD Audio
    Hard Drives
    1x Samsung 250GB SSD
    4x WD RE 2TB (RAIDZ)
    PSU
    Corsair AX760i
    Case
    Fractal Design Define R4
    Cooling
    Noctua NH-D15
Hi there
I think the on going dialog between Ray8 and Coke Robot here should be moved to a Face book link so we could all also see their facial expressions while they are composing their responses to each other.

I'm sure it would be quite enjoyable - and probably better than watching standard Saturday night TV.

Cheers

jimbo

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    SSD's * 3 (Samsung 840 series) 250 GB
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)
Hi there
I think the on going dialog between Ray8 and Coke Robot here should be moved to a Face book link so we could all also see their facial expressions while they are composing their responses to each other.
I'm sure it would be quite enjoyable - and probably better than watching standard Saturday night TV.
Cheers
jimbo
That wouldn't work. I'm not on facebook, twitter or any of those 'social' media sites. My facial expression every time I read and respond to robot's posts is one of genuine bemusement. I often think that I should give him a break, but then I think if I did that, he'll never learn anything from the world of hard knocks. Kids need to experience some pain before they start to learn a bit of common sense (though some take much longer than others).

My Computer

System One

• OS
Hi there

Cheers

jimbo

Lol, Jim! The scary thing is that I think they may like each other! I mean opposites attract, right? Like Laurel and Hardy. It gets to be quite amusing indeed. :p

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Intel Pentium D Dual Core
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3000 - PCI Express x16
    Sound Card
    Integrated RealTek ALC888 high-definition audio with 7.1 channel audio support
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    350 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Desktop 7.2" (183mm) W x 17.5" (445mm) L x 14.5"
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
    Office Pro 2013 / Nokia Lumia 1520 Windows Phone 8.1DP GDR1
Hi there

Cheers

jimbo

Lol, Jim! The scary thing is that I think they may like each other! I mean opposites attract, right? Like Laurel and Hardy. It gets to be quite amusing indeed. :p

Hi there
the opposites thing though might be more of a Dr. Jekyll and Mr Hyde syndrome -- haven't made out my mind which is which yet -- or perhaps they both take it in turns.

Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Cheers
jimbo

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    SSD's * 3 (Samsung 840 series) 250 GB
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)
Hi there

Cheers

jimbo
Insufferable is how I'd put it....

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
Coke said:
For the "desktop luddites" out there, why do you think even Microsoft has said for a VERY long time that Windows 8 is a new Windows for new PCs? Do you REALLY think the new PCs being referred to by them are actually desktops?
Yes, because my next new PC will be a tower/desktop PC. Not even a laptop, can you imagine.
At the computer store they had maybe 50 kind of laptop and tablets of all transitional sizes. and only 3 tower PC. But tower PCs are custome made and don't need to stay on the shelves, save for the urgent purchases.
Personaly I'm not exited by all these portable devices: input is input. The software is far more important IMO.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    w9x
Back