Windows 8 is Awful

I've tweaked it until it isn't that much different from XP Pro.
Windows Paint has new features.
DISM is nice.
I use the metro screen as a screen-saver.
Enabling the boot menu in bios helps.(F-12 to get into boot menu at restart)

DISM is awesome!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit
    Computer type
    Laptop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Acer V3 771G-6443
    CPU
    i5-3230m
    Motherboard
    Acer VA70_HC (U3E1)
    Memory
    8GB DDR3 PC3-12800 (800 MHz)
    Graphics Card(s)
    HD4000 + GeForce GT 730M
    Sound Card
    Realtek High Definition Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    17" Generic PnP Display on Intel HD Graphics 4000
    Screen Resolution
    1600x900 pixels
    Hard Drives
    Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250 GB
    ADATA SSD SP900 128GB
    PSU
    90 watt brick
    Mouse
    Bluetooth
    Antivirus
    Comodo
    Other Info
    Asus RT-AC56R dual-band WRT router (Merlin firmware). Intel 7260.HMWWB.R dual-band ac wireless adapter.
ekessler43— Why is "Windows 8 is the worst OS it has ever been my misfortune to be forced to use."
I was forced to use 8 when my brother gave me a pc with 8 installed. Between google, other sites and Eight Forums 8 has been easy to customize AuNatural without 3rd party software.
Check out this page 8 Forums Tutorials for all kinds of shortcuts, context menu and other tutorials

These may make life with 8 easier.

1— Make the 'Desktop' tile first (upper left corner) on your Start screen. Now press Enter key whenever you are in Start screen and your Desktop will open.

2This 'Programs Toolbar' is not the Start button you are use to but it may help you ease into 8. It's basically the left half showing Programs only. Once you create this toolbar, click it and see the similarity. From jimbo45.

1) on the bottom taskbar right mouse click ==> toolbars===>create new toolbar
2) enter %ProgramData%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs in the select folder
3) press the select folder button
Now in the bottom taskbar you'll see Programs with a >> sign
click on the >> and you'll see a list of your pgms in classical menu style -- what's difficult about that --you don't even have to go near the start screen / charms etc once you've booted.

3— The 'Desktop Toolbar' is like the right half showing Computer, Control Panel ... to create it just right click your Taskbar, hover over Toolbars and checkmark Desktop

4"Start" Screen Shortcut - Create in Windows 8 I prefer the Start screen tiles vs small text of Start menu. I have this shortcut using the 'orb' :orb: on my taskbar. So now you can see start screen by pressing the Winkey, mouse over lower left corner, or this shortcut pinned to your taskbar.

5"All Apps" Shortcut - Create in Windows 8 Normally to see 'All apps' you have to do a right click on the Start screen and click 'All apps' in the lower right corner. With this shortcut :winkey: (mine is white) pinned to your Start screen and/or Taskbar it is easier.

6"Pin to Start" Files in Windows 8 This makes life with 8 easier. This will allow you to pin individual .rtf, .txt, .jpg ...documents to your start screen with your right click context menu. Which not only allows you quick access from the start screen. It allows you to pin any file or document to your taskbar.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    i7-3770K
    Motherboard
    ASRock Z77 Extreme4
    Memory
    16 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    17" 24"
    Hard Drives
    1 TB WD
    PSU
    550w
Actually, if you don't like 8 then you'll like 8.1 even less. But either one can be made to look and act like Windows 7 using the proper mods. Start8, Classic Shell, Thinix, Startisback, all decent replacements for the missing Start Menu. I like Start8 the most, as it boots direct to desktop and avoids the "Lock Screen"

I was expecting to despise windows 8 but I found Start8 right away and got it. Now I like it more than 7, although I miss the Transparency of 7. I had to get used to the higher level of security on the Program Files and Windows folders.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro with Media Center/Windows 7
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Asus M2N-MX SE Plus § DualCore AMD Athlon 64 X2, 2300 MHz (11.5 x 200) 4400+ § Corsair Value Select
    CPU
    AMD 4400+/4200+
    Motherboard
    Asus M2N-MX SE Plus/Asus A8M2N-LA (NodusM)
    Memory
    2 GB/3GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    GeForce 8400 GS/GeForce 210
    Sound Card
    nVIDIA GT218 - High Definition Audio Controller
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Hitachi 40" LCD HDTV
    Screen Resolution
    "1842 x 1036"
    Hard Drives
    WDC WD50 00AAKS-007AA SCSI Disk Device
    ST1000DL 002-9TT153 SCSI Disk Device
    WDC WD3200AAJB-00J3A0 ATA Device
    WDC WD32 WD-WCAPZ2942630 USB Device
    WD My Book 1140 USB Device
    PSU
    Works 550w
    Case
    MSI "M-Box"
    Cooling
    Water Cooled
    Keyboard
    Dell Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Intellimouse
    Internet Speed
    Cable Medium Speed
    Browser
    Chrome/IE 10
    Antivirus
    Eset NOD32 6.x/Win Defend
    Other Info
    Recently lost my Windows 8 on my main PC, had to go back to Windows 7.
Yea, I use Win8/8.1 my way--with classic shell, boot to desktop (btw, I discovered that with Classic Shell 3.9.3 beta, the boot to desktop setting trumps the Win8.1 boot to desktop task bar option, which surprised me*--but it doesn't hurt to have them both set to boot to deskop)--you don't really ever have to see the "Modern UI" unless you choose to see it. Personally, I don't recommend it, as it is dumbed down and if you don't have a touchscreen it's always all but useless.

That said, Win8/8.1 x64 is clearly superior to Win7x64, imo. A few weeks ago I reinstalled Win7 to a separate boot partition just to kind of reminisce and more directly compare the two. Win8 is faster, leaner, and sleeker and has standard features not available in Win7 that I like a bunch, like the automatic mounting of .iso's, for instance--immeasurably better than hacking Win7 with Deamon Tools (or whatever it is.) I'm surprised, really, how much I've come to rely on and use that feature. But that's just one good thing 8 has that 7 doesn't offer.

8.1 seems to be trying to force me into Metro/Modern more often than 8.0, but I'm resisting and getting around it for the most part.

I prefer 8/8.1 to Win7, frankly--but again, that is only after I set it up my way (and had Metro-whatever hit the highway)... Get out of the "new" UI and you'll like Win8 just fine. Really...;)

*I unchecked the "skip Metro start screen" option in Classic Shell 3.9.3b, but set the "boot to desktop" option in the 8.1 task bar--and the system booted to the start screen, anyway. I only use the start-button/menu feature of Classic Shell--don't care for the other CS features.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    UEFI install of Win8.1 x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    self-crafted
    CPU
    FX-6300 @4.515Ghz
    Motherboard
    MSI 970a-G46
    Memory
    8 GB DDR3 (2x4) 1600 @ 1800
    Graphics Card(s)
    2GB HD 7850 @1.05GHz core/6GB/s ram
    Sound Card
    RealTek 892
    Monitor(s) Displays
    HannsG HZ281
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1200
    Hard Drives
    Seagate 320GB sata2 boot UEFI install of 8.1 x64;
    1TB WD Blue SATA 3;
    Seagate 2x 500GB sata2's in RAID 0
    PSU
    Corsair GS600
    Case
    LIan Li
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    Logitech Internet k-board
    Mouse
    Microsoft Sidewinder
    Internet Speed
    VDSL
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    built into OS MSE/Defender
    Other Info
    Had a brain amputation followed up by an all-lobe "clean-up" lobotomy last year, am doing fine. Life is so much simpler, now.
I've tried most all the start button/menu replacements, and to my tastes StartIsBack is the best of the lot. The Start Button/Menu functionality is identical to that of Windows 7 out of the box as far as I can tell, but it's very customizable. You can boot straight to the desktop, with no little flicker or momentary appearance of the Start Screen like you get with some of the others. You can turn off the hot corners. You can turn off desktop apps appearing in the Start Screen, so all you see is your Metro apps there. You can even set it to show the taskbar in the Start Screen.

Of course, all of this goodness comes at a heavy cost :)... $3.00 for a lifetime license, including all updates, including StartIsBack Plus for Windows 8.1.

I have nothing to do with the outfit that makes this - just a very happy customer.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Compac Presario SR5518F
    CPU
    Dual Pentium E2180 (2 GHz)
    Motherboard
    MS-7525 (Boston)
    Memory
    4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia GeForce 8500 GT
(btw, I discovered that with Classic Shell 3.9.3 beta, the boot to desktop setting trumps the Win8.1 boot to desktop task bar option, which surprised me*--but it doesn't hurt to have them both set to boot to deskop)
In Windows 8.1 the "boot to desktop" setting in Classic Shell controls the OS setting.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
(btw, I discovered that with Classic Shell 3.9.3 beta, the boot to desktop setting trumps the Win8.1 boot to desktop task bar option, which surprised me*--but it doesn't hurt to have them both set to boot to deskop)
In Windows 8.1 the "boot to desktop" setting in Classic Shell controls the OS setting.

And it does that very well IMHO. Your beta 3.9.3 is working nicely BTW.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    Intel G2020
    Motherboard
    ASRock B75M-DGS R2.0
    Memory
    8GBs @ 1333 MHz