Windows 8 haters

Does windows 8 suck?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I think this poll is skewed by the forum's population: The people here have made peace with Windows 8 and are trying to make the best of it.

Windows 8 is the most stable and reliable OS I've ever used (my last was XP). On the other hand, the metro side of the OS is to me completely wrong for a PC with a keyboard. I use Classic Shell and stay completely within the old desktop environment and I am happy.

On the other hand, less geeky users must just freak out when they are torn away from their old desktop and jammed into the metro environment. The hate for Win 8 is completely understandable. We here have to understand that the vast majority of users don't care one hoot about the nuances of the metro UI and how it may portend the future, they only want to slog through their daily grind without drama.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 consumer 64 bit
    Computer type
    Laptop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Acer Aspire M5 481PT-6644
    CPU
    Intel Core I5
    Memory
    6 GB
    Hard Drives
    Spinning/SSD hybrid 500GB/20GB
    Mouse
    ELAN Trackpad
    Internet Speed
    18mbs/5mbs
    Browser
    Chrome
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
The answer to the poll will be greatly influenced by various factors .. particularly third-party add-ons / whether you use touch etc

I am partial to David's, Popeye's, whs' and jimbo's comments :)

anyway.. a spoiled vote from me I'm afraid...

My Computer

System One

• OS
    PC-DOS v1.0
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    IBM
    CPU
    Intel 8088, 4.77MHz
    Memory
    16K, 640K max
    Graphics Card(s)
    What's that?
    Sound Card
    Not quite
    Screen Resolution
    80 X 24 text
    Hard Drives
    dual 160KB 5.25-inch disk drives
Now, I don't have windows 8 as an actual OS, but I use it as a vm on my crappy 1gb of ram laptop.
for my experience it is one of the best if not the best operating systems ever.
and yes, things do grow on you. Watch osfirstimer's best and worst os's and watch getting a new laptop.
big difference.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Lenovo
    CPU
    Intel pentium
    Motherboard
    N/A
    Memory
    4gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel OBG
    Sound Card
    Realtek OBS
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Touch led screen
    Screen Resolution
    1366x768
    Hard Drives
    500gb
It's a great OS, Windows 8 with the Start Screen is what brought me back to Windows

I do prefer the original 8.1 to the latest update of it

Shame that MS is going to ruin 9 and take away Windows 8's best features, for me

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Dell Inspiron 3521
    CPU
    i5
    Memory
    4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD Radeon
    Browser
    IE
I'm typically a gnu/Linux user. I've recently bought a surface pro 3 for artist work and the other windows programs I used to use. It is taking me a while to get used to the interface. Too be honest I have no problem with metro, what does bother me is that desktop app integration to metro is not complete. I was expecting metro to do the necessary tweaks etc to programs to make them look good; not programs having to be rebuilt to integrate them.​

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Slackware
I wasn't crazy about it at 1st. The lack of the start button menu was a major factor in my dislike of it initially. It does seem to perform faster then Win 7 & some of the features are nice, once you get used to them. I did like it a lot better after installing Classic shell.

Why MS decided to ditch the start menu feature after so many prior versions, is something only MS knows. I don't believe it was a good move on their part & if they were trying to usher in a new way of computing, they should have at least given users the option to revert to "classic" windows style, such as was present on previous systems.

No matter, the subject has been rendered academic. All in all, once you get used to it (as with most things) it is a nice, faster OS.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 7 32, Win 7 64 Pro, Win 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    It's a Dell, Dude.
    CPU
    Intel Caffinated Core Duo
    Motherboard
    Father is bored too.
    Memory
    4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVidia something-or-another
    Monitor(s) Displays
    24" HD TV/Monitor/Alternative Dimensional Viewing Portal
    Screen Resolution
    Fuzzy after a couple drinks
    Hard Drives
    2 or 3, depending on if it's a night they're arguing about having a "split personality crisis" because I partitioned the drive.
    Case
    Don't get on my case....man
    Cooling
    Scotch on the rocks on the weekends..
    Keyboard
    Mad Catz Cyborg V7. Or maybe Cyborg Catz Are Mad At V7's??? I know it lights up...far out.
    Mouse
    currently being stalked by the cat...
    Internet Speed
    Never fast enough...
    Browser
    Defeated by Mario...wait...OH...BRowser...
    Antivirus
    Various
I'm assuming the poll is for 8.x, meaning 8 and 8.1 and will use 8.x as meaning both. I voted no. I liked it from the get go. I see many have changed their minds over the months since releases.

Looking at the "big picture" I'll include both the technical and business points of view.

Looking back with both points of view in mind > 8 the way it was released was one of the biggest mistakes in computing ever. Rather more of a marketing bomb via the technical learning curve. A real Ballmer and Sinofsky boner. Although others and I found it to be a refreshing change, the majority did not. Too drastic and confusing change for many. Personally I didn't realize that until the release of 8.1 and listening to opinions of others, especially here on the forums. Couldn't agree more that 8 should have been 8.1. Perhaps even including Update 1. That would've made the transition much easier. Suggestions just as Cokie made such as a Desktop, File Explorer, Control Panel, and other tiles should have been included on the Start Screen by default. Those could be eliminated by choice once learned how to open via other menus or Charms bar.

From a technical point of view, 8.x are as stable as 7 using smaller OS kernel footprint and approximately the same resources, but containing many more features starting with a faster boot with transmitting personal data via the Start Screen upon boot in real time. http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/16379-real-quality-boot-time-8-verses-7-a.html Of course there are many other features of the system, which are too numerous to mention, but here are a few scenarios below.

Once learned, overall the Modern/Metro system is quicker with receiving and transmitting data versus the past desktop OS systems. By data meaning many types of files > Office, CAD, XPS/PDF, pics/screenshots/snips, and the like via any medium > email, text messaging, OneDrive public folder, fax, Skype, or personal messaging. That's not to say they're all included as choices in Charms > yet. I foresee a day they will be.

Snip.PNG

We can include the original state of the Modern/Metro Store apps in the Ballmer/Sinofsky mistake by pushing the system out the door too soon, but with time via updates the apps have come along quite nicely. The way they work in conjunction of one another via Charms is a marvel and a joy to use. I'm whole heartedly convinced with this approach and can no longer be convinced otherwise.

Can all this be performed on a desktop system? Of course, but with many more time-consuming steps. e.g. Scenario #1 > When Office is released in Modern/Metro and one has just completed a letter in Word to send off > While still viewing the letter in Office/Word > Charms bar > Share > Pick medium to send with. I’ll choose email.

Snip1.PNG

Start to type recipients name or address (if it is in one’s People app (contacts), it finds automatically filtering via dropdown list > choose name)

Snip2.PNG

Alt/S or “Send” sends the letter off via that medium without opening the email app to do so. It's all performed on one screen via Charms.

Versus Win32 Desktop system

Save the letter (Word file/.Docx) > Close it out for it can’t be accessed as attachment unless it is (may leave Word open) > Open email client program (either via Start Menu, Taskbar, or desktop shortcut. If latter, minimize Office if kept open) select "New email" > Type recipients address (unless linked to contacts as described above, then look for it if not memorized OR go to contacts to right-click to choose "Send email" then wait for the email program to open) > Click “Attach” > Find file scrolling through File Explorer window > Send. How much clicking/navigating will that take? How many screens will that take?

Bottom line > I'll have that letter sent before one can open an email client and/or contacts after all the time it takes to find their links.

Scenario #2:

We have a friend that came in from France that doesn't speak English so well and we don't speak French well. He offers to go to the store while we're at work to get the groceries for dinner. I type up a list in English using Word and use MS Translator app within Word to convert to French.

Snip3.PNG

It doesn’t exactly retain as a list, but I can copy/paste that under the English list to make it a list again.

Snip4.PNG

I then proceed to email him the list via Charms of which he receives with his smart phone.

Snip5.PNG

Which system will perform this task quicker?

BTW, here’s the new radial editing menu in Modern/Metro Store OneNote which I think will be included in Modern/Metro Office:

Snip6.PNG

OneNote Help

Most likely they will further the system more with 9. Business wise, MS continues to be far ahead of their competitors with their platform of similar OSs to run on multiple platforms/devices for a similar experience and methodology of receiving and transmitting data. Including their services also.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Intel Pentium D Dual Core
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3000 - PCI Express x16
    Sound Card
    Integrated RealTek ALC888 high-definition audio with 7.1 channel audio support
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    350 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Desktop 7.2" (183mm) W x 17.5" (445mm) L x 14.5"
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
    Office Pro 2013 / Nokia Lumia 1520 Windows Phone 8.1DP GDR1
I hope they keep the start screen in windows 9, because that's one of the main reasons i like windows 8.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    185.2 KB · Views: 52
  • Start-Screen.png
    Start-Screen.png
    84.1 KB · Views: 53

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Lenovo
    CPU
    Intel pentium
    Motherboard
    N/A
    Memory
    4gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel OBG
    Sound Card
    Realtek OBS
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Touch led screen
    Screen Resolution
    1366x768
    Hard Drives
    500gb
same for me, the start screen is what I like in 8, I do have a feeling though that it wont be the same in 9

just over 2 weeks and we should find out what MS has in store for us

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Dell Inspiron 3521
    CPU
    i5
    Memory
    4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD Radeon
    Browser
    IE
I didn't like 8.0 much, but I do like the changes made in 8.1. I'm now running it on all my PC's.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Education 64 Bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Asus
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II X4 980 Black Edition Deneb 3.7GHz
    Motherboard
    ASUS M4N68T-M V2 µATX Motherboard
    Memory
    8GB 4GBx2 Kingston PC10600 DDR3 1333 Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA Geforce GT640 2 Gig DDR3 PCIe
    Sound Card
    VIA VT1708s High Definition Audio 8-channel Onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    22" LG E2242 1080p and 2 19" I-INC AG191D
    Screen Resolution
    1280x1024 - 1920x1080 - 1280x1024
    Hard Drives
    Crucial MX100 256 GB SSD and 500 GB WD Blue SATA
    PSU
    Thermaltake TR 620
    Case
    Power Up Black ATX Mid-Tower Case
    Cooling
    Stock heatsink fan
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wireless K350 Wave
    Mouse
    Logitech M570 Trackball and T650 TouchPad
    Internet Speed
    80 Mbps Down 30 Mbps Up
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    HP DVD1040e Lightscribe - External USB2
Yesterday I have installed my original hard drive with Win 8 out of boredom, I love it, even with the 500GB Seagate hard drive it's quite fast except for start up, I have retained all original drivers and very pleased with the graphics, fonts, screen brightness, audio performance and WMP, for my needs W8 seems fine :D

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8.1
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Acer Aspire E1-571
    CPU
    i5-3230m
    Motherboard
    Acer Type-2
    Memory
    8GB DDR3 1333MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel HD 4000
    Sound Card
    High Definiton Audio Device
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Generic
    Screen Resolution
    1366x768
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 850 Pro 256GB
    PSU
    Generic
    Keyboard
    QWERTY
    Mouse
    ELANTECH Touchpad
    Internet Speed
    12.68Mbps
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
Welcome to Windows EightForums, Jenkler. :)

Did you forget to vote?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Intel Pentium D Dual Core
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3000 - PCI Express x16
    Sound Card
    Integrated RealTek ALC888 high-definition audio with 7.1 channel audio support
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    350 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Desktop 7.2" (183mm) W x 17.5" (445mm) L x 14.5"
    Cooling