Windows 8 Hangs/Freezes Splash Screen

I tried that method theog and still had the same results: Freezing at the teal windows 8 logo screen.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8/7
    CPU
    AMD A8-5600K
    Motherboard
    FM2-A75MA-E35
    Memory
    8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    RAEDON HD 5570
    Monitor(s) Displays
    ELEMENT 32" / PHILLIPS 32"
    Screen Resolution
    1360x768 / 1360X768
    Hard Drives
    500GB WD GREEN
    1TB WD BLUE
    Case
    ROSEWILL CHALLENGER
    Keyboard
    STEEL SERIES Z-BOARD
    Mouse
    RAZER NAGA
Repost of my answer on Technet;

I had the same experience trying to install Window 8 Pro 64bit (Build 9200) on an old XP SP3 32bit system, but I somehow got it working; the full story.

I had two XP Sp3 32 bit systems I wanted to upgrade to Window 8 Pro 64 bit (with the $40 upgrade deal available now). System#1 is: I7 920/Asus P6T deluxe/EVGA 560Ti/3GB/1 TB SATA 300 drive/1.44 Floppy/ 12X Bluray burner (pulled the old TV tuner card for upgrade-incompatible). I ran the Windows 8 upgrade advisor - very few issues (TV Tuner card as mentioned and other software) - bought the upgrade. Downloaded the upgrade from my Win7Pro 64bit system to obtain the 64bit ISO (2.69GB) - burned to DVD. Installed from DVD; no problems, finished in under 20 minutes - working great (really fast boot!).

System#2 is: Opteron 180/Asus A8N-E/EVGA 275GTX/2GB/1 TB SATA 300 drive/ 1.44 Floppy/ 16X DVD RW burner; the Windows 8 upgrade advisor - more incompatible software than system#1, but no incompatible hardware. I had read a number of blogs concerning the issues others were having with the upgrade failing, so before I purchased, I thought I would run the 64bit install DVD I had (known to work on the other system) to see if it worked. I should note this system was not-in-use and thus I was not worried if the install failed (I'd just be annoyed!). Ran the install from the DVD; initial splash screen - no spinning dots - waited 15 minutes (by which time no activity on DVD or hard drive) - failure. Rebooted - entered bios (1010) - tried many combinations of settings up to disabling nearly everything (NVRAID, Legacy USB, Floppy, Audio97- all disabled / moved SATA into every port (1-4) / tried SATA 150 and SATA 300 - no change - failure X4 attempts. Now original XP3 installation is corrupted (GRRRR!) - I should have imaged the drive BEFORE - oh well. Read more about others experience with this seemingly NForce board-related issue. Plan B - I will try install with an IDE (PATA) hard drive (80GB) - failure. Read more - some mention Window 8 installer not "liking" XP partitions / disks (???); Plan C - Re-partition / format / check 80 GB IDE drive with WDTools - attempted Win8Pro install - failure. Dejected; last attempt before considering Win8Pro 32bit - Plan D - Re-partition / format / check 1 TB SATA 300 drive with SeaTools (Barracuda 32GB buffer-7200rpm) - run Win8PRO 64bit install from DVD (build 9200) - success! Install took nearly an hour, with 3 reboots to the finish. Specifics (install configuration): 1 TB SATA drive in Port 4, upgraded memory to 4GB Corsair PC3200 (4 slots filled), Two DVD drives on Primary IDE channel (master and slave), secondary IDE channel - no devices, bios (1010) - NVRAID, Audio97,1394 port,LAN -disabled; USB 2.0, USB Legacy, Floppy - enabled, IDE-Auto, all SATA / DMA enabled), TrendNet USB wireless adapter on USB slot 2 (motherboard), EVGA 275GTX in PCIe slot 1, no other cards. System seems to be performing well (fast boot times, no hangs), but as noted, no sound (I actually forgot to re-enable the Audio97 device in bios; it was 2am). I will see if I can get the Audio97 enabled today; my backup is to add a Turtle Beach Montego DDL PCI card (with the Windows7 64bit driver and run in compatiblity mode). Hope this saga might help some others out - good luck.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro 64bit
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Builder
    CPU
    Opteron 180
    Motherboard
    Asus A8N-E
    Memory
    4GB Corsair PC3200
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA 275GTX
I tried that method theog and still had the same results: Freezing at the teal windows 8 logo screen.

For what it's worth.. I have the ASUS A8N SLI premium and it's working fine with W8 64bit.

But I did have to battle the dreaded teal window when I tried to upgrade to a newer video card.
I had XP on the system with an EVGA 9800 GTX video card. Upgraded to W8 64 bit, clean install to new 120 GB SSD.

All worked fine for a few days.. then I decided to "tinker". I had a spare EVGA GeForce GTX 470 that I figured I would pop in the system. Upgraded power supply from 500 Watt to 650 mainly because the GTX 470 needed two PCI-E power plugs to operate and only had a single on the old supply. ( plus on the low end of wattage anyway )

System posts, then when going into W8 os, it sticks on the teal window. Reboot, says it's trying to repair, never does. Reboot, just teal window. Ck bios, all looks good.. but never can boot. Can't even get the DVD to boot with W8 disc in... just spins for awhile then sits idle.

Reinserted old video card, boots, says trying to repair, then gets to the restore page... I just cancelled and rebooted again and all is fine again.

So, not sure what is causing this... my GTX 470 works fine in my other system. I even tried another GT550Ti card in the A8N mobo.. same thing with the teal windows freezing.

Perhaps those newer cards draw too much current for the PCI bus? Maybe the memory in the cards is to much? ( wouldn't think so ) But for whatever reason I can only get the old A8N mobo to boot into windows with the GTX 9800.. 512mb memory btw.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    W8 64
    personal build.. lots of them
Hey all,

New to the party...trying to install Windows 8 64-bit ISO off USB key. After multiple attempts and hanging on splash screen found this thread. Read all the posts. It's a new hard drive so there's no OS on it. Motherboard: Asus A8N-SLI which appears to be the culprit for many.

As there doesn't seem to be any solution to this for those of you with this mobo I will assume there is no way to install W8.

If anyone ever finds a solution please post.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    None
A8N issues..

Hey all,

New to the party...trying to install Windows 8 64-bit ISO off USB key. After multiple attempts and hanging on splash screen found this thread. Read all the posts. It's a new hard drive so there's no OS on it. Motherboard: Asus A8N-SLI which appears to be the culprit for many.

As there doesn't seem to be any solution to this for those of you with this mobo I will assume there is no way to install W8.

If anyone ever finds a solution please post.

I have successfully installed W8 64Bit on my Asus A8N mobo. I installed via DVD media I burned from the downloaded ISO, complete new install from an older XP OS.

The problem I ran into is when I tried to install a new graphics cards. The system would always hang on the teal window, and it wouldn't even allow me to boot from the DVD drive to try and reinstall. I plopped the original EVGA 9800GTX card back in and it reinstalled fine and has been working fine now for a month.

I never researched further to see why the newer video card caused the issue, ( card works fine in other computer ), but you may try an older card to see if that at least gets you past the teal window screen. That old 9800 I have only has 512 mb memory, and the other cards I tried had 1G and 2G of memory. I don't know if that causes part of the problem or not... but maybe that'll at least get you started in the right direction.

Also, make sure you have whatever drive you are installing the new OS on is in the first slot on your sata ports. Especially if you're using an SSD.

I guess if that old card craps out on me one day I'll have to dig back into this, so if you indeed make any headway on this please post back.

Good luck...

My Computer

System One

• OS
    W8 64
    personal build.. lots of them
Just spent all day going thru the same thing. No matter what I did, it was always the same. It would reformat with no problem, but when the computer restarted and tried to boot to windows, it would freeze on the spinning dots. What finally worked for me was disabling the IOAPIC function in bios. Not sure what the IOAPIC does exactly, but the computers up and running. Haven't got to try it out yet.

AMD athlon 64 X2 5400+
MSI K9N SLI Platinum Socket AM2 motherboard
EVGA GeForce 7300 GT PCIe
2 gigs Corsair PC6400 DDR2

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Intel Pentium D Dual Core
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3000 - PCI Express x16
    Sound Card
    Integrated RealTek ALC888 high-definition audio with 7.1 channel audio support
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    350 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Desktop 7.2" (183mm) W x 17.5" (445mm) L x 14.5"
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
    Office Pro 2013 / Nokia Lumia 1520 Windows Phone 8.1DP GDR1
I didn’t read this thread but from the topic I see I had the same problem. Sorry if you already knew this solution.
After a long struggle tried like this and it worked:

1. Put HDD to a newer PC (which is compatible with win8)
  2. Install win8
  3. Take out HDD and put it to the older PC
  4. No blue screen and boots up perfectly
Windows installed but having trouble installing motherboard drivers (Asus A8N-SLI SE).

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win8
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
Bit of an old topic, but here's the solution that worked for me. If you get the blue screen telling you that your machine failed to boot multiple times, press 7 to disable driver signature enforcement. Boom. Worked.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Ultimate x64
    Acer T180/Custom Build Hybrid
    CPU
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200+ 2.7 GHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    Radeon HD 4670 Series
Back