Windows 8 frequent freezing ... help!

Yeah I was using them before, then uninstalled them and tried to let windows find the correct drivers. Nothing seems to work. I'm going to install Windows 7 and see if the issues keep happening so I can definitely rule out hardware problems.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Zg8x UD3H B3
    Memory
    4gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia GTX 560 ti
Did you cleaned everything with "drive sweeper" and disabled GPU acceleration in IE? Enabling it couses freezes for me too

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 RP
    CPU
    Intel i5-2500k
    Motherboard
    MSI P67S-C43 B3
    Memory
    8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 560TI
Would love to know if Tamara's problem is resolved as my Windows 8 RP with Intel i7 and Nvidia GTX 550 TI (latest drivers) behaves in a similar manner. System freezes but mouse can move, nothing can be selected and manual power off is required. Event viewer gives few hints as to any issues.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 9 RP
    System Manufacturer/Model
    HP h8-1070t
    CPU
    Intel Core i7-2600 3.4GHz 4 cores
    Motherboard
    Pegatron
    Memory
    16 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia GForce GTX 550 TI
It's still happening. Pretty much tried every suggestion I can find online and no fix. It does seem a little better with the new nvidia drivers, but it still freezes once or twice a day.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Zg8x UD3H B3
    Memory
    4gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia GTX 560 ti
Thanks for taking the time to answer! I know exactly how frustrating this can be. I'm thinking now....exactly why did I leave a perfectly stable Windows 7 and move to an unstable Win 8? The most frustrating part is that I can't get any help from the messages in event viewer. About the only thing it says is...geez, I wasn't expecting that manual reboot. Other than that I see no critical errors...yet I get a freeze where I can use the mouse and select nothing. I'm hoping that the final Win 8 install will fix this.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 9 RP
    HP h8-1070t
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Pegatron
    Memory
    16 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia GForce GTX 550 TI
Much on other sites about this freeze being related to intel i3/i5/i7 processors and usage of any of the 4 main browsers. This fits my case as well. Unfortunately, fixes involve setting Hyper-V and/or C3/C6 settings in bios -- both of which are not possible for me. If you search on Win 8 crashes and Hyper-V settings you'll see the whole story.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 9 RP
    HP h8-1070t
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Pegatron
    Memory
    16 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia GForce GTX 550 TI
I believe it is not limited to iX processors as my QX9300 (Penryn) seems to be having the same issue. I have been experiencing this problem with the Consumer Preview too but after checking I blamed it on my SSD failing so I gave the release preview a try. It turned out it was probably the constant crashing that caused my SSD/filesystem failures. In any case, I hope the issue will be resolved ASAP as the Hyper-V workaround is not usable on older processors :(

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 RP Build 8400
    Alienware M17x-R1
    CPU
    Intel QX9300
    Motherboard
    Chipset: NVIDIA MCP79
    Memory
    2x4GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    2x Geforce 280M GTX SLI
This post by DM1 suggests another method to fix things (if you don't have access to C-States in your BIOS):
http://www.eightforums.com/crashes-debugging/6990-windows-8-freezes-randomly.html#post96504

... If you have no disable C-States option in the BIOS (most laptops don't) you can workaround by creating a new Custom Power Plan and set - as an advanced option - in the Processor Power Management Tab the minimum processor rate at 50-70% ( i set myself at 50%) and the maximum processor rate at the very same value! (50%-50% or 70%-70%). ...

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win8.1Pro - Finally!!!
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Samsung/NP780
    CPU
    Came with the laptop (i7 of some sort)
    Motherboard
    Pretty sure that it has one, but haven't checked inside the case!
    Memory
    upgraded to 12 gB from 8 gB
    Graphics Card(s)
    has switchable - Intel/ATI - Used wrong drivers, now ATI card is inop :( Will have to fix it soon!
    Sound Card
    I'm nearly deaf, so this isn't used often
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Touchscreen on laptop/32" Toshiba on HDMI (laid the Sharp TV on a mouse and cracked the screen!)
    Screen Resolution
    800x600
    Hard Drives
    One Samsung 1tB drive - 5400 rpm. Gonna switch to a 7200/10000 rpm or an SSD (if I can find $500 for a 1tB SSD!)
    - Switched to 500 gB Samsung 840 series SSD - WOW!!!
    PSU
    Why do we ask this for laptops?
    Case
    Silver with a neat Samsung logo
    Cooling
    sub-par, gotta get around to working on it soon Worked on it - still sub-par! :(
    Keyboard
    Microsoft Natural - the same one I've used since it orignally came out around 1995
    Mouse
    no Mouse - Trackball!!!!
    Internet Speed
    too slow when I'm waiting for a download to finish
    Browser
    Yes, I use this (Firefox mostly, w/IE next most)
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender and Windows Firewall
    Other Info
    I'm handsome and a snappy dresser :0)
Apparently I missed this post, thanks for the information.
I've just created the new custom plan and will report if it works for me (which should be soon as I crash every 15min or so).

Edit: Unfortunately it didn't work, I crashed twice since using the custom power plan, thanks for the information anyway.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 RP Build 8400
    Alienware M17x-R1
    CPU
    Intel QX9300
    Motherboard
    Chipset: NVIDIA MCP79
    Memory