Windows 8.1’s Success Critical for Microsoft’s “Morale”

There’s no doubt that Windows 8.1 is going to play a critical role in Microsoft’s long-term strategy, especially because the Softies need this operating system to be a success more than ever.

Since Windows 8 has until now failed to excite, Windows 8.1 is supposed to refresh the platform and make it a bit more familiar, thus boosting sales and increasing the overall PC sales.

On the other hand, the launch of Windows 8.1 represents a critical moment for Microsoft, as the Redmond-based tech giant is facing a fiercer battle with the other large companies out there when it comes to operating system.

A report by Digitimes reveals that Windows 8.1’s success is going to be threatened by several other desktop platforms, so in the end, the first major Windows 8 overhaul is going to be “important for maintaining Microsoft’s morale in the IT market.”

Unsurprisingly, some top analysts out there believe that Windows 8.1 won’t make such a big difference for Microsoft, so we shouldn’t expect a significant sales boost in the coming months.

Windows 8.1?s Success Critical for Microsoft?s ?Morale?

though I'm using currently Win 8 and it's OK to me so far using it for almost 7 months .. and would also consider its improved version in form of 8.1 .. but yes there are several mix responses towards the latest OS offering from the software major Microsoft is not a favorable in its wish of finding a strong grip over a big number of users at all .. let's what the future contains for it..

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    e4166
    CPU
    core 2 duel
    Motherboard
    i3
    Graphics Card(s)
    Dell
    Browser
    compe
    Antivirus
    kpersky
Since seeing 8, I have been investigating Linux. Just discovered Deepin. Beautiful desktop os.

View attachment 23289

View attachment 23290

I am currently in between jobs, as in literally I start a new job next week. So, I've been devoting all my time working on my apps. Like today, I spent about 12 hours working on my apps. Sure, I could have used that time relaxing and surfing the net and screwing around.

The point is you just gave a bad impression of that OS. I don't know it, but the fact that you decided to screenshot a browser instead of something more work-like, more serious says a lot about the attitude with these other OS's.

I got hired for my new job because of my skillset. I'm both a programmer and a structure engineer. Most engineers are lousy with honest to god computer work. So, this company hired me to fill in the void between the engineers and the IT people.

Anyway, the point is I haven't lost productivity with windows 8. In fact, my work has gotten more efficient. Everything runs a lot smoother than before.

I'm still at a loss as to why people would rather whine than take 2 minutes out of their lives to make the evil start screen go away. Yes, that's right, you can make it go away for good with just 2 minutes of effortless tweaking. But I guess whining about it is easier...

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8
windows is dominant on desktop pcs. if only there will be competition from other company maybe we would see MS give up like it did with Xbox one. from what I can tell 8.1 is a bit refined windows 8 with more focus on metro and cloud, but not desktop so MS did not listen to customer complaints at all. If windows 8.1 fail, maybe then MS will listen to customers.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 uiltimate, Windows 8.1 pro 64bit, Windows server 2008R2, Windows 10 TP
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
I agree with most people here, nothing in 8.1 of interest to desktop users. I never use metro or any silly MS apps, so no need to look at 8.1.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    W7
Has anyone else started receiving the invites for 8.1?
I just got an invite e-mail.

"Windows 8.1 Preview test program

Hello,

Thank you to joining the test program. You will receive an email confirmation after you have been Approved to participate.

Please remember to back up your data prior to upgrading your systems. As with any Preview software, this is not the final version of the software. You will not be able to perform a full upgrade from Windows 8.1 Preview to Windows 8.1 RTM (The final release). You will however be able to migrate all your data to Windows 8.1 RTM.
You have successfully applied to Windows 8.1 Preview Virtual Install Fair and your status is Pending.

If you want to view all programs you have a Pending status for, go to the Product Directory and select "Pending" from the Action column filter list."

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bit with Media Center
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    Intel Core i7 3930K 3.2GHz
    Motherboard
    ASUS Sabertooth X79 (Intel X79 Chipset)
    Memory
    16GB DDR3 1600MHz Digital Storm Certified Performance Series
    Graphics Card(s)
    2 EVGA GTX980 Superclocked ACX SLI 2.0 4GB GDDR5 256bit
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell U3014 Black 30"
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1600
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 830 256GB SATA6Gb/s,1TB 7200RPM (32MB Cache), 1TB External WD Mybook 1140, Seagate Freeagent GOFlex 1TB, Samsung SSD 840 Pro
    Case
    Cooler Master 942 HAF X
    Cooling
    Digital Storm Vortex 240mm Radiator Liquid CPU Cooler
    Keyboard
    Logitech G710 Mechanical Keyboard
    Mouse
    Logitech G 502 Proteus Core

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Mint and Windows 8 Pro
    Asus G75VW
    CPU
    i7
    Motherboard
    Asus
    Memory
    16G
    Graphics Card(s)
    nVidia
    Monitor(s) Displays
    17"
    Hard Drives
    Seagate 5400 rpm 1T and Seagate 7200 rpm 500G.
    Internet Speed
    30M down, 5M up
    Other Info
    Oracle Virtual Box
    Ubuntu 64 bit

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (64 bit), Linux Mint 18.3 MATE (64 bit)
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    n/a
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II x6 1055T, 2.8 GHz
    Motherboard
    ASRock 880GMH-LE/USB3
    Memory
    8GB DDR3 1333 G-Skill Ares F3-1333C9D-8GAO (4GB x 2)
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD6450
    Sound Card
    Realtek?
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung S23B350
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Western Digital 1.5 TB (SATA), Western Digital 2 TB (SATA), Western Digital 3 TB (SATA)
    Case
    Tower
    Mouse
    Wired Optical
    Other Info
    Linux Mint 16 MATE (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 17 MATE (64 bit) - 2014-05-17
    Linux Mint 14 MATE (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 16 MATE (64 bit) - 2013-11-13
    Ubuntu 10.04 (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 14 MATE (64 bit) - 2013-01-14
    RAM & Graphics Card Upgraded - 2013-01-13
    Monitor Upgraded - 2012-04-20
    System Upgraded - 2011-05-21, 2010-07-14
    HDD Upgraded - 2010-08-11, 2011-08-24,
Since seeing 8, I have been investigating Linux. Just discovered Deepin. Beautiful desktop os.

View attachment 23289

View attachment 23290

I know nothing about Linux. Just curious...

Why are the desktops different in the two screenshots? Two different options?

I take it that's a menu on the left in the second one and when you push "All" the background blurs and all those icons appear? If that be true, what happens then if there's a program window open? Do the icons stay in front?

Does the search bar remain there?

Is the taskbar movable to a side or top? Can it be hidden?

Are these customizable like MS desktops?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Intel Pentium D Dual Core
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3000 - PCI Express x16
    Sound Card
    Integrated RealTek ALC888 high-definition audio with 7.1 channel audio support
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    350 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Desktop 7.2" (183mm) W x 17.5" (445mm) L x 14.5"
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
    Office Pro 2013 / Nokia Lumia 1520 Windows Phone 8.1DP GDR1
I am currently in between jobs, as in literally I start a new job next week. So, I've been devoting all my time working on my apps. Like today, I spent about 12 hours working on my apps. Sure, I could have used that time relaxing and surfing the net and screwing around.

The point is you just gave a bad impression of that OS. I don't know it, but the fact that you decided to screenshot a browser instead of something more work-like, more serious says a lot about the attitude with these other OS's.

I got hired for my new job because of my skillset. I'm both a programmer and a structure engineer. Most engineers are lousy with honest to god computer work. So, this company hired me to fill in the void between the engineers and the IT people.

Anyway, the point is I haven't lost productivity with windows 8. In fact, my work has gotten more efficient. Everything runs a lot smoother than before.

I'm still at a loss as to why people would rather whine than take 2 minutes out of their lives to make the evil start screen go away. Yes, that's right, you can make it go away for good with just 2 minutes of effortless tweaking. But I guess whining about it is easier...

I love a "woman's touch" around this place. :D

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
Where do you think MS got the start screen idea from?

View attachment 23289

View attachment 23290

I know nothing about Linux. Just curious...

Why are the desktops different in the two screenshots? Two different options?

I take it that's a menu on the left in the second one and when you push "All" the background blurs and all those icons appear? If that be true, what happens then if there's a program window open? Do the icons stay in front?

Does the search bar remain there?

Is the taskbar movable to a side or top? Can it be hidden?

Are these customizable like MS desktops?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop

I know you mentioned that a few times before. Not sure exactly how you arrived at that conclusion.

It seems to be tough to get a straight answer out of you, for you answer a question with a question. :p Good tactic in some ways, for it gets people to think, but not so good in others for I will just ask more questions. :D

Not that experienced and I don't and won't have time to experiment with other OSs until I retire. That's why the questions.

I'll assume the first screen with the browser open is the actual desktop and one arrives on the second screen somehow via a button or shortcut, which is somewhat of a full screen start menu.

If that be true, I do see the correlation with the Start Screen in that its full screen menu. Other than that there's no resemblance, for its all icons.

This leads me to another question > Can the icons be personally arranged? In columns? Columns named? I'll assume not, for for the menu has other categories which I'll guess open specific icons for that category. I'll assume all that for now, until/if I'm corrected.

If all that be true, then I think MS has a lot up on that. To me this is the beauty of the Start Screen and the new system:

1). It was a relief to see the Modern/Metro design and tiles instead of icons > Icons I looked at for years > Icons plastered on my Taskbar and desktop because I disliked going into that little Start Menu. I know I wasn't alone, for I've seen and read that a lot of others did too. What you've shown so far reminds me of that even though they're positioned symetrically. It looks like an ugly mess to me now. Once I've seen what I see as beauty, its difficult to look at ugly again. :D

2). It's full screen. Much easier to see.

3). Live Tiles conveying personal information to me. A combination of an icon and gadget. Performing this far quicker with less resources. Rather ingenious to me. The process and flow of what I want to perform in an order I decide is much easier and more organized.

It also reminds me to stay on top of things such as answering emails or messaging, notes, reading news, my calendar, scrolling pictures of loved ones & friends, and the like. I don't do social sites, but I would imagine it helps with those also.

At my age I still have a good memory, but its getting shorter. :D When I open to a desktop I have to remember all this. I have to remember to open up individual programs or look at a gadget to get that information. This is what I mean when I say that 8 is more than an OS. Its an aid to help us live in a more organized fashion. I don't know how many times just after I've shut down or put it to sleep that I forgot to do something like answer an email, message, or what have you only to go back to do it. I'm finding myself doing that less now.

A machine interface doing work for us, for that's what machines do. If one finds that amusing, then walk or ride a horse instead of driving or flying. Cut your lawn with a scythe. Wash your clothes in the river. Type your letters on a mechanical typewriter, for you can't email. :D

4). Arranging tiles in an organized manner as I see fit. All in columns that I can name whatever I want.

5). Using Store apps more often than using a browser > A browser where I'm more susceptible to virus and malware surfing the Net.

6). I'll get to do this across multiple devices. that all sync.

This will all get better in 8.1. :)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
It's going to be interesting to see how that pans out. You have to be running 8 to even see what 8.1 offers so that's going to leave a lot of those that already ditched 8 out of the loop. I'll give Microsoft credit for the update though. I'm looking forward to trying it out when it becomes available. It will be interesting to see if it can change some sour grapes into wine.

Lets hope it does not change it to Vinegar.
Vinegar it is and won't change by adding some sugar.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    2xHP, 2xGateway, 1xDell, 1xSony
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs

I love a "woman's touch" around this place. :D

A few months ago a woman driving a U-Haul lost control and ran right into me. Totaled my car with me in it. A couple weeks ago, another woman made an illegal U-turn on a crowded highway and ran right into me as I was just driving in a straight line.

I'm beginning to think women are out to kill me on the road. My boyfriend has suggested that I'm some kind of woman magnet on the road. That would explain why out of all the cars on the road both women had to run right into me.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8

Not that experienced and I don't and won't have time to experiment with other OSs until I retire. That's why the questions.

I'll assume the first screen with the browser open is the actual desktop and one arrives on the second screen somehow via a button or shortcut, which is somewhat of a full screen start menu.

If that be true, I do see the correlation with the Start Screen in that its full screen menu. Other than that there's no resemblance, for its all icons.

This leads me to another question > Can the icons be personally arranged? In columns? Columns named? I'll assume not, for for the menu has other categories which I'll guess open specific icons for that category. I'll assume all that for now, until/if I'm corrected.

If all that be true, then I think MS has a lot up on that. To me this is the beauty of the Start Screen and the new system:

1). It was a relief to see the Modern/Metro design and tiles instead of icons > Icons I looked at for years > Icons plastered on my Taskbar and desktop because I disliked going into that little Start Menu. I know I wasn't alone, for I've seen and read that a lot of others did too. What you've shown so far reminds me of that even though they're positioned symetrically. It looks like an ugly mess to me now. Once I've seen what I see as beauty, its difficult to look at ugly again. :D

2). It's full screen. Much easier to see.

3). Live Tiles conveying personal information to me. A combination of an icon and gadget. Performing this far quicker with less resources. Rather ingenious to me. The process and flow of what I want to perform in an order I decide is much easier and more organized.

It also reminds me to stay on top of things such as answering emails or messaging, notes, reading news, my calendar, scrolling pictures of loved ones & friends, and the like. I don't do social sites, but I would imagine it helps with those also.

At my age I still have a good memory, but its getting shorter. :D When I open to a desktop I have to remember all this. I have to remember to open up individual programs or look at a gadget to get that information. This is what I mean when I say that 8 is more than an OS. Its an aid to help us live in a more organized fashion. I don't know how many times just after I've shut down or put it to sleep that I forgot to do something like answer an email, message, or what have you only to go back to do it. I'm finding myself doing that less now.

A machine interface doing work for us, for that's what machines do. If one finds that amusing, then walk or ride a horse instead of driving or flying. Cut your lawn with a scythe. Wash your clothes in the river. Type your letters on a mechanical typewriter, for you can't email. :D

4). Arranging tiles in an organized manner as I see fit. All in columns that I can name whatever I want.

5). Using Store apps more often than using a browser > A browser where I'm more susceptible to virus and malware surfing the Net.

6). I'll get to do this across multiple devices. that all sync.

This will all get better in 8.1. :)

I can relate to all that exactly. As a very long time computer user, since before first PC I used a lot of third party apps to get close to w8 as it is now. With a large number of programs installed looking for one thru start menu was not easy so always sorted programs in folders according to their purpose and then placed the links to the folders on taskbar and that way I approximated the way W8 works now. Found that much more productive than standard way. So now I have no reason to complain now as I have yet another path to all the programs. Except for 2 or 3 live tiles I don't have much use for but being able to pin desktop programs to Metro screen is of immense help to me.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home made
    CPU
    AMD Ryzen7 2700x
    Motherboard
    Asus Prime x470 Pro
    Memory
    16GB Kingston 3600
    Graphics Card(s)
    Asus strix 570 OC 4gb
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 960 evo 250GB
    Silicon Power V70 240GB SSD
    WD 1 TB Blue
    WD 2 TB Blue
    Bunch of backup HDDs.
    PSU
    Sharkoon, Silent Storm 660W
    Case
    Raidmax
    Cooling
    CCM Nepton 140xl
    Internet Speed
    40/2 Mbps
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    WD

View attachment 23289

View attachment 23290

[h=1]The most popular end-user Linux distributions are...[/h]
Take a second and think about end-user Linux. Now guess: Which is the most popular of all?

tux-220-200x237.png
If you're a long time Linux user, chances are you guessed Ubuntu, Mint, Debian, or Fedora.
You'd be wrong.
The most popular end-user Linux, without any question, is Android. In 2014, Gartner estimates that there will be a billion Android tablets and smartphones sold in that year. Gartner predicts that more Android units alone will ship than all Apple and Microsoft powered devices combined..

The most popular end-user Linux distributions are... | ZDNet

This is M$ worst nightmare and M$ does not know how to compete with it.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win7/8 Mint
    lenovo W530
    CPU
    intell i7
    Motherboard
    Lenovo
    Memory
    16gb
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    512 gb ssd
    Other Info
    Around 13 million employes
A few months ago a woman driving a U-Haul lost control and ran right into me. Totaled my car with me in it. A couple weeks ago, another woman made an illegal U-turn on a crowded highway and ran right into me as I was just driving in a straight line.

I'm beginning to think women are out to kill me on the road. My boyfriend has suggested that I'm some kind of woman magnet on the road. That would explain why out of all the cars on the road both women had to run right into me.

Well, I'm glad you made it out alive and assuming with no injuries or minor ones anyway. :) Airbags must have deployed?

You may want to consider getting a military tank. :D

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
I can relate to all that exactly. As a very long time computer user, since before first PC I used a lot of third party apps to get close to w8 as it is now. With a large number of programs installed looking for one thru start menu was not easy so always sorted programs in folders according to their purpose and then placed the links to the folders on taskbar and that way I approximated the way W8 works now. Found that much more productive than standard way. So now I have no reason to complain now as I have yet another path to all the programs. Except for 2 or 3 live tiles I don't have much use for but being able to pin desktop programs to Metro screen is of immense help to me.

Yes, a much more efficient menu system plus extras IMO and of course I'm glad you agree with me. :)

If or when a system can show me this kind of versatility so far as menus are concerned then I'll consider it.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Cooling