Solved Windows 8.1 update won't download. Error code 0x80240031

I can confirm Verizon is the problem for me. I experienced the same issue and error. After reading some of the comments above I switched to my DSL network instead of my Verizon 4G home fusion network. Problem went away immediately and is now downloading. Problem now is my DSL network link is only 1.5 mb/s. So in about a day and a half it will be complete.
Additional information.
While it would not download from my Verizon 4G, I started the download from my DSL, then paused the download at 1%, switched my IP back to the Verizon 4G link and resumed the download and it worked flawlessly from that point. Installation and upgrade complete.
Hope the info helped.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win8 pro
I can confirm Verizon is the problem for me. I experienced the same issue and error. After reading some of the comments above I switched to my DSL network instead of my Verizon 4G home fusion network. Problem went away immediately and is now downloading. Problem now is my DSL network link is only 1.5 mb/s. So in about a day and a half it will be complete.
Additional information.
While it would not download from my Verizon 4G, I started the download from my DSL, then paused the download at 1%, switched my IP back to the Verizon 4G link and resumed the download and it worked flawlessly from that point. Installation and upgrade complete.
Hope the info helped.
That is what I ended up doing, pausing the download over cable and resuming over my Verizon 4G at home, and that does work. It worked for my neighbor also.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro / 7 Ultimate
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    custom build
    CPU
    i7-4770K
    Motherboard
    ASRock Z87 Extreme6
    Memory
    14GB = One 8GB and 3 x 2GB SIMMS
    Graphics Card(s)
    MSI R6850 Power Edition
    Sound Card
    Realtec ALC1150 (integrated)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer H236HLbid IPS
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1080
    Hard Drives
    2 - OCZ Vertex 4 128GB SSD, Sandisk Extreme 120GB SSD
    PSU
    Corsair HX620W (modular)
    Case
    10 bay server case
    Cooling
    std intel cooler
    Keyboard
    AZIO Backlit
    Mouse
    Logitech Anywhere MX
    Internet Speed
    MiFi 4620L on VZW 4G LTE - 12Mb/s
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    Bitdefender
So, I've been having this issue as well. I'm located in Norther IL, USA. I was able to get the update as others have by using a vpn, pausing, then resuming with 4g.

I'm getting pretty tired of this kind of crap though, if anyone can assist me in finding a way to legally prove in court that verizon is blocking this I'm considering a class action lawsuit against them. Not for the money, just to hopefully force them to stop this kind of crap!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    XP/7/8/Server
So, I've been having this issue as well. I'm located in Norther IL, USA. I was able to get the update as others have by using a vpn, pausing, then resuming with 4g.

I'm getting pretty tired of this kind of crap though, if anyone can assist me in finding a way to legally prove in court that verizon is blocking this I'm considering a class action lawsuit against them. Not for the money, just to hopefully force them to stop this kind of crap!

I have the same thing with my 4g Viva Connection and i live in Kuwait all i did is Subscrabe with 3G ISP an updated from the fist try so it is the 4G connection problem but why i dont know ! is it the router setting or the 4G it self.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    Intel 3930K
    Motherboard
    Asus P9X79 Delux
    Memory
    Corsair 16G
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA Nvidia GTX 580
-boody

I'm not sure why you quoted my post but I thought I'd answer your question anyway. It's not exactly 4g and I doubt it's the router you have at all. It's the company controlling the 4g connection that determines if you can download the update or not. For me, Verizon seems to block the update initially but you can resume and complete the update over 4g. For my cousin who has Sprint, it works fine. So, like I said above, it seems to depend on your provider.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    XP/7/8/Server
Back