windows 8.1 slows down over time

i thought maybe you installed a fresh 8.1 iso or something. sounds like you specific hardware has a bug with 8.1 which is odd since you have a ws board and those are like compatible with everything lol.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    WIN 7 PRO x64, WIN 8.1 PRO x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Custom
    CPU
    Intel i7 4790K
    Motherboard
    ASUS Maximus VI Extreme
    Memory
    32GB(4x8GB) DDR3 Team Xtreem 2666 @ 2400 CL10 10-12-12-31
    Graphics Card(s)
    2x MSI GTX 780 Twin Frozr OC 3GB
    Sound Card
    ASUS Xonar Essence STX
    Monitor(s) Displays
    ASUS PB278Q, HP 2311xi, UN46F7100AFXZA
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1440p, 2x1080p
    Hard Drives
    256GB 840 PRO SSD
    10TB RAID 0 Array (Movies, Steam)
    6TB RAID 1 Array (Backups, Documents)
    3TB EXT Drive (Secure Backups)
    PSU
    Corsair AX760
    Case
    NZXT White Switch 810
    Cooling
    Block: XSPC Raystorm, RES/Pump: XSPC Bay res W/D5 Vario, RAD: XSPC RX360, 6xNF-F12's
    Keyboard
    Rosewill RK-9000 with MX Blue switches Logitech G15 Rev 2 (gutted for LCD)
    Mouse
    Logitech G400
    Browser
    Chrome
    Other Info
    I also own a Lenovo Y510p, and Yoga 2 Pro
i thought maybe you installed a fresh 8.1 iso or something. sounds like you specific hardware has a bug with 8.1 which is odd since you have a ws board and those are like compatible with everything lol.

hmm i think this might have something to do with apps that use a database file, maybe over time the ssd is slowing down somehow causing the application to read the db slower then usual? Photoshop and many other programs run just fine or at least i don't notice anything different. Any good application to test read speed? i am going to test it when its fine and when application slows down. Could this be a driver problem?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Lily
    CPU
    intel 4790k@4.7
    Motherboard
    msi z97 mpower max ac
    Memory
    16gb ripjaws x @2133
    Graphics Card(s)
    evga 980ti sc+
    Sound Card
    creative sbz
    Monitor(s) Displays
    dell u3011
    Hard Drives
    840 evo 250 & 9tb
    PSU
    evga supernova 1000
    Case
    corsair 750d
    Cooling
    corsair h110
    Keyboard
    logitech g710
    Mouse
    logitech g502
    Internet Speed
    cable@110/15
    Browser
    firefox
    Antivirus
    webroot
Try running this in the background while it happens: Resplendence Software - LatencyMon: suitability checker for real-time audio and other tasks
Also since you are using apps like photoshop I highly recommend not killing the pagefile. Set it to a fixed size, such as 1024mb min/max, and on your ssd, not on a mechanical drive.

ok i ran it for 3 minutes the performance is not that bad yet but the monitor shows red for hard fault its at 240 already.

highest reported hard fault resolution time is at 60100.522980

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
Process with highest pagefault count: explorer.exe

Total number of hard pagefaults 509
Hard pagefault count of hardest hit process: 205
Highest hard pagefault resolution time (µs): 60100.522980
Total time spent in hard pagefaults (%): 0.005367
Number of processes hit: 9

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
Well, its normal to see hard faults, there is no avoiding them for anyone to be honest. But a non-fixed page file increases page file fragmentation and by having it on a mechanical drive you are slowing things down even more.
Try running with a small, fixed size page file, on your ssd (you're really not gonna kill it any quicker by doing so) and with no page file at all to see if it makes a difference.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Lily
    CPU
    intel 4790k@4.7
    Motherboard
    msi z97 mpower max ac
    Memory
    16gb ripjaws x @2133
    Graphics Card(s)
    evga 980ti sc+
    Sound Card
    creative sbz
    Monitor(s) Displays
    dell u3011
    Hard Drives
    840 evo 250 & 9tb
    PSU
    evga supernova 1000
    Case
    corsair 750d
    Cooling
    corsair h110
    Keyboard
    logitech g710
    Mouse
    logitech g502
    Internet Speed
    cable@110/15
    Browser
    firefox
    Antivirus
    webroot
Well, its normal to see hard faults, there is no avoiding them for anyone to be honest. But a non-fixed page file increases page file fragmentation and by having it on a mechanical drive you are slowing things down even more.
Try running with a small, fixed size page file, on your ssd (you're really not gonna kill it any quicker by doing so) and with no page file at all to see if it makes a difference.

well right now i am running with new page file and i dont ever remember going close to 24gb of ram usage but i will see what happens. So what else can explorer.exe be doing to cause slow performance over time? that restarting the explorer.exe process fixed the problem for a while?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
Probably a silly q but have you tried running a virus scan with a trusted scanner? Lots of malware likes to mask its self as explorer.exe. Run a a couple of system scan with virus and spyware scanners to be sure

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Lily
    CPU
    intel 4790k@4.7
    Motherboard
    msi z97 mpower max ac
    Memory
    16gb ripjaws x @2133
    Graphics Card(s)
    evga 980ti sc+
    Sound Card
    creative sbz
    Monitor(s) Displays
    dell u3011
    Hard Drives
    840 evo 250 & 9tb
    PSU
    evga supernova 1000
    Case
    corsair 750d
    Cooling
    corsair h110
    Keyboard
    logitech g710
    Mouse
    logitech g502
    Internet Speed
    cable@110/15
    Browser
    firefox
    Antivirus
    webroot
its a fresh install i didn't do much of anything except install adobe CC that has photoshop and lightroom, i scanned with windows defender and it is enabled. So far so good since i set page file to none maybe will see what happens after some more time passes. I did install chipset drive from intel the one for my motherboard on asus website has only windows 7 drivers for everything i tried to find windows 8.1 drivers.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
quickly read through this.. so you installed windows 8.0.. then upgraded to 8.1.. right??

if that is true.. definitely try just installing straight windows 8.1.. don't "upgrade".

and i'm just throwing it out there but yes, google "eset online scanner" and run that.. then google "hitmanpro" and run that.. but i dont think you have virus/malware.. of course who knows what you are doing with[DEL] 29 tabs of chrome open.[/DEL]. (*edit)maybe that wasn't you..**

I have never had a computer just start to slow down like the symptoms you are describing so.. obviously its one of the factors: drivers, upgrading windows, faulty hardware drive, virus, power stability(i guess this still is under faulty hardware) and/or software (which would be anything you installed after a clean install of windows..

just throwing 2 cents out there..

merry christmas

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 (HOME not Pro) 64bit
    Computer type
    Laptop
    (So not very nice) Lenovo Y410P
    CPU
    i7 quad 2.4Gig
    Memory
    16G ram
    Graphics Card(s)
    nvidia 2gig 755m
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 840 Evo

supercache2 m2. mini card.
    Antivirus
    Win Defender
I have read somewhere, that setting fixed pagefile size causes the drive to write in the same place all the time and increases wearoff of those particular SSD cells

I have the same problem as author, started a new thread, currently freeing up some space at C: partition improved my performance, but not to the original state. I have fresh 8.1 pro install, I use no 3rd party antyvir (just Defender), almost no services running, no application open and getting folder opening times 2-3 seconds... its ridiclous :/

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win8.1Pro
    Computer type
    Laptop
    T450s
    CPU
    i5-5300U
    Memory
    12GB (8GB+4GB)