Solved Windows 8.1 Can't do an "Extend Display"

where should I copy the driver files to?

Doesn't matter, they are useless after your driver is installed anyways, you just need to use them as a reference for the PnPUtil to install the driver...

That utility should be in an environment location (System32 I believe), so you shouldn't even need to download it, or navigate to the exe's location, just open up an admin command prompt, and type that into the command line.

Put it in your Picture folder for all it matters lol...

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
Sorry to be a pain. None of the previous great suggestions haven't worked.

I know the CPU is connected to the monitor since If I boot to bios, the bios comes up on both of my monitors (BTW, the intel dual monitor mode is enabled in the bios).

despite trying to re-install the driver as outlined above, and rebooting several times, I cannot get the second monitor to come up.

also, I've reloaded both display drivers and have checked for updates.

please help!

jeff

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
This is a laptop, correct? Usually you have to enable the external display using a function key, which is typically something like Fn F2 or something like that. You select it once, and video transfers to the other display, then you select it again and it becomes a shared display (same image on both) and you do it again and it becomes two different displays that you can extend the desktop to.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    CPU
    Intel i7 3770K
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte Z77X-UD4 TH
    Memory
    16GB DDR3 1600
    Graphics Card(s)
    nVidia GTX 650
    Sound Card
    Onboard Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Auria 27" IPS + 2x Samsung 23"
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1440 + 2x 2048x1152
    Hard Drives
    Corsair m4 256GB, 2 WD 2TB drives
    Case
    Antec SOLO II
    Keyboard
    Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000
    Mouse
    Logitech MX
I forced a different Intel HD Graphics driver to load using Device Mangler. Then uninstalled the previous. Windows found the monitor. All is good. But now I have another question that I will post in another thread.

thanks for your help

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
hello all. i solved the problem in windows 8.1. on other windows your computer is left side of your 2nd device............and windows 8.1 your computer is right side of your device. if your extended device is tv, just move your mouse out of your tv right then you will see ur mouse on your computer.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows8
Back