Win32 is the true Windows 8 (for now...)

Actually, the desktop works just fine without DWM. If you use a shell replacement such as explorer7, the windows system is fully functional without desktop composition.

You didn't actually read what I wrote. Instead, you responded to something you think I said. Let me repeat. DWM merges the two subsystems. So the fact that you can't use both if you kill DWM is not exactly rocket science.

Well, yes, but it shows that the desktop is the primary subsystem while the other subsystem is slapped on top.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 RTM (Retinas taking damage...)
    CPU
    i5 2500
    Motherboard
    msi p67a-g43
    Memory
    16 GB DDR3 1333
    Graphics Card(s)
    2x Nvidia 9800 GTX+
Well, yes, but it shows that the desktop is the primary subsystem while the other subsystem is slapped on top.

No, it doesn't. Metro and Win32 are two separate subsystems. They run side by side, not one on top of the other. DWM is what allows you to view both at the same time. It does not mean one is "slapped on top" of the other.

DWM is merely a viewer of the actual desktops for both subsystems.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    CPU
    Intel i7 3770K
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte Z77X-UD4 TH
    Memory
    16GB DDR3 1600
    Graphics Card(s)
    nVidia GTX 650
    Sound Card
    Onboard Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Auria 27" IPS + 2x Samsung 23"
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1440 + 2x 2048x1152
    Hard Drives
    Corsair m4 256GB, 2 WD 2TB drives
    Case
    Antec SOLO II
    Keyboard
    Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000
    Mouse
    Logitech MX

No, it doesn't. Metro and Win32 are two separate subsystems. They run side by side, not one on top of the other. DWM is what allows you to view both at the same time. It does not mean one is "slapped on top" of the other.

DWM is merely a viewer of the actual desktops for both subsystems.

Well, it kind of does. Viewing the desktop requires no DWM "viewer." Window management and desktop apps WORK without DWM. You can have a taskbar and some desktop programs running with no DWM present. That's because the "windowed" OS part of windows is built directly into the core of the windows system. The other "subsystem" on the other hand, does not exist at such a low level in windows.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    CPU
    i5 2500
    Motherboard
    msi p67a-g43
    Memory
    16 GB DDR3 1333
    Graphics Card(s)
    2x Nvidia 9800 GTX+
Metro doesn't need the DWM to function either. It only needs DWM in order for BOTH to function at the same time.

Microsoft could just as easily make Metro the only subsystem.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    CPU
    Intel i7 3770K
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte Z77X-UD4 TH
    Memory
    16GB DDR3 1600
    Graphics Card(s)
    nVidia GTX 650
    Sound Card
    Onboard Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1440 + 2x 2048x1152
    Hard Drives
    Case
    Antec SOLO II
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Logitech MX
Metro doesn't need the DWM to function either. It only needs DWM in order for BOTH to function at the same time.

Yes it does.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    CPU
    i5 2500
    Motherboard
    msi p67a-g43
    Memory
    16 GB DDR3 1333
    Graphics Card(s)
    2x Nvidia 9800 GTX+
Are we going to play childish games here? Support your claim, rather than just saying so.

My argument is based on the fact that both Win32 and Metro are subsystems, and portrayed by the graphics MS has published (and someone else published in this thread). Nothing in there relies on DWM to function. Win32 is the primary UI, and DWM runs on Win32, but that's like saying that because you access a server via Remote Desktop from Windows 7 that the server is "slapped on top" of Windows 7.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    CPU
    Intel i7 3770K
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte Z77X-UD4 TH
    Memory
    16GB DDR3 1600
    Graphics Card(s)
    nVidia GTX 650
    Sound Card
    Onboard Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1440 + 2x 2048x1152
    Hard Drives
    Case
    Antec SOLO II
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Logitech MX
Are we going to play childish games here? Support your claim, rather than just saying so.

My argument is based on the fact that both Win32 and Metro are subsystems, and portrayed by the graphics MS has published (and someone else published in this thread). Nothing in there relies on DWM to function. Win32 is the primary UI, and DWM runs on Win32, but that's like saying that because you access a server via Remote Desktop from Windows 7 that the server is "slapped on top" of Windows 7.

I don't think I need to respond to this.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    CPU
    i5 2500
    Motherboard
    msi p67a-g43
    Memory
    16 GB DDR3 1333
    Graphics Card(s)
    2x Nvidia 9800 GTX+

Which translates to - I have no facts to backup my claims.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7, Windows 8 RP
Are we going to play childish games here? Support your claim, rather than just saying so. My argument is based on the fact that both Win32 and Metro are subsystems, and portrayed by the graphics MS has published (and someone else published in this thread). Nothing in there relies on DWM to function. Win32 is the primary UI, and DWM runs on Win32, but that's like saying that because you access a server via Remote Desktop from Windows 7 that the server is "slapped on top" of Windows 7.
Which translates to - I have no facts to backup my claims.
I could respond, but I don't have the energy or motivation to respond to a long, drawn out thread battle with another person. I'm not more willing to play "childish games" than anyone else here. If anyone else is willing put forth any fresh claims, then I will be happy to respond.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    CPU
    i5 2500
    Motherboard
    msi p67a-g43
    Memory
    16 GB DDR3 1333
    Graphics Card(s)
    2x Nvidia 9800 GTX+
Back