Will Windows 8 Work Out For The Average PC User?

With Windows 8 set for launch later this year, the debate is still raging on about the relatively radical design changes implemented by http://www.redmondpie.com/will-wind...&utm_campaign=Feed:+RedmondPie+(Redmond+Pie)#Microsoft in the OS. Now, before I go on, I want to note that I’m not the type that’s resistant to change. Improvement and progress is welcome, and I really don’t mind adjusting to changes of any sort. But, the issue isn’t with people like me; it’s with users that struggled to understand Windows as it was before these radical changes.

Will Windows 8 Work Out For The Average PC User? | Redmond Pie

I have the CP (32-bit) on my other laptop, with Start Menu 7 installed, and Quick-Launch enabled
because I want them, not because I 'need' them.

While I have no trouble USING the OS (I am far from being a newbie), and while there are a few
things that I like very much (the new Task Manager, and the new file-copier, for example), there
is too much that I DON'T like about it for it to ever find its way onto this machine.

I can live with/work around Metro, which I hate, and have worked out where most things now are,
but I don't like the bland, flat, squared-off look, and strongly resent their efforts to push me into the
'cloud'. Nor do I like the idea of logging in to a Windows Live a/c (so I don't).

Secure-boot is a total non-starter for me, I don't want it anywhere NEAR my machines.

And as for ripping features out, then charging extra for them?.....no, thanks.

I'll probably throw the 64-bit version into a VM to play with, but there's no way
this'll be becoming my main OS unless there's a miraculous turnaround from M$.

I'll stay with 7 till EOL, then go open-source. Assuming I haven't reached my own EOL by then.

And that's sad, because under the BS, there's a very good OS fighting to get out.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Enterprise 64-bit (7 Ult, Vista & XP in V-Box)
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Acer Aspire Ethos AS8951G 'Super-Laptop'.
    CPU
    Intel Sandy-Bridge i7-2670QM quad-core
    Motherboard
    Acer
    Memory
    8GB DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel 3000HD / Ge-Force GT555M 2 gigs
    Sound Card
    Realtek/5.1 Dolby built-in including speakers.
    Monitor(s) Displays
    18.4" full-HD
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1024
    Hard Drives
    2x750GB Toshiba internal, 1x500GB Seagate external, 1x2TB Seagate external, 1x640GB Toshiba pocket-drive, 1x640GB Samsung pocket drive.
    PSU
    Stock
    Case
    Laptop
    Cooling
    Air-cooled
    Mouse
    I/R cordless.
    Internet Speed
    Borderline pathetic.
I have the CP (32-bit) on my other laptop, with Start Menu 7 installed, and Quick-Launch enabled
because I want them, not because I 'need' them.

While I have no trouble USING the OS (I am far from being a newbie), and while there are a few
things that I like very much (the new Task Manager, and the new file-copier, for example), there
is too much that I DON'T like about it for it to ever find its way onto this machine.

I can live with/work around Metro, which I hate, and have worked out where most things now are,
but I don't like the bland, flat, squared-off look, and strongly resent their efforts to push me into the
'cloud'. Nor do I like the idea of logging in to a Windows Live a/c (so I don't).

Secure-boot is a total non-starter for me, I don't want it anywhere NEAR my machines.

And as for ripping features out, then charging extra for them?.....no, thanks.

I'll probably throw the 64-bit version into a VM to play with, but there's no way
this'll be becoming my main OS unless there's a miraculous turnaround from M$.

I'll stay with 7 till EOL, then go open-source. Assuming I haven't reached my own EOL by then.

And that's sad, because under the BS, there's a very good OS fighting to get out.

Hi there
can you be a bit more expressive.

What exactly DON'T you like that will force you to stay with W7.

Cheers
jimbo

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    SSD's * 3 (Samsung 840 series) 250 GB