Will Windows 10 make it

In the desktop world, Microsoft's biggest competitor is always itself. Or rather, in this case, Microsoft circa 2009, which is when Windows 7 was launched. According to figures from Netmarketshare, Windows 7 still accounts for 56 percent of the desktop market. Windows XP (launched back in 2001) is on 18 percent, while Windows 8 and 8.1 combined come in at about 15 percent, which shows just how well Windows 8 has performed.

Windows 10: Can Microsoft get it right this time? | ZDNet

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 3.1 > Windows 10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS 8700
    CPU
    I7
    Memory
    24 GB
windows 10 is going to be subscription based - the free - is a free trial of one year from the release date

Why is everybody overlooking this sentence(I marked it imarked in bold red text ), be it my colleagues, or people on the net(bloggers included?:

ms-event-2015-01-21-win10-46-741x416.jpg

Today I had the honor of sharing new information about Windows 10, the new generation of Windows.
Our team shared more Windows 10 experiences and how Windows 10 will inspire new scenarios across the broadest range of devices, from big screens to small screens to no screens at all. You can catch the video on-demand presentation here.
Windows 10 is the first step to an era of more personal computing. This vision framed our work on Windows 10, where we are moving Windows from its heritage of enabling a single device – the PC – to a world that is more mobile, natural and grounded in trust. We believe your experiences should be mobile – not just your devices. Technology should be out of the way and your apps, services and content should move with you across devices, seamlessly and easily. In our connected and transparent world, we know that people care deeply about privacy – and so do we. That’s why everything we do puts you in control – because you are our customer, not our product. We also believe that interacting with technology should be as natural as interacting with people – using voice, pen, gestures and even gaze for the right interaction, in the right way, at the right time. These concepts led our development and you saw them come to life today.
[h=3]Delivering Windows as a Service and a Free Upgrade to Windows 10[/h]Today was a monumental day for us on the Windows team because we shared our desire to redefine the relationship we have with you – our customers. We announced that a free upgrade for Windows 10 will be made available to customers running Windows 7, Windows 8.1, and Windows Phone 8.1 who upgrade in the first year after launch.*
This is more than a one-time upgrade: once a Windows device is upgraded to Windows 10, we will continue to keep it current for the supported lifetime of the device – at no cost. With Windows 10, the experience will evolve and get even better over time. We’ll deliver new features when they’re ready, not waiting for the next major release. We think of Windows as a Service – in fact, one could reasonably think of Windows in the next couple of years as one of the largest Internet services on the planet.
And just like any Internet service, the idea of asking “What version are you on?” will cease to make sense – which is great news for our Windows developers. With universal Windows apps that work across the entire device family, developers can build one app that targets the broadest range of devices – including the PC, tablet, phone, Xbox, the Internet of Things, and more.
For our enterprise customers, we’ll continue to support the way many of them work today, with long-term servicing for their mission critical environments. With Windows 10, a best practice we recommend for many enterprise devices is to connect to Windows Update and be kept up-to-date with the latest security and productivity improvements as soon as they are available. You can learn more about our commitment to enterprises here, with much more to come in the following months.
Everything about Windows 10 – the experiences, delivering it as a service and the free upgrade – means ongoing value to all our customers. The new generation of Windows is a commitment—a commitment to liberate people from technology and enable them to do great things.

Source

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Update Pro in Hyper-V/Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Cliff's Black & Blue Wonder
    CPU
    Intel Core i9-9900K
    Motherboard
    ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero
    Memory
    32 GB Quad Kit, G.Skill Trident Z RGB Series schwarz, DDR4-3866, 18-19-19-39-2T
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS GeForce RTX 3090 ROG Strix O24G, 24576 MB GDDR6X
    Sound Card
    (1) HD Webcam C270 (2) NVIDIA High Definition Audio (3) Realtek High Definition Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    BenQ BL2711U(4K) and a hp 27vx(1080p)
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1080 x 32 bits (4294967296 colors) @ 60 Hz
    Hard Drives
    C: Samsung 960 EVO NVMe M.2 SSD
    E: & O: Libraries & OneDrive-> Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
    D: Hyper-V VM's -> Samsung PM951 Client M.2 512Gb SSD
    G: System Images -> HDD Seagate Barracuda 2TB
    PSU
    Corsair HX1000i High Performance ATX Power Supply 80+ Platinum
    Case
    hanteks Enthoo Pro TG
    Cooling
    Thermaltake Floe Riing RGB TT Premium-Edition 360mm and 3 Corsair blue LED fans
    Keyboard
    Trust GTX THURA
    Mouse
    Trust GTX 148
    Internet Speed
    25+/5+ (+usually faster)
    Browser
    Edge; Chrome; IE11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender of course & Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit as a
    Other Info
    Router: FRITZ!Box 7590 AX V2
    Sound system: SHARP HT-SBW460 Dolby Atmos Soundbar
    Webcam: Logitech BRIO ULTRA HD PRO WEBCAM 4K webcam with HDR
The one year offer/deadline for converting is so MS can get as many people current as possible ...a gentle coercive push if you like. It's a good strategic attempt imo for consolidating as many as possible to a single platform

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 with Bing x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Acer Aspire ES1-512-CSYW
    CPU
    Intel Celeron N2840 @ 2.16GHz
    Motherboard
    Acer Aspire ES1-512 BIOS: Insyde Corps V1.07
    Memory
    4GB DDR3L SDRAM
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel HD
    Internet Speed
    10Mb/s 3 Network HSPA+
    Browser
    IE11 and Firefox
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
The one year offer/deadline for converting is so MS can get as many people current as possible ...a gentle coercive push if you like. It's a good strategic attempt imo for consolidating as many as possible to a single platform

The quicker they can dump the old versions and get everybody rowing in the same direction, the more time, and possibly money, they can save in not having to update (and test update compatibility too) to stop up old holes... and for software developers it'll be a dream come true.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    Intel Core i9-9900K
    Motherboard
    ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    (1) HD Webcam C270 (2) NVIDIA High Definition Audio (3) Realtek High Definition Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Case
    hanteks Enthoo Pro TG
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Trust GTX THURA
    Mouse
    Trust GTX 148
    Internet Speed
    25+/5+ (+usually faster)
    Browser
    Edge; Chrome; IE11
    Antivirus
    Other Info

The quicker they can dump the old versions and get everybody rowing in the same direction, the more time, and possibly money, they can save in not having to update (and test update compatibility too) to stop up old holes... and for software developers it'll be a dream come true.

Yes, it's just better all round. Funnily enough, I thought to myself that it would be a good idea for MS to have a financial amnesty for this next OS and just give this one away to synchronise more people ...it was a prophetic thought. :)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 with Bing x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Acer Aspire ES1-512-CSYW
    CPU
    Intel Celeron N2840 @ 2.16GHz
    Motherboard
    Acer Aspire ES1-512 BIOS: Insyde Corps V1.07
    Memory
    4GB DDR3L SDRAM
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel HD
    Internet Speed
    10Mb/s 3 Network HSPA+
    Browser
    IE11 and Firefox
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
Canonical seems to make it with Ubuntu (free for all home users) and only charging for support and servers Open Stack and JuJu for clouds...etc. From their home page a list of their BIG customers:
A selection of customers using our services

• logo-wikimedia-foundation.png
  • logo-bloomberg.png
  • logo-deutsche-telekom.png
  • logo-intel.png
  • logo-china-telecom.png
  • logo-ebay.png
  • logo-windows-azure.png
    What's this Windows?:eek:
  • logo-samsung.png
  • logo-google.png
  • logo-ntt-communications.png
  • logo-mercado-libre.png
  • logo-cisco.png
    a pretty exclusive list or?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    Intel Core i9-9900K
    Motherboard
    ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Case
    hanteks Enthoo Pro TG
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Trust GTX THURA
    Mouse
    Trust GTX 148
    Internet Speed
    25+/5+ (+usually faster)
    Browser
    Edge; Chrome; IE11
    Antivirus
    Other Info
I think at this point we are chasing a red herring. Everybody interprets the MS statements differently. Why don't we wait until RTM when MS will issue the final Ts & Cs. Then we will know for certain.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    2xHP, 2xGateway, 1xDell, 1xSony
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs
It would be nice if they came out with a different version of Windows 10 then the latest build 9926, what a mess IMO, I have Windows 7, 8, 8.1 what else do I need?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 7 & 8
It would be nice if they came out with a different version of Windows 10 then the latest build 9926, what a mess IMO, I have Windows 7, 8, 8.1 what else do I need?
:roflmao::roflmao:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    Intel Core i9-9900K
    Motherboard
    ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Case
    hanteks Enthoo Pro TG
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Trust GTX THURA
    Mouse
    Trust GTX 148
    Internet Speed
    25+/5+ (+usually faster)
    Browser
    Edge; Chrome; IE11
    Antivirus
    Other Info

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home made
    CPU
    AMD Ryzen7 2700x
    Motherboard
    Asus Prime x470 Pro
    Memory
    16GB Kingston 3600
    Graphics Card(s)
    Asus strix 570 OC 4gb
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 960 evo 250GB
    Silicon Power V70 240GB SSD
    WD 1 TB Blue
    WD 2 TB Blue
    Bunch of backup HDDs.
    PSU
    Sharkoon, Silent Storm 660W
    Case
    Raidmax
    Cooling
    CCM Nepton 140xl
    Internet Speed
    40/2 Mbps
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    WD

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    Intel Core i9-9900K
    Motherboard
    ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Case
    hanteks Enthoo Pro TG
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Trust GTX THURA
    Mouse
    Trust GTX 148
    Internet Speed
    25+/5+ (+usually faster)
    Browser
    Edge; Chrome; IE11
    Antivirus
    Other Info
what else do I need?
10, 11, 12.......... ?
:thumbsup::roflmao::roflmao:
Thanks guys. It's Sunday morning here in Germany, I'm drinking my pot of coffee, listening to Sleepy John Estes, checking out the threads from last night, and just got a good laugh.
Lousy, rainy, cold morning, second coffee, third piece of apple pie (fighting with 2 cats for it) good tennis an very live desktop PC.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home made
    CPU
    AMD Ryzen7 2700x
    Motherboard
    Asus Prime x470 Pro
    Memory
    16GB Kingston 3600
    Graphics Card(s)
    Asus strix 570 OC 4gb
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 960 evo 250GB
    WD 1 TB Blue
    WD 2 TB Blue
    Bunch of backup HDDs.
    PSU
    Case
    Raidmax
    Cooling
    CCM Nepton 140xl
    Internet Speed
    40/2 Mbps
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    WD
This is how Microsoft should handle Windows 10, because the corporate world need a stabile long term release w/o any sudden new extras/changes, just security updates, and home users, want new and useful stuff:
LTS
LTS is an abbreviation for “Long Term Support”.
We produce a new Ubuntu Desktop and Ubuntu Server release every six months [diagram below]. That means you'll always have the latest and greatest applications that the open source world has to offer. Ubuntu is designed with security in mind. You get free security updates for at least 9 months on the desktop and server.
A new LTS version is released every 2 years. In previous releases, a Long Term Support (LTS) version had 3 years support on Ubuntu (Desktop) and 5 years on Ubuntu Server. Starting with Ubuntu 12.04 LTS, both versions will receive 5 years support. There is no extra fee for the LTS version; we make our very best work available to everyone on the same free terms. Upgrades to new versions of Ubuntu are and always will be free of charge.
The LTS designation applies only to specific subsets of the Ubuntu archive. The LTS may not apply to all flavors and remixes of Ubuntu. For example, for 8.04 LTS, Kubuntu chose to move to KDE 4.0 and didn't issue an LTS release. In 10.04, the Netbook Edition was not an LTS. The project will decide which flavors will be LTS and the support duration for each, early in the LTS development cycle.
Some of the latest support windows are illustrated below:
LTS
[h=2]Release Plan Details[/h]
  1. We start stabilizing the release early by significantly limiting the number of new features. We will choose which features we package into the LTS release, versus which ones we leave out and allow for users to optionally download and use from a separate archive.
  2. Avoid structural changes as far as possible, such as changing the default set of applications, lots of library transitions, or system layer changes (example: introducing KMS or hal → DeviceKit would not have been appropriate changes in a LTS).

Furthermore, we define the LTS to be:
  • Enterprise Focused: We are targeting server and multiple desktop installations, where the average user is moderately risk averse.
  • Compatible with New Hardware: We will make point releases throughout the development cycle to provide functional support for new server and desktop hardware.
  • More Tested: We will shorten the development window and extend the Beta cycle to allow for more testing and bug fixing

and clearly state that it is not:

• A Feature-Based Release: We will focus on hardening functionality of existing features, versus introducing new ones[SUP]1[/SUP], except for in the areas of Online Services and Desktop Experience[SUP]2[/SUP].
    • 1. Exceptions for priority projects will be documented.
      2. Because these two areas of development are relatively new, they still require new features to satisfy the original reasons for their creation

• Cutting Edge: Starting with the 14.04 LTS development cycle, automatic full package import is performed from Debian unstable[SUP]1[/SUP]

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    Intel Core i9-9900K
    Motherboard
    ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Case
    hanteks Enthoo Pro TG
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Trust GTX THURA
    Mouse
    Trust GTX 148
    Internet Speed
    25+/5+ (+usually faster)
    Browser
    Edge; Chrome; IE11
    Antivirus
    Other Info
Hi there

What's this stuff got to do with the price of eggs.

W7 is in security support to 2020, W10 probably to 2024 ---- that's surely more than long enough. By 2024 probably San Marino or Andorra will have won the FIFA World cup. !!

Even 5 years is a geological epoch in current computer software and technology (although old stuff can always be made to work for a long time)--look at the Voyager I and II -- still sending back useful info from Billions of KM away on technology nearly HALF a CENTURY old --your Wireless KEYBOARD probably has more compute power in it than those Voyager space satellites had. !!

Ms will do what it has to - support where possible and innovate to keep up with changing trends in technology usages. What it won't do is spend billions of dollars on supporting inherently obsolete systems which don't have a significant user base, after the end of life and support period has passed.

As far as Ubuntu is concerned -- with the Canonical tie up many of its long time users are deserting it in droves -- it's questionable whether it will even be around in 2020 - definitely not as a significant player. One thing you CAN say about Windows - in so far as anything is 100% in technology - Windows will still be very much alive and kicking in 2020.

Linux on the other hand will probably be reduced to Redhat/Centos/Fedora, from Red Hat, Opensuse/SUSE, from SUSE whileh MINT and the venerable old DEBIAN just hanging on as independents.. So looking at the idea of LTS if you are a Linux user means you should choose your distro with care. Windows on the other hannd sufferes from no such problems.

Cheers
jimbo.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    SSD's * 3 (Samsung 840 series) 250 GB
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)
Hate to tell yo jimbo but Ubuntu is running on most large servers and super computers plus canonical JuJu and open stack for cloud servers-.even windows Azur uses it canonical will be around a long time. Windows 7 is now castrated(too bad I like it to) and will not get any more new features. I personally like Bleeding Edge new OS platforms/technologies.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    Intel Core i9-9900K
    Motherboard
    ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Case
    hanteks Enthoo Pro TG
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Trust GTX THURA
    Mouse
    Trust GTX 148
    Internet Speed
    25+/5+ (+usually faster)
    Browser
    Edge; Chrome; IE11
    Antivirus
    Other Info
Hi All .
Read a lot about wds 10 ... upgrade ... but still have a little confused ..!!
I have a new laptop with Wds 8.1 ... as I understand that I can upgrade to wds 10 for free within the "FIRST YEAR" when M$ releases it ..
Is this upgrade good for the life of the wds or just for 1 year ... then I have to "Buy" ..it ..? if I want to continue to use it ?

Thanks .

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Wds 8.1 x 64Bit
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP Envy-15x365 PC
    CPU
    Intel i7 CPU @ 2.0GHZ
    Memory
    8GB DDR3L SDRAM
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel HD graphics 4400 - 1792MB
    Sound Card
    BeatsAudio dual speakers
    Screen Resolution
    HD 1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    1TB 5400RPM
    Antivirus
    Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Premium
Hi All .
I have a new laptop with Wds 8.1 ... as I understand that I can upgrade to wds 10 for free within the "FIRST YEAR" when M$ releases it ..
Is this upgrade good for the life of the wds or just for 1 year ... then I have to "Buy" ..it ..? if I want to continue to use it ?

Thanks .
Looks like it's good for the life of your device you upgrade from W7 or W8.1 during first year of W10.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home made
    CPU
    AMD Ryzen7 2700x
    Motherboard
    Asus Prime x470 Pro
    Memory
    16GB Kingston 3600
    Graphics Card(s)
    Asus strix 570 OC 4gb
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 960 evo 250GB
    WD 1 TB Blue
    WD 2 TB Blue
    Bunch of backup HDDs.
    PSU
    Case
    Raidmax
    Cooling
    CCM Nepton 140xl
    Internet Speed
    40/2 Mbps
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    WD
Hi All .

Thanks .
Looks like it's good for the life of your device you upgrade from W7 or W8.1 during first year of W10.
I think this is debatable, there has been no official word that I know of, on how MS would handle re-installs should your OS becomes unstable. It is not known if you can use your same 7,8,8.1 keys to unlock after the 1st year. Nor is it known if they will provide a install disc..

Now here is the rub, if it is an upgrade then you would need to re-install your previous version of Windows, before you could install the upgrade.

So, this free for life of the device stuff, is just a marketing ploy IMHO.

I truly wish I liked Windows 10, but I am not fond of it, but the good news, is that in 2 years they will abandon it, and go onto something else.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 7 & 8
Hi All .

Thanks .
I think this is debatable, there has been no official word that I know of, on how MS would handle re-installs should your OS becomes unstable. It is not known if you can use your same 7,8,8.1 keys to unlock after the 1st year. Nor is it known if they will provide a install disc..

Now here is the rub, if it is an upgrade then you would need to re-install your previous version of Windows, before you could install the upgrade.

So, this free for life of the device stuff, is just a marketing ploy IMHO.

I truly wish I liked Windows 10, but I am not fond of it, but the good news, is that in 2 years they will abandon it, and go onto something else.

No Big deal. 2 words: System Image

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    Intel Core i9-9900K
    Motherboard
    ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Case
    hanteks Enthoo Pro TG
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Trust GTX THURA
    Mouse
    Trust GTX 148
    Internet Speed
    25+/5+ (+usually faster)
    Browser
    Edge; Chrome; IE11
    Antivirus
    Other Info
That raises some interesting questions. Let's say you have a laptop with OEM Win8 on it, you upgrade to W10, does W10 becomes OEM too so you're stuck with that laptop and those W10 ?
Let's say you bought W8, lock stock and barrel, that one you can transfer to another MB/computer, you upgrade to W10, does that mean you can keep W10 past that computer too ?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home made
    CPU
    AMD Ryzen7 2700x
    Motherboard
    Asus Prime x470 Pro