Will the lack of good Windows 8 apps kill Windows tablets?

New research shows that Windows 8 has barely half of the most popular iOS apps, and that's one more reason that Windows 8 tablets simply haven't caught on. Apps sell tablets, and unless Microsoft closes the app gap, Windows tablets may never make it.

Nick Landry, product manager at Infragistics, which makes user interface development tools, has found that Windows 8 has only 54% of the most popular mainstream iOS apps. Many of the apps are must-have apps for many people, including Instagram, Vine, Pandora, Facebook, and YouTube. Also missing are business-oriented apps including LinkedIn. Also missing are popular apps including Google Maps, Groupon, and Foursquare. And you also won't find many news-oriented apps such as Flipboard, Bloomberg, and BBC News. If you want to do online banking with an app, you're out of luck if you use Windows 8 and have Citibank or Chase accounts.
Will the lack of good Windows 8 apps kill Windows tablets? | Computerworld Blogs

b) Vehicles for disseminating unwanted commercials -- we are bombarded with these enough already -- seems every time I swap channels on a TV there's commercials --I've seen commercials now after 7 mins into a program --I'm sure a few years ago you got at least 25 mins of program before a break (Outside the USA of course) and there was a restriction as to how many minutes of commercial breaks were allowed in an hour. Nowadays a 35 min program takes ONE HOUR !!!!.

The Original Star Trek was 50 Minutes. Next Generation was 45, as was DS9 and Voyager. ENTERPRISE was a whopping 40 Minutes!

The first season of Fringe was 50 minute eps. As bad as faux nonews is, at least they try stuff like this with their TV programming now and then. That first season of Fringe was trhe most watched TV show of the last 10 years. But starting from their 2nd season, it went back to 45 minutes - LOSING a lot of viewers.

That's what all these crap apps are iin the store, they are unmitigated advertising.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro with Media Center/Windows 7
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Asus M2N-MX SE Plus § DualCore AMD Athlon 64 X2, 2300 MHz (11.5 x 200) 4400+ § Corsair Value Select
    CPU
    AMD 4400+/4200+
    Motherboard
    Asus M2N-MX SE Plus/Asus A8M2N-LA (NodusM)
    Memory
    2 GB/3GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    GeForce 8400 GS/GeForce 210
    Sound Card
    nVIDIA GT218 - High Definition Audio Controller
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Hitachi 40" LCD HDTV
    Screen Resolution
    "1842 x 1036"
    Hard Drives
    WDC WD50 00AAKS-007AA SCSI Disk Device
    ST1000DL 002-9TT153 SCSI Disk Device
    WDC WD3200AAJB-00J3A0 ATA Device
    WDC WD32 WD-WCAPZ2942630 USB Device
    WD My Book 1140 USB Device
    PSU
    Works 550w
    Case
    MSI "M-Box"
    Cooling
    Water Cooled
    Keyboard
    Dell Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Intellimouse
    Internet Speed
    Cable Medium Speed
    Browser
    Chrome/IE 10
    Antivirus
    Eset NOD32 6.x/Win Defend
    Other Info
    Recently lost my Windows 8 on my main PC, had to go back to Windows 7.
VLC is busy making their app and it's about to be released. FB will be here soon too. I don't care either way because I have the web version and VLC in desktop. But, I can see why an RT user would need VLC. Facebook... not so much. I prefer the web version.

Because it allows you to watch stuff on your device. Unfortunately, Apple devices can no longer have the AC3 codec drivers installed to apps due to some stoopid LAWSUIT. Don't know if this is true for Desktops apps, VLC Desktop still plays AC3. But the iOS version that just came out - DON'T play AC3 streams.

FileExplorer used to have AC3 embedded - But they took it out for the latest upgrade. So I put the earlier version back in. There Is no FileExplorer for Windows 8, at least made by Skyjos.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Asus M2N-MX SE Plus § DualCore AMD Athlon 64 X2, 2300 MHz (11.5 x 200) 4400+ § Corsair Value Select
    CPU
    AMD 4400+/4200+
    Motherboard
    Memory
    2 GB/3GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Hitachi 40" LCD HDTV
    Screen Resolution
    "1842 x 1036"
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Works 550w
    Case
    MSI "M-Box"
    Cooling
    Water Cooled
    Keyboard
    Dell Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Intellimouse
    Internet Speed
    Cable Medium Speed
    Browser
    Chrome/IE 10
    Antivirus
    Other Info
Upload it? :confused: Don't know what planet you live on.

That's what those apps DO. I can't see how that program would benefit any user on a PC. If it works on your envy thing, fine. But most PC users will never have any use for anything like that. Therefore, Angry Birds so far is the best Windows 8 app there is.
And that's my point. Just because you don't find it useful on your device doesn't mean it is "useless". Since when is something's usefulness defined by YOU?

I don't develop for iOS, so I have no use for iOS development tools. Does this mean I can declare that iOS development tools and iOS are useless?

Productivity and usefulness do not end where your imagination ends.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8
So you are saying it saves what you scan on the System? It is not being uploaded to some site?

What is it, like "CamScanner" in iOS? Well, when CamScanner makes an app for 8, I'll try THAT.

Actually just to make you happy I'll download the thing and see what the frell it does.

Ok, it's a poopity app! I got the trial for the full version. Look, I use CamScanner on my pHone, and CamScanner has way more things you can do. MDScan will only allow you to select the edges of a doc and straighten it out somewhat, and apply a very few filters it has and those are all PRESETS. . CamScanner can make poor text readable- And it has a FULL set of controls for Hue, Brightness and Contrast, where as MDscan only has a few Presets, and no way to adjust them, each preset in CamScanner can be manipulated.

So, I can see that it's worthless for any PC user, and crippled for a Tablet user. And there is no CamScanner for Windows 8.

I'll give you this though, it's not uploading my images to some remote site for some ghod knows that reason.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    AMD 4400+/4200+
    Motherboard
    Memory
    2 GB/3GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Hitachi 40" LCD HDTV
    Screen Resolution
    "1842 x 1036"
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Works 550w
    Case
    MSI "M-Box"
    Cooling
    Water Cooled
    Keyboard
    Dell Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Intellimouse
    Internet Speed
    Cable Medium Speed
    Browser
    Chrome/IE 10
    Antivirus
    Other Info
Back