Will Consumer preview allow upgrading?

I usually always do a clean install, but went with the upgrade from Windows 7 to the Win 8 consumer preview today, and it actually went really well... flawless as far as I can see. I was pretty surprised to be honest.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Consumer Preview
I usually always do a clean install, but went with the upgrade from Windows 7 to the Win 8 consumer preview today, and it actually went really well... flawless as far as I can see. I was pretty surprised to be honest.
How did you install because I tried upgrading and I keep getting a white screen of death after it finishes installing and preparing.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
    CPU
    Intel Core i3 (3.7ghz)
    Motherboard
    Asus
    Memory
    4GB DDR3 1600
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia GTX 560
How did you install because I tried upgrading and I keep getting a white screen of death after it finishes installing and preparing.

Well, after downloading I basically just followed the steps in the installation wizard. I didn't really have any problems and its running normally as far as I can tell. I had a pretty fresh Win 7 install going... only a couple weeks... so that may have helped.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Consumer Preview
I had the opposite problem. I wanted to install it in double boot and got an upgrade without ever having a chance to direct it to another partition. Had to use my Win7 image to get things back in order.

I then installed it in vBox where things went smoothly. But there I have the problem that I cannot get full screen resolution - it work a lot better with Ubuntu though.

My conclusion - the thing is not ready for prime time.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    System Manufacturer/Model
    2xHP, 2xGateway, 1xDell, 1xSony
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs
I did an upgrade on a laptop that I use for such experimenting. I was very surprised at how little trouble I had. The OS install would not move forward until I removed AVAST. I didn't have too much junk on the laptop to start with which might have helped.

All my other stuff was preserved, My Documents, My Pictures, etc. Connecting to the net was painless; all my programs work. Network Meter gadget ver. 8.1 works but doesn't display internal IP address like it used to. SuperAntiSpyware, MBAM function properly and I got MSE in place of AVAST.

As soon as I get more familiar with the OS, I'll try a clean install, but was pretty pleased that I didn't have to spend hours re-configuring a laptop if I didn't have to. The OS is pretty intuitive and although it took sometime to download, "prepare files", a couple of reboots, and do settings, it was 2 hours or so of impatience. Navigating around takes a bit of getting used to. I had no "screens of death" in any color and the fish did sit on my desktop for quite awhile before anything happened.

I know the clean install is recommended by many, but I thought I'd give this a try......and fortunately it worked out.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win 7 Hp 64-bit
    Toshiba Satellite
    CPU
    I5
    Memory
    4MB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia 330M
    Sound Card
    Realtek
Clean Install And Dual-Boot All The Way

:)

For now it's Windows 8 in VM all the way, I need my pc for work, can't afford to experiment with it. All true I start to think to put it in one of my other PC.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 enterprise x64
    Pc-Quebec / Area 66
    CPU
    i7-3960X Extreme Edition
    Motherboard
    Rampage IV Extreme
    Memory
    Gskill 4x4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    4 x HD 7970
    Sound Card
    onboard
    Screen Resolution
    2560*1600
    Hard Drives
    C:\Intel series 520 SSD , 250 GB
    D:\ WD 750 black with Intel 40gb SSD cache Intel RST
    E:\ WD 2TB Black
    PSU
    Corsair AX 1200
    Case
    TT Mozart TX
    Cooling
    Water Cooled
    Keyboard
    Logitech G-15
    Other Info
    Windows 8 VM is install on his own SSD.
I upgraded 8 preview to consumer....no problems

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Developer 32 bit
    junk system
    CPU
    3200+ 2.2 gig Amd
    Memory
    1 gig
    Graphics Card(s)
    8500 GT
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Garbage from behind local computer store
    Hard Drives
    40 gig
    Case
    No front bezel, no sides,hard drive dangling by it's cables
    Cooling
    Heat rises....See case
    Keyboard
    Old HP
    Mouse
    Pink, made in China, Ebay special
    Internet Speed
    DSL
I upgraded 8 preview to consumer....no problems

Did the Upgrade (WDP -> WCP) keep all your installed programs and drivers ?

I know there are some disadvantages of an upgrade instead of fresh install.

But this time, I prefer upgrade.

Of course I'll to make a full backup (when a new disk arrives).

I have been enjoying my WDP for about 6 months now and there are too many program and devices installed (3-4 types of phones, webcam, camcorder, external usb, etc... etc., on top of many licensed programs). So for me, the time amout it will take to re-install them all outweighs the fresh-install advantages.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win 8
Nope it kept everything:)....not that there was a lot to lose......

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Developer 32 bit
    junk system
    CPU
    3200+ 2.2 gig Amd
    Memory
    1 gig
    Graphics Card(s)
    8500 GT