Solved Wifi is extremely slow please help!

Does your modem/router have QOS toggled on?

Which router are you using?

I'm guessing it's actually a configuration issue at your routers end and not Win 8.
I don't know what router im using :( and idk what QOS is D:
But also i don't think its my router's issue but idk. Windows 7 laptop worked fine with this router. But windows 8 doesn't seem to be wanting to work with me D:

QOS is Quality Of Service i think.

Sir,

you see we try to help you, your kind and everythig, but:
you keep saying that you do not think it's your router's issue
but we think **it can be in fact**
it can as well be: *that* router is not compatible with *that* PC, which one is faulty?

I would do this:
1) verify that wireless access is encrypted
2) reset all the settings you talk about in the first thread post, unless you knew what you where doing of course;
3) perform a speedtest.net with win8(wire&wireless), also with another wireless device(if you have) both from the same position and compare results
4) remove all the "bloatware/crapware" from your PC, you can as well remove the trial antivirus as suggested in
a post above, windows 8 has a built in antivirus (Defender) that shoud be ok, unless you know that you need
something more/different of course;

ultimately, if you do not know what router you are using you may not have access to it or you are a bit lazy :D;)

hope this helps,

Roy.
Well i have looked @ the router and the router doesn't really have some name brand on it. Should i get like the S/N? or something? Also, when i did a test of speedtest with wired to the router, i got ~10mbps, without it i get less than 1mbps but on a good time ~2-4mbps is lucky...As well, My wireless access is encrypted with AES

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
    Computer type
    Laptop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Toshiba Satellite C885D
    CPU
    2cores?
    Memory
    4G
    Hard Drives
    500GB
What wireless Band is the router...eg...G or N? How far away are you from the router? Are there a lot of walls around the router and in your place? Is the router in a central location of your house?
There isn't much of a distance between me and my router. I'm in my bedroom, which is about probably 10meters at most probably? and no there isn't many walls :L Also i'm not too sure if its eg or G or N

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Toshiba Satellite C885D
    CPU
    2cores?
    Memory
    4G
    Hard Drives
    500GB
Does your modem/router have QOS toggled on?

Which router are you using?

I'm guessing it's actually a configuration issue at your routers end and not Win 8.
I don't know what router im using :( and idk what QOS is D:
But also i don't think its my router's issue but idk. Windows 7 laptop worked fine with this router. But windows 8 doesn't seem to be wanting to work with me D:

QOS is Quality Of Service i think.

Sir,

you see we try to help you, your kind and everythig, but:
you keep saying that you do not think it's your router's issue
but we think **it can be in fact**
it can as well be: *that* router is not compatible with *that* PC, which one is faulty?

I would do this:
1) verify that wireless access is encrypted
2) reset all the settings you talk about in the first thread post, unless you knew what you where doing of course;
3) perform a speedtest.net with win8(wire&wireless), also with another wireless device(if you have) both from the same position and compare results
4) remove all the "bloatware/crapware" from your PC, you can as well remove the trial antivirus as suggested in
a post above, windows 8 has a built in antivirus (Defender) that shoud be ok, unless you know that you need
something more/different of course;

ultimately, if you do not know what router you are using you may not have access to it or you are a bit lazy :D;)

hope this helps,

Roy.
Also roy if the router isn't compatible with the pc, should i get another one?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Toshiba Satellite C885D
    CPU
    2cores?
    Memory
    4G
    Hard Drives
    500GB
Can you post a few pictures of your router? With the these pictures we might be able to determine what brand you have.

Try this; unplug your router from the power source, the AC outlet. Let it set for a full 2 minutes then plug it back in and let the router boot up, then check your wireless connection.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom build
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II X 4 965 BE
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-MA790X-DS4
    Memory
    G-Skill 8 GB PC 8500
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD XFX HD Radeon 6790D
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    2l Samsung SyncMaster S20B300
    Screen Resolution
    1600 X 900
    Hard Drives
    Seagate Barracuda 320 GB w/OS
    Seagate Barracuda 1 TB data storage
    PSU
    Ultra X4 750 watt fully modular
    Case
    Thermaltake OverSeer RX 1 fulltower
    Cooling
    Cooler Master Hyper212 120mm
    Keyboard
    Logitech G510
    Mouse
    Razor DeathAdder 3.5

No, also we do not know where the problem is yet...
surely you should try to reboot it as stated above,
and also try to connect the pc to another wireless device
maybe borrowing one ...

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 pro Windows 8 pro Windows 7 Home
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
Can you post a few pictures of your router? With the these pictures we might be able to determine what brand you have.

Try this; unplug your router from the power source, the AC outlet. Let it set for a full 2 minutes then plug it back in and let the router boot up, then check your wireless connection.
OH! My router, I think thats the one that gives you the wireless connections ( I think i was looking @ my modem). The router is ?Cisco - Linksys. I also pulled the plug on it and replugged it in. After 30 seconds my computer reconnected, but then it was constantly on limited connection... So i then disconnected from the internet and reconnected and it was fine. But when i restarted the router and the computer auto connected, it had limted access, would this be a problem?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Toshiba Satellite C885D
    CPU
    2cores?
    Memory
    4G
    Hard Drives
    500GB

No, also we do not know where the problem is yet...
surely you should try to reboot it as stated above,
and also try to connect the pc to another wireless device
maybe borrowing one ...
Sorry i was looking @ my modem , my router is Cisco - Linksys.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Toshiba Satellite C885D
    CPU
    2cores?
    Memory
    4G
    Hard Drives
    500GB
ALSO: When i restarted my router it seems my internet got significantly faster on speed test. Idk why? Do i constantly have to keep restarting my router. Its not as fast as when its wired, nor as fast as my windows 7 laptop, but when i restarted my router and then did a speed test on chrome and IE, both got around 5-6 mbps for download and 1+mbps upload

Another note* I just decided to test 3 times! It seems though... on the 3rd test.. from 6.01 (IE) mbps download, on the 3rd test now it has dropped to 4.12 mbps... Idk why but it seems like my download speed is dropping still! :( (Upload is still the same)

I don't think it's good that my internet download speed starts dropping rapidly after a few mins :L

ANOTHER EDIT*, Apparently on my 4th test, (IE) went back to 5.74 mbps download and chrome 4.74 mbps download. Is something wrong with my internet that is making it drop download speed and then increase. It almost seems as if it is flucuating.

Sorry for so many edits! But now its constantly at around 5mbps o_O.. Idk why. How can i manage this.
I spoke too soon, then after another test it went to ~3mbps, it seems my connection isn't truly strong yet i have 5 bars when i see it :/?

And another note: Currently i am also the only one using internet at home. Later on, 1 more computer usually uses it, and sometimes 2 more devices access internet. Idk if that would effect my speeds, but then again 5mbps isn't really fast.. and if it gets spread amongst 2-3 devices, it'd slow down even more? I don't know what to do.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Toshiba Satellite C885D
    CPU
    2cores?
    Memory
    4G
    Hard Drives
    500GB
ALSO: When i restarted my router it seems my internet got significantly faster on speed test. Idk why? Do i constantly have to keep restarting my router. Its not as fast as when its wired, nor as fast as my windows 7 laptop, but when i restarted my router and then did a speed test on chrome and IE, both got around 5-6 mbps for download and 1+mbps upload

Another note* I just decided to test 3 times! It seems though... on the 3rd test.. from 6.01 (IE) mbps download, on the 3rd test now it has dropped to 4.12 mbps... Idk why but it seems like my download speed is dropping still! :( (Upload is still the same)

I don't think it's good that my internet download speed starts dropping rapidly after a few mins :L

ANOTHER EDIT*, Apparently on my 4th test, (IE) went back to 5.74 mbps download and chrome 4.74 mbps download. Is something wrong with my internet that is making it drop download speed and then increase. It almost seems as if it is flucuating.

5th test on (IE) 4.44 mbps.. yeah, it seems like my connection is flucuating.

Hi,

what you describe sounds to me totally normal "fluctuations" of the internet connection
my ISP drop my speed down to 0.09 Mbps (yes 0.09) if they decide i'm using youtube too much..

is your pc the only device using the connection?
did you made the cable test connecting to the modem or to the router?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 pro Windows 8 pro Windows 7 Home
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop

5th test on (IE) 4.44 mbps.. yeah, it seems like my connection is flucuating.

Hi,

what you describe sounds to me totally normal "fluctuations" of the internet connection
my ISP drop my speed down to 0.09 Mbps (yes 0.09) if they decide i'm using youtube too much..

is your pc the only device using the connection?
did you made the cable test connecting to the modem or to the router?
Ya i did the cable test. When its wired up on speedtest.net, i get 10mbps download. But then when its on wireless, it significantly drops. At the moment, my computer is also the only connection using internet. So far i'm able to play games.. but when im also trying to look on youtube for videos, it makes it really laggy :l
Also, are you sure its normal :S? My computer is a few days old and i thought it shouldn't be this abnormal.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Toshiba Satellite C885D
    CPU
    2cores?
    Memory
    4G
    Hard Drives
    500GB
Let's try this...a factory reset of your router not your modem. To do this you'll need a paper clip. Look for a tiny hole on the back of your router, insert the paper clip into the hole, push and hold down on the reset button inside the hole with the paper clip until the router turns off, then release and remove paper clip from hole and let the router boot up. Doing this resets the router to factory settings with no protection. You will have to access the web-based page of the router to set up your wireless protection...WEP, WPA, WPA2.

If you don't reconfigure your wireless network security, it will be open for anyone to access your network...very important to setup your wireless security...

Resetting the router to factory defaults and changing the router

Article

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom build
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II X 4 965 BE
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-MA790X-DS4
    Memory
    G-Skill 8 GB PC 8500
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD XFX HD Radeon 6790D
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    2l Samsung SyncMaster S20B300
    Screen Resolution
    1600 X 900
    Hard Drives
    Seagate Barracuda 320 GB w/OS
    Seagate Barracuda 1 TB data storage
    PSU
    Ultra X4 750 watt fully modular
    Case
    Thermaltake OverSeer RX 1 fulltower
    Cooling
    Cooler Master Hyper212 120mm
    Keyboard
    Logitech G510
    Mouse
    Razor DeathAdder 3.5
It would probably be a good idea to, but no i haven't. Is there still anyway to do something about this issue wireless though. It would be really bothersome to have to be connected with a wire fully. I also believe this is a wireless issue, because with my other laptop with windows 7, it had fine connection wireless.

The reason we want you to try direct wire to your router is to determine if the problem is the router/isp or you computer/wifi.

If one works and not the other then we know where to concentrate our efforts.
Thanks i understand. And yes this is a wireless problem sadly :(. I just tested by connecting wire straight to router. The speed instantly was around ~10mbps instead of my avg Less than 1 mbps wireless. Any ideas on how to help please!

Any ideas on how to help?

Maybe you should try running the Norton uninstall tool as previously suggested. After that try connecting using a wired connection then go to the Windows Update Center.

Updating the routers firmware is another good suggestion which you need to try.

You might also try moving closer to the router to see if the situation improves. 10 meters through a few walls will typically not be a good connection at all, wireless isn't magic. ;)

Are you sure the model number is C885D because the only models showing at the Toshiba site are for C855D and there is another set of numbers on the end of that which are required in order to see if there are any new drivers for your laptop.

If this is a new laptop with factory installed bloatware and trial versions of anti virus software you will want to uninstall those completely from your system. This can take considerable time but often times will fix these types of problems.
Thank you for trying to help! I forgot to put the numbers found. I updated the numbers at the end and it is C855D-S5116. And yes this did come with a trial version antivirus,(Norton 30 days), but also what else should i do? Bloatware? What is considered bloatware that i should delete?

You should uninstall the Norton A/V using the special tool designed for the job.
https://support.norton.com/sp/en/us...ect_pubweb&product=home&pvid=f-home&version=1

After that you should use a wired connection to update your system via the Windows Update Center. I say this because your wireless is not presently up to the task.

According to the Toshiba support site there are no updated drivers available for you model number so the Windows Update Center is your best bet to update your system.

You didn't mention which router you were using but updating the firmware on the router is another possible fix for this problem. :)

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro WMC
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home built
    CPU
    Q9650 @ 4.05 GHz
    Motherboard
    Gforce 780i SLI FTW
    Memory
    8GB Gskill DDR2 1200Mhz
    Graphics Card(s)
    GTX-480
    Sound Card
    Asus D2 Xonar
    Monitor(s) Displays
    HannsG
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    Gskill 120GB SSD
    PSU
    Thermal Take 1000watts
    Case
    Thermal Take Xtreme
    Cooling
    9 fans air cooled
    Keyboard
    G15 logitech
    Mouse
    G9 logitech
    Internet Speed
    50mbps
Thank you all for the good answers. Although i'm not too sure how i am going to end up fixing this issue, it seems manageable. I just wish there was something that was easy to do. But sadly, it seems a bit more complicated than that. Thanks again!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Toshiba Satellite C885D
    CPU
    2cores?
    Memory
    4G
    Hard Drives
    500GB
There really is only 2 possible solutions to your problem.

1. Your routers wifi settings need to be checked and tweaked , perhaps a reset to defaults and re-enter them , can be a long job and confusing if you aren't savvy with what they all do.

2. The Windows 8 drivers you are currently using for your wifi in your laptop aren't fully compatible/have some issues with windows 8 or need updating from the manufacturers website , this could be the easiest solution.

There really is not a lot else you can try.

:huh:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Memory
    6 GB
    Screen Resolution
    1280 x 1024
    Hard Drives
    12 TB in 6 disks
    PSU
    TX650
    Keyboard
    G15
    Mouse
    Intellimouse 3.0
    Internet Speed
    100 Mbits
    Browser
    Chrome
    Antivirus
    Trend Micro
This is marked as solved, is it fixed or did you give up?

Please download SPECCY, just click on my signature below, it will take you to the download page,
execute speccy and under the file tab click save snapshot. Please zip or rar the file and attach it to your post.
Speccy is a comprehensive report of your system and hardware.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 & Windows 7 Dual Boot
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP G60
    CPU
    AMD Turion RM-70 Dual Core 2.0 GHZ
    Memory
    3 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia GeForce 8200M G
    Screen Resolution
    1366 x 768
    Mouse
    MS Intellipoint 5 button (love it!)
    Browser
    Chrome and Chromium
    Antivirus
    Avast Free & Malwarebytes
This is marked as solved, is it fixed or did you give up?
I pretty much gave up, i'm not even sure what to do, sometimes its at a nice ~5mbps (Which is still lower than when it is wired), but currently atm its .1 mbps download speed... It seems its just a very unstable connection sadly, and i am not sure how to fix it.

Also just ran 2 more tests... 2nd one.. .54mbps downloads
3rd one... .42 mbps download speed..
But thank you for all your attempts to help.

Also one final question, would it be possible that my router isn't compatible with windows 8, or that my wireless adapter that came with the computer isn't compatible with the router? The router is a few years old. :/

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Toshiba Satellite C885D
    CPU
    2cores?
    Memory
    4G
    Hard Drives
    500GB
There really is only 2 possible solutions to your problem.

1. Your routers wifi settings need to be checked and tweaked , perhaps a reset to defaults and re-enter them , can be a long job and confusing if you aren't savvy with what they all do.

2. The Windows 8 drivers you are currently using for your wifi in your laptop aren't fully compatible/have some issues with windows 8 or need updating from the manufacturers website , this could be the easiest solution.

There really is not a lot else you can try.

:huh:
For option one i don't know what i'm doing sadly :L
Option 2, i have already checked the manufactuer's website, (toshiba) it says there are no new drivers to update.. so i am really confused on what to do :/

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Toshiba Satellite C885D
    CPU
    2cores?
    Memory
    4G
    Hard Drives
    500GB
Perhaps the wireless part of your router is going bad.

This is an issue you should resolve sooner rather than later in case the problem is your wifi in your laptop.

Can you go to a friends house who has wifi and test your laptop there?

Your issue is very peculiar, your issues are normally resolved with either resetting your modem/router or uninstalling your network drivers. But you have done both and the problem still persists..

Is your modem or router free standing or are they stacked passing heat from one device to the other? If theyre stacked, unstack them and let them breathe.

If your laptop works fine at a friends house then you should replace your router. You can get one for around $30.00 some cost more and some are less. $30.00 is a decent price. If you want to rule out your laptops WIFI, you can get a USB wifi adapter for $10-$20 depending on the speed you want 150mbs or 300mbs. You can usually return these devices if it turns out not to be the problem.

Call your ISP and have them check your modem, they can do this over the network while youre on the phone..

I understand this is taking alot longer than you expected, but as I said this is not your average situation. You may have multiple problems and theyre taking their turn messing up the connection.

We are more than happy to stick with you here and help you get things going again. If you just want to take a bvreak for now, thats fine, just post back when youre ready to tackle it again..

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 & Windows 7 Dual Boot
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP G60
    CPU
    AMD Turion RM-70 Dual Core 2.0 GHZ
    Memory
    3 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia GeForce 8200M G
    Screen Resolution
    1366 x 768
    Mouse
    MS Intellipoint 5 button (love it!)
    Browser
    Chrome and Chromium
    Antivirus
    Avast Free & Malwarebytes
I had this exact issue. It sounds like we have the same laptop, including NIC. Anyway, what worked for me is rolling back my driver to the previous version (date 6/11/12, I believe). That took me from 3.5 Mb/sec to 20. Hope this helps.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win8
Back