Why do people still go for LOW RES screens

Yeah, I had to give up my 17" CRT and 19" CRT Flat Screen monitors in favor of LCD Flat Panel units for the computers and the TV. One I always wanted to get was a Desktop Publishing CRT monitor but never had the money, haven't checked if one is made in LCD or LED.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    WinXP, WinVista, Win7, Win8.1, Win10, Linux Mint 20
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    2 Customs and 12 OEM/Brands
    CPU
    AMD and Intel
Am I the only one missing CRTs ? My last one was a big Sony Trinitron and while it was obviously a pain to move, I still miss it... Great contrast, and color rendition, true black and of course no problem watching it from any angle.

Cannot say that I have ever "missed" having a CRT.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Intel Q9550 2.83Ghz OC'd to 3.40Ghz
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R rev. 1.1, F12 BIOS
    Memory
    8GB G.Skill PI DDR2-800, 4-4-4-12 timings
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA 1280MB Nvidia GeForce GTX570
    Sound Card
    Realtek ALC899A 8 channel onboard audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Intel X25-M 80GB Gen 2 SSD
    Western Digital 1TB Caviar Black, 32MB cache. WD1001FALS
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info
    Windows and Linux enthusiast. Logitech G35 Headset.
Actually tubes produce much more linear power and amplification than most solid state amplifiers are capable of. :)

Hi there

When it comes to AUDIO we have to remember that our ears hear ANALOG so any sort of high quality ANALOG device will in theory blow away digital components. A digital sound source needs first a DAC (Digital Analog converter) to convert the Analog sound source to digital and then another DAC to convert the digital signal back into analog for the ear to hear it.

DAC's work using a mathematical principle known as Fourier analysis which means you treat everything as parts of SINE WAVES. The DAC takes a small sample from say the analog signal and tries to break it up into a digital set of 1's and 0's. To convert back again it's done in reverse.

The quality of the DAC's plays an important part in any decent digital sound system (as obviously the speakers etc). So even before comparing Analog vs digital sound amplifiers you have potential losses and distortion that can be caused by the DAC's. Also an analog system has an infinite set of gradations -- for example if there are any digital photographers out there you know how hard it is to get a really stunning Black and White print -- there are an infinite number of gradations in the grey scale which can't be reproduced on a purely digital format - usually the digital format takes say 16 / 32 bits at the most. For colour this works as the eye isn't that sensitive - but it fails miserably on black and white !!!.

The Analog amplifiers aren't old wives tales - they can easily outperform any digital component. Vinyl is different though in the sense that there's FRICTION involved and it's very hard to re-produce accurately a mechanical representation of sound without introducing noise and other errors - although modern equipment is very good indeed.

Most computer sound systems are absolutely APPALLING - but probably fine for things like game playing and watching the odd DVD with loads of bangs and shootings etc.

But listen to some high quality LOSSLESS classical music for example on things like Mission reference studio speakers -- You'll never even want to LOOK at a pair of bud earphones again.

As far as CRT's are concerned - apart from energy and environmental concerns they were always subject to flickering - due to the way the scanning process worked. They were hideous as well once you started getting sized beyond about 14 inches. I'm not sorry in any way whatsoever that those things have GONE. RIP CRT is what I say and good riddance to them.

Cheers
jimbo

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    SSD's * 3 (Samsung 840 series) 250 GB