What I think Windows 8 should look like...

I like it, but I have a four word message - Choice of user interface..........:think:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Intel Pentium D Dual Core
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3000 - PCI Express x16
    Sound Card
    Integrated RealTek ALC888 high-definition audio with 7.1 channel audio support
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    350 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Desktop 7.2" (183mm) W x 17.5" (445mm) L x 14.5"
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
    Office Pro 2013 / Nokia Lumia 1520 Windows Phone 8.1DP GDR1
I like it, but I have a four word message - Choice of user interface..........:think:

My experience has been very nice so far though. I mean this os is still not a finished product and its still a solid one. This os really makes proper utilisation of resources, boots up amazingly fast, shuts down quickly, far faster search results, even shows search predictions like search engines.
And Windows Store, according to me atleast, is something which will be something revolutionary for windows operating systems so far.
I agree from business point of view that microsoft may not find enough users willing to upgrade to W8 but as far as I am concerned, there are just more reasons to upgrade than not. I like the total concept and I am sure that many others are like me too !!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1, Windows 7, Linux Mint 14
    HP Pavillion g4
    CPU
    Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-2330M CPU @ 2.20GHz
    Memory
    4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    1 GB Radeon Graphics
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Generic PnP Monitor
    Screen Resolution
    1366x768
    Hard Drives
    500 GB HDD
You can do that with rainmeter on Windows 7 or is that what you did?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Consumer Preview
    CPU
    Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo T6600 @ 2.20GHz 2.20GHz
    Memory
    4.00 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4300 Series
You, as always, do have a choice of user interface. Try using Windows classic shell. It gives you a Windows-98 style start menu desktop and defaults to the desktop everytime you boot Windows 8. It essentially disables Metro until you choose to uninstall Classic Shell in the control panel. I really like the Win98 start menu and think many people should think about trying it.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 pre-release
    Acer Aspire One eM350
    CPU
    Atom N450
    Motherboard
    Mobile Intel NM10 Express
    Memory
    1 GB DDR2
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel GMA 3150 64MB
    Sound Card
    Realtek
    Monitor(s) Displays
    10.1"
    Screen Resolution
    1024X600
    Hard Drives
    160GB
    Mouse
    Synaptics touchpad
If Windows keep the Windows 95 interface but just updated compatibilities it would be heaps good.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Consumer Preview
    CPU
    Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo T6600 @ 2.20GHz 2.20GHz
    Memory
    4.00 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4300 Series
I think there is a little anxiety about the Metro UI and, (Who knows?), maybe people will be swearing by Metro in the future and developing custom applications that make it fun and interesting. I seem to remember the great anxiety over the Win95 interface because it was replacing the good old, reliable DOS 3.0/6.0 command line. As you correctly point out, a return to the old style Windows menu would be comforting and would, I think, contribute to a great deal of productive usage. I do wish that Metro was customizable: maybe different colors and different style buttons

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 pre-release
    Acer Aspire One eM350
    CPU
    Atom N450
    Motherboard
    Memory
    1 GB DDR2
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel GMA 3150 64MB
    Sound Card
    Realtek
    Monitor(s) Displays
    10.1"
    Screen Resolution
    1024X600
    Hard Drives
    160GB
    Mouse
    Synaptics touchpad
... And better layout options, and resizable and metro apps that were resizable (Photoshop may need 100% of a 1920x1280 display but does metro sudoku need that? Or even 1/10th that?!? (No, the current snapping in metro is WAY under performing, even when you find an app that supports it)) And a better way of browsing large application lists rather than making you type in file names or search though an enormous grid of tiles that all look exactly the same.

Etc. Etc.

I suppose that SOME day Metro on the desktop could grow into something that is really usable, but that may take 10 years from now. This 0.1 version is a barely functional starting point...

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7/8
I'm enjoying the Metro look and feel. Since it is in 1st place of order, the desktop/start menu called the Metro Start Screen implantation will eventually push out the legacy desktop as it did with the Start Button and Start Menu. I say good bye and long riddance!

For the sake of not writing a long post, refer here on my thoughts: http://www.eightforums.com/general-...s-controversial-decision-removal-start-2.html

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
The legacy desktop will /never/ be pushed out unless metro itself becomes a lot more desktop like.

Either that or anyone that does anything significant with their machine will move to Mac or Linux or some other "real" desktop machine.

That is a FACT.

It's fine if you think you can live entirely in a metro world (as it exists today) but it is crazy to think that you can just get rid of the desktop across the board. It's NOT going to happen. At least not from the universe. If Microsoft wants to become the Toy OS Company producing micky mouse UIs on electronic gadgets exclusively and completely abandon the entire production and professional sector then sure, they may do that, but it'll be the last straw for them...

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7/8
I'm enjoying the Metro look and feel. Since it is in 1st place of order, the desktop/start menu called the Metro Start Screen implantation will eventually push out the legacy desktop as it did with the Start Button and Start Menu. I say good bye and long riddance!

For the sake of not writing a long post, refer here on my thoughts: http://www.eightforums.com/general-...s-controversial-decision-removal-start-2.html

The word "logic" hardly applies in that title.

It is quite extraordinary that some folk cannot grasp the fact not everyone uses their machine the same way, or for the same things.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
Here is my offering, put together by cut and pasting various elements of my own W8 installation.
It attempts to bring together the two differing aspects of W8 i.e. the full screen tablet approach and the traditional desktop.
The metro start screen being reduced to a folder when in desktop mode complete with app shortcuts when in desktop view with 4 controls
- minimise, window, fullscreen, and charms icon (bell).
It can be opened from icon pinned to taskbar or shortcut from a start menu.
metrowindow.png

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    xp , 7Pro, 8RP, Android phone, Tablet
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom
    CPU
    q6600@3Ghz, amd 965 etc etc
    Motherboard
    gigabyte
    Memory
    8gb per
    Graphics Card(s)
    gts450 ,560gt etc
    Monitor(s) Displays
    3xsamsung 24in
    Screen Resolution
    3, 1920x1200
    Hard Drives
    To many! spread across 4 desktops,3 laptops 1 netbook
    ssd, sata 3's ide etc
    PSU
    Hyper Modular 600W
    Case
    lian li
    Cooling
    artic
    Internet Speed
    60Mb
    Other Info
    Basically the house has 4 desktops 3 in the study + the wifes,
    3 laptops 1 netbook 2 android tablets 2 android smart phones
    and ipad and iphone
That would be ok, I would probably arrange it down the right side of the monitor with all the live tile apps lined up vertically. then I could scroll to other metro apps if I wanted. What I would want THEN is to have the metro apps actually launch outside the metro "panel" and be resizable/placable on the desktop.

I would have had virtually zero complaints about that.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7/8
Excuse me for not quoting for I'm on my Droid.

@ FSeal - I beg not to differ with you, but the avalanche is already heading down the mountain. The Metro Screen is the new desktop. They will push out the legacy desktop if it works out the way I think it will. Perhaps you'll have the opportunity to add one as an M$ Metro app.

I doubt M$ will lose customers. In fact they'll gain much more for the reason of app options and simplicity. I doubt that companies will train employees to learn new OSs for many are Windows brain burned.

Call it a toy if you like. I liked my toys when I was young and still do now that I'm old. 8 ToyBoy! I like that better than FanBoy. :)

@ FSeal - Who's logic? Yours? What is logic other than the way of coming to one's answer to a problem or opinion of what the answer should be? You might also get your chance at choice of the desktop app.

@besb - Very smart compromise for now, but I think things are going to change drastically.

Battery low warning! Gotta go. 2-a-roo for now.....

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
Yes, I didn't state it as such but I would also like the apps launched in a window.
My current demo, for friends who visit, is to ask them which is the best use of screen real-estate by first launching metro weather - then going to the desktop where a gadget gives the weather in a 120x80 box on the 1920x1200 screen.
I then have an uphill struggle to convince them that W8 is really OK and should at least take advantage of the initial offer
even if they do not upgrade immediately.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom
    CPU
    Motherboard
    gigabyte
    Memory
    8gb per
    Graphics Card(s)
    gts450 ,560gt etc
    Monitor(s) Displays
    3xsamsung 24in
    Screen Resolution
    3, 1920x1200
    Hard Drives
    ssd, sata 3's ide etc
    PSU
    Hyper Modular 600W
    Case
    lian li
    Cooling
    artic
    Internet Speed
    60Mb
    Other Info
    and ipad and iphone
I've out grown toys...

I am a grown up and I am a prolifically creative "producer".

Your vision of the future of computing is a sea of mindless consumers slowly shovelling heir money at Microsoft minute my minute, day by day if you allow Microsoft to have things the way you think they are going.

But you know what? We already got Apple and Android for that. We don't need ALL options to be nothing BUT that do we?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7/8
HippsieGypsie, I can't agree with you on any way whatsoever.
You are saying that the future desktop will open any program full-screen 1 at a time
That is what the metro only interface does. You imply that you should not be allowed to drop to the desktop and run say half a dozen windowed programs. (what is the point in having a multi-cored processor) a relatively simply tablet maybe, my android only has 2 but i run several simultaneous "apps" on that.
If you are trying to say that the desktop will evolve over time , then I would agree but that is not Metro as proposed.
PCs are productivity tools and in the case of corporations and 10000s plus would have to change and staff be trained the cost of which is one of the problems that any vender needs to address.
I notice in your spec you suggest adding a touch screen just for W8 - why? you cant use the second unless you open up the desktop.
In my case my arms are not long enough as I sit back to view 3 24in screens @1920x1200, I too love my toys.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom
    CPU
    Motherboard
    gigabyte
    Memory
    8gb per
    Graphics Card(s)
    gts450 ,560gt etc
    Monitor(s) Displays
    3xsamsung 24in
    Screen Resolution
    3, 1920x1200
    Hard Drives
    ssd, sata 3's ide etc
    PSU
    Hyper Modular 600W
    Case
    lian li
    Cooling
    artic
    Internet Speed
    60Mb
    Other Info
    and ipad and iphone
Besb,

Your idea would probably be just fine.

Infinitely preferable to what MS is shoving out now.

Isn't that pretty much what Apple does tho?

They have a proper desktop o/s and are incorporating litlle shorcut /launcher things to get to your apps if you want them.

They don't take over the entire o/s.

Much more sensible.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
... And a better way of browsing large application lists rather than making you type in file names or search though an enormous grid of tiles that all look exactly the same.

Etc. Etc.

I suppose that SOME day Metro on the desktop could grow into something that is really usable, but that may take 10 years from now. This 0.1 version is a barely functional starting point...

Have you tried unpinning some of your less-used apps? Also, how many apps are incompatible with Metro? I haven't found a single app that did not work with Metro. Naturally, some apps run better in the desktop. How many of these "large applications" do you actually use?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 pre-release
    Acer Aspire One eM350
    CPU
    Atom N450
    Motherboard
    Memory
    1 GB DDR2
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel GMA 3150 64MB
    Sound Card
    Realtek
    Monitor(s) Displays
    10.1"
    Screen Resolution
    1024X600
    Hard Drives
    160GB
    Mouse
    Synaptics touchpad
I've out grown toys...

I am a grown up and I am a prolifically creative "producer".

Your vision of the future of computing is a sea of mindless consumers slowly shovelling heir money at Microsoft minute my minute, day by day if you allow Microsoft to have things the way you think they are going.

But you know what? We already got Apple and Android for that. We don't need ALL options to be nothing BUT that do we?

Just one of my points if one looks at it from their business point of view. First off, your "sea of mindless consumers slowly shoveling their money at Microsoft minute my minute, day by day" already has and will continue to monetarily profit Microsoft. This includes you if you ever bought a M$ product. Android and Apple just might pull up in front of the race and win couldn't they?!! Apple already has in the iPad department if you haven't noticed. I've seen giants such as Kmart fall to WalMart because of bad business decisions, just to name one.

I am one in a sea of billions on this planet. I'm not all that important to M$ or anyone to "allow" them squat. If I like a product I buy it. If I don't like it I don't buy it. It's as simple as that.

I'm so glad to read that you've outgrown toys, all grown up, and (sounds like) an all-so-sophisticated, "prolifically creative producer". Now that you've profiled your person, it sounds like you must own a multibillion dollar corporation similar to Bill Gates with all that knowledge, or at least a CEO of one. A president? VP? Tell me, what would you do to create more M$ profit? What business plan would you have? Which market would you target?

I'll await your answer.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
HippsieGypsie, I can't agree with you on any way whatsoever.
You are saying that the future desktop will open any program full-screen 1 at a time
That is what the metro only interface does. You imply that you should not be allowed to drop to the desktop and run say half a dozen windowed programs. (what is the point in having a multi-cored processor) a relatively simply tablet maybe, my android only has 2 but i run several simultaneous "apps" on that.
If you are trying to say that the desktop will evolve over time , then I would agree but that is not Metro as proposed.
PCs are productivity tools and in the case of corporations and 10000s plus would have to change and staff be trained the cost of which is one of the problems that any vender needs to address.
I notice in your spec you suggest adding a touch screen just for W8 - why? you cant use the second unless you open up the desktop.
In my case my arms are not long enough as I sit back to view 3 24in screens @1920x1200, I too love my toys.

I'm glad you still like toys. :) Obviously you read my post to describe my thoughts or what I think you read. I'll post it here for convenience. It is from here:

http://www.eightforums.com/general-...s-controversial-decision-removal-start-2.html

Ok, so, what if all traditional programs are written in the Metro style as a Metro app or more appropriately a M$ app? That would solve the whole problem, wouldn't it? I believe this is what M$ has in mind with this drastic change of an OS called Windows 8. All programs will eventually be M$ apps. They are being written as you read now. Imagine the possibilities here. They can totally do away with the desktop all together. One will open an app in stand alone window or -> Open another with an option to snap along side -> Open another app with the option of a 3rd pane -> Open another for a 4th pane and so on. Just like the big screen TVs with multi-pane viewing a zillion channels in live time. Or perform on multiple monitors. (I know there's a long way to go so far as snapping and multi-monitors, so I don't want to hear the slack. :p I think this will be worked out in the future)

Therefore to answer your question -> no. What I'm saying is that all apps will eventually be written in the Metro interface and there will be no need of a legacy desktop as we know it. It will be a totally new kind of "window" or "means" where one is in no need of a desktop. What will a desktop profit if all programs were written in the Metro style interface (as we are calling it now) or for a better name of description -> a M$ app interface? Also, all apps will only be purchased and added through their store.

Please keep in mind that I think snapping and multi-pane on a single monitor and viewing multi-monitors will progress with time. Also, perhaps larger monitors will be needed for multi-panes. When one opens a Metro app it appears in a 'window", does it not?. What if one opens another app and has the option of snapping it next to the previous? Then continue as many times as one needs to be able to open all the apps as one needs as I have described above. Or any variation thereof. e.g. -> Two apps opened in there own separate "window" or two apps snapped together in a "window" and another two in another "window". Alt/Tab or finger-slide in touch between any combination, just as we do now. There will be endless combinations.

The Metro start screen is our new legacy desktop and start menu combination since it is 1st in line. It has already replaced the Start menu and will eventually bump out the legacy desktop which is now second in line and is presently being treated like a Metro app until all software is written in the M$/Metro app interface. Not that the desktop in 8 is presently a M$/Metro app, but someone will probably write one to satisfy those who want one.

So what will it profit to have a "desktop" where we historically store what the Start Screen and Charms Bar is already achieving?

So far as enterprise is concerned, I'm not that educated in it so far as large companies are concerned. All I know is that they upgrade and educate from time to time already. All I'll state is that I think M$ is simplifying things. I mean how difficult could this whole new concept of which I think M$ is headed possibly be to learn?

I'll get the touch monitor and wait to add the second when they work this all out.

Finally, your more technically advanced, so I'll ask -> Would there then be a need of multi-core processors?

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Cooling