What do normal people think of new Windows 8 PCs?

One thing that’s fascinating about HSN is that it’s a community made up of people who are very different from the tech bloggers and gadget addicts that tend to hang around places like this.

Hipsters and techies might scoff at HSN, whose habitués are about as far as you can get from Silicon Valley and Williamsburg when it comes to tech and design sophistication, but HSN shoppers buy a lot of technology. And because they’re a community, they love to leave reviews. It is no accident that every HSN listing for a Windows 8 PC has a Pinterest button alongside the Facebook Like and Tweet This buttons.

So I was particularly eager to read the first reactions to these new devices from, for lack of a better word, normal people.

Source

Do any normal people post here? :D

A Guy

whs said:
Did you see the "Buy Windows 8 now" notes. They must think people are idiots.
Yeah... amazing!
As if W8 will be the last OS Microsoft will sell until the end of times! By 2015 or 2020 we will be at Windows 10 or 11 and it will be again something completely different with no continuity with W8 whatsoever.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    w9x
I think Windows 8 is good. Got a new laptop today (HP G6-2284CA) that came with it, and I haven't been bothered by anything other than the bloatware installed by HP.

The only thing I'm concerned about is the computer itself. A lot of people don't seem to like HP, so I'm hoping that I don't have any major issues with mine.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    HP G6-2284CA
    CPU
    AMD A8-4500M
    Memory
    8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Radeon 7640G + Radeon 7670M Dual Graphics
    Monitor(s) Displays
    15.6" LED HD Display
    Screen Resolution
    1366x768
    Hard Drives
    750GB Toshiba MQ01ABD075
    Keyboard
    Standard Built-In Keyboard
    Mouse
    Synaptics Touch Pad
    Internet Speed
    15MB/s
I have bought 3 lower end HP laptops ($350) and all three are still working fine. They are a little slow but still going. I upgraded the last one I bought with a SSD drive and that mad a big difference. The oldest one is about 6 years pld.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro
    CPU
    AMD FX-8150
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-990FX
    Memory
    8 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 980
I think Windows 8 oem needs lots of Windows Updates.

IE 10 also.

Windows should be like Volkswagons or Quaker Oats--- Reliable.
If it ain't broke don't "fix" it with new versions !
Test any upgrades to make sure they work as intended.
I suppose putting out new versions of Windows & letting their customers test them saves Microsoft a lot of money.
:haha:

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1.1 Pro with Media Center
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Gateway
    CPU
    AMD K140 Cores 2 Threads 2 Name AMD K140 Package Socket FT1 BGA Technology 40nm
    Motherboard
    Manufacturer Gateway Model SX2110G (P0)
    Memory
    Type DDR3 Size 8192 MBytes DRAM Frequency 532.3 MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI AMD Radeon HD 7310 Graphics
    Sound Card
    AMD High Definition Audio Device Realtek High Definition Audio USB Audio Device
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Name 1950W on AMD Radeon HD 7310 Graphics Current Resolution 1366x768 pixels Work Resolution 1366x76
    Screen Resolution
    Current Resolution 1366x768 pixels Work Resolution 1366x768 pixels
    Hard Drives
    AMD K140
    Cores 2
    Threads 2
    Name AMD K140
    Package Socket FT1 BGA
    Technology 40nm
    Specification AMD E1-1200 APU with Radeon HD Graphics
    Family F
    Extended Family 14
    Model 2
    Extended Model 2
    Stepping 0
    Revision ON-C0
    Instruction
    Browser
    Opera 24.0
    Antivirus
    Avast Internet Security
I personally don't like Windows 8. I've tried the new Metro start screen, and I don't see the point? It's change for the sake of touch screens, but I will never use a touch screen for my home computer. Why should I deal with mono-colored blocks on a mono-colored background..

I did all the start menu customizations and tweaks, and it just feels tacky. I went back to Windows 7 Ultimate.

I have to say, Window 7 is nearly perfect the way it is. There's no reason to change perfection, unless you're a Microsoft executive who wants to make more money.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows
So far I am struggling with managing multiple tabs and screens. Every time I move my cursor, something I don't want pops up, sidebar, date and time, very annoying, and the entire screen will suddenly resize itself without any command from me. Also, I will be working on something and the screen will suddenly vanish and I will be back at the start screen for no discernible reason. I would also like a start button and a search button in the start-up menu.

My Computer

System One

• OS
So far I am struggling with managing multiple tabs and screens. Every time I move my cursor, something I don't want pops up, sidebar, date and time, very annoying, and the entire screen will suddenly resize itself without any command from me. Also, I will be working on something and the screen will suddenly vanish and I will be back at the start screen for no discernible reason. I would also like a start button and a search button in the start-up menu.

Then you should install a freeware called Classic Shell:

Welcome to Classic Shell

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Ultimate, Windows Developer Preview, Linux Mint 9
    Custom Built

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1.1 Pro with Media Center
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Gateway
    CPU
    AMD K140 Cores 2 Threads 2 Name AMD K140 Package Socket FT1 BGA Technology 40nm
    Motherboard
    Manufacturer Gateway Model SX2110G (P0)
    Memory
    Type DDR3 Size 8192 MBytes DRAM Frequency 532.3 MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI AMD Radeon HD 7310 Graphics
    Sound Card
    AMD High Definition Audio Device Realtek High Definition Audio USB Audio Device
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Name 1950W on AMD Radeon HD 7310 Graphics Current Resolution 1366x768 pixels Work Resolution 1366x76
    Screen Resolution
    Current Resolution 1366x768 pixels Work Resolution 1366x768 pixels
    Hard Drives
    AMD K140
    Cores 2
    Threads 2
    Name AMD K140
    Package Socket FT1 BGA
    Technology 40nm
    Specification AMD E1-1200 APU with Radeon HD Graphics
    Family F
    Extended Family 14
    Model 2
    Extended Model 2
    Stepping 0
    Revision ON-C0
    Instruction
    Browser
    Opera 24.0
    Antivirus
    Avast Internet Security
There is a new updated version.
Mine just notified me of it.
v.--3.6.5

Apprently, they have released a lot of new versions only this month to fix issues but I haven't really updated mine for maybe 2 months now cause I rarely get into the feel of logging on to my W8 RP installed of my netbook which I rarely use at home unless my desktop went broke.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Ultimate, Windows Developer Preview, Linux Mint 9
    Custom Built
I love my Windows 8, I haven't learned all about it yet but its fun doing it. I can get all my email program one click away. All my people are all on one area for all 3 of my emails. i have spell check that corrects as i go or shows me what is wrong and just a click I can get it right. I can jump back and forth form each email program as they are all on one page. I can do Face book with ease. I can find other people with out reloading. I can go with ease from chrome or internet Explore. In a flash of a hand I can be on another window page. Or be on my home page. Wow who would have thought that was possible. I love my windows more each day!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8
Welcome to Eight Forums Blosam. A Guy

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Home x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom
    CPU
    INTEL Core i5-750
    Motherboard
    ASUS P7P55D
    Memory
    KINGSTON HyperX Fury Black Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 1866Mhz
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA GTX750
    Monitor(s) Displays
    LG 27MP33HQ 32" IPS LED
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1080
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 840 Evo 120 GB, 2 x SEAGATE 500GB Barracuda® 7200.12, SATA 3 Gb/s, 7200 RPM, 16MB cache
    PSU
    ANTEC TruePower New TP-550, 80 PLUS®, 550W
    Case
    ANTEC Three Hundred Illusion
    Cooling
    COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus, 3 x 120mm 1 x 140mm Case
    Internet Speed
    20 + Mbps
    Browser
    Vivaldi
    Antivirus
    Avast
Hello, Blosam. Welcome to EightForums. I'm glad you're liking 8. :)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Intel Pentium D Dual Core
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3000 - PCI Express x16
    Sound Card
    Integrated RealTek ALC888 high-definition audio with 7.1 channel audio support
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    350 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Desktop 7.2" (183mm) W x 17.5" (445mm) L x 14.5"
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
    Office Pro 2013 / Nokia Lumia 1520 Windows Phone 8.1DP GDR1
All the Not We's I've spoken to think it is fine BUT they don't like the Start Screen, Apps or Touch stuff. They are all Desktop users both at work and home.

The first thing most ask me is how can I switch all that off for them...

Oh and they usually moan that the desktop GUI is to bland and flat.

If MS would only add in customization features then they would have another hit on their hands. Give people choice if you want them to buy it seems to be the order of the day.

IMHO Win8 is only worth it if you can get the £24.99 upgrade version (or cheaper), the £49 disc based version is too dear by a mile!

If something like Start8 and (a cut down) WindowBlinds from Stardock had been included then Windows 8 would have flown off the shelves.

The problem is there is no viable alternative to Windows... Apple OS is only available with an overpriced MAC of some sort, Linux (despite the arguements) is way to complicated for the 'casual' user, so that just leaves Windows, an OS that billions are familar with and comfortable using...

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Pro
    Self Build
    CPU
    i7-920 OC @ 4GHz
    Motherboard
    Asus P6T Deluxe V2
    Memory
    6Gb DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD 4850 512Mb (Oh the shame)
All the Not We's I've spoken to think it is fine BUT they don't like the Start Screen, Apps or Touch stuff. They are all Desktop users both at work and home.

The first thing most ask me is how can I switch all that off for them...

Oh and they usually moan that the desktop GUI is to bland and flat.

If MS would only add in customization features then they would have another hit on their hands. Give people choice if you want them to buy it seems to be the order of the day.

IMHO Win8 is only worth it if you can get the £24.99 upgrade version (or cheaper), the £49 disc based version is too dear by a mile!

If something like Start8 and (a cut down) WindowBlinds from Stardock had been included then Windows 8 would have flown off the shelves.

The problem is there is no viable alternative to Windows... Apple OS is only available with an overpriced MAC of some sort, Linux (despite the arguements) is way to complicated for the 'casual' user, so that just leaves Windows, an OS that billions are familar with and comfortable using...
This pretty much says it all. However, I did think it was worth spending $149 (Aust) on W8 Pro OEM on disk from retail store. But only because Ex7ForW8, which is free, restores the original Orb Start Menu by importing Explorer 7 shell from a Windows 7 installation disc.

And it totally switches off Metro and Explorer 8. However, you can switch back to Metro/Explorer 8 if you want, but can't use both simulataneously. As I never use Metro apps it doesn't worry me. I never switch back.

You can also get the full suite of Windows 7 games free HERE if you want them. It's a fairly slow download though, unless you're a member.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Ult Reatil & Win 8 Pro OEM
    Built as DIY
    CPU
    6 core 12 thread & 4 core
    Motherboard
    Inel Extreme & Intel standard
    Memory
    12GB & 8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    3 top end SLI linked & onboard
    Sound Card
    In built in graphics card & onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    24 & 23 inch Samsung LED backlit
    Screen Resolution
    High def
    Hard Drives
    Corsair Force 128GB SATA3 SSDs in each machine. Plus several external USB3 and eSATA spinner HDs
If the device has touch, then people are generally impressed with Windows 8.

If the device doesn't have touch, it is much less intuitive to use and you gain little benefit from the new "Metro" (or whatever we're not calling it now) interface besides having a slightly prettier looking start menu.

Whilst it's a learning curve to move away from the familiar, and there are certainly areas that need improving, I still think MS made the right decision to force W8 on people. Sucks in the short term but opens the gateway to a fully functioning OS that works across both mobile and desktop environments. Something that has been sorely lacking until now (and it's not perfect yet by any stretch...)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
a fully functioning OS that works across both mobile and desktop environments. Something that has been sorely lacking until now (and it's not perfect yet by any stretch...)
I am waiting for Android to appear on the laptop scene. The new ARM processors are certainly suitable for a PC environment. I wonder whether Google is working on that.

There is an Android X86 version out, but that is probably a bad compromize.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    2xHP, 2xGateway, 1xDell, 1xSony
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs
Actual subpar normal here... meaning I've no experience with an Ipad, Smartphone, or any other app-based gadgetry. My phone makes phonecalls and can now (SUPER recent upgrade) supposedly take pictures (tho I don't yet know how).

I had a short fling with Vista a few years ago, but broke up and went back to my X(p) after I couldn't take it anymore.

I've never even seen W7 in action.

Which basically means that none of this is familiar at all, and I'm coming from a place that's very very far away.

Having received my new laptop on December 8th, I subsequently spent the remainder of the month (including my entire 2 weeks of Christmas holidays) just trying to make friends. At first, no amount of alcohol seemed to help. We were ugly strangers to each other and apparently destined to stay that way. My X(p) was looking awful appealing again.

But then it happened.

I stumbled in here and opened threads one by one. Still clueless enough not to even know how to formulate a question that might reveal a hint of a clue to something helpful, I just decided to read EVERYTHING.

And one-thing-at-a-time, blemishes were erased, mysteries solved, glories revealed. I slowly began to realize that behind the too-cute and seemingly useless exterior actually lay something quite intelligent and fun. I was learning how to speak 8!!

And frankly I'm now quite delighted with each new command I learn.........

Thanks so much to YOU!!!

:thumbsup:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
Actual subpar normal here... meaning I've no experience with an Ipad, Smartphone, or any other app-based gadgetry. My phone makes phonecalls and can now (SUPER recent upgrade) supposedly take pictures (tho I don't yet know how).

I had a short fling with Vista a few years ago, but broke up and went back to my X(p) after I couldn't take it anymore.

I've never even seen W7 in action.

Which basically means that none of this is familiar at all, and I'm coming from a place that's very very far away.

Having received my new laptop on December 8th, I subsequently spent the remainder of the month (including my entire 2 weeks of Christmas holidays) just trying to make friends. At first, no amount of alcohol seemed to help. We were ugly strangers to each other and apparently destined to stay that way. My X(p) was looking awful appealing again.

But then it happened.

I stumbled in here and opened threads one by one. Still clueless enough not to even know how to formulate a question that might reveal a hint of a clue to something helpful, I just decided to read EVERYTHING.

And one-thing-at-a-time, blemishes were erased, mysteries solved, glories revealed. I slowly began to realize that behind the too-cute and seemingly useless exterior actually lay something quite intelligent and fun. I was learning how to speak 8!!

And frankly I'm now quite delighted with each new command I learn.........

Thanks so much to YOU!!!

:thumbsup:
:dinesh: :party: :dinesh:

Hooray! Glad to hear that!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    1 TB Seagate Barracuda (starting to hate Seagate)
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    Windows 8.1 is installed on a SanDisk Ultra Plus 256 GB
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Arctic Cooler with 3 heatpipes
    Keyboard
    Logitech K750 wireless solar powered keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, but I might go back on KIS 2014
Welcome to Eight Forums DelleMonty. Excellent post ;)

A Guy

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Home x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom
    CPU
    INTEL Core i5-750
    Motherboard
    ASUS P7P55D
    Memory
    KINGSTON HyperX Fury Black Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 1866Mhz
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA GTX750
    Monitor(s) Displays
    LG 27MP33HQ 32" IPS LED
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1080
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 840 Evo 120 GB, 2 x SEAGATE 500GB Barracuda® 7200.12, SATA 3 Gb/s, 7200 RPM, 16MB cache
    PSU
    ANTEC TruePower New TP-550, 80 PLUS®, 550W
    Case
    ANTEC Three Hundred Illusion
    Cooling
    COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus, 3 x 120mm 1 x 140mm Case
    Internet Speed
    20 + Mbps
    Browser
    Vivaldi
    Antivirus
    Avast